Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A hand impact driver + the proper sized bits and you can get just about anything out.

Now that you've destroyed the heads though, I'd say use a dremel to cut a place where you can hit it with a punch to rotate it out like that. The shock from the hammer hitting the punch is essentially the same as an impact driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Ammanas posted:

How do I get the screws out of the bottom of the carbs? All of my phillips heads just shred the metal. Like its made of cheese or something

Any Phillips head with a small dot in the corner is a wacky Japanese standard that sits somewhere between a US #2 and #3. I got lucky and happened to have a cheapy Target/Walmart 6-in-1 screwdriver that fits them perfectly, I've also heard drywall screw bits suggested.

Ammanas posted:

That worked for most of them but two just got tore up. Bottom aint coming off now.

Dremel time! Cut some slots and find the largest flat-head that will fit. Replace all of them with some nice Allen heads from the hardware store, don't forget the anti-seize crayon too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Terminal posted:

Any Phillips head with a small dot in the corner is a wacky Japanese standard that sits somewhere between a US #2 and #3. I got lucky and happened to have a cheapy Target/Walmart 6-in-1 screwdriver that fits them perfectly, I've also heard drywall screw bits suggested.

Dremel time! Cut some slots and find the largest flat-head that will fit. Replace all of them with some nice Allen heads from the hardware store, don't forget the anti-seize crayon too.

JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) is the name of the oddball screw head type.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I managed to get the screws in my carbs out without stripping them. The trick is to loosen them a little with vicegrips first.

Do yourself a favor and replace those screws with stainless steel allen head screws. 8 M4x14 screws will only set you back maybe $5, and its worth it having float bowl screws that aren't made of butter.

kaiory
Sep 24, 2007
I bought my ninja used and the first time I worked on the carbs I ended up taking my dremel to half of the screws and cutting a notch in them to use a flat head screwdriver.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I emptied out the gas tank, probably got around 90% of the fluid in there out and refilled it with new gas. Emptied the carbs completely of gas. Checked one of the plugs, bit fouled with gas. I want to run the engine through some of the gas before putting new clean ones in, but the engine won't catch. Whats the best way to get some gas into the carbs? Could be the plugs keeping it from igniting right?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
You need to clean the pilot jets out. Setting the fuel switch to "PRI" (prime) should get gas into the bowls.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Tsaven Nava posted:

You need to clean the pilot jets out. Setting the fuel switch to "PRI" (prime) should get gas into the bowls.

I don't believe the 250 has a prime setting.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Ammanas posted:

I emptied out the gas tank, probably got around 90% of the fluid in there out and refilled it with new gas. Emptied the carbs completely of gas. Checked one of the plugs, bit fouled with gas. I want to run the engine through some of the gas before putting new clean ones in, but the engine won't catch. Whats the best way to get some gas into the carbs? Could be the plugs keeping it from igniting right?

Right, you need a vacuum to open the petcock and allow fuel to flow to the carburetors. In order to get that, you have to get the engine spinning by some other means. Typically, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to just crank it with the starter a few dozen times, but this is hard on the battery and starter motor. I recommend either getting it rolling down an incline at a decent speed and popping the clutch with the bike in gear, or busting out a can of ether/starting fluid and spraying it in the airbox before hitting the starter; I've used both of these methods with great success in the past.

Edit: and yes, if your spark plugs are fouled that would also be a problem.

sectoidman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 15, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

blugu64 posted:

I don't believe the 250 has a prime setting.

Oh, it doesn't? I thought I saw one on Modify_Evolution's bike. I also could be totally wrong.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Tsaven Nava posted:

Oh, it doesn't? I thought I saw one on Modify_Evolution's bike. I also could be totally wrong.

RES-ON-OFF

I wish prime was an option, I feel like a bad man when I have to crank it for 5+ seconds after carb work as the bowls fill :(

Typik
May 8, 2010
Looking to buy my first bike and have kindof been trying to overlook the 250 because I've always thought of it as a cheap bike that may not last long. Can someone convince me otherwise? Or are my thoughts correct? Also looking for a bike with the capability to take me on a ride through two or three states without making GBS threads out on me. Can the 250 do that?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Typik posted:

Looking to buy my first bike and have kindof been trying to overlook the 250 because I've always thought of it as a cheap bike that may not last long. Can someone convince me otherwise? Or are my thoughts correct? Also looking for a bike with the capability to take me on a ride through two or three states without making GBS threads out on me. Can the 250 do that?

I rode mine from Dallas to LA and Back, meandering along the way. 5.5k miles, all I needed was tires, oil, and a valve adjustment. I had to replace the cam chain tensioner as it started rattling, but I think that was going to happen anyway.

All in all I've put almost 20k miles on mine.

EDIT: Forgive my selfindulgence, as I've posted a ride report back in the day, but you asked to be convinced...

Starting Mileage, just outside Dallas

The VLA, those fuckers are huge BTW

Took a back route that took me on 30 miles of dirt roads and trails. Street tires Hell yes.

Dirty Dirty Dirty

Arizona...Not what I expected either.

Big rear end Copper Mine

Death Valley

Saw a sign and took another 20 mile excursion on dirt roads/trails in Death Valley (hilariously fun passing dudes in big rear end jeeps on a 250 BTW)

Santa Monica, and the end of the way out there.

Monument Valley

Four Corners

Back Home in Texas (still 400 miles from my part of Texas)

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 15, 2010

Typik
May 8, 2010

blugu64 posted:

I rode mine from Dallas to LA and Back, meandering along the way. 5.5k miles, all I needed was tires, oil, and a valve adjustment. I had to replace the cam chain tensioner as it started rattling, but I think that was going to happen anyway.

All in all I've put almost 20k miles on mine.

How many miles would you say a 250 would last given proper care?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Typik posted:

60-70k miles?

It also depends which 250 you're refering to. Something low-revving like the Rebel will probably go forever, but the Ninja 250 is pretty high strung. I don't think they're going to hit 150k like some of the big twins will, or 300k like a Goldwing will.

*edit* huuur you're probably talking about the Ninja 250 because this is the Ninja 250 thread.

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 15, 2010

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

60-70k miles?

Honestly that might be a bit high, but still, it's a cheap bike and it's not like you couldn't pickup a second one for under 2grand. Great bike to learn on, massively underrated. Cheap enough to do stupid poo poo and not worry about it (and not drop it like you would on say...a virago ;) ), goes the distance.

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3289453 More Ninja250 Cross Country goodness...still waiting on a ride report.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 16, 2010

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

blugu64 posted:

Honestly that might be a bit high, but still, it's a cheap bike and it's not like you couldn't pickup a second one for under 2grand. Great bike to learn on, massively underrated. Cheap enough to do stupid poo poo and not worry about it (and not drop it like you would on say...a virago ;) ), goes the distance.

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3289453 More Ninja250 Cross Country goodness...still waiting on a ride report.

You know, 60-70k would probably be a reasonable estimate for mean time before a major engine failure, but a low-mileage replacement engine can probably be found for <$500 in any decent motorcycle salvage yard. Rebuilding a ninja 250 engine would also make for a nice project if one were so inclined.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I know a guy who rides the poo poo out of a ninja 250...it's his streetbike and he smokes literbikes on it, and it's over 100k. He's got a gen 2 one as well.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

sectoidman posted:

Right, you need a vacuum to open the petcock and allow fuel to flow to the carburetors. In order to get that, you have to get the engine spinning by some other means. Typically, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to just crank it with the starter a few dozen times, but this is hard on the battery and starter motor. I recommend either getting it rolling down an incline at a decent speed and popping the clutch with the bike in gear, or busting out a can of ether/starting fluid and spraying it in the airbox before hitting the starter; I've used both of these methods with great success in the past.

Edit: and yes, if your spark plugs are fouled that would also be a problem.

Spraying it in the airbox? Little more detail please, this sounds like the easiest means.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

nm, got it started. idle stability is better than it was, but not quite there. new spark plugs might make a difference? revs drift down when you shut off the throttle. seemed to overheat; has plenty of coolant, but its due for an oil change as well

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

I know a guy who rides the poo poo out of a ninja 250...it's his streetbike and he smokes literbikes on it,

. . . how the hell does that work?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

blugu64 posted:

Still working on it ;)

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Tsaven Nava posted:

the person on the literbike has no clue/typical z3n bs heh

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

He's stupid loving fast. Ex AMA racer, on any tighter backroads, they just don't have a chance to use the power. People just don't get it until they see it happen, a 250 is capable of just as much lean as a supersport, is lighter, you're not going to overbrake. I remember when I thought it'd be impossible for someone on a 250 to outrun a decent rider on a 600 or a literbike until I saw it happen.

This guy is at the front of group rides filled with racers. His name is Gary J, just go look it up on BARF. You'll see plenty of people who will say the same thing. He's comfortable with the roads, he knows his bike, and that's pretty much all there is to it.

Imagine if you could get to max lean in every corner, comfortably. That's how he rides the 250, and he just never brakes. What invariably happens is he ends up carrying 10-15mph more through a corner, and the guys on bigger bikes will try and make it up on the gas, but won't have enough time before they have to start braking for the next corner. If you have to make up a 10mph deficit that's been carried through the entire corner, you've got a lot of ground to make up. Also, all that additional speed has to be scrubbed off, so that's more time off the gas, and chances are you're going to overbrake and not maximize your cornerspeed like he is...plus it's a lot harder to get good drive on the street on a 600/1000. If you're only at a quarter throttle through most of the corner, you're making the same power that he is...and he got on the throttle earlier and harder than you did anyways.

At best, street riders tend to be like C group trackday riders. And in the C group, your hardware just doesn't matter.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 16, 2010

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Typik posted:

When I was looking for bikes I saw several Ninja 250s for sale with over 60k miles. Then I looked at one with 96k miles and it was... not in a good way. The motors won't completely die at a young mileage though.

Ended up getting an SV650 with 35k because those motors are good for 100k.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Spraying it in the airbox? Little more detail please, this sounds like the easiest means.

For future reference, the airbox is directly under the seat, just behind the fuel tank. I just spray some ether into the upper two intake holes on it, and that usually does the job.

Also, now that you have it running consider dumping in a can of seafoam and taking it out for an italian tuneup session. That should sort your carbs out if it is possible to sort them out without detail-stripping and cleaning them off of the bike.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i already ran some seafoam directly into the carbs. it was a little odd, white smoke only came out of the left exhaust while the right was clean. seafoam should have gone into both carbs and cylinders...

incidentally the left exhaust is leaking at the point where the exhaust can meets the exhaust tubes, probably from it was dropped on that side. is there a heat-rated tape i can use to seal this up with?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Ammanas posted:

i already ran some seafoam directly into the carbs. it was a little odd, white smoke only came out of the left exhaust while the right was clean. seafoam should have gone into both carbs and cylinders...

incidentally the left exhaust is leaking at the point where the exhaust can meets the exhaust tubes, probably from it was dropped on that side. is there a heat-rated tape i can use to seal this up with?

It would probably be about the same price, if not cheaper, just to order a new gasket for that connection.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
How do I seafoam my 250? Just go to a Pep Boys, buy a typical can, and dump the whole thing in my gas tank?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

How do I seafoam my 250? Just go to a Pep Boys, buy a typical can, and dump the whole thing in my gas tank?
Go to Pep Boys, buy a typical can, read the directions and put the amount it suggests into your gas tank. (It's something like 1 ounce per gallon of gas.)

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Something like that should work well, yes. Make sure you're adding that to a full/almost-full tank of gas though.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

the walkin dude posted:

This is kind of a moot point for 250s, but ride the piss out of it while the seafoam is working its way through the system.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

putting seafoam into the gas did nothing for me, ymmv.

above 30 mph releasing the handlebars results in increasing headshake. trees out of alignment from drop? bad suspension on 250?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

putting seafoam into the gas did nothing for me, ymmv.

above 30 mph releasing the handlebars results in increasing headshake. trees out of alignment from drop? bad suspension on 250?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/My_handlebars_shudder_when_I_ride

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
How long 'til the effects from the Seafoam sets in? I read online somewhere, it takes a few days.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

How long 'til the effects from the Seafoam sets in? I read online somewhere, it takes a few days.

Just put a shot or two in the gas and ride baby ride. I'd assume the effects are over once you've burned it all out.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Thanks! Seafoaming in process now.

Today:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

My 250 next to my gf's gay roommate's 250. Colors easily signify which one's the gay one.
Edit: in this picture, blue colors are actually purple.

I am seriously considering selling my ninja 500 to get another 250. Is that sheer lunacy?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

the walkin dude posted:

I am seriously considering selling my ninja 500 to get another 250. Is that sheer lunacy?

I'm pretty sure that I love old gen Ninja 250s more than the SV650 I ended up buying, I just couldn't find any on my local market that weren't beat. I got a well-maintained SV650 for less than people want for their Ninjettes around here. :\

So yes, get more 250s.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Thanks! Seafoaming in process now.

Today:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

My 250 next to my gf's gay roommate's 250. Colors easily signify which one's the gay one.
Edit: in this picture, blue colors are actually purple.

Just make sure it is also green, so that it matches the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Just got back from a very nice ride with my brother and a few friends.

3 250r's and 1 gsxr 750 tearin up the local twisties :D

• Locked thread