Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakiraKurosawa
Mar 17, 2010
Is there some kind of larger resonant melodic bell- or preferably bells- I could attach to a drumkit. I'm looking for something that would have a pretty long sustain after I hit it (not like a cowbell) and would come in basic chromatic keys. Something akin to the sound of a handbell. It seems like such a thing should exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm returning to my beloved bass playing after around a four year hiatus. All in all, I've probably played for roughly over a year actively over a three year period. I'm currently 23 years old and trying to tackle playing and music theory for real now.

Anyways, I'm urging to buy a cheap 4-string bass to accompany my current Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 5-stringer (it sounds great but it feels really hard to slap with it)and wondering what would be the best bang for my buck. My price range is around 250 - 350 $/€ and I'm mostly playing along the lines of rock, jazz and funk. I've been thinking of getting either an Epiphone Thunderbird IV or some Fender Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass IV 3SB. Any other suggestions?

Ibanez Roadstar II basses can be had for between $250 and $350 US. Typical layout is P/J but you can find some J/J ones as well. Nut is narrow like a Jazz bass, stock pickups were made by Dimarzio. Bridge spacing is standard Fender I think- I don't slap but I imagine it should be easy enough. Roadstars and Blazers (the earlier precursor) routinely come up on ebay and craigslist, but putting out a want ad on craigslist is the most reliable way to find one. Every once in a while you'll find a Tokai or Greco bass for $400 US, but shipping is always like $150 on those. Still, they're brilliant instruments and the basses are always really cheap for some reason.

If you're not into old Japanese stuff then a MIM Fender of Squier VM or CV series are both fine options. If you can find a Godin where you are they're also well worth checking out- pretty cheap basses and they get all the little things right.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Ibanez Roadstar II basses can be had for between $250 and $350 US. Typical layout is P/J but you can find some J/J ones as well. Nut is narrow like a Jazz bass, stock pickups were made by Dimarzio. Bridge spacing is standard Fender I think- I don't slap but I imagine it should be easy enough. Roadstars and Blazers (the earlier precursor) routinely come up on ebay and craigslist, but putting out a want ad on craigslist is the most reliable way to find one. Every once in a while you'll find a Tokai or Greco bass for $400 US, but shipping is always like $150 on those. Still, they're brilliant instruments and the basses are always really cheap for some reason.

If you're not into old Japanese stuff then a MIM Fender of Squier VM or CV series are both fine options. If you can find a Godin where you are they're also well worth checking out- pretty cheap basses and they get all the little things right.

Thanks a lot for all this! I actually won one t-shirt design competition and will receive probably around 200 - 350 $ gift card to Amazon.com so I'll probably have to limit my options a bit. Excuse me while I google up all those beautiful basses. :allears:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Does anybody have any thoughts on the Alesis DM5 Pro Electronic Drumkit? I'm looking to buy it for simple recording purposes because not only can I not have an acoustic drumset where I live, but I really don't want to worry about micing up an acoustic drumset either. So my grossly oversimplified plan is to buy this drumset and use it as a MIDI controller for Superior Drummer. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to improve upon this plan (I know that V-drums are the poo poo, but the price on them is not) or is this plan incredibly uninformed, and if so, how?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Regular superglue is the industry standard.
But just using elmers or cheap wood glue is what anyone who actually works on guitars would use.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

codyclarke posted:

Is there any real use for C flat major other than writing for harps? It seems like something I'd never use, other than to challenge myself while sight-reading.
If you're not using equal temperament, there are many things to do with it. You'd probably know if you weren't using equal temperament, though

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Alesis DM5 Pro Electronic Drumkit? I'm looking to buy it for simple recording purposes because not only can I not have an acoustic drumset where I live, but I really don't want to worry about micing up an acoustic drumset either. So my grossly oversimplified plan is to buy this drumset and use it as a MIDI controller for Superior Drummer. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to improve upon this plan (I know that V-drums are the poo poo, but the price on them is not) or is this plan incredibly uninformed, and if so, how?

I'm not sure if it was this exact Alesis kit but I read in a review that they had a limited amount of simultaneous voices so a long cymbal ring could be cut short if you did a snare roll or something after it. I know it applied to the cheaper kits, but I don't think it would carry over if you were only using midi.

You might be able to afford a TD-4K for a little more than the price of the DM5, because as you mentioned, V-Drums are indeed the poo poo.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Not sure if anyone's asked this question yet as it's a big thread and a quick search didn't find anything, but I'm getting a pair of studio monitors in the next few weeks for my birthday (these if you're wondering: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-2-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Each?sku=482825) and I'm worried about bass frequencies. The current speakers I use to mix are the Bose companion 3 system, and that comes with a subwoofer. These monitors have no subwoofer. Should I be worried about not getting an accurate bass response with these? I've never used studio monitors before, and I'm wondering if lack of bass around the 30hz region is going to be an issue.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

dookie posted:

I have a Mac. I want to run windows VSTs in Ableton Live 8. Is there a way to use parallels or VMWare to run the VST, and then be able to still use Live 8 in OSX to use it?

What plugins are you looking to use?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I'm looking at replacing the pickups in my Ibanez AM-73 (semi-hollowbody). How much of a necessity is it to replace the electronics apart from the pickups? I understand that pickup replacement is a pain in the rear end, and if I wouldn't see much benefit from replacing the pots, I'd prefer to tear things up as little as possible.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Leck posted:

I'm looking at replacing the pickups in my Ibanez AM-73 (semi-hollowbody). How much of a necessity is it to replace the electronics apart from the pickups? I understand that pickup replacement is a pain in the rear end, and if I wouldn't see much benefit from replacing the pots, I'd prefer to tear things up as little as possible.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The only reason you might consider it is if you are switching from say humbuckers to single coils.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Got a Logic 9 question for y'all:

I'm trying to figure out how to get a good wobble bass for dubstep on Logic Pro 9. Right now I've got a good instrument picked out using the ES2 sampler. I have it wobbling (not sure how I got to that point), but can't figure out how to assign the filter cutoff to control the rate and get different rhythms. Any suggestions?

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

Anyone know anything about amps on the fritz? I bought a used Eden Time Traveler bass amp about a month ago. Until now it has worked and sounded great. The other day I went to play and I wasn't getting any sound out of the speaker. I plugged in headphones and no sound there either. I know the amp is getting a signal because the compressor light turns on when I play my bass. Today I decided to turn it on one more time to see if I could get anything going and, voila, it worked like normal. However, a few minutes later it went back to the same problem. Just wondering if anyone might have an idea what the issue might be. I live over 2 hours from anywhere that could fix it, so just thought I'd ask before I send it away.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Does anyone know of any free or cheap music software that will allow someone to:

1) Scan sheet music (or, allow manually typing notes into virtual sheet music)
2) Play back the virtual sheet music through midi sounds
3) Output the midi to an mp3?

This is for someone who has no keyboard but wants to edit and sing along to midi notes on a walkman.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FateFree posted:

Does anyone know of any free or cheap music software that will allow someone to:

This is for someone who has no keyboard but wants to edit and sing along to midi notes on a walkman.

I have no idea how well these work but try https://audiveris.dev.java.net/ or http://sourceforge.net/projects/openomr/ (links taken from this wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_OCR ). You may need to use Audacity or Reaper to output the files into MP3 format.

Jerky Beef Kong
Jul 1, 2007
Any good methods for removing laptop "noise" from my setup? I have USB soundcard plugged into laptop, and when the power cable is plugged in I get dirty clicking and popping through speakers. It seems to just be in the speakers, haven't really noticed it in recordings, just hear it while making them.

Edit: Cutting the ground pin from laptop power cable will fix it, but I'd rather not do this. And don't have a hacksaw

Jerky Beef Kong fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 14, 2010

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Jerky Beef Kong posted:

Edit: Cutting the ground pin from laptop power cable will fix it, but I'd rather not do this. And don't have a hacksaw

If you want to get rid of the ground without damaging anything, you could get one of those 4-way plug adapters, open it up with a screwdriver and disconnect the ground wire. It'd be totally reversible too. Then you could just plug the laptop in through that.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

FateFree posted:

It sounds like Photoscore is what you're looking for. A lite version of it comes with Sibelius, not sure what MIDI capabilities there are with just the photoscore standalone application, but I'm sure there's something.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
How do I add effects (and mess with EQ and stuff) to multiple tracks in Cubase? I know there's a way to do it... adding folders or something?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Popcorn posted:

How do I add effects (and mess with EQ and stuff) to multiple tracks in Cubase? I know there's a way to do it... adding folders or something?

Not used Cubase in a while, but I think you need to create a new track (stereo if you want stereo effects) and put your effects on there as inserts, or you could do separate tracks for each insert if you want more control. Then you click your Sends button on each source track and route it to the effects track(s)

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Jerky Beef Kong posted:

The noise you're describing isn't a grounding problem, ground buzzes sound like what's coming out of the amp at about 2 minutes into this video. Pops and clicks in digital audio usually means something is out of sync, like you're recording at 48Khz but your output is trying to sync itself to 44.1, or one of the internal clocks just doesn't get along with the other and the samples aren't lining up.

Do you happen to have your speakers plugged into your onboard soundcard while your inputs are plugged into your USB interface? What kind of interface and drivers are you using? This kind of thing is one of the reasons interfaces with real ASIO drivers are necessary, especially with Windows. Windows is horrendous for causing things like this if you're using WDM drivers.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

baka kaba posted:

Not used Cubase in a while, but I think you need to create a new track (stereo if you want stereo effects) and put your effects on there as inserts, or you could do separate tracks for each insert if you want more control. Then you click your Sends button on each source track and route it to the effects track(s)

You could set it up as inserts/sends, which lets you dial in how much of each track to send to the effect -- there is still a "dry" version of the track, this works well if you want to add a little reverb/delay to several tracks.

You can also set up a buss (submix) to route the tracks through and put the effects on that. This works better for things like EQ or compression, where you probably don't want any of the dry signal mixed in.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
So I'm in the market for an acoustic electric guitar.

I was looking at the Fender CD220 CEF Dreadnought, and it looks like it will be what I am looking for.. anyone have any experience with it, or any suggestions for a different one? $500 is my budget.. at the absolute highest!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-CD220-CEF-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-103574042-i1166296.gc

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

wixard posted:

This kind of thing is one of the reasons interfaces with real ASIO drivers are necessary, especially with Windows. Windows is horrendous for causing things like this if you're using WDM drivers.
Only with Windows. ASIO is a Windows driver protocol, other operating systems cannot use ASIO drivers. Roughly speaking, in Mac OSX (which is really the only other OS people are using for music production) there would be no reason to implement ASIO because Mac OSX never had the problem that ASIO was designed to solve in Windows.

I imagine you likely know this but not everybody does so I just thought I'd clarify.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Do I need the Line 6 brand power supply to run a Line 6 FM4 Filter modeler? I'd like it if I could just plug it in my OneSpot. And is that pedal going to sound good live?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

CalvinDooglas posted:

Do I need the Line 6 brand power supply to run a Line 6 FM4 Filter modeler? I'd like it if I could just plug it in my OneSpot. And is that pedal going to sound good live?

The Line6 stompbox modelers need 9V AC, but according to the Line6 website, they can also run on 12V DC. AFAIK, the OneSpot can only output 9V DC, so it will probably not work anyway. You don't need a Line6 power supply, though, just get a cheap one with the right specs from radio shack or whatever.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
What happened to the ukulele thread from a while back?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Pleasure to chill posted:

The Line6 stompbox modelers need 9V AC, but according to the Line6 website, they can also run on 12V DC. AFAIK, the OneSpot can only output 9V DC, so it will probably not work anyway. You don't need a Line6 power supply, though, just get a cheap one with the right specs from radio shack or whatever.

hopefully the guy I'm getting it from has the power supply and pedal, it's just part of a sale/trade so I can pay some bills. I'm not even sure it's a pedal I want in my rig, but I'll give it a shot. I can probably sell it for more than it's costing right now.

has anyone used the FM4, is it any good? I just can't see using more than one or two of those effects.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

CalvinDooglas posted:

hopefully the guy I'm getting it from has the power supply and pedal, it's just part of a sale/trade so I can pay some bills. I'm not even sure it's a pedal I want in my rig, but I'll give it a shot. I can probably sell it for more than it's costing right now.

has anyone used the FM4, is it any good? I just can't see using more than one or two of those effects.

Yeah, that's the fun part with buying/trading used pedals, you're not really risking anything, because you can almost always resell them with little to no loss. I've only played the FM4 briefly in a shop, but I really liked it (then again, I'm a big fan of filter effects). Definitely fun to play around with, but whether or not I'd be able to use most of the effects in a musical context is a different question...

legsarerequired posted:

What happened to the ukulele thread from a while back?
I've noticed there's a ukulele thread in Ask/Tell, maybe that's the one you're thinking about?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

You can use the OneSpot if you get an adapter like this - http://accessories.musiciansfriend....WELAID=26018582

The stock plug won't physically fit in the socket.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

DrChu posted:

You can use the OneSpot if you get an adapter like this - http://accessories.musiciansfriend....WELAID=26018582

The stock plug won't physically fit in the socket.

and that takes care of the phase issue?

Why do Line 6 pedals use AC power? I bet if I opened one up there'd a big old transformer right there, they just put it inside so you'd have to feed it AC. Especially considering you can run it with a bunch of 6 volt batteries.... I know they're not blasting AC current through a circuitboard.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

CalvinDooglas posted:

and that takes care of the phase issue?

Why do Line 6 pedals use AC power? I bet if I opened one up there'd a big old transformer right there, they just put it inside so you'd have to feed it AC. Especially considering you can run it with a bunch of 6 volt batteries.... I know they're not blasting AC current through a circuitboard.

likely so that all of their products can use similar power adapters.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I hope the thing is worth it. if it's good I'll use it a bunch, if it sucks I'll just use it until that MGMT song runs its course in our repertoire.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Pleasure to chill posted:

I've noticed there's a ukulele thread in Ask/Tell, maybe that's the one you're thinking about?

I looked through all 16 pages of that forum and I can't find it. :( I know it's not in this forum, but I was hoping someone might have the link since it was music-related.

My Precious Violin Case
Aug 1, 2004

Is it gay that I want to see it?

legsarerequired posted:

I looked through all 16 pages of that forum and I can't find it. :( I know it's not in this forum, but I was hoping someone might have the link since it was music-related.

Here you go. Google works surprisingly well for threads if you can remember something about the thread title; just type "site:somethingawful.com" before your query.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
I found a abused and beaten First Act ME537 at goodwill today. For $35 it was just too nice to pass up. Only things that need attention is replacing a missing tuning peg if not replacing them all out right. Secondly while the pickup and the volume and tone pots are in excellent condition some mouth breather stripped/ripped out the input jack.

My question is are input jacks fairly universal? Also I have barely any sodering experience to speak of. Would attempting something like this be a bad idea or is it easier than I'm leading myself to believe?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
You're probably going to have to replace all the tuners, and you might not find any that fit exactly. Input jacks are universal its just the housing is different. Head down to guitar center and pick up the cheapest things you can, it's a $35 dollar guitar. Soldering is easy, watch some videos on Youtube and also pick up the cheapest soldering kit you can buy at radio shack. Its a cheap guitar so learn all your mistakes on it, you gotta start somewhere.

Svrdfsk
Mar 1, 2010
What sound card should i get to support both my guitar playing and my lust for divulging into electronic music?
And also, what do these pads do? (Like Korg Nano-Pad)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Any recommended media for learning the chromonica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Svrdfsk posted:

What sound card should i get to support both my guitar playing and my lust for divulging into electronic music?
And also, what do these pads do? (Like Korg Nano-Pad)

You could get a guitar specific package like a Rig Kontrol or Stealth Pedal, which are bundled with Guitar Rig (Rig Kontrol) and Amplitube (Stealth Pedal) amp simulation software, and also work as a decent general-purpose audio interface. The main drawback to these pedals is the limited number of inputs/outputs (like if you want to plug in microphones or multiple instruments).

Also have a look at this thread on audio interfaces for a bunch of other suggestions.

The Nanopad is a USB control surface, it can be programmed to do pretty much anything within your audio software -- you can use the pads as drum pads or to trigger samples, to change the sound of a synthesizer, etc.