Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Boogle posted:

You need a rebreather to get to some of the flooded parts of the base.

I had one, and aqualung, and never found anything of interest outside (the large hatch with the red square light on it in a partially flooded room). There's stuff outside this hatch one can swim to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sten Freak posted:

I had one, and aqualung, and never found anything of interest outside (the large hatch with the red square light on it in a partially flooded room). There's stuff outside this hatch one can swim to?

It was supposed to link to a secret Atlantis area, but it was cut from the game.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
Man, it'd be so drat cool if the Mac Steam release prompted them to make a new Mac port, but that's probably about as likely as Deus Ex 3 living up to Deus Ex. :smith:

Puppy
Jan 29, 2009

I do not belong here.

DVD Drive posted:

I'm playing through the game for like the fourth time and this is my first play-through that I've used the GEP and the healing aug. It's insane how much easier those two things make the game.
I've played without Regeneration before, which just demanded that I put points in Medicine to stay afloat - that wasn't too bad. But I can't imagine playing without the GEP gun. Putting aside the ability to destroy mechs easily, a GEP gun full of rockets is the equivalent of like...40 extra lockpicks.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Puppy posted:

I've played without Regeneration before, which just demanded that I put points in Medicine to stay afloat - that wasn't too bad. But I can't imagine playing without the GEP gun. Putting aside the ability to destroy mechs easily, a GEP gun full of rockets is the equivalent of like...40 extra lockpicks.

It was a couple playthroughs in before I started getting either regeneration or medicine. It's not that I didn't need them, either I just didn't think it through very well or I thought being able to heal instantly was killing MY IMMERSION :colbert:

Xenophobia
Jul 2, 2007
No no no.

Fnoigy posted:

Man, it'd be so drat cool if the Mac Steam release prompted them to make a new Mac port, but that's probably about as likely as Deus Ex 3 living up to Deus Ex. :smith:

I was just thinking the same thing. I even bought IW when it was on sale just because it was so cheap despite not having a PC. Please Steam, let me find out how bad this game is!

Puppy
Jan 29, 2009

I do not belong here.
Actually, I realized there was one other part of this game I wasn't sure of.

So there's a point in the game (not described here for spoiler reasons) in which you lose all of your equipment and then get it back. I realized that I wasn't sure whether the weapons you get back retain all the mods you loaded into them before you lost them. In my last playthrough, the Stealth pistol I got back seemed to have lost its scope, but retained some of its other mods. In fact, I'm not sure whether it actually gives you back everything you owned - would I find a candy bar on the shelf there if it was in my inventory when I lost it? Or - much more importantly - a weapon mod?

Since money in the game is finite, this has huge bearings on whether it's optimal to spend money on weapon mods before you lose your equipment. There's no point in forking over cash to Smuggler for a weapon upgrade if you're just going to lose it before you leave New York. Anyone know how this part of the game works? It did remember the exact number of multitools and lockpicks I had. But I don't know if it keeps track of either a) weapon mods already in your gun (I suspect that it doesn't?) and b) weapon mod cartridges sitting in your inventory.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you've already picked up a gun, then you keep that one. If you pick up one of your old guns, you get it with mods intact. So drop everything before you grab your old equipment, then pick up the new stuff to get the ammo.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sten Freak posted:

There's another spot further past there where you can go in a crack. The spots of interest are basically either side of the minisub bay.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I like that room. Whenever I play DX I invariably use the inventory glitch that allows you to stack items on top of other items. I mean, poo poo, how else am I going to hold all the weapon mods, scramble grenades, and ballistic armors I can never bring myself to use? That room is designed so that even if you take advantage of the glitch, there is enough shelf space to accommodate just about all the illegally carried items you had on you when you got captured. S'cool.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I like that room. Whenever I play DX I invariably use the inventory glitch that allows you to stack items on top of other items. I mean, poo poo, how else am I going to hold all the weapon mods, scramble grenades, and ballistic armors I can never bring myself to use? That room is designed so that even if you take advantage of the glitch, there is enough shelf space to accommodate just about all the illegally carried items you had on you when you got captured. S'cool.
And use the quickly-go-to-your-inventory-before-the-game-empties-it-and-throw-everything-away-then-pick-it-up-avoiding-the-disarming-trigger glitch to make it act as a giant ammo pile!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Is money ever even an issue for anyone? I usually end the game with like 8 grand left over. My last playthrough, I had 11. I've never not been able to afford a weapon mod I wanted. Hell, if you're the exploring type, you can buy the scope from Kaplan in the first level before you even enter UNATCO.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

While we're at it, does anyone think that the skill progress is seriously messed up? You get smaller returns for larger investments as you go Trained-Advanced-Master.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Puppy posted:

So there's a point in the game (not described here for spoiler reasons) in which you lose all of your equipment and then get it back. I realized that I wasn't sure whether the weapons you get back retain all the mods you loaded into them before you lost them. In my last playthrough, the Stealth pistol I got back seemed to have lost its scope, but retained some of its other mods. In fact, I'm not sure whether it actually gives you back everything you owned - would I find a candy bar on the shelf there if it was in my inventory when I lost it? Or - much more importantly - a weapon mod?

It gives you all your stuff back and it should be in the same order as it was before. It was for me anyway.

I even made sure I was carrying several 40s in the metro station before I got picked up. There they were sitting on the shelf, waiting for me to come drink them. :c00l:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Xander77 posted:

While we're at it, does anyone think that the skill progress is seriously messed up? You get smaller returns for larger investments as you go Trained-Advanced-Master.

Actually, you get larger returns for weapon skills. Going from Advanced to Master gives the same increases as going from Untrained to Advanced.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Sounds kinda like training skills in real life? You get diminishing marginal utility on every investment.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Sounds kinda like training skills in real life? You get diminishing marginal utility on every investment.
Pretty much. The initial jump from "can't do it at all" to "can do it poorly" (Untrained to Trained) is a pretty huge jump, but what other first step could you take? "Still can't do it at all, but trying really hard?"

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Xenophobia posted:

I was just thinking the same thing. I even bought IW when it was on sale just because it was so cheap despite not having a PC. Please Steam, let me find out how bad this game is!

It's not worth playing. Seriously, playing IW after finishing up a Deus Ex run is like chasing Dom Perignon with Andre.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Pretty much. The initial jump from "can't do it at all" to "can do it poorly" (Untrained to Trained) is a pretty huge jump, but what other first step could you take? "Still can't do it at all, but trying really hard?"

I THINK I'm augmented... I THINK I'm augmented... I THINK I'm augmented... I THINK I'm augmented...
It is a train analogy

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

modestduty posted:

It's not worth playing. Seriously, playing IW after finishing up a Deus Ex run is like chasing Dom Perignon with Andre.

I actually kinda liked IW. Of course, I had two factors in my favor:

I had never played Deus Ex, so I had nothing to compare it to.

I played it on the xbox, dodging the technical issues and making the consolitis much harder to notice.

Now that I've played Deus Ex, I realize just how much it falls short. Going back to the pc version of IW makes me realize exactly why everyone seems to hate it.

Although tossing an unconscious cultist into the basketball hoop in the first level is still the funniest use of rag doll physics I've ever seem.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Puppy posted:

I normally end the game with close to full stacks of lockpicks and techtools. That GEP gun could be an autoshottie and sniper rifle...

Puppy posted:

I hadn't noticed any loss of mods, but I think any grenade stacks are lost after the first grenade. Maybe I only had one grenade in those stacks, though; I didn't check too closely.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Enjoy posted:

I hadn't noticed any loss of mods, but I think any grenade stacks are lost after the first grenade. Maybe I only had one grenade in those stacks, though; I didn't check too closely.

No, you get all your grenades back, but they're combined into one pickup. One grenade of each type is lying on the table, but when you pick it up you get ten in your inventory.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Hell Patrol posted:

Will wav files work? I just exported the whole UserInterface sound section from UnrealEd. Download link to rar

Also here's a very flattering picture of Jaime Reyes, with special guests Walton Slimmons and Lucius DeBlobs.

Thanks for that. it worked just fine on my droid.

That picture is hilarious after you read what Simons is saying. Its like Denton was just poking him with a stick for a while asking him about his head.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hell Patrol posted:

Will wav files work? I just exported the whole UserInterface sound section from UnrealEd. Download link to rar

Also here's a very flattering picture of Jaime Reyes, with special guests Walton Slimmons and Lucius DeBlobs.

That made me ache for a Deus Ex theme for my HTC Legend. But now I know what's my next ringtone!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Puppy posted:

Since money in the game is finite, this has huge bearings on whether it's optimal to spend money on weapon mods before you lose your equipment. There's no point in forking over cash to Smuggler for a weapon upgrade if you're just going to lose it before you leave New York. Anyone know how this part of the game works? It did remember the exact number of multitools and lockpicks I had. But I don't know if it keeps track of either a) weapon mods already in your gun (I suspect that it doesn't?) and b) weapon mod cartridges sitting in your inventory.

There are multiple copies of each weapons in that room. To get back your own, personal modded weapons that were taken away from you, pick up YOUR WEAPONS off the shelves on the lower level which are besides the computer terminal.

Once you have ensured you have picked up all of your own weapons that you modded, proceed to pick the up extras lying around the room, on racks, on the upstairs tables.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

modestduty posted:

Said drink causes you to vomit and then somehow for some insane reason you drink it up again willing to just finish it off or at least see some of the cooler members from the first game in slightly less dated graphics.

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
Does anybody know if there's a code to give yourself the Boomstick?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

WP rounds are the greatest thing.

One shot, eight men down with three on fire. :smug:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The 'ton is the perfect place for pulling out a WPed GEP; tons of wussy MJ12s who can and will headshot you unless put down quick and hard.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Spatial posted:

WP rounds are the greatest thing.

One shot, eight men down with three on fire. :smug:

Someone should make an Israeli Defense Forces mod for Deus Ex.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

Someone should make an Israeli Defense Forces mod for Deus Ex.

No, we don't need another Anna Navarre shooting spree.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Grand Fromage posted:

What a shame.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

PUSSY BARON posted:

Does anybody know if there's a code to give yourself the Boomstick?
summon weaponboomstick

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
When do things start affecting the ending? I know it doesn't matter until really late in the game, but is it only after you get to the final area?

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

When do things start affecting the ending? I know it doesn't matter until really late in the game, but is it only after you get to the final area?

Yeah. You'll know when it's decision time. The game pretty much lays out all the options for you.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Captain Novolin posted:

There's pretty much a button that gives you the first ending, a button that gives you the second ending, and a button that gives you the third ending. Don't worry too much about making a choice you may regret later.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sten Freak posted:

I once brought a few Rebreathers, Aqualung, an upgraded Swimming skill, and Regeneration and tried to swim to the surface. Turns out you can't, but JC can hold his breath for a really long time!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Never noticed this before. When you meet the Luminous Path guy on Tonochi Road he says that the they're watching over you. He wasn't kidding! The roof above:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Jesus Christ, Denton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Spatial posted:

Never noticed this before. When you meet the Luminous Path guy on Tonochi Road he says that the they're watching over you. He wasn't kidding! The roof above:

That's actually right by Jock's apartment. Presumably Paul was originally going to have Jock take out Maggie Chow.