Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
MN only wishes its system sucked as much as it did in CA (or WI, WI SOC is hilarious)

So I have another 148 (resisting arrest/order of police officer)

Guy didn't step out of his vehicle when ordered. He was then dragged out of the vehicle and tazed.
I wasn't sure how legit this was until they rolled my client out into the court room.
Yeah, he's missing a leg.

Oh this trial will be fun.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

BigHead posted:

UMN Chat: Out newly super conservative Governor Pawlenty (who used to be intelligent until he wanted to be President) convinced his good friend Mr. Chief Justice of the MN Supreme Court to step down, at which point Pawlenty appointed his Whore of the Supreme Court to Chief Justice (she's a Whore because it has taker her literally less than a year to go from Assistant County Prosecutor --> County Attorney --> District Judge --> SCOMN --> CJ of SCOMN). As soon as she was appointed, Pawlenty somehow managed to nominate the loving UMN Professor Stras, who is about as dumb as a loving doornail and proudly clerked for loving Thomas to SCOMN.

Also, the reason Mr. Chief Just stepped down is because Pawlenty took less than a year at the beginning of his term to nominate his good friend to CJ as well.

God what a shitbag. If any of you vote for Pawlenty / Palin in 2012 I'm murdering your entire family.

otoh they just ruled Pawlenty's unallotments to last year's budget illegal, and now federally funded services state-wide have carte blanche to sue for lost funding, which adds up to I think $3 billion in cuts lol

I worked for the senate last year and we spent like 3 months fixing his godawful budget only to have him unilaterally gently caress it up at the 11th hour, so it was a nice ruling because I had been impotently fuming about it since last May and now... satisfaction

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

There was a serious conflict of interests the day the decision got handed down because on one hand, study for finals, on the other hand, go out and get lovely with my ex-coworkers... I studied :qq:

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Does anyone know the proper format for a prayer to Tzeentch/Nyalothotep for an A on a law exam?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

JudicialRestraints posted:

Does anyone know the proper format for a prayer to Tzeentch/Nyalothotep for an A on a law exam?

I believe that the preferred deity for these purposes is Shub-Niggurath. Try the following: "Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!"

Of course, if you happen to be studying admiralty, you can't go wrong with: "Iä-R'lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn! Iä! Iä!"

The Iäs are important, be sure to get those right.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 14, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Ersatz posted:

I believe that the preferred deity for these purposes is Shub-Niggurath. Try the following: "Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!"

Of course, if you happen to be studying admiralty, you can't go wrong with: "Iä-R'lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn! Iä! Iä!"

The Iäs are important, be sure to get those right.

Why the gently caress would I pray to a fertility deity for criminal procedure? I feel like Yog Sothoth is the goto for law exams, but Nyalothotep probably personally crafted my state's criminal code so I figure his aid would be the most useful.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Why the gently caress would I pray to a fertility deity for criminal procedure? I feel like Yog Sothoth is the goto for law exams, but Nyalothotep probably personally crafted my state's criminal code so I figure his aid would be the most useful.

Well, you're looking for an abundance of points on the exam. That's Shubby's territory.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
I graduate today. It's also expected to be rainy/stormy.

This is somehow fitting.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

thread posted:

quote questions.

Something fun you will run into if you are a transactional attorney is periods outside of quotation marks. This is done (whether right or wrong) because a term is defined at the end of a sentence. I think it's a dumb practice, but fat lot of good that's done me.

What usually happens:
This Lawyer and Law School Megathread # 12: Started Out Barrister, Ended Up Barista, dated as of the date hereof, among Linguica, as Original Poster (the "OP"), and the posters posting therein (as hereinafter defined), as amended, modified, supplemented and updated by post from time to time (the "Thread") shall do a bunch of great stuff.

What people do sometimes:
TheBestDeception, Ersatz, Judicial Restraints, The Arsteia and nm, the foregoing being herein referred to as the "Posters".

People do this because if you include the period you are including the period in the definition and you would have to type Posters. every time you wanted to use the defined term.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
We have a Swede reading the thread, he/she should be able to direct us in praying the dark and ancient gods forgotten by time. All the Scandinavians are blasphemous heathens.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ersatz posted:

I had the same feeling. Happiness will come (if at all) when your grades are released. In the meantime, try to chill out like a human being until your summer obligations kick in (assuming you aren't writing on right now, in which case I feel for you).

I was about to say that either happiness or extreme dismay will come once your 1L grades come out. It depends on your personality type.

When my first semester 1L grades came out, I kind of knew the dream was over. When I got the second semester grades, I knew it was done for sure.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
1L grades coming back should be a win/win. You either do well enough to stay in law school or poorly enough to drop out.

Secret Asian Man
Jun 17, 2006

does anyone ever actually drop out though

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Secret Asian Man posted:

I know a girl who dropped out to go to rehab, does that count?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Posting from my last exam.
gently caress this poo poo.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Secret Asian Man posted:

my 1L year I took my CivPro exam sitting next to a dude who reeked so bad of booze that I could barely concentrate. I never saw him again after that, hemust have either dropped out or transferred to Yale. (I got a B)

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
You guys must have some really nutso civpro exams. Ours was 50 multiple choice 10 true false and a 5 mark short answer. What's the American one like?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

soj89 posted:

You guys must have some really nutso civpro exams. Ours was 50 multiple choice 10 true false and a 5 mark short answer. What's the American one like?

What school are you at anyway?

Our civpro was something like 30 short answers. Point-form acceptable. A fuckin' +

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

soj89 posted:

50 multiple choice questions. Open book, open notes, anything you want to bring.

The year before us, a B+ was an 11/50.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Secret Asian Man posted:

I was feeling really low during my 1L summer and almost did it, but the Dean of Student Affairs at my law school refused to give me the form and eventually talked me out of it.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

TyChan posted:

I was feeling really low during my 1L summer and almost did it, but the Dean of Student Affairs at my law school refused to give me the form and eventually talked me out of it.

Now theres a school that really cares (about your money)

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

soj89 posted:

3 hour closed book essay question

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

soj89 posted:

Two semesters with 8 hour take homes, three questions each, 12 page limit. Each exam had a question, and I quote, "How do you feel about the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure? Be sure to cite specifics." The other two questions were lovely issue spotting. 92% of the class got Bs.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

BigHead posted:

Two semesters with 8 hour take homes, three questions each, 12 page limit. Each exam had a question, and I quote, "How do you feel about the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure? Be sure to cite specifics." The other two questions were lovely issue spotting. 92% of the class got Bs.

You gotta be loving kidding me? Two semesters? We barely learned anything in our civpro class. Basically reciting rules from the Ontario Civpro book. We weren't allowed notes into the exam though, just your book. It turned into a contest of who could flip to the right Rule the fastest.

(One semester, SECOND(!!!) year)

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Someone I hate is working as a summer clerk for Army JAG (1L)

Will this translate into a job for them?

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Think you should be more worried about the fact that they'll teach him to kill with his bare hands...

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Worked for a law school friend of mine. I mean, he's a JAG now. That's pretty much the only job it could turn out to be for them.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Looks like a new low for salaries for new lawyers. According to abovethelaw some firms may move to offers of salaries of negative $42,000 a year.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/smu-will-pay-you-to-hire-their-graduates/

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
OK, so NYU finally got back to me (the first letter got lost in the mail, apparently). I have been waitlisted!

I know typical waitlist whatever is LOCI and extra recommendations - my issue is, I have already sent a LOCI and an extra recommendation. Would it be bad form to find even more recs and write even more LOCIs? Is there anything else I can do to claw my way in?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Direwolf posted:

OK, so NYU finally got back to me (the first letter got lost in the mail, apparently). I have been waitlisted!

I know typical waitlist whatever is LOCI and extra recommendations - my issue is, I have already sent a LOCI and an extra recommendation. Would it be bad form to find even more recs and write even more LOCIs? Is there anything else I can do to claw my way in?

If you're waitlisted at this point you're probably not going

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Incredulous Red posted:

If you're waitlisted at this point you're probably not going

That's kind of a silly thing to say. Anybody who's waitlisted at any point is "probably not going," but schools still pull off the waitlist well into the summer and he should do his best to get in if he wants to go. We're only a couple weeks past the deposit deadlines of most schools.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Applebee123 posted:

Looks like a new low for salaries for new lawyers. According to abovethelaw some firms may move to offers of salaries of negative $42,000 a year.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/smu-will-pay-you-to-hire-their-graduates/

If I can get them to allow part time students to dip into the sweet sweet sauce, I'll get to practice law and not take a pay cut!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I believe Daoloth, the Render of the Veils is perhaps the Mythos deity of choice for the ambitious lawgoon.

omgwtfnoway
Aug 22, 2004

Uhhh.... little help here, please?
Our school released grades from our first exam right after we were done with our last exam (B :(). How cruel.

Any tips on writing a transfer personal statement? I'm looking to transfer from a current T2 to a T1 (not T14) mainly because of location purposes. My GPA is going to fall most likely somewhere in the top 20-25%.

Caligula Caesar
Feb 19, 2008

I wasn't a god after all...
Welp, after being held, re-reviewed, waitlisted, and reviewed again, I got into Harvard Law! Apparently it IS possible to get in as a boring white person with a <170 LSAT. Goons, take heart!

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Caligula Caesar posted:

Welp, after being held, re-reviewed, waitlisted, and reviewed again, I got into Harvard Law! Apparently it IS possible to get in as a boring white person with a <170 LSAT. Goons, take heart!

What was your GPA? Who did your mother used to blow?

Caligula Caesar
Feb 19, 2008

I wasn't a god after all...

Incredulous Red posted:

What was your GPA? Who did your mother used to blow?

4.0, and presumably no one ...

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Caligula Caesar posted:

Congrats!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Is there a motion I can file where I can get a judicial order proclaiming opposing counsel is a fuckface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

Is there a motion I can file where I can get a judicial order proclaiming opposing counsel is a fuckface?

*checks rules book* You know I bet you could squeeze that under Rule 11 as a very colorable accusation.