Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Kid Moe posted:

I just bought the Civilization IV complete edition ive played it before but i always find that im in way over my head by the end and have no idea what to do. Any pointers?

If you've never played any Civ before, run the vanilla Civ IV game (not either of the expansions) and play the tutorial. It'll cover a lot of the basics. And if you've played Civ before but IV is kicking your rear end on higher levels, check out the finer points of empire management here. Also, you should probably download the BUG mod which provides you with a wealth of additional information that doesn't change the actual gameplay in the slightest. It just makes things a lot easier to understand, like notifying you when a city is about to become unhappy on the next turn, or when a city can sacrifice population to rush production and how much it'll cost and how long the unhappiness will remain.

Other than that:
Always be making military units. Ideally, you'll have 1 major city where you've settled your great generals and that has an insanely high production score (so look for lots of hills or production-increasing resources like horses, iron, bronze, stone, etc. during city placement) so that you can churn out basic units relatively quickly. If possible, try to place this city on a coast so you can use it to build ships, too. The ships will receive all the EXP bonuses from the great generals just like ground troops do.

In the late game, siege weapons will be one of the most effective military units, meaning you'll want to build as many as possible. Not only can they obliterate city defenses, they can also deal massive amounts of collateral damage to several units at once. Your armies should eventually be AT LEAST half siege weaponry and half infantry, if not more.

Scouting is vital because everything in Civ requires time to implement (which is why civics like Slavery and Universal Suffrage are so useful). Be sure to explore the map and be diligent about trading maps once you have the opportunity.

If you're willing to play aggressively, you can ignore founding a religion on your own in favour of taking a holy city later in the game. Conversely, if you have the option of founding a religion for free (through the Oracle or Liberalism), it can be a quick way to bolster a flagging economy, provided you can create a great prophet at some point.

If you choose your leader (instead of playing randomly), look for good unique units and unique buildings (UU/UB). As a general rule of thumb, civs with early (ancient/classical) military unique units are very powerful. Also, there will be some buildings you'll build in almost every city (like granaries) so civs with unique versions of those buildings will also be very effective.

When you're just starting out, beeline for Bronze Working, then for Alphabet. BW will let you chop trees and adopt the Slavery civic to increase production in cities. BW also unlocks military units like axemen which can steamroll over less advanced civs very early on. Alphabet will allow you to trade technologies with the other civs. After that, it can vary depending on your playing style.

If you find the mid- to late-game too boring, try playing Terra maps instead. They're all designed to simulate Earth's history, meaning you start out on a Europe/Asia/Africa landmass, and have to rush to discover Astronomy so you can sail across the ocean to settle the new world. Makes the late game a lot more engaging.

Rival civs will attack you for a variety of reasons, like getting too weak or close borders. Pay attention to your graphs, especially the power graph, in order to see how you stack up to your foes. You can have the highest score and the weakest military, so you need to look at more than just your score.

If the late game is becoming too confusing, play on smaller maps with fewer civs and plan your victory in advance. Are you going for conquest, or diplomacy? Space race, or time? Planning for those things early on will give the late game a better sense of purpose, and you won't just be randomly training units and sending your workers aimlessly across the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Just got Jagged Edge 2 Gold Edition and I'm a little bit overwhelmed--the controls seem kind of clunky, the guns I've got access to all suck, and I feel like I'm missing something. I've restarted three times and read some FAQs but something's still not clicking.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Trying to go through the Witcher again. And... doing quite poorly. It took me a few hours to figure out how to get the gambling screen to do anything, and I still don't get how to apply rune upgrades.

What do I need to know about the game to suck less?

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
For Jagged Alliance, check out the guides here: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/

tl;dr tips for beginners: use all of your money to buy one or two really skilled mercs (Shadow is a good choice) - you'll get more money after you conquer the Drassen mine. Play at night for the first few fights - Shadow's good night vision will help even the odds against enemies with long-range weapons. Once you get access to rifles the game gets MUCH easier. (note: you can hire a merc for a day, take their starting weapon off, and then dismiss them - you get to keep the weapon!)

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm trying to play La-Mulana, but I've heard a lot about traps and puzzles that can permanently screw up your save if you fail them. I'd like to explore myself, but I don't want to lose my save if I do something wrong. Is there a list of dead ends somewhere?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

I'm trying to play La-Mulana, but I've heard a lot about traps and puzzles that can permanently screw up your save if you fail them. I'd like to explore myself, but I don't want to lose my save if I do something wrong. Is there a list of dead ends somewhere?

The things you can lock yourself out of are two whip upgrades and your sanity. If you have any interest in completing the game or in knowing what to do you should consult a guide. La-Mulana was not designed with anyone but the programmer in mind.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Barudak posted:

The things you can lock yourself out of are two whip upgrades and your sanity. If you have any interest in completing the game or in knowing what to do you should consult a guide. La-Mulana was not designed with anyone but the programmer in mind.

I've looked for a guide, but the only things I've been able to find is a list of items and Deceased Crab's LP of it. Is there a guide somewhere you can link me to?

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Elswyyr posted:

I've looked for a guide, but the only things I've been able to find is a list of items and Deceased Crab's LP of it. Is there a guide somewhere you can link me to?

You watched Deceased Crab's LP and you still want to play La Mulana? I spent the entire time thinking "gently caress, I'm glad that isn't me." However, this should suffice, if you're determined to find the point at which you degenerate into a drooling, quivering shell of a human being.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

La Mulana is actually really good but I pity you for sitting through Deceased Crab's terrible videos.

Willie McGee
Jul 25, 2007
I'm about to start playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope, any tips? I've never played any Star Ocean games and the things I'm usually worried about are missing ultimate weapons or side characters.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Luxury posted:

I'm about to start playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope, any tips? I've never played any Star Ocean games and the things I'm usually worried about are missing ultimate weapons or side characters.

You could always try the page on the wiki. It's pretty awesome.

For anyone looking at the wiki, I don't have my desktop hooked up. I'll try to pound some more out next week.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

La Mulana is actually really good but I pity you for sitting through Deceased Crab's terrible videos.

You have no soul.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Any Pointers for Digital Devil Saga?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConanThe3rd posted:

You'll initially want to ignore the element each person starts with and instead spend your atma on the element they're weak to.

Unlike most other RPGs, status effects are loving huge and can turn an unwinnable battle into a cakewalk.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Any tips for Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Make sure to devour enemies whenever possible and to learn the skill Iron Stomach as a soon as possible as it prevents any negatives from consuming. The game is fairly grindy for both money and Atma, but knowing your enemies alignment or skill set allows you to utterly destroy them.

I don't know if you have both games, but keep in mind that while everything is answered in the sequel, nothing is answered in the first one.

There really isn't such things as towns, so having skills like chakra walk or whatever that gives you MP back for every step is incredibly useful. Healing magic is cheap so don't be afraid to get liberal with it, especially because certain spells consume HP not MP.

Never ever quit Demon Form. The number of enemies weak to bullets are few and the amount of buffs you get for being in Demon Form trivializes human form. The exception is a floating brain enemy called Omiokone which is weak only to bullets and drops huge amounts of atma and money.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Anyone got Pointers for 3d Dot Game Heroes? I'm scared of missing out on important stuff.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Vita posted:

Any tips for Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery?

I posted a lot here.

I enjoy talking about this game too much, so let me know if you want more specific tips.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

21stCentury posted:

Anyone got Pointers for 3d Dot Game Heroes? I'm scared of missing out on important stuff.

There are certain things you need to do before completing each dungeon in order to get every sword in the game. One of the most important of these is talking to a guy in the first town's inn to get him to start making a '3D mech game', then finding him in the 'From Cave', and talking to him pretty much after every temple to progress his development.

There are other things that you can miss too. I'd recommend glancing at a guide (gamefaqs has a really good one up) that just lists the things that can be missed.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Morpheus posted:

There are certain things you need to do before completing each dungeon in order to get every sword in the game. One of the most important of these is talking to a guy in the first town's inn to get him to start making a '3D mech game', then finding him in the 'From Cave', and talking to him pretty much after every temple to progress his development.

There are other things that you can miss too. I'd recommend glancing at a guide (gamefaqs has a really good one up) that just lists the things that can be missed.

Oh crap... after every temple, you say? Darn...

I might restart.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

21stCentury posted:

Oh crap... after every temple, you say? Darn...

I might restart.

Not necessarily every single temple. Go to the cave; if it has a sign that says "Development Cancelled", then you're screwed.

But yeah, I restarted after beating the fourth temple since I didn't get a book from some guy in Ortego before beating it.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Morpheus posted:

Not necessarily every single temple. Go to the cave; if it has a sign that says "Development Cancelled", then you're screwed.

But yeah, I restarted after beating the fourth temple since I didn't get a book from some guy in Ortego before beating it.

what, the Bestiary?

Why do you need to get it before the 4th temple?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Can anyone help me not suck at Master of Orion II. Enemies regularly outclass me even though I'm more technologically advanced and outnumber them 3:1 (what's this self destruct/pulse ability they seem to be using that destroys my entire fleet and how can I dodge it?). Also what's your recommendation for taking out planetary defenses like those starbases and defeating Orion's guardian?

Just help around this game is addicting yet I keep getting into stalemates about 5 years into a small map game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anyone got anything for the Saboteur? Things I should do/unlock as soon as possible, so on and so forth?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

al-azad posted:

Can anyone help me not suck at Master of Orion II. Enemies regularly outclass me even though I'm more technologically advanced and outnumber them 3:1 (what's this self destruct/pulse ability they seem to be using that destroys my entire fleet and how can I dodge it?). Also what's your recommendation for taking out planetary defenses like those starbases and defeating Orion's guardian?

Missiles rule for the first half of the game, beams later. Technology usually beats numbers. Starbases are handled like ships, just use standard tactics. You can also go right up to a starbase and board it, although that generally doesn't do much unless you have ground combat bonuses.

A good ship to defeat the Guardian is a battleship with LVL V shields, Hard Shields, heavy Plasma Cannons, and a good targeting computer. Build about six of these.

If you have archives, I sperged out a huge post on ultimate MOO2 strategy a while back.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

ConanThe3rd posted:

Cielo is useless.

At the very end, the game will indicate very clearly that you're at a point of no return. If you proceed further it leads to the final boss. But if you turn back, you will be able to backtrack to some earlier locations and fight some great optional bosses that will unlock the game's ultimate skill lists and give you items that transfer over to Digital Devil Saga 2.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Okay, so I'm giving Final Fantasy Tactics another try and hoping it sticks with me this time. Any advice to keep it interesting or certain things to watch out for?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Anyone got anything for the Saboteur? Things I should do/unlock as soon as possible, so on and so forth?

I forget what perk it is, but unlocking the ability to plant explosives while in a disguise without drawing suspicion is quite handy.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

al-azad posted:

Just help around this game is addicting yet I keep getting into stalemates about 5 years into a small map game.

Get Research Labs, then Reinforced Hull -> Automated Factories. Don't wait too much longer before getting Planetary Supercomputer.

The best early weapon is MIRV Nuclear Missiles, which you can build when you've researched the 650 RP level of Chemistry. Build Missiles x2, not Missile x20 - you want two big salvos, not twenty wimpy ones.

If all else fails, a Unification/Tolerant race is basically cheating.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I usually play human in a small galaxy and get the hydroponic farming so I can actually sustain myself on crappy planets but this game is a totally different beast from the original and I can't help but feel overwhelmed.

Also while I'm at it anyone play Men of War? I'm having fun but it's total bullshit that the first mission expects you and your 10 soviet soldiers to take on (literally) 150+ germans plus their tanks. Then the second mission begins and it (loving LITERALLY) gives you 200 dudes scattered across the map and says "lol defend yourself. on 8 fronts."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

21stCentury posted:

what, the Bestiary?

Why do you need to get it before the 4th temple?

No, actually something called "The Book of Ultima". If you don't talk to some guy in Ortego (after doing the water fetch quest) between the desert and the water temple, it's gone for good.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just bought Splinter Cell: Double Agent. I played the ones leading up to this about 10 years ago it seems. I hear this one has a much more involved choice driven storyline. Anything I should know?

Also, am I missing a cutscene or something at the beginning? It seems as if the game starts with me jumping out of a plane with no rhyme or reason for me being at this powerplant or whatever.

If anyone has Conviction it would be great to know what you think of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just bought Splinter Cell: Double Agent. I played the ones leading up to this about 10 years ago it seems. I hear this one has a much more involved choice driven storyline. Anything I should know?

Also, am I missing a cutscene or something at the beginning? It seems as if the game starts with me jumping out of a plane with no rhyme or reason for me being at this powerplant or whatever.

If anyone has Conviction it would be great to know what you think of it.

Which version of Double Agent do you have? If its the 360 version its not really choice driven as its very, very easy to go into the final mission with maxed or near maxed rep for both factions. Additionally the mission structure is weaker.

The powerplant mission is a set-up mission to basically show off how awesome Sam is and how poo poo the new 3rd Echelon guy is.

Conviction basically removes some stealth in favor of more leathality. More 3rd Person Shooting/Stalking less 3rd Sneaking.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

SiKboy posted:

You get to buy two perks, buy the vehicle collection ones, as they are tedious as hell to do. All the other ones can be done easily, especially after you get a bunch of nazi vehicles in your garage.

Buy the silenced pistol ASAP. It's broken as hell and basically allows you to kill anything without being noticed.

Stealth killing Generals only means you need to do the stealth kill move on them. if you run up behind them, then do one, it will count even through you're being seen.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Okay, so I'm giving Final Fantasy Tactics another try and hoping it sticks with me this time. Any advice to keep it interesting or certain things to watch out for?

Press Select on anything you want more info about. The tutorial is informative, but it can be boring so skip it or save sections of it for later as they become relevant. Also remember the handy-dandy Battle Mechanics Guide on gamefaqs for everything you'd need to know about FFT.

For every ability with a charge time (except Jump) you can press right to see when the ability will resolve.

You want high Brave and Faith for all your units. Among other things, Brave affects how often your Reaction ability will activate. Faith affects the effectiveness of magic you cast and also magic cast on you. You can raise Faith up to 94 (using the Mediator's Preach) before your non-Ramza units will decide to leave the party. Lowering your faith is a legit strategy too but it effectively prevents you from using six skillsets, and that's no fun. fyi magic is pretty overpowered in FFT.

If you don't find it too boring, it's totally worth it to go to the soldier's office at the beginning of the game and continually enter/exit out of the hiring screen until you find a few generics with high (60+) brave and faith and good zodiac inter-compatibility. Also this way you can name them yourself.

Good news: You don't have to grind to get good abilities! Make getting Gained JP UP a priority and keep it on for most of the game. You can also send your generics out on propositions - pick propositions where there are two blue dots next to each other (so there's no possibility of random battles) and you can gain a few hundred JP for a few generics in a couple minutes.

Also it's worth noting Ramza's Squire class is special and improves whenever Ramza gets a new sprite.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 15, 2010

Puppy
Jan 29, 2009

I do not belong here.

Brother Entropy posted:

The intro is the hardest part to get past. You may need to spend two or three random battles just grinding your way to a decent range of skills in order for things to be manageable. In particular, there are a handful of skills on the Squire that are incredibly useful.

* Gained JP UP (costs 200 to learn): This should be on all your characters, all the time, unless the fight is hard enough to demand spending the slot on something else. Needless to say, make this the first skill you learn for everyone.
* Move +1 (costs 200 to learn): Being able to move an extra few spaces per turn is game-breaking. Get this asap, and try and get a pair of Battle Boots (equip: Move+1) for everyone as well. They're inexpensive and can be bought from the very beginning.
* Accumulate (costs 300 to learn): This one is not essential, but it's useful because it provides you with a way to gain XP and JP every turn. A lot of the time, you may find that your character has nothing to do - no enemies in range, no allies to heal, whatever - and you just have to waste your turn. The damage bonus from Accumulate isn't that big a deal, but the overall XP and JP increase is.

Once you've learned at least the first two skills on each character - feel free to draw out the battles by attacking your own characters when it's safe - then you should move on to other jobs. It's at this point that Dorter Trade City - the game's first big cockblock - should be easily doable as well. It's useful to know which jobs lead to which others - you should be able to find a chart of this on gamefaqs or something. For instance, Archer is generally a pretty weak class overall, but is a prerequisite for the Ninja, which is a killing machine. Use your knowledge of job prerequisites as a guide for which job you should be focusing on. That being said, it's entirely possible to beat the whole game just using early-game jobs.

Some classes, like Monks and Ninjas, are transparently awesome. Others, like Chemists, are surprisingly awesome. Don't underestimate them. In lots of situations, they're better healers than the Priest, because their heals don't have a cast time. Also, their Auto-Potion is an amazing reaction ability that can be acquired very early on.

At the very beginning of the game, after you get handed your initial set of generic characters, don't feel anchored to them. Look at their stats - if they have crappy Brave and Faith, feel free to kick them off the team and head down to the recruiting office to pick up a new teammate. There's no point in playing with some chump with 45 Brave and 53 Faith the whole game just because that's how the dice were rolled. It doesn't cost anything to cycle through their selection of generics, and once you find one with stats you like, he or she is very inexpensive to pick up. You'll want at least 67-68 Brave for your physical-oriented characters and 67-68 Faith for your magic-oriented characters. Actually, Brave is useful for both magical and physical characters, because it determines your reaction ability success rate (70 Brave = 70% chance to use Reaction ability). Ramza, who starts with 70 in each, works well in either role.

Having the newest gear is very important, as it increases your max HP. When I first played, I got stuck at Dorter Trade City forever before realizing I could have doubled my max HP by picking up the newest gear in Igros. However, make sure you look at other properties as well. Gear that gives bonuses to Physical or Magic attack is generally very good - don't be afraid to compromise your HP somewhat for these bonuses.

It is possible to look at the turn order as you're deciding whether to cast a spell, to see how many turns will pass before it casts. This is obviously useful if you're, say, casting Cure on a wounded target and want to know whether an enemy may get a turn and kill the target before he gets Cured. I think you do this by pressing right on the d-pad as you're cursoring over the spell, but I always forget.

Lastly, a bit of advice for much further on: When you go to Riovanes Castle, you will be thrown into a string of sequential battles in which you cannot leave to train or buy new gear. One of them is very difficult, and some players have found themselves unable to beat it, and unable to leave to learn abilities to get gear, rendering them completely stuck. For that reason, I'd advise making a separate save file before you go to Riovanes Castle. I'd also advise making sure Ramza knows Accumulate and Yell from the Squire, and has a set of Earth Clothes and a pair of Feather Boots (if you have those things, you will be guaranteed to be able to beat the fight).

Also, have fun! Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games ever. I know the intro can be kind of a drag, when you just have Squires and Chemists and stupid equipment, but as soon as you start unlocking a few new jobs - only an hour or two into the game - it very rapidly becomes a joy to play.

Puppy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 15, 2010

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Brother Entropy posted:

The wiki's got a bunch on FFT, check it out.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Morpheus posted:

No, actually something called "The Book of Ultima". If you don't talk to some guy in Ortego (after doing the water fetch quest) between the desert and the water temple, it's gone for good.

Well, that's another thing I missed! i'm gonna be extra careful this time around.

Anything else i can miss out?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

21stCentury posted:

Well, that's another thing I missed! i'm gonna be extra careful this time around.

Anything else i can miss out?

Yeah there's a good amount of stuff:

- One of the biggest ones is to talk to the man in the Raejack in the inn, who wants to make a mech game. After this, go to the 'From Cave' after every temple to talk to him to progress his game.
- In Raejack, you have to talk to a man in who can't decide who to marry and help him pick a bride. This event disappears upon clearing the Desert Temple.
- In Ortego, talk to the three people lined up below the northeast bottle salesman for a little event. This event disappears upon clearing the Desert Temple.
- For the Ultima Book, talk to the man in front of the central house in Ortego after the Desert Temple. Note that this event requires the water fetch quest to be completed. This event disappears upon clearing the Aqua Temple.
- Also in Ortego, after beating the Aqua Temple, walk into the central house in Ortego. If you completed the water fetch quest, an event will occur. Strike the rock in the center of the room 10 times to break it and then talk to the man in the center. This event disappears upon clearing the Flame Temple.
- In Colneria, after the Aqua Temple, stay at the inn to see a dream sequence. This event disappears upon clearing the Flame Temple. You also have to stay here after the Flame Temple for another dream, before you go to the Wind Temple.
- Also in Colneria after the Aqua Temple, a new man will be standing at the very north end of Colneria. Talk to him and he'll tell you he's searching for his distant relative who is a prince. This is the first step in an event sequence. This event disappears upon clearing the Flame Temple. After the Flame Temple, there will be another guy here and you have to talk to him before beating the Wind Temple.
- Again, in Colneria, after the Flame Temple, talk to one of the girls standing around the center of town and she'll ask you to be her friend. Accept and she'll give you the Amethyst. This event disappears upon clearing the Wind Temple.

I think this is all of the missable stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray Joker
Nov 3, 2007

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.
I posted some The Saboteur advice back here. Having completed the game I'd say this is still sound advice for helping you find your feet and get stuck in to blowing up nazis.

Just got Nier in the post. Given it's Square Enix, I'm almost expecting for there to be missibles. Wouldn't mind a few other gameplay or combat tips if you got them.

Oh and while I'm at it. I've got Fifa 10 I haven't had time to play yet. It's the first sports game I've ever owned, so any general skills that might apply would be great along with tips for Fifa 10.