Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

arioch posted:

That's actually right by Jock's apartment. Presumably Paul was originally going to have Jock take out Maggie Chow.

This is correct, or more likely Jock just wanted to cap that bitch in the face himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

arioch posted:

That's actually right by Jock's apartment. Presumably Paul was originally going to have Jock take out Maggie Chow.

If you log in to the PC in Jock's closet you find an email saying pretty much that.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Jock has an apartment in Hong Kong? Christ, I hate Hong Kong. I miss everything there. I never know where I am or where I'm facing or how to get anywhere.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Spatial posted:

Never noticed this before. When you meet the Luminous Path guy on Tonochi Road he says that the they're watching over you. He wasn't kidding! The roof above:

I never figured how Jock/Luminous path assassin was supposed to come back down from there without breaking a joint or a leg. I never found a ladder in that area. Maybe it was hidden in a dark corner.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
You know, the only reason I enjoyed having to fight with low-skill set weapons was because it forced you to aim center of mass at people, which increased your chances of hearing the "fleeing" messages they give ("He's way too fast!")

Honestly, once you get your hands on that laser sight in that little bunker on the first level of liberty island, you should attach it to your normal pistol, then BAM, You should be set to fight 75% of all the enemies in the game, as long as you go for head shots. No weapon skill needed at all. It became my little pocket sniper, regardless of what skills I was going with.

I always liked the environmental suit skill because it is cheap to level, and when mastered the bullet proof vest gives like 80% reduction to all blades/bullets/explosive damage. The fully powered aug only gave like 65%, and that couldn't protect from explosives. Together they give you like, 94-95% protection! Just slap a suit on then kill an entire army of mj12 troops with a kitchen knife.

As for IW, if i'm not mistaken, playing the game on realistic mode (the only way to go, in my opinion), enemies are more dangerous, but you get a massive damage boost for headshots too, making the pistol with ammo scav & damage upg all you would ever need. Hell, forget damage upgrade, just silencer.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 15, 2010

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Dr Snofeld posted:

If you log in to the PC in Jock's closet you find an email saying pretty much that.
It might be my memory playing tricks on me but I think you can shoot her in her apartment from there if you want.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Graviton v2 posted:

It might be my memory playing tricks on me but I think you can shoot her in her apartment from there if you want.

...how well is your memory because if that's true then I sure as poo poo am going to reinstall right now just to do that.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

XausF1 posted:

...how well is your memory because if that's true then I sure as poo poo am going to reinstall right now just to do that.

You can see her standing there looking out the window from Jock's apartment.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Wicker Man posted:

Honestly, once you get your hands on that laser sight in that little bunker on the first level of liberty island, you should attach it to your normal pistol, then BAM, You should be set to fight 75% of all the enemies in the game, as long as you go for head shots. No weapon skill needed at all. It became my little pocket sniper, regardless of what skills I was going with.

The one thing I dislike about Shifter is the laser sight nerf. I wish I could get a Shifter mod that just leaves the laser sight alone.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Makes you wonder how jock got a place right outside of Maggie's like that. If there was ever a remake, I wonder how they would handle that situation, or if they'd simply recreate it: hide Jock's apartment somewhere in Hong Kong, but, Hitman style, require you to procure a room in a building with a perfect line of site Maggie's place.

Please God, make Deus Ex 3 good so I have something pretty to play :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Le Sean posted:

Makes you wonder how jock got a place right outside of Maggie's like that. If there was ever a remake, I wonder how they would handle that situation, or if they'd simply recreate it: hide Jock's apartment somewhere in Hong Kong, but, Hitman style, require you to procure a room in a building with a perfect line of site Maggie's place.

Please God, make Deus Ex 3 good so I have something pretty to play :(

Or give Maggie Chow a Hitman Balcony death.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Pope Guilty posted:

The one thing I dislike about Shifter is the laser sight nerf. I wish I could get a Shifter mod that just leaves the laser sight alone.
The "Always on" effect for the laser sight was done early on in Shifter, and for a good year and a half it was a nice, awesome little find that made your pistol an infinite accuracy rail gun within 10 minutes of a new game. And then somebody on Gamefaqs proposed having the laser waver to him... :( Originally it was even worse, with the laser location within your crosshairs tending to jump around at random and teleport around, but I convinced Yuki to lighten it up a bit.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

okay so where is Jock's apartment? Is it on Tonnochi Road?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stratdax posted:

its the building across from Maggie's

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stratdax posted:

Yes it's in the same zone as Maggie Chow's penthouse, just take the elevator.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Looks like I was wrong. What a shame.

etalian posted:

Yes it's in the same zone as Maggie Chow's penthouse, just take the elevator.
You can also jump into Jock's apartment from her place. Break the window on the balcony and in you go.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Spatial posted:

You can also jump into Jock's apartment from her place. Break the window on the balcony and in you go.

I hope your legs are augmented, it's a long fall if you miss.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Wicker Man posted:

As for IW, if i'm not mistaken, playing the game on realistic mode (the only way to go, in my opinion), enemies are more dangerous
Enemies are pretty fuckin' dangerous in DX 1's Realistic mode. If the enemy has a sniper rifle, you're out in one shot. Hell, Liberty Island can be a bitch if you're spotted because one pistol round to the chest will kill you.

Shifter's Unrealistic mode is far worse, though. Realistic damages apply, except every enemy bullet weapon now fires explosive bullets that, you guessed it, one-shot you in the chest or head, AND ballistic protection doesn't work against it. Other things that kill you instantly: GEP, LAMs, and PS20s (randomly given to enemies and creatures), or a single burst of flame if you don't start spamming medkits. Unrealistic is highly unforgiving.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hope your legs are augmented, it's a long fall if you miss.

What a shame.

On a more pertinent note, is there anything worth stealing in the police station Maggie Chow sends you to? It's been a while.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Tanith posted:

What a shame.

On a more pertinent note, is there anything worth stealing in the police station Maggie Chow sends you to? It's been a while.
I think there's just some bullets, flamethrower fuel, and a few various grenades. It's an OK haul, worth checking out on your way to/from Luminous Path, but not worth going way out of your way for.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm wondering if the game actually noted my "excessive" use the of prod. When I checked Jaime Reyes computer I found he had received messages about finding signs of "excessive force" on the captured prisoners (burn marks from the prod beatings I administered). Has anyone else found the same email on Jaime Reyes computer without using the prod?

When I when I prod people I like to hold the prod on them as long as possible and watch them spaz out. :cool: gently caress you Paul, I used the drat prod and I'm still getting bitched out!

This would pretty cool if the game picked up that I was shocking people too long with the prod or is the email always on his computer?

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 15, 2010

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DropsySufferer posted:

This would pretty cool if the game picked up that I was shocking people too long with the prod or is the email always on his computer?

The email is always there and it refers to injuries inflicted on prisoners during interrogation. JC doesn't have anything to do with it.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
So I decided to give the on-site procurement challenge a try and quickly realised the full consequences of the challenge. I angled my skills towards a tech-focused Solid Snake evasion build then realised at Battery Park that it wasn't really going to work within the constraints of the challenge. I'm guessing it's best to take a balanced build with the challenge, so you can use whatever's on hand?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Frankosity posted:

So I decided to give the on-site procurement challenge a try and quickly realised the full consequences of the challenge. I angled my skills towards a tech-focused Solid Snake evasion build then realised at Battery Park that it wasn't really going to work within the constraints of the challenge. I'm guessing it's best to take a balanced build with the challenge, so you can use whatever's on hand?

I guess computer-advanced and low-tech at least trained will make the most difference. Melee weapons can be found virtually everywhere, and don't require ammo. Computer hacking is just useful EVERYWHERE.

Even though you don't need weapons per se, some training in either pistols or rifles will help in the harder maps. In the first few maps, pistol skills > rifle skills, because the NSF mostly carries the 10mm. Later on, when fighting MJ12, rifle skill is more important, but melee stays viable throughout the entire game. I personally went with computer-lowtech-rifle as my build, and I'm now at Hong Kong.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You want to get microfibral muscle, you just need a bin bag or similar to knock people out with level 3 or above.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm wondering if the game actually noted my "excessive" use the of prod. When I checked Jaime Reyes computer I found he had received messages about finding signs of "excessive force" on the captured prisoners (burn marks from the prod beatings I administered). Has anyone else found the same email on Jaime Reyes computer without using the prod?

When I when I prod people I like to hold the prod on them as long as possible and watch them spaz out. :cool: gently caress you Paul, I used the drat prod and I'm still getting bitched out!

Yes, it has no connection to your actions. It's just there to add depth, make the good guys not seem so good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Cops in Deus Ex use tasers as implements of torture and abuse just the same as real cops use tasers as implements of torture and abuse.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Messing around with releasing the "specimens" in the Versalife lab. They were killed by the MIBs pretty quickly. But then an MIB started attacking a guard, and all of a sudden all the guards piled out of the rest room and a huge MIB/guard war started, with a bunch of scientists trapped in the middle. It was glorious.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Messing around with releasing the "specimens" in the Versalife lab. They were killed by the MIBs pretty quickly. But then an MIB started attacking a guard, and all of a sudden all the guards piled out of the rest room and a huge MIB/guard war started, with a bunch of scientists trapped in the middle. It was glorious.

I had the same thing happen with the cap'n. Let him go and all of a sudden it's complete madness between the hobo, MIB, and MJ12 ignoring me entirely as I casually stroll into the augmentation storage area and take everything. He's a good man, that captain.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
gently caress, the throwing-melee-weapons mechanic of Shifter is hilarious. Running around Liberty Island, throwing crowbars and batons in the faces of the NSF guys never gets old. The BONK sound makes it even more cartoony.

Guns are for suckers. Here, take a piece of massive steel IN YOUR FACE.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
One of my favorite things to do in the Versalife labs is to hide in the vents with a silenced sniper rifle and shoot the M/WiBs. As long as you get a one-hit kill every time nobody will raise the alarm; apparently if there's no body and no gunshot there's no problem, even when a dude explodes for no apparent reason.

insaine
Aug 29, 2006
Releasing all the specimens in the Versalife labs is a routine thing in any playthrough I do, it's just too good seeing all the scientists flip out and the MiBs just wasting everything.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Carbohydrates posted:

Enemies are pretty fuckin' dangerous in DX 1's Realistic mode. If the enemy has a sniper rifle, you're out in one shot. Hell, Liberty Island can be a bitch if you're spotted because one pistol round to the chest will kill you.

Shifter's Unrealistic mode is far worse, though. Realistic damages apply, except every enemy bullet weapon now fires explosive bullets that, you guessed it, one-shot you in the chest or head, AND ballistic protection doesn't work against it. Other things that kill you instantly: GEP, LAMs, and PS20s (randomly given to enemies and creatures), or a single burst of flame if you don't start spamming medkits. Unrealistic is highly unforgiving.

From the sound of it, a stealth build would be someones best bet, and maybe computer hacking for turret/evil droid mayhem. Do you ever get that explosive ammo type for yourself?

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Anime Reference posted:

One of my favorite things to do in the Versalife labs is to hide in the vents with a silenced sniper rifle and shoot the M/WiBs. As long as you get a one-hit kill every time nobody will raise the alarm; apparently if there's no body and no gunshot there's no problem, even when a dude explodes for no apparent reason.

Probably just some homeless guy *resumes patrolling*

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Chunderbucket posted:

Probably just some homeless guy *shoots the captain*

Fixed.

Yeah, I don't think anyone doesn't release the specimens, but I'm often surprised by the results. Turns out I'd forgotten to release the greasels, so after doing that I was treated to the sight of 2 weakened MIBs being hunted a raptor chicken.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Fixed.

Yeah, I don't think anyone doesn't release the specimens, but I'm often surprised by the results. Turns out I'd forgotten to release the greasels, so after doing that I was treated to the sight of 2 weakened MIBs being hunted a raptor chicken.

I generally don't release the grays because they're quite hard to lure out of their cage and they freak me out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wicker Man posted:

Do you ever get that explosive ammo type for yourself?

Yes. It's best as an anti-door ammo type that means you don't need the GEP gun.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Astroturf Man posted:

I generally don't release the grays because they're quite hard to lure out of their cage and they freak me out.

Holy poo poo the grays scare the crap out of me for some reason. At the end of the game after you see the cloning tanks you have to go through that gray holding cell...they loving rushed me while I was logged into the security console and I almost had a heart attack.

I hope everyone releases the giant karkians in MJ12 to clear a path for yourself. Then you use the turret to kill them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Stump Truck posted:

Holy poo poo the grays scare the crap out of me for some reason. At the end of the game after you see the cloning tanks you have to go through that gray holding cell...they loving rushed me while I was logged into the security console and I almost had a heart attack.

I hope everyone releases the giant karkians in MJ12 to clear a path for yourself. Then you use the turret to kill them

There seems to be a bug in the vanilla set up of this, if its the same place I'm thinking of: The two that are penned right in front of the medical lab.

If you release them from a hacked terminal, they will not turn hostile to the MJ12 guards, but hitting the cage release button would...or the other way around, I forgot which.