Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Panel 3 where he just looks soooo miserable is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

All of the comics involving Nice Pete are always my favorites, and I shudder to think about what that means about me.
You and me both. Nothing sends me into fits of laughter the way a good Nice Pete strip does. I laughed so hard this morning that I almost choked. Nothing but Achewood can make me do that.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Come and read about me cooking animal testicles!

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/testicle-its-whats-for-dinner/Content?oid=2518292

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The main thing I took away from that is I really want to try Thunderbird.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Chris Onstad posted:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/testicle-its-whats-for-dinner/Content?oid=2518292

Lawry's Seasoning Salt is the one spice I make sure is in stock at all times.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Lawry's Seasoning Salt is the one spice I make sure is in stock at all times.

if we're talking about GOTTA HAVE IT spice mixes (why not)

http://www.greekseasoning.com/

that's the poo poo. It turns everything delicious.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Would Cavender's Greek Seasoning be at home, say, on poo poo you're sizzling up for gyros, or roast chicken, or...? What's it compare to?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Chris Onstad posted:

You'll come for the tale of cooking animal testes, but you'll stay for the fantastic preview of Nice Pete's fried chicken recipe from Cookbook II!

Next week's Mercury letter column will probably be filled with angry letters from sanctimonious hipsters, alas. Maybe a follow-up column about PBR would placate them?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

robot roll call posted:

DO NOT DO IT. Thunderbird is horrifyingly bad, as detailed in this song by the legendary Townes Van Zandt.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

robot roll call posted:

Nooo man. Don't stoop that low.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Chris Onstad posted:

Would Cavender's Greek Seasoning be at home, say, on poo poo you're sizzling up for gyros, or roast chicken, or...? What's it compare to?

I know nothing of it, however a fancy health-foodish market that used to carry a ton of spices and spice mixes in bulk jars had a greek seasoning mix that was awesome. We'd throw it in black beans when we heated 'em up, and they also made scrambled eggs into scrambled awesomes.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Expiration Date posted:

if we're talking about GOTTA HAVE IT spice mixes (why not)

http://www.greekseasoning.com/

that's the poo poo. It turns everything delicious.

The MSG makes everything explode with flavor. There was a greek place I was addicted to in high school that put this on the fries. MM Mmm.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

robot roll call posted:

If I can locate some, I'm gonna have to try it. Thunderbird with a Steel Reserve (High Gravity) chaser. If only Louisiana had the 8% SR I would have a more complete evening.

platero fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 13, 2010

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
please don't drink thunderbird

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

robot roll call posted:

If you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

platero posted:

If I can locate some, I'm gonna have to try it. Thunderbird with a Steel Reserve (High Gravity) chaser. If only Louisiana had the 8% SR I would have a more complete evening.

An evening you'd have literally no chance of remembering, but it would definitely be complete.

Anxiously awaiting Pureed Comic Writer's Arms over Linguine recipe come July!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Daytime Dan always has neat ideas... :gonk:

No wonder the second book is taking longer, he's resorting to furtive reconnaissance of George Lopez.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I always forget to read Achewood for long stretches of time. Is there a way to start at the beginning of a story arc or any indication when one begins?

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Kaddish posted:

I always forget to read Achewood for long stretches of time. Is there a way to start at the beginning of a story arc or any indication when one begins?
Unfortunately, the "Jump to a Story Arc" menu on the main page hasn't been updated since Leon Sumbitches. Browsing the thumbnails on AssetBar, starting from the present and working your way back until you find a strip you recognize, is a good start.

the Professor
Nov 28, 2002

pi pi

platero posted:

... and then he never posted again.

But seriously don't do this at all, man. :(

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

the Professor posted:

... and then he never posted again.

But seriously don't do this at all, man. :(

I actually like Steel Reserve and other malt liquors due to drinking it so much when I was a broke college student. Now that I am a Real Grown-upTM my friends pick on me when I decide to go old-school and drink it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Well now I want to drink it even more. It can be worse than this terribly "whiskey" corn malt liquor that had chunks of something floating in it that I drank one time.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Is this the first time Pete has seriously hurt someone "on camera"? I can't remember another time.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Flying-PCP posted:

Is this the first time Pete has seriously hurt someone "on camera"? I can't remember another time.

All I can think of are self-inflicted injuries. There was that time he cut himself in front of Little Nephew. Oh, and then the USB murder machine stabbed him in the eye...

His description of the fried chicken recipe made me fear for Alton Brown, as I seem to recall his fried chicken involved elaborate preparation including either buttermilk, brining, or both.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Jet Jaguar posted:

His description of the fried chicken recipe made me fear for Alton Brown, as I seem to recall his fried chicken involved elaborate preparation including either buttermilk, brining, or both.
It involved a buttermilk soak, but what I found interesting is that both Pete and Alton's pan-frying methods were the same, right down to the dark brown spots where the chicken touches the pan.

Then again, Alton is from Georgia, so he's got Southern ways too.

Edit: Does that mean that should I wish to prevent being Taken by Alton Brown, I should save his life?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Tupperwarez posted:

It involved a buttermilk soak, but what I found interesting is that both Pete and Alton's pan-frying methods were the same, right down to the dark brown spots where the chicken touches the pan.

Then again, Alton is from Georgia, so he's got Southern ways too.

Edit: Does that mean that should I wish to prevent being Taken by Alton Brown, I should save his life?

I am a Southern Man through and through and I'm here to tell you, if I ever had my life saved by someone, I would make it a point to never murder that person.

It is our Way.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There was the time he had the bag of bloody fingers he showed Teodor after Pete rammed his van through a dental office.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Nooo man. Don't stoop that low.

Says the man who settles differences over a bottle of Mad Dog. Own up to your love of cheap fortified wine, mister :colbert:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Adhesion posted:

Says the man who settles differences over a bottle of Mad Dog. Own up to your love of cheap fortified wine, mister :colbert:
Whatever, as long as it isn't Cisco. That poo poo's for people who aren't quite ready to make the leap from cough syrup to full blown hobo liquor, and need a transition beverage.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

platero posted:

I actually like Steel Reserve and other malt liquors due to drinking it so much when I was a broke college student. Now that I am a Real Grown-upTM my friends pick on me when I decide to go old-school and drink it.

I also suffer from this taste bud situation.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Adhesion posted:

I once drank Mad Dog with this dude. Good enough guy but...put it this way, we once had a Bring Your Own Steak cookout, and he showed up with a cow tongue, insisting it was too a steak. He also once showed up at this other dude I know's house...before going to bed he had locked and double checked every single door and window. He went to sleep, and four hours later, the Mad Dog dude was shaking him awake and asking if he had anything to eat. When asked how the hell he got in the house, he reacted with a genuinely confused "what?". He hosed things up in ways that defied the very laws of physics.

Anyway, that's the sort of dude that will split a bottle of MD 20/20 with you.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I loved that one blog where Nice Pete goes to kill Rachael Ray, but her husband's life is so bad he doesn't.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wolfsheim posted:

I loved that one blog where Nice Pete goes to kill Rachael Ray, but her husband's life is so bad he doesn't.

And he had a secret understanding with the pizza boy about what must be done, right?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Wolfsheim posted:

My favorite Nice Pete blog is this one:

Nice Pete posted:

Living out West has infected me. I am a slave of the advertisements and the shameless style of spending money. I have a good car, yet I want a separate car, of a different shape, for those times when I feel a different way about myself. I even want a third car, of a third shape, for a time in my future, that I should hope for, when I feel a third way about myself. And oh the colas. They are never content with their colas. They add cherry, and vanilla, and then coffee flavor, and they take away the sugar, like a magician pulling away the tablecloth, and change the logo artwork, and keep you ever dancing, dancing, like a madman on a red-hot conveyor belt to hell; if you don't dance in place and always buy more strange new soda then you'll fall on your side and be whisked off to the scalding white-hot pits of brimstone and sulphur. That is what it is like to get out of bed each day in California.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Adhesion posted:

I was going to say something about that. I admit I experimented in my "wild years", I guess everyones gotta try cheap wine. Rex Goliath was my favorite of that experimental period. MD was too sweet.

Also brewing your own liquor. I tried a family recipe for Kahlua but it didn't ferment, I think someone left out an ingredient when they passed it along. Its basically coffee syrup and tastes fantastic on ice cream.

nmg
Jul 27, 2002

A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
That quote about how a white person fails at cooking chinese food is just one of those things that is so strikingly apt. I'd love to get drunk with Onstad and cook weird food, but for some reason that sounds sad and creepy when it's a stranger from the internet saying it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

nmg posted:

I'd love to get drunk with Onstad and cook weird food, but for some reason that sounds sad and creepy when it's a stranger from the internet saying it.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I would pretend that I am on hard times, and then using Onstad's sense of charity, I would "temporarily" move into his house slowly gaining his family's trust. Then I would get a hair cut to look exactly like him, and I would start wearing his clothes and slowly get his family to love me more than him. Eventually I assume he would move out and I could continue Achewood by myself. The strip would suffer because I have no talent, and I would eventually fall into a shame spiral studded with habitual drug use and alcoholism. This is all laid out in my diary which I will post later.

You know what, you may be right? Just a beer and a cookout with him may be easier.

FAKE EDIT:
Just joking, Mr. Onstad. I am not going to shoot Obama to try to impress you or anything.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love how we all enjoy the gentle ramblings of a creepy serial killer. Thats how well written this webcomic is.

nmg
Jul 27, 2002

A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Don't be so hard on yourself. I would pretend that I am on hard times, and then using Onstad's sense of charity, I would "temporarily" move into his house slowly gaining his family's trust. Then I would get a hair cut to look exactly like him, and I would start wearing his clothes and slowly get his family to love me more than him. Eventually I assume he would move out and I could continue Achewood by myself. The strip would suffer because I have no talent, and I would eventually fall into a shame spiral studded with habitual drug use and alcoholism. This is all laid out in my diary which I will post later.

Then we are of the same mind, but I hope you realize that we need to literally wear his skin in order to truly become meshed with that reality. Let's do this. This is a Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

nmg posted:

I hope you realize that we need to literally wear his skin in order to truly become meshed with that reality.

I call the top half.