Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
My standard setup is a small Barrel from Tatonka (45 litres) and a small (~10 to ~15 litre) day pack, with internal bits varying depending on what I'm carrying.

To Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau earlier this year I took the Barrel and a ~9 litre day pack with proper harness and it fit my netbook, DSLR, a book, iPod, and a jacket...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008
I'm currently in Nakhon Si Thammarat and want to head to Surat Thani tomorrow, anyone have any idea how regular the trains are here? I'm having trouble finding any timetables online.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Bill Door posted:

I'm currently in Nakhon Si Thammarat and want to head to Surat Thani tomorrow, anyone have any idea how regular the trains are here? I'm having trouble finding any timetables online.

Have a gander here. That page also links to the website of the Thai railway system so check that out for information that may be more recent.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

So is anything actually open in the Bangkok airport in the middle of the night (e.g. 1 am) in terms of restaurants/stores? I have a nearly seven hour layover there, so I'll be looking for things to do assuming I can't sleep.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

madcow posted:

So is anything actually open in the Bangkok airport in the middle of the night (e.g. 1 am) in terms of restaurants/stores? I have a nearly seven hour layover there, so I'll be looking for things to do assuming I can't sleep.

Yeah stuff is open that late in Suvarnabhumi. I've caught flights out of there at 1am and all the duty free stores are still open.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

madcow posted:

Bars are open, yeah. Restaurants are open. Stores are open. I think fewer than during the day, but a lot of stuff is open. If you get cabin fever in the airport with Southeast Asia's tallest control tower (!!!) you can transit out and catch a taxi about 5 minutes to some of the roadside bar/restaurant things out on the motorway. More local, cheaper, better Thai food, etc. The Thai food in the airport is mostly really bad in my experience with the exception of the cafeteria downstairs where Thai people eat. The cafeteria style thing on the domestic side is okay, but no great shakes. I usually end up eating farang food or Japanese, which is oddly better than the Thai food. After several tries at poo poo-tastic Tom Yam, Phad Thai and whatever else they had I gave up. It all tastes like it comes out of a central kitchen run by white Minnesotans trying to imitate Thai cooking using frozen dinners.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 9, 2010

Broohaha
Dec 16, 2003
Peter: And why shouldn't I be mayor? After all, I'm the one who gave elocution lessons to Rosie Perez!
Brian: Peter, that's nothing to be proud of...
Peter: *tsk* Whaa? She talk good'nevreteeng!
I'm the boob who said this a couple pages ago:

quote:

So I'm posting from an internet cafe on KSR right now and I'm kicking myself for not preparing more in advance. I thought that when I got here I would have no trouble meeting other kindred spirits and meandering my way around day by day but it's 10:30 AM Sunday and there's barely any activity here and I'm finding it hard to casually chat with any other Westerners/tourists. Hopefully as I get more acclimated I'll start to feel more at home but right now I feel a little bit homesick/isolated. I'm trying to convince myself that it's just a passing aspect of the culture shock I'm going through right now, especially since this is my first time traveling solo and my return flight home is on 6/1.

Well, 10 days later and I'm glad the little bitch who wrote that is no more. Had an absolute blast in Ko Pha Ngan. Became friends with 4 Brits and we trolled the beach during the day and each night. It was just awesome.

Now I'm back to Kho San Road, which is as charming as ever. I was originally going to take a ferry/bus down to Singapore from Ko Pha Ngan but the travel agents told me that there was a closure at the Thailand/Malaysia border and no entry. Then I asked how long before it would be opened and they didn't understand what I said. Service here kind of sucks considering you'd think they'd get people who are fluent in English to help people book travel plans. Anyway, so I'm back at KSR and am gonna book an Air Asia flight to visit my friend in Singapore. Then will:

1. Go to KL (assuming borders are opened)
2. Visit 2 of my British friends from Ko Pha Ngan in Phi Phi
3. Travel up north for my last week, and either go to Chiang Mai (and/or Pai, which has been highly recommended to me by several people) or go East to Cambodia so I can get a taste of another country.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who told me to stop being a whiny bitch and enjoy myself.

Broohaha fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 10, 2010

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Broohaha posted:

Now I'm back to Kho San Road, which is as charming as ever. I was originally going to take a ferry/bus down to Singapore from Ko Pha Ngan but the travel agents told me that there was a closure at the Thailand/Malaysia border and no entry. Then I asked how long before it would be opened and they didn't understand what I said. Service here kind of sucks considering you'd think they'd get people who are fluent in English to help people book travel plans. Anyway, so I'm back at KSR and am gonna book an Air Asia flight to visit my friend in Singapore. Then will:

1. Go to KL (assuming borders are opened)
2. Visit 2 of my British friends from Ko Pha Ngan in Phi Phi
3. Travel up north for my last week, and either go to Chiang Mai (and/or Pai, which has been highly recommended to me by several people) or go East to Cambodia so I can get a taste of another country.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who told me to stop being a whiny bitch and enjoy myself.
Glad you're out and enjoying yourself!

I wouldn't believe what they said about the border in Malaysia, I haven't heard anything about that and it doesn't make sense. One thing that is true is that the border area is more dangerous and it's a little tougher to book travel through there depending on who you're talking to. A plane will probably be not much more expensive, really, at Air Asia rates. I've never heard of anyone taking buses all the way to Singapore, but it's got to run into the 2,000 Baht range by the time you get there. Looks like an AirAsia ticket's around 2,000-3,000 Baht for the one way trip. I'd save the time and fly it. Singapore's a long way and unless you're on the Orient Express it's not a romantic journey by bus after the first 24 hours (4 if you ask me), heh.

Best of luck either way! On your final leg, Chiang Mai is very cool and a good gateway to the Northeast which a lot of people love (I'm an island guy, personally, but it is nice up there). Personally I'd say to hit Cambodia as I'm partial and also because it's worth seeing what a truly dirt poor country looks like as a frame of reference, though if you've spent time in, say, Mexico then you already know. Still, the Khmer people are just awesome and while it's a dusty, underdeveloped country compared to its wealthier, greener neighbor in Thailand, it's a very charming place in its own way and I always enjoy visits. I don't know how to describe it without laying out a broad and therefore sometimes-incorrect stereotype, but the Khmer people are just lovely people to be around in a very open and giggly and honest way. That's going to change (probably is changing) as tourists descend in ever-greater numbers, but it hasn't disappeared yet. Also the ruins of the French architecture are intriguing as Hell to me and while Phnom Penh is largely cappucinos by the Mekong it's still got a lot of gritty character to it. Of course you'll probably end up at Siem Reap, which is downright infested by tourists (largely Koreans these days), but that's worth it t see Angkor Wat - one of the few things I've ever seen that awed me. Still, nothing wrong with Northern Thailand!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you go to the North go on a hilltribe trek. Not doing that up there is like going to Tao and not scuba diving.

If you go to Cambodia see Angkor. Ditto.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
I'm planning to take the third class train from Bangkok to Ayutthaya tomorrow and spending the night there. Then I'd like to take the overnight train from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai, but I understand this has to be booked in advance? If I couldn't just turn up and buy a ticket, would I be able to book it at the railway station as I'm getting my first ticket to Ayutthaya? I've tried to find the answer, but most guides relate to going direct from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ZeroDays posted:

I'm planning to take the third class train from Bangkok to Ayutthaya tomorrow and spending the night there. Then I'd like to take the overnight train from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai, but I understand this has to be booked in advance? If I couldn't just turn up and buy a ticket, would I be able to book it at the railway station as I'm getting my first ticket to Ayutthaya? I've tried to find the answer, but most guides relate to going direct from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.
Check seat61.com - should be possible, though. At the least they'll sell you all your tickets at Hualampong.

Broohaha
Dec 16, 2003
Peter: And why shouldn't I be mayor? After all, I'm the one who gave elocution lessons to Rosie Perez!
So I'm in Singapore and it's kind of... boring.

Want to go to Malaysia for 3-4 days before remeeting some friends in Krabi/Phi Phi.

Can someone help with:

1) How to find a decent/budget bus trip from Singapore to a good spot in Malaysia?

2) The best 2-3 spots to visit in Malaysia if I have 3-4 days?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Broohaha posted:

So I'm in Singapore and it's kind of... boring.

Want to go to Malaysia for 3-4 days before remeeting some friends in Krabi/Phi Phi.

Can someone help with:

1) How to find a decent/budget bus trip from Singapore to a good spot in Malaysia?

Singapore takes a little while to get one's head around...

I could easily spend days in all the museums. They're excellent.

However if you're determined to go to Malaysia for a few days then I'd check out Penang. Don't get a bus - get the train!

You want train number 2: http://seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Train%20times%C2%A0

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Broohaha posted:

Places with Curry Laksa, Roti Cenai, Nasi Lemak and Teh Tarik. Seriously, try all of thos dishes. Also lots of kwayteow-related stuff. The food's not as broadly varied as Thailand or as broadly good in my opinion, but there are some things they do really well. For some reason another one is fried chicken. The Goddamn chicken fried rice in Malaysia (Nasi Goreng?), something too plain to consider ordering in Thailand really, has been amazing when I order it and comes with all kinds of spices and fried chicken that's also well-spiced. However, I suspect I have just been lucky and that it's probably not that great most places. Definitely try all the poo poo listed at the top. If you make it to KL, head over to Jalan Alor, which is a nifty night market street in the area of the main hotel/guest house district at Bukit Bintang.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 13, 2010

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

If you make it to KL, head over to Jalan Alor, which is a nifty night market street in the area of the main hotel/guest house district at Bukit Bintang.

Definitely do this, the food on Jalan Alor is awesome.

Re. Singapore, it's very much about the city lifestyle. If you're someone who's used to living and working in a big city and everything that goes along with that (top notch shopping and dining, lunch at roadside cafes, wide variety of harbourside nightlife from pubs to bars to clubs) then you'll love it, if not then you may not.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

brendanwor posted:

Definitely do this, the food on Jalan Alor is awesome.

Re. Singapore, it's very much about the city lifestyle. If you're someone who's used to living and working in a big city and everything that goes along with that (top notch shopping and dining, lunch at roadside cafes, wide variety of harbourside nightlife from pubs to bars to clubs) then you'll love it, if not then you may not.
If anyone happens to like running, I guess I'd also recommend trying out The Hash in either of these places. It started in Malaysia, so both Singapore and Malaysia have massive hashing communities. Other than the part where you have to fight the Malaysian Chinese for food at the restaurant afterwards, it's quite a bit of fun and a great way to see parts of town that you'd probably never otherwise see (as a visitor, even as an expat resident really).

joemers
May 11, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good guest house to stay at withing walking distance of Haad Rin town on Koh Phangan that's not too close to all the action so I can get a decent night sleep after I'm done being a bucket monster?

Broohaha
Dec 16, 2003

joemers posted:

Can anyone recommend a good guest house to stay at withing walking distance of Haad Rin town on Koh Phangan that's not too close to all the action so I can get a decent night sleep after I'm done being a bucket monster?

i stayed at a place called "pla bla" -- just off the beach but close enough that it's a 50 yard walk to the beach each morning. 400 bhat/night for an AC room is a sweet deal also. just watch the stairs; they tend to be wet and slippery.

okay so now i'm here in KL... and i dont know what to do. i'm right by the train station and i can see the petronas towers about 5 km down the road. i'm gonna get a hotel and go to bed and wake up early tomorrow looking for ideas for things to do.

Broohaha
Dec 16, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Places with Curry Laksa, Roti Cenai, Nasi Lemak and Teh Tarik. Seriously, try all of thos dishes. Also lots of kwayteow-related stuff. The food's not as broadly varied as Thailand or as broadly good in my opinion, but there are some things they do really well. For some reason another one is fried chicken. The Goddamn chicken fried rice in Malaysia (Nasi Goreng?), something too plain to consider ordering in Thailand really, has been amazing when I order it and comes with all kinds of spices and fried chicken that's also well-spiced. However, I suspect I have just been lucky and that it's probably not that great most places. Definitely try all the poo poo listed at the top. If you make it to KL, head over to Jalan Alor, which is a nifty night market street in the area of the main hotel/guest house district at Bukit Bintang.

Is Bukit Bintang the Kho San Road or Kuala Lumpur? Meaning, is it a good homebase of sorts from which to have easy access to touristy sites? A place where I can find $10/night lodging and cheap internet access? If so, I will get a cab there tomorrow afternoon and check into a place there. I found a decent enough hotel close to the train station for 60 ringgit/night (~$20) but wouldn't mind a place more budget.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Broohaha posted:

okay so now i'm here in KL... and i dont know what to do. i'm right by the train station and i can see the petronas towers about 5 km down the road. i'm gonna get a hotel and go to bed and wake up early tomorrow looking for ideas for things to do.

Batu Caves, and if you decide not to bother with the early-morning wake-up to get tickets to the observation bridge of the towers, there's a Space-Needle type deal you don't need an appointment for that offers decent views of the city.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 13, 2010

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Broohaha posted:

Is Bukit Bintang the Kho San Road or Kuala Lumpur? Meaning, is it a good homebase of sorts from which to have easy access to touristy sites? A place where I can find $10/night lodging and cheap internet access? If so, I will get a cab there tomorrow afternoon and check into a place there. I found a decent enough hotel close to the train station for 60 ringgit/night (~$20) but wouldn't mind a place more budget.
Bukit Bintang is the main tourist district and one part of it has an area with several affordable guest houses. KL isn't popular enough to have a Khao San Road, but Bukit is as close as it gets (though there's also Pataling, which is more seedy). I stayed here once, in the middle of the guest houses:

http://www.travellerspalm-kl.com/

Cute place inside run by an artist (creative batik painter) and his wife, a former airline stewardess. They're very nice and the place was too. I think there's a place called something like the Green Gekko nearby that was a little more KSR-ish and a little more lively (and a little dirtier).

joemers
May 11, 2010

Broohaha posted:

i stayed at a place called "pla bla" -- just off the beach but close enough that it's a 50 yard walk to the beach each morning. 400 bhat/night for an AC room is a sweet deal also. just watch the stairs; they tend to be wet and slippery.

How was the room for you? I am reading a review here

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/sunsnowandwater/thailand_2006/1144514160/tpod.html

But it is also 3 years old so maybe they upgraded it a bit?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Batu Caves, and if you decide not to bother with the early-morning wake-up to get tickets to the observation bridge of the towers, there's a Space-Needle type deal you don't need an appointment for that offers decent views of the city.

KL Tower! It's not as free as Petronas Towers (as in, it's not free at all) but the views are better and one isn't rushed due to a time limit.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Steve. posted:

KL Tower! It's not as free as Petronas Towers (as in, it's not free at all) but the views are better and one isn't rushed due to a time limit.
Last time I was there I swear they had a bungee jump from it or something - does that ring a bell? It's right next to City Forest (?) which is also a fun way to spend an hour if you want to get some nature, but don't have time to head out into the actual beautiful Malaysian countryside.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
I'm in Chiang Mai just now and it's simply too hot to do anything. I was all psyched up to go trekking, but with temperatures not falling below 38 for the next few days and regularly tipping into the 40s, it's not likely to happen. I thought it'd be cooler up here than in Bangkok but I couldn't have been more wrong. It means I get to chill in cafes and read a book, which is a nice change of pace, but I feel I need to at least do something while I'm here. I now truly appreciate "off-season". And I'm never renting a non air-con room again to save a few baht. Worst feverish sleep ever.

Heat bitching and moaning aside, I've been having a great time so far, and now hopefully have slightly cooler islands to the south to look forward to.

joemers
May 11, 2010
Looking at the escalating situation in Bangkok now my girlfriend and I are pretty wearing of going to Thailand now, we are suppose to arrive June 3rd anyone have any update from there or surrounding areas?

We were thinking of flying from Bangkok to Siem Reap in Cambodia. Could anyone recommend a nice place to stay there?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

Last time I was there I swear they had a bungee jump from it or something - does that ring a bell? It's right next to City Forest (?) which is also a fun way to spend an hour if you want to get some nature, but don't have time to head out into the actual beautiful Malaysian countryside.

I don't recall a bungee jump but it wouldn't surprise me, to be honest. The forest thing is nice - the walk up to the tower from a monorail station is pretty sweet. Careful of the monkeys!

ZeroDays posted:

I'm in Chiang Mai just now and it's simply too hot to do anything. I was all psyched up to go trekking, but with temperatures not falling below 38 for the next few days and regularly tipping into the 40s, it's not likely to happen. I thought it'd be cooler up here than in Bangkok but I couldn't have been more wrong. It means I get to chill in cafes and read a book, which is a nice change of pace, but I feel I need to at least do something while I'm here. I now truly appreciate "off-season". And I'm never renting a non air-con room again to save a few baht. Worst feverish sleep ever.

Heat bitching and moaning aside, I've been having a great time so far, and now hopefully have slightly cooler islands to the south to look forward to.

Perhaps you should look at heading to Chiang Rai - my understanding is that it's a lot cooler, too.

Buuuut I just looked at the current and forecast temperatures for most of Thailand. It's hot and going to be hot everywhere. You can't escape.

Go to Koh Tao and spend your days underwater :)

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

joemers posted:

Looking at the escalating situation in Bangkok now my girlfriend and I are pretty wearing of going to Thailand now, we are suppose to arrive June 3rd anyone have any update from there or surrounding areas?

We were thinking of flying from Bangkok to Siem Reap in Cambodia. Could anyone recommend a nice place to stay there?

My girlfriend and I stayed at The Villa Siem Reap (http://www.thevillasiemreap.com/) back in February. Really nice quite modern rooms though potentially a bit more expensive than the average tightass backpacker budget (oh noes $50 a night). It's about 5 minutes walk from the main strips eg Pub Street. Owners are Australian, really nice people. Would highly recommend having a look at the tours that the hotel runs as well - one of the few that actually donates a percentage of profits towards the local community, including in the building of things like wells and water pumps for the poorest villages.

ReindeerF posted:

KLCC park in front of Suria KLCC is so nice as well, really good to just chill in and read a book or whatever.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ZeroDays posted:

Have you gone up Doi Suthep, not just to the temple but like all the way up? Should be a bit cooler up there. I think treks take place at a higher altitude than Chiang Mai, so maybe it won't be too bad. Cheese-Goats will correct me if I'm wrong :) I'm also fairly sure the islands will be hotter. Only time it'll cool down is when it rains :P But you'll get a nice breeze if you stay close to the sea.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

joemers posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. What you're seeing on the news is relatively confined. I mean things could change, but the history of popular Thai uprisings hasn't involved long-term insurgencies. They simmer, then they boil, then the people take to the streets, then someone does something stupid and then it all ends in a big brawl and it cools down until the next time. Right now we seem to finally be in big brawl stage. This pattern should hold, though who knows - especially if You Know Who goes on up to the spirit in the sky. Still, I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. There's no reason as a tourist to go to that area anyway unless you want to shop for overpriced poo poo or need to go to the embassy.

As for Siem Reap. On the higher end, I always recommend the FCC stuff in Cambodia. The FCC Angkor is no exception. On the low end, I also stay at Two Dragons, which is run by the slightly curmudgeonly, but helpful and knowledgeable guy who runs talesofasia.com. I took mom there as well and he's always very helpful in discussing things, he's just got that typical snarky expat personality. If you can look past that, he's actually kinda funny and definitely knows everything about Siem Reap that you need to know. On the middle end I imagine something over on bar street would be the best idea, maybe the Red Piano has rooms? I dunno. That last recommendation looks nice. Make sure to avoid any place with more than 2 Koreans in sight at a given time - they come in groups of 1,000,000 on huge buses and take over whatever establishment they're in. Nice enough, but you came to stay in Cambodia, not Inchon. The Koreans took over the Apsara concession from Japan a few years ago, which accounts for the massive influx of all things Korean in recent years.

brendanwor posted:

KLCC park in front of Suria KLCC is so nice as well, really good to just chill in and read a book or whatever.
Yeah, it's a nice little respite in the middle of the area. Like all new things in Malaysia it has that feel of something built in anticipation of Lucas filming another Star Wars sequel, heh. Viewed from up in the Madnarin Oriental, which overlooks all of it, it's like some kind of space alien landing zone.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Make sure to avoid any place with more than 2 Koreans in sight at a given time - they come in groups of 1,000,000 on huge buses and take over whatever establishment they're in. Nice enough, but you came to stay in Cambodia, not Inchon. The Koreans took over the Apsara concession from Japan a few years ago, which accounts for the massive influx of all things Korean in recent years.

Isn't there a North Korean restaurant in Phnom Penh?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Isn't there a North Korean restaurant in Phnom Penh?
I heard that we have one here in Bangkok, I think I might have seen it if it's over on Suk Soi 57 - not sure. Haven't heard of one in PP, though something like that rings a bell - still, I'm not completely in the loop so I'm sure you'd know more. I do recall reading about the Khmer Rouge restaurant they had a few years back. With authentic cadre food. And waitresses dressed like KR cadre. Across from Tuol Sleng, heh. That didn't last.

Broohaha
Dec 16, 2003
Hmm... so KL is kind of... sprawling. Think I'm going to take a flight to Phuket tomorrow and spend my last two weeks here on Phuket/Phi Phi/Ko Lanta.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Broohaha posted:

Hmm... so KL is kind of... sprawling. Think I'm going to take a flight to Phuket tomorrow and spend my last two weeks here on Phuket/Phi Phi/Ko Lanta.
I'm sure you've read the history by now, but KL is basically a colonial construct of a city, only about a century old and not particularly exciting as capital cities go. Malaysia can be a very cool place, but KL's not a lot of fun as a tourist (though I like it for a few days at a time as a break from Bangkok).

I personally never recommend Phuket because it's so scam-tastic, but you've already been to the island set I'd have recommended. I'm sure you'll have fun, just avoid the tuk tuks, the jet ski rentals and the scam taxis at the airport and the bar touts who approach you near the bars and try to "help" quite aggressively. Ugh, the way they treat tourists there is the worst in Thailand. They've started making international news for how bad it is and Phuket's started seeing a drop in arrivals and fallen off lots of international tourist rankings (good).

EDIT: Be sure to go to the Coliseum Hotel, have a steak and read the framed article on the wall from the colonial days titles "What To Do If Your Servant Gets Malaria"

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 14, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

I heard that we have one here in Bangkok, I think I might have seen it if it's over on Suk Soi 57 - not sure. Haven't heard of one in PP, though something like that rings a bell - still, I'm not completely in the loop so I'm sure you'd know more.

I'm one of those people who thinks that visiting NK as a tourist is borderline sociopathy, but I would totally eat at one of those restaurants (so that I could upperdeck the toilet) :patriot:

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Broohaha posted:

Is Bukit Bintang the Kho San Road or Kuala Lumpur? Meaning, is it a good homebase of sorts from which to have easy access to touristy sites?

Not sure about Kho San and I stayed near Petronas for work but BB Plaza makes sense to me as a good tourist home base in KL. It is walking distance to Petronas if you don't mind the heat and a taxi would be 5RM by the meter (haha good luck) or you can haggle with the driver for 10-15RM flat rate. Same for KL tower. You can go directly to hotels and malls and use a taxi counter for a flat rate to Batu Caves (I want to say mine was 19RM each way for what is a relatively long taxi ride). Do Batu Caves for sure and KL Tower for the view (Don't do the dinner, its way too expensive for what amounts to a marginal buffet).

BB would also give you easy access to Pavilion if you want to do the upscale shopping thing, or BB Plaza/Sungei Wang for cheaper shopping (And an excellent tailor on the 1st floor if you are interested in a suit, Page Shop).

ReindeerF posted:

When I was there my apartment had a giant bay window that had a direct view of KL tower.

The first time I saw someone do that I was pretty :eek: until their chute opened. A lot of base jumping groups seem to come and get permission to jump off the tower.

One more week of work to do and I'm in Singapore/KL on the 5th, can't wait.

Smokie
Nov 24, 2005
Will be arriving in Bangkok on the 22th - can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel that isnhot in a protest hotspot? my plan is to leave Bangkok asap, I just need something for the first day. Also I'd like to go to Ko Tao first and do the SCUBA course. Should I take an air asia flight there or train?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Smokie posted:

Will be arriving in Bangkok on the 22th - can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel that isnhot in a protest hotspot? my plan is to leave Bangkok asap, I just need something for the first day. Also I'd like to go to Ko Tao first and do the SCUBA course. Should I take an air asia flight there or train?
Can you just connect to an Air Asia flight at the airport? Staying in Bangkok for one day without the intention to actually go do anything isn't worth the trip into town. It'd be better (if possible) to just catch the first available Air Asia flight to Surat Thani and then get the bus-ferry combo over to Koh Phangan or Koh Samui and then head to Koh Tao. Or fly directly into Samui, which will be quicker, but about 3-4x more expensive. If you really just need somewhere to crash for a few hours, search the old thread - or maybe it was this one. I posted a long list of hotels and guest houses near the airport that are reasonable priced. Probably if you search:

suvarnabhumi guest house

On the SA search function limited to this forum you'll find it.

Smokie
Nov 24, 2005
Awesome! Thanks for the advice. That makes a lot of sense. I just want to avoid all the troubles in Bangkok for the time being - it's a bummer though ; [

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Smokie posted:

Flying is a bit of a pain in the arse. I don't think flying to Surat Thani and getting the bus/ferry will be any quicker than just getting a bus/ferry from Bangkok. There are only two Air Asia flights per day (arriving at 3:10pm and 7:40pm) so you'll need to overnight in Surat Thani or get the overnight boat. I don't really know anything about that, though.

As has been mentioned, flying from Bangkok to Koh Samui is expensive. One carrier has a monopoly on the route, since they built Koh Samui airport, but the connections work a lot better. It's roughly 3 times more expensive than the flight to Surat Thani, though.

I'd just do the bus/ferry thing from Bangkok. I've used these guys before, with great success: http://www.lomprayah.com/. They have a morning departure which arrives at Koh Tao at about 3pm from memory, and another overnight journey that arrives on Koh Tao at about 8am, again from memory.

Their office is just off Kaohsan Road, where the backpacker ghetto is. It's cheap, safe, timely, and easy. They pretty much hold one's hand the entire way to Koh Tao and as soon as one walks off the ferry dock they're met by people from their arranged accommodation - or people trying to sell accommodation/dive packages.

These guys: http://www.seatrandiscovery.com are also meant to be OK, but their only option for getting from Bangkok to Koh Tao is overnight while Lomprayah offer a much nicer day time service that ensures one arrives on Koh Tao and will have a beer in hand on the beach by evening.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 16, 2010