Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tetrix posted:

*checks rules book* You know I bet you could squeeze that under Rule 11 as a very colorable accusation.

No one goes to federal court, silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

CaptainScraps posted:

Is there a motion I can file where I can get a judicial order proclaiming opposing counsel is a fuckface?

There's the tried and true: "Motion to Kiss My rear end” in which you move “all Americans at large and one corrupt Judge Smith [to] kiss my got [sic] drat rear end sorry mother fucker you."

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Caligula Caesar posted:

4.0, and presumably no one ...

That's awesome about Harvard man congrats.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

Is there a motion I can file where I can get a judicial order proclaiming opposing counsel is a fuckface?
Civil or criminal?

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.
Where is all the June '10 LSAT chat?

Is the OP actually starting to get to people?

Caligula Caesar
Feb 19, 2008

I wasn't a god after all...

sigmachiev posted:

That's awesome about Harvard man congrats.

I'm a chick, but thanks.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

Trash Can Man posted:

Where is all the June '10 LSAT chat?

Is the OP actually starting to get to people?

times and threads change, like how suitchat evolved into tacochat

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

Civil or criminal?

Civil. Opposing counsel filed a brief to exclude our expert testimony, examining the cited cases on wholly fraudulent grounds- as in outright lying as to what's in them and hoping the judge won't actually read the cases.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

CaptainScraps posted:

Civil. Opposing counsel filed a brief to exclude our expert testimony, examining the cited cases on wholly fraudulent grounds- as in outright lying as to what's in them and hoping the judge won't actually read the cases.

Just make sure your reply brief contains several cites to this book.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

CaptainScraps posted:

Motion for sanctions for a groundless motion (CPRC chapter 9) and ask for attorney fees.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Any thoughts on a Property book? I got Sprankling's "Understanding..." for reference. Condolences and thanks and such and did you hear about that broad from Harvard wit da email...hell yeah...and such and such.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Best website I have ever seen posted:

[Cormack]
The name above appears on the pass list for the February 2010 California Bar Examination.

Holy poo poo I don't have to study for the bar exam again.
yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cormack posted:

Hahaha who wants to work in a state that's going to devolve into anarchic city-states within the decade?

Just kidding, congrats man! That's a hard loving bar!

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

JudicialRestraints posted:

Does anyone know the proper format for a prayer to Tzeentch/Nyalothotep for an A on a law exam?

Hello, I'm from New Orleans, and I'd like to inform you that the voodoo spirit of Baron Samedi presides over both matters of death and law. It's an interesting pairing, I know. You can purchase a voodoo poppet in the Baron's image at any New Orleans voodoo shop or online from any reputable source. Make sure you poppet is ceremonially cursed by at least a High Priestess with an incantation of two weeks or more. This cursed poppet has many uses; for example, I built it an altar of spiced rum and Hershey's kisses last year in the hopes of success in law school, but now I use it to pray for merciful death!

I hope this information has helped you decide which spirits/deities would best suit you through law school!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

atlas of bugs posted:

Hello, I'm from New Orleans, and I'd like to inform you that the voodoo spirit of Baron Samedi presides over both matters of death and law. It's an interesting pairing, I know. You can purchase a voodoo poppet in the Baron's image at any New Orleans voodoo shop or online from any reputable source. Make sure you poppet is ceremonially cursed by at least a High Priestess with an incantation of two weeks or more. This cursed poppet has many uses; for example, I built it an altar of spiced rum and Hershey's kisses last year in the hopes of success in law school, but now I use it to pray for merciful death!

I hope this information has helped you decide which spirits/deities would best suit you through law school!

Hershey is ten minutes away from where I live, so if those need to be fresh I can hook a brother up in exchange for mandrake and nightshade.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyTreachery posted:

times and threads change, like how suitchat evolved into tacochat
Is it because of the economy or because Mookie took that NYC job?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

atlas of bugs posted:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Abugadu posted:

There's the tried and true: "Motion to Kiss My rear end” in which you move “all Americans at large and one corrupt Judge Smith [to] kiss my got [sic] drat rear end sorry mother fucker you."

Here I was thinking I was gonna be all clever or whatever and you gotta up and preempt me you got drat rear end sorry mother fucker you

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Cormack posted:

Congrats. My husband didn't pass. Currently half deep into a fifth of gin right now.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Save me jeebus posted:

Congrats. My husband didn't pass. Currently half deep into a fifth of gin right now.

No amount of alcohol can erase the pain of having a law degree, I'm afraid.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Torpor posted:

No amount of alcohol can erase the pain of having a law degree, I'm afraid.

I've found over the past few months that no amount of alcohol will erase the pain of one semester of 1L. I have been living with my BFF and I still yell at Judge Judy about implied warranty of habitability. This is after many nights alone with a lot of gin (I have a growler from a local beer place filled with martinis and I expect I've been through it about a dozen times in the last few weeks. FML.)

I can't imagine what this must be like for the Dude, who did an evening program, got hosed by the Calbar last summer and didn't sit the exam, took it this Feb, and still must take it again in July. I am ready to go all Virginia Woolf in this bitch.

On the plus side I got promoted by the Census and I'll be in grad school in fall of 2011 if I don't commit harikiri by then. :unsmith:

Secret Asian Man
Jun 17, 2006

its somebodys special day...

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Secret Asian Man posted:

It's my birthday tomorrow. You guys can just send cash.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Secret Asian Man posted:

:3:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm advertising for a legal assistant to highlight stuff for me today on facebook. Paid internship. But you gotta be top 20% or on law review.

With this kind of market I can get that.

Yojimbo Sancho
Feb 1, 2007
I have no idea either...
Finished first year of law school. 1st semester I was at median, its likely I will be at the same, though hopefully I can crack top 40/33%. This is at T1 Wisconsin. I really didn't try this year and wanted to "enjoy my life" instead of sitting in the library all day. Still no regrets.

Started drinking after last final at noon yesterday, didn't stop until 3am. I believe I ate 5000 calories worth of burgers, fries, brats, burritos, and gyros, not to mention the alcohol.

No regrets.

Yojimbo Sancho fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 15, 2010

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Incredulous Red posted:

If you're waitlisted at this point you're probably not going

Don't listen to this. I got accepted off the waitlist 10 days before classes started.

Oh wait, he said probably. I don't know many people who got off waitlists that late...

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

qwertyman posted:

Don't listen to this. I got accepted off the waitlist 10 days before classes started.

Oh wait, he said probably. I don't know many people who got off waitlists that late...

Everybody has at least heard of some person who got off the waitlist that late, but it's pretty rare. You have to start making arrangements to live in a given city, etc., and eventually, even if you do get in, you have to break a lease or find a sublettor, move (again?) - the whole process just sucks.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Incredulous Red posted:

Everybody has at least heard of some person who got off the waitlist that late, but it's pretty rare. You have to start making arrangements to live in a given city, etc., and eventually, even if you do get in, you have to break a lease or find a sublettor, move (again?) - the whole process just sucks.

It does, but NYU is my dream school and is close to home so changing the real life aspects, even last minute, wouldn't be that hard. It's rare and hard and considering the economic climate I figure not many people will be dropping out and opening up spots but I am willing to hope:gbsmith:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So I'm thinking of working on a new, but much shorter article (or note) about Facebook.

The general idea would be whether or not we should think of Facebook as a monopoly, or more specifically as possessing the anticompetitive characteristics that make monopolies dangerous (see this for a rundown of the argument). I discussed this briefly in my old paper, but was thinking about actually doing an article, probably working with my thesis advisor, both a) to make it more likely to get published and b) have his guidance in working with more formal stuff.

The question I have for people here is: what is your recommended reading for monopoly / antitrust law? By which I mean not only cases and statutes, but also histories of how it came to be, the forces the drove its creation, the underlying principles animating its application, that sort of thing.

From my basic understanding of law on the books, I don't think Facebook would be considered monopolistic. The argument I'm interested in exploring is whether or not social network sites, which (like early telephone systems) rely on network effects to maintain marketshare more than the technology per se, should be monitored as such.

Seems to me that since network effects aren't subject to competition, at least in the same way other goods and services are, there could be an interesting argument made that the bar for regulating them should be lower.

But again, I haven't explored this at all, so anyone who has any books / articles / materials generally that might be helpful in my research, please send them along!

edit

Perhaps more specifically, I'm interested in legal arguments about vendor lock-in and natural monopoly regulation.

Petey fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 16, 2010

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

So I have another 148 (resisting arrest/order of police officer)

I had one with a guy who is physically disabled. When talking to cops, he was not aggressive, but sounding a bit crazy. Cops decide to 5150 and ask him to get on his knees so they can cuff him. As he's explaining that he is physically unable to lower himself onto his knees they shoot him with a Taser.

Two Sheriff's deputies, no allegations of threatening or aggressive movements or speech, and the first physical contact is a Taser shot to the chest.

Conferencing the case with a judge, I started with "If anybody acted criminally here, it was the cops." That conversation didn't last too long. Keep in mind that the above description isn't how my client explained what happened to me. No, it's precisely how the police report reads.

PC 148 is the most bullshit charge I have to deal with.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Petey posted:

So I'm thinking of working on a new, but much shorter article (or note) about Facebook.

The general idea would be whether or not we should think of Facebook as a monopoly, or more specifically as possessing the anticompetitive characteristics that make monopolies dangerous (see this for a rundown of the argument). I discussed this briefly in my old paper, but was thinking about actually doing an article, probably working with my thesis advisor, both a) to make it more likely to get published and b) have his guidance in working with more formal stuff.

The question I have for people here is: what is your recommended reading for monopoly / antitrust law? By which I mean not only cases and statutes, but also histories of how it came to be, the forces the drove its creation, the underlying principles animating its application, that sort of thing.

From my basic understanding of law on the books, I don't think Facebook would be considered monopolistic. The argument I'm interested in exploring is whether or not social network sites, which (like early telephone systems) rely on network effects to maintain marketshare more than the technology per se, should be monitored as such.

Seems to me that since network effects aren't subject to competition, at least in the same way other goods and services are, there could be an interesting argument made that the bar for regulating them should be lower.

But again, I haven't explored this at all, so anyone who has any books / articles / materials generally that might be helpful in my research, please send them along!

I completed a note this semester defending mandated network neutrality against potential First Amendment claims (counterintuitively, ISPs can be expected, once their administrative law arguments run out, to claim that the FCC's rules interfere with constitutionally protected editorial control). The note hinges on convincing the reader that the concentration of broadband market power is such that intervention is necessary to ensure the smooth operation of the marketplace of ideas. Luckily, communications jurisprudence is relatively sophisticated in the way that it deals with natural monopoly and network effects, so there's a lot out there to work with.

There's probably a lot of overlap in the direction of our arguments and I imagine that many of my sources would be useful to you. Feel free to send me an email and I can provide more, but Itheil de Sola Pool's Technologies of Freedom, Nuechterlien and Weiser's Digital Crossroads: American Telecommunications Policy in the Internet Age, Lessig's The Future of Ideas, and Zuckman's hornbook, Modern Communications Law, were all very helpful in producing the note. In terms of case law, I'd closely read Turner I & Turner II to understand the pro-regulatory communications law arguments that the Supreme Court has recently found persuasive. They generally revolve around the threat posed by market power over physical infrastructure.

I haven't taken antitrust, so I can't help you there, but your argument sounds like a logical extension of the pro-regulatory arguments made in the communications law context.

edit: Also, Lotus v. Borland (holding that a menu command hierarchy is a "method of operation" and therefore cannot be copyrighted) involves an interesting discussion of the impact of network effects on software development and the end user.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 16, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HooKars posted:

It's my birthday tomorrow. You guys can just send cash.
Are you me?
/Birthday buddy!

mrtoodles posted:

I had one with a guy who is physically disabled. When talking to cops, he was not aggressive, but sounding a bit crazy. Cops decide to 5150 and ask him to get on his knees so they can cuff him. As he's explaining that he is physically unable to lower himself onto his knees they shoot him with a Taser.

Two Sheriff's deputies, no allegations of threatening or aggressive movements or speech, and the first physical contact is a Taser shot to the chest.

Conferencing the case with a judge, I started with "If anybody acted criminally here, it was the cops." That conversation didn't last too long. Keep in mind that the above description isn't how my client explained what happened to me. No, it's precisely how the police report reads.

PC 148 is the most bullshit charge I have to deal with.

I have another 148. PC was an empty plastic bag. Completely empty. No drugs, no residue. Empty, per the drat cops.

A colleague of mine had this 148:
Guy (client) and his buddy are at a bar. Walk out of a bar and buddy bumps into someone else. Buddy gets pissed and tries to fight the guy. Guy (the client) is holding the buddy back. Cops roll by. Taze the buddy. His head gets cracked open as he falls. 148, 647f (speaking of bullshit), 242
Not guilty. There is some justice in the world.

We;ve been doing pretty good, last few weeks:
NG Attempt murder, that case, and a 11550. I wish i could claim one of those.

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm advertising for a legal assistant to highlight stuff for me today on facebook. Paid internship. But you gotta be top 20% or on law review.

With this kind of market I can get that.
You're about to discover that grades and LR have nothing to do with the quality of a candidate.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 16, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

You're about to discover that grades and LR have nothing to do with the quality of a candidate.

Oh, I know. That statement was firmly tongue-in-cheek considering I'm a 3L (now).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Oh, I know. That statement was firmly tongue-in-cheek considering I'm a 3L (now).
Goddamn, I missed the "highlight stuff" part of that.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

nm posted:

Are you me?
/Birthday buddy!

Yes, I am you. People, please send double cash.

(Happy Birthday!)

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HooKars posted:

Yes, I am you. People, please send double cash.

(Happy Birthday!)

May is just a lawgoon month apparently. Happy birthday to all! Jobs for everyone!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/man_seeks_shoplifting_felony_to_avoid_law_school_but_is_charged_with_misdem/

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I read the whole set of the OPs, and god drat, I wish my wife would have seen this years ago. I met her during her last year of law school, and even 2 years after her graduation, we are sitting on a massive pile of her school debt. On top of that, she realized that jobs in the legal field paid so low that she ended up getting work as a business consultant (no law degree required) and is making 2x as much as she would have as a lawyer.

If she would have just kept working rather than going to law school, we'd probably be around $300,000 above where we are right now. That's not an exaggeration.

Even before seeing this thread, I knew law school was a very bad idea for most people. My wife now actively talks people out of going to law school, and resents her mother for talking her into going to law school, just so she could brag that her daughter is a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Civil posted:

I read the whole set of the OPs, and god drat, I wish my wife would have seen this years ago. I met her during her last year of law school, and even 2 years after her graduation, we are sitting on a massive pile of her school debt. On top of that, she realized that jobs in the legal field paid so low that she ended up getting work as a business consultant (no law degree required) and is making 2x as much as she would have as a lawyer.

If she would have just kept working rather than going to law school, we'd probably be around $300,000 above where we are right now. That's not an exaggeration.

Even before seeing this thread, I knew law school was a very bad idea for most people. My wife now actively talks people out of going to law school, and resents her mother for talking her into going to law school, just so she could brag that her daughter is a lawyer.

On the plus side, now your wife can think like a lawyer - who can put a price on a valuable skill like that?