Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Related question - what do you do about question marks at the end of a sentence that ends with a quote when the question mark isn't part of the sentence? For example, how do you interpret the meaning of "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks but you get the point"? Should the ? go inside the quotation? If it goes outside, should something go inside the quotation?

Related question to the related question - what do you do when you're quoting a question in the middle of a sentence? For example, some guy just asked me "do you have any spare change?" and I shot him.

For your first question, if the question mark is part of the quote, it goes inside. If it's part of the main sentence, it goes outside.

How do you interpret the meaning of, "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks, but you get the point"?

For the related question, there is no proper way to place ending punctuation in the middle of a sentence. Rewrite it and make a new sentence, or use a comma for the quote.

Some guy just asked me, "Do you have any spare change?" I shot him.
Some guy just asked me, "Do you have any spare change," so I shot him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I got a job offer today at a small firm which is great. Bad news is he can't match my current salary until I pass the bar (have one year left of school). Is practicing law (something I want to do) worth a 10%-20% haircut?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Elotana posted:

The one thing I could never figure out was how to close a sentence that ended both a quote and a parenthetical. (This is an example of a line like that, where you realize "hey, I don't know what the gently caress to do at the end here.").

Something about ."). didn't look right visually. Should I have ditched the outer period?

yeah, no outer period

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

billion dollar bitch posted:

Posner and Easterbrook: which one's the legend, and which one's the god?

Pro-CD is one of like six cases that make me irl angry

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I got a job offer today at a small firm which is great. Bad news is he can't match my current salary until I pass the bar (have one year left of school). Is practicing law (something I want to do) worth a 10%-20% haircut?

What field?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

What field?

I'd be hired in as mass tort but as the youngest associate I'd be doing family law, PI, and general business law as needed.

omgwtfnoway
Aug 22, 2004

Uhhh.... little help here, please?
I always envisioned finishing my last 1L final as the happiest day of the year. I was wrong. I feel so empty now.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'd be hired in as mass tort but as the youngest associate I'd be doing family law, PI, and general business law as needed.

That's rad as poo poo. If you take it and have any questions about Texas PI, I'll help out.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

omgwtfnoway posted:

I always envisioned finishing my last 1L final as the happiest day of the year. I was wrong. I feel so empty now.

I'm more than halfway through, and though I feel that I've done well so far, my stomach is still in knots. Exactly halfway if I count the write on...

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

omgwtfnoway posted:

I had the same feeling. Happiness will come (if at all) when your grades are released. In the meantime, try to chill out like a human being until your summer obligations kick in (assuming you aren't writing on right now, in which case I feel for you).

Secret Asian Man
Jun 17, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

"Posner...Posner is a legend. But Easterbrook, Easterbrook is a God."

--Easterbrook's clerk, now a contracts teacher at Northwestern.

who. or did you just make this up

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Secret Asian Man posted:

who. or did you just make this up

Litvak. She's new! (ish.)

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 13, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Roger_Mudd posted:

What guarantees do you have that you'll actually be brought back up to the same level of pay

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Incredulous Red posted:

What guarantees do you have that you'll actually be brought back up to the same level of pay

None but he volunteered that he could bring me back up after the bar. I guess if I could get him to pay me for studying for the bar it would come out as a wash.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Just got the course materials for my upcoming CLE. They're over 1,200 pages long. Hooray

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Roger_Mudd posted:

None but he volunteered that he could bring me back up after the bar. I guess if I could get him to pay me for studying for the bar it would come out as a wash.

What's your current job?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

prussian advisor posted:

What's your current job?

I'm a practice administrator (in function if not title) for a large group of physicians. Not a career, at least not on the path I'm on.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
yeah, since apparently people don't interpret it in the limited way the case was actually decided.

But anyways, DONE WITH 1L YEAR so i'm gonna play mah computer for about ten hours.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

billion dollar bitch posted:

yeah, since apparently people don't interpret it in the limited way the case was actually decided.

But anyways, DONE WITH 1L YEAR so i'm gonna play mah computer for about ten hours.

I can't wait to do this... StarCraft 2 can't come out soon enough.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

moratorium on celebrating being done with 1L classes until next thursday, tyvm

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

My last final is next Friday :(. Plus it is followed up with a 12 day writing competition with a bluebooking exercise that's guaranteed to be fun.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

7StoryFall posted:

I can't wait to do this... StarCraft 2 can't come out soon enough.

If you aren't playing video games throughout law school you are doing law school wrong. I was known to sometimes login to WoW during Torts.

omgwtfnoway
Aug 22, 2004

Uhhh.... little help here, please?

Defleshed posted:

If you aren't playing video games throughout law school you are doing law school wrong. I was known to sometimes login to WoW during Torts.

It was online poker for me. I figure if I'm not gonna get a job and wind up an alcoholic bum, I should at least train my poker skills. Pretty demoralizing to take a bad beat and realize not only did you lose a lot of money, you're still in law school. Sometimes I don't even pay attention in class - I sit there and reflect on all the mistakes I've made in my life that has led me up to that juncture.

Law school: the worst bad beat of them all.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

I just realized I finished one year of law school.

Kill me before I drat myself further.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Defleshed posted:

Nice, thanks for this tip. Gonna ask an old adjunct prof of mine who ambulance chases and see if we have anything like this in Illinois.

e: This claim is for like $1500. They might as well just settle, really.

Also check if your state has what's known as a 'direct action' statute that allows you to sue the insurer as well as the negligent party without having to jump through the hoops of exhausting every possible remedy against the insured first.

(Upon review, I don't think Illinois has this, and the majority of states don't. http://www.ilnb.uscourts.gov/opinions/JudgeWedoff/AlliedProducts.pdf at pg.6. I think the only ones that do are Louisiana, Guam, Wisconsin, California, Rhode Island, Puerto Rico, Arkansas, New York, Vermont and Maryland.)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Abugadu posted:

Also check if your state has what's known as a 'direct action' statute that allows you to sue the insurer as well as the negligent party without having to jump through the hoops of exhausting every possible remedy against the insured first.

(Upon review, I don't think Illinois has this, and the majority of states don't. http://www.ilnb.uscourts.gov/opinions/JudgeWedoff/AlliedProducts.pdf at pg.6. I think the only ones that do are Louisiana, Guam, Wisconsin, California, Rhode Island, Puerto Rico, Arkansas, New York, Vermont and Maryland.)

I was going to post this--direct action is the poo poo (for plaintiffs)

Like this oil spill, basically every lawsuit is like "Pierre Boudreaux d/b/a Bayou Shrimpers v. British Petroleum, Transocean, ABC Insurance Company, DEF Insurance Company, XYZ Insurance Company, et al."

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
A quick question. So I'm a year away from finishing up my BS in my math, and I'm considering law school. I'll get it out the way and say I've always dreamed of winding up working 100 hours a week, having my wife leave me and living the glorious lovely life of a lawyer.

The question regards to calculation of GPA. I know the LSDAS GPA does not throw out grades for repeated classes. My GPA as calculated by my school is a 3.66. It is a 2.55 if I throw in every grade for every class I ever repeated. This is the difference between living out the dream of alcoholism or you know doing something worthwhile. My GPA since summer 2008, once I got my academic life in order, is a 3.96 over 80 hours of mostly high level math. If I end up going the horrible route of law school is there any hope of written an addendum helping them overlook my ridiculous 2.55 or is this hopeless?

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

pigz posted:

A quick question. So I'm a year away from finishing up my BS in my math, and I'm considering law school. I'll get it out the way and say I've always dreamed of winding up working 100 hours a week, having my wife leave me and living the glorious lovely life of a lawyer.

The question regards to calculation of GPA. I know the LSDAS GPA does not throw out grades for repeated classes. My GPA as calculated by my school is a 3.66. It is a 2.55 if I throw in every grade for every class I ever repeated. This is the difference between living out the dream of alcoholism or you know doing something worthwhile. My GPA since summer 2008, once I got my academic life in order, is a 3.96 over 80 hours of mostly high level math. If I end up going the horrible route of law school is there any hope of written an addendum helping them overlook my ridiculous 2.55 or is this hopeless?

Largely hopeless. I had a similar situation (repeating classes to up the school GPA, getting my poo poo together, trending up in a tough subject), but my LSDAS GPA was still sub-3.0 and my mid-170s LSAT didn't get me a T14 when I applied.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

pigz posted:

Repeated classes count. With a 2.55 you are not getting into any school worth going to. Go do something worthwhile.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Roger_Mudd posted:

We always try to keep a 1st-3rd year attorney around our office for these sorts of purposes. We call that attorney the office "boy," regardless of gender. That is "boy" as short for "piss boy" a la Mel Brooks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfXiIXTpE0

You'll learn a lot, but a lot of what you will learn will be unpleasant.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

ewr2870 posted:

Go do something worthwhile.

Like play a little racquetball.
Or wash your car.
Or cook dinner.
Or join a funk band.
Or travel to a foreign country.
Or run for president.
Or talk to a member of the opposite sex.
Or lube your car.
Or host a weenie roast.
Or dig for buried treasure.
Or milk a cow.
Or have a yelling contest with your neighbor's dog.
Or perform brain surgery.
Or paint a yellow line in the center of your driveway.
Or write your name in the snow.
Or teach basket weaving to clams.
Or sing Welsh folk songs at the bank.
Or plant trees on public property.
Or confuse the person next to you.
Or make a triangular table.
Or hop, skip, and jump.
Or ride a train.
Or organize your sock drawer alphabetically.
Or go bowling with your mom.
Or train potato bugs to do tricks.
Or make a quilt.
Or publish a magazine about pencil shavings.
Or eat lime jello with pineapple in it.
Or pave a freeway.
Or learn to draw.
Or take up photography.
Or learn to tell time.
Or photocopy money.
Or go out for pasta.
Or sew a dress.
Or bathe your iguana.
Or go fishing.
Or paint a stranger's house in the middle of the night.
Or take up windsurfing.
Or change your hair style.
Or sharpen your whiteboard markers.
Or feed a toucan.
Or enjoy the sun.
Or do a crossword puzzle.
Or buy some cool clothes.
Or go to the beach.
Or play croquet with your dad.
Or water your plants.
Or build a doll house.
Or invite some friends over for salmon and white wine.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

pigz posted:

Go to a T3 or T4 with a scholarship. If you work hard you'll be able to transfer to a T14/T1. I know plenty of people who have done it, it's really no big deal.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

Go to a T3 or T4 with a scholarship. If you work hard you'll be able to transfer to a T14/T1. I know plenty of people who have done it, it's really no big deal.

and hopefully you'll know one more, my applications will be complete by next week :ohdear:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Woop done, gonna be a sick summer in SD then I'm blowing this pop stand for greener pastures.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

Woop done, gonna be a sick summer in SD then I'm blowing this pop stand for greener pastures.

Where are you transferring to?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

sigmachiev posted:

Haha, these three posts in a row could really give somebody who hasn't read the thread carefully the impression that going to a T2-4 with the intention of transferring up is a good idea.

Low GPA guy, if you realllly want to go to law school, pretty much your only shot at a T14 is working in the real world for a couple years, getting a 171/172+ on the LSAT, and applying to Northwestern with binding early decision.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solomon Grundy posted:

We always try to keep a 1st-3rd year attorney around our office for these sorts of purposes. We call that attorney the office "boy," regardless of gender. That is "boy" as short for "piss boy" a la Mel Brooks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfXiIXTpE0

You'll learn a lot, but a lot of what you will learn will be unpleasant.

Pretty much your job will be arguing with insurance adjusters and sending interrogatories. Have fun.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Incredulous Red posted:

Where are you transferring to?

Apps will go out to a few more schools but at least Georgetown.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Haha, these three posts in a row could really give somebody who hasn't read the thread carefully the impression that going to a T2-4 with the intention of transferring up is a good idea.

Low GPA guy, if you realllly want to go to law school, pretty much your only shot at a T14 is working in the real world for a couple years, getting a 171/172+ on the LSAT, and applying to Northwestern with binding early decision.

But for the dude asking about transfering make no mistake it's not easy and myself and the others are lucky that we pulled it off.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
UMN Chat: Out newly super conservative Governor Pawlenty (who used to be intelligent until he wanted to be President) convinced his good friend Mr. Chief Justice of the MN Supreme Court to step down, at which point Pawlenty appointed his Whore of the Supreme Court to Chief Justice (she's a Whore because it has taker her literally less than a year to go from Assistant County Prosecutor --> County Attorney --> District Judge --> SCOMN --> CJ of SCOMN). As soon as she was appointed, Pawlenty somehow managed to nominate the loving UMN Professor Stras, who is about as dumb as a loving doornail and proudly clerked for loving Thomas to SCOMN.

Also, the reason Mr. Chief Just stepped down is because Pawlenty took less than a year at the beginning of his term to nominate his good friend to CJ as well.

God what a shitbag. If any of you vote for Pawlenty / Palin in 2012 I'm murdering your entire family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

BigHead posted:

UMN Chat: Out newly super conservative Governor Pawlenty (who used to be intelligent until he wanted to be President) convinced his good friend Mr. Chief Justice of the MN Supreme Court to step down, at which point Pawlenty appointed his Whore of the Supreme Court to Chief Justice (she's a Whore because it has taker her literally less than a year to go from Assistant County Prosecutor --> County Attorney --> District Judge --> SCOMN --> CJ of SCOMN). As soon as she was appointed, Pawlenty somehow managed to nominate the loving UMN Professor Stras, who is about as dumb as a loving doornail and proudly clerked for loving Thomas to SCOMN.

Also, the reason Mr. Chief Just stepped down is because Pawlenty took less than a year at the beginning of his term to nominate his good friend to CJ as well.

God what a shitbag. If any of you vote for Pawlenty / Palin in 2012 I'm murdering your entire family.

I would be more sympathetic if your state hadn't shat out one of our Supreme Court Justices who cannot understand the concept of due process (instead referring to it as 'loopholes.'