Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Fire In The Disco posted:

I use Sterilite bins for litter boxes, but they're open, not top/side entry. Cats generally have no problem jumping, so maybe consider a whole bin? I personally think covered boxes are too stinky for me, so I can't fathom how stinky they are for the cat. But that's my personal preference.

I may very well try this if I see one of the dimensions I like (in retrospect, the old sterilite was a tad small); if I want to cover it, jigsawing a hole in the lid should be a trivial matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly
Sorry to bother everyone with yet another cat pee problem!

We adopted Biscuit from a rescue in October and since then he's really warmed up to us considering his age. (7 years - was surrendered because the owner died) After getting him some extensive dental work he's plumped out and seems to be alright.

Except he pees. His new favorite place is all over my sister's room. I bought some nature's miracle as recommended and poured it all over her duvet just now. (There was fresh pee on her pillow and sheets) Apparently he's been peeing on the floor too...so how would I clean the hardwood?

Now, I am calling the vet first thing on Monday since what started as something random (would pee on any clothes or towels on the floor) is getting out of control.

One thing I worry about is: what if it is because of the other cats that he is doing this? We have 3 other cats that don't really get along with each other, or him. One cat, Clyde, wants to play play play all the time and Biscuit isn't digging it. So Biscuit is constantly being chased or wrestled with (and when this happens Biscuit makes the worst 'screams' in the world). Could he be being chased away from the litter box? Or is he marking his 'territory'? (All cats are fixed, but according to the vet Biscuit appears to be a late neuter since his head is big) Either way I hope to god the vet can determine what the deal is. But, if is because of Clyde, what do we do? Would medicine help chill out Biscuit so he wouldn't be upset? Or would it be one of those cases where he just can't get along with the other cats?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Parsnip posted:

Sorry to bother everyone with yet another cat pee problem!
The vet is the first step, for sure. It definitely sounds like he could be peeing due to stress, but first you need to rule out infections/crystals/etc. If it's stress, there are various kinds of kitty prozac that really help some cats.

It may not be that he's being chased out of the box, or that he's marking his territory. With some cats, if they're stressed, it can have an actual physiological effect on their bladder, which is uncomfortable, so they pee. It's a lot like interstitial cystitis in people -- in fact, some varieties of "kitty prozac" are used in people with intersitial cystitis.

You may also want to try Cat Attract litter. For three cats, you should ideally have at least 4 litter boxes. Until you get him to the vet, I would try keeping the door to your sister's room shut.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I walk in and see the end of a ribbon disappearing down Fry's throat. I tried to pull it out but he swallowed too quickly :argh: why do they do STUPID poo poo THAT'S BAD FOR THEM!? WHY ARE THEY SUCK ASSHOLES!? gently caress, I hope he passes it ok.

Edit: well he puked it up, so at least scrubbing the carpet is cheaper than going to the vet. STOOPID CAT

Abbeh fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 10, 2010

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

A public apology to Fidel Catstro: remember yesterday when I said he was pissing all over the floor since changing to a sterilite tub? Well last night, I cleaned everything up, Nature's-Miracle'd the poo poo out of everything, and put the old covered litterbox back in as a stopgap until I could buy a top-entry box.

I walk into my bathroom this morning and see a puddle on the floor; I get pissed off...then notice that the puddle is nowhere near the box, and is instead emanating from the bottom of my toilet, where apparently the wax seal has decided to stop working properly. So while he has pissed on the wall/floor, the vast majority of it was from a water leak.

tl,dr: I am an idiot :sweatdrop:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

A public apology to Fidel Catstro: remember yesterday when I said he was pissing all over the floor since changing to a sterilite tub? Well last night, I cleaned everything up, Nature's-Miracle'd the poo poo out of everything, and put the old covered litterbox back in as a stopgap until I could buy a top-entry box.

I walk into my bathroom this morning and see a puddle on the floor; I get pissed off...then notice that the puddle is nowhere near the box, and is instead emanating from the bottom of my toilet, where apparently the wax seal has decided to stop working properly. So while he has pissed on the wall/floor, the vast majority of it was from a water leak.

tl,dr: I am an idiot :sweatdrop:

But now your toilet's going to have to go to the vet instead. :v:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

But now your toilet's going to have to go to the vet instead. :v:

I was actually considering taking him just from the sheer volume of liquid. Even *I* don't piss that much in a day.

At least now I know why the whole mess was odor-free

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Can you put this stuff somewhere in the op? I see tons of posts recently about cats peeing where they shouldn't.

First off rule out any sort of medical problem. A cat pissing out of their box out of the blue and has never had a litter box issue previous is a sign of a problem. You need to take the cat to the vet and make sure it doesn't have a UTI or crystals among other things. Cats are not the brightest creatures so if they're in pain most of the time they think "Oh hey when I'm in this box it really hurts to pee. I'll go pee elsewhere."

Ruled out any sort of medical issue? Great! Now we're down to what are called behavioral urine issues. That means there is no underlying medical condition and the cat is doing it because that's how it thinks it should be doing things. To fix the problem you gotta train the cat to improve the cats behavior.

I am a loving pro at this poo poo, I've spent well over $3000 trying to fix this with my cat. After 4 or 5 years of cleaning up after her we finally figured a way to get her to use the box regularly:

1: Cat attract cat litter. This stuff is like crack that a cat must poo poo on. If you cannot afford the litter they sell an additive you can use with your regular litter as well. Please be aware that the problem could be the litter you're using so it's best to experiment with different kinds to see if you get better results. If you use clay try silica or paper or whatever tickles your fancy.

2: If you have 1 cat make sure you have 2 litter boxes. General rule is to have # of cats + 1 litter boxes in your house.

3: This stuff: plus a poo poo TON of paper towels.

4: Only put enough cat attract in a box so that it covers the bottom. Don't put any more than that, it should be a very thin coating of it. Every time your cat uses the box dump the entire litter out and then clean with the stuff from step 3. You will have to do this multiple times a day at first but eventually they aren't as persnickity about it.

5: Treats. I give my cat a greenie every time she uses the box right after she does and don't give her greenies for anything else. She's figured out that if she does it right she gets a delicious treat! And she's a whore about it too... she'll demand one when I wake up, clean the box, pee in it and get one, clean the box and THEN go poop. Yeah 3 treats in less than 10 minutes. loving whore.

6: Put your cat on a feeding schedule and you should be able to figure out when it has to go to the box. Mine usually goes once at around 8am for pee/poop, once in the afternoon, once before bed and once in the middle of the night. Usually you can tell when your cat is about to go be a bad cat. Mine would start to walk off in an area and if you checked out what she was up to she would dart away and be all OH gently caress I'M FOUND. When she started doing this I'd put her in her box and watch her until she went to the bathroom. When she did this she got a treat. It took a few weeks of forcing her into her box for her to get the picture but yeah.

Cats learn by positive reinforcement and a lot are extremely demanding about the cleanliness of their boxes. These steps should help fix the issue... my cat hasn't had an accident since December!

But flyboi what do I do about all these spots my cat was pissing/making GBS threads on previous?

Quit being such a slob and clean them up. Get an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle urine stain & odor removal and get to work. You must use an enzymatic cleaner with a cat because regular cleaners will leave traces behind and cats will think "Oh gosh this smells like a fabulous place to piss!"

If you let it go on for too long chances are your carpet is stained all the way through and you can't do poo poo about it. You have two choices:

1: Put a box right on top of the spot. That's right bitch. You want to piss there? Well you're pissing in this box.

2: Get new carpet.

But flyboi my cat is a horrible male cat spraying on things oh god what do I do?!

First off is the horrible cat neutered? If not you're retarded. Do that. I don't care about your reasoning about leaving an animal in tact if you're too dense to do this you deserve the annoyance.

Second, if the cat sprays the same spot you can do a number of things to deter it. My personal favorite is SSSCAT which is a hilarious product that sends out a shot of compressed air when the cat is close by. You can also wrap the area in tinfoil or double sided tape as cats hate the texture of these things. Another cheap method is to cut up an office mat used for desk chairs and set it upside-down so the spikes are exposed.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Done!

inky101
Nov 1, 2007

Sorry to post again but I have several problems with Abby (new cat, yay).

One is very painful. My cat keeps attacking me. Every day or so, she has a bout of CRAZY and quite viscously attacks me. :( She jumps on either my leg or arm, holds on with her claws, shreds me with her back ones and BITES.

And every time I push her off me, spray her with water or clap loudly in her ear, whatever I can think of to scare her off that works on a normal day - it doesn't work when she's like this, she just grabs another limb to attack. I'm sitting here bleeding and very frustrated at the moment.

Every time I think I've found the trigger to setting her off, she attacks me over something else. Today I wore fuzzy socks. She HATES fuzzy socks. Yesterday I used the phone with a cord. She HATES corded phones. I can't even wear stockings without fear any more. Most times, she's just attacking for no reason I can see... Is it me? :ohdear:

And what's next? I know clipping her claws would be a good idea but. She attacks over that, she's a bloody ninja where burrito-ing is concerned and the rest of my family's scared of her, woe.

My second problem! She climbs doorframes, I spray her if I see it but she does it where I can't see her as well so it's hard to reinforce. So I've sprayed all the frames with a cat-off thing but she loves them stuff. :downs: Help?

Last is a question! How many times a day should a cat be peeing? I think Abby's an overachiever in the litterbox.

OhgodI'mnotgoodatowninganutcasecat. And I feel like a failure. :cry:

E; And now she's lying down next to me licking my hand, oh cat. You are confusing!

inky101 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 13, 2010

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

inky101 posted:

OhgodI'mnotgoodatowninganutcasecat. And I feel like a failure. :cry:

E; And now she's lying down next to me licking my hand, oh cat. You are confusing!
I have good news and bad news

Good news is your kitten is acting completely normal.

The bad news is being an rear end in a top hat is normal.

You are seeing firsthand why we push people to get two kittens if they possibly can when they choose to get one. They pick on eachother instead of you. She'll grow out of it as she gets older though.

e: Oh yeah, Look into Sssscat to keep her off places you don't want her. Doorways might be tricky though.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 13, 2010

inky101
Nov 1, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

I have good news and bad news

Good news is your kitten is acting completely normal.

The bad news is being an rear end in a top hat is normal.

You are seeing firsthand why we push people to get two kittens if they possibly can when they choose to get one. They pick on eachother instead of you. She'll grow out of it as she gets older though.

e: Oh yeah, Look into Sssscat to keep her off places you don't want her. Doorways might be tricky though.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I wanted to get two but I wasn't allowed so one it was. She's actually four so I'm not sure how long until she calms down, maybe when she's used to me and the house? I'll be buying another cat when I do move though, unfortunately that may be in a few more years.

I'm slowly learning that my first cat who slept all the time and just wanted cuddles was the abnormal one. I guess it's like babies, first one sleeps through the night and is an angel so another should be fine, what's everyone talking about them being monsters! Then you get another and realise what they're really like.

Don't get me wrong though, I love having a cat, I think Abby's just going to be my rather steep learning curve to normal cats. :shobon:

And I'll look into that, it's hard finding what people recommend in the OP and elsewhere because I live in Australia and the products differ.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:

flyboi posted:

Can you put this stuff somewhere in the op? I see tons of posts recently about cats peeing where they shouldn't.

Thanks for this. I caught scaredy making GBS threads by the tv again, he apparently loves that spot. He is gonna stay in the bathroom til he learns to poo poo right. In the mean time, I laid down a poo poo ton of serran wrap and scrubbed up all the cat poo poo I could get. I'm gonna go try to find some natures miracle tomorrow for future accidents.

My house smells like poo poo and two kittens are starting to get on my nerves. Well, just the one that shits everywhere. I took them to the vet today, clean bill of health, too small to vaccinate or de-worm, the are both barely 1 pound each.

I might stick it out for a few more weeks and give them up to another family. These cats are really trying my patients. I significantly like one much much more than the other. I think that makes me a bad cat owner.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

second best sponge posted:

I might stick it out for a few more weeks and give them up to another family. These cats are really trying my patients. I significantly like one much much more than the other. I think that makes me a bad cat owner.

:wtf: Seriously? Your kitten is making GBS threads everywhere because it's an INFANT and it doesn't know how to use the litterbox. Kittens that small shouldn't have the run of the house yet.

Yeah, you are a bad cat owner if you take in orphaned kittens and don't even give them time to adjust and learn what they need to know. If you dump them, you are a complete rear end.

You have to have patience with any new cat, let alone two baby kittens. The fact that they are too small to de worm is a factor too, that could be part of why the making GBS threads is hard to control.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

second best sponge posted:

A lot of these problems are from them being too young. Litter box issues are way more likely in 5 week old kittens because they just don't know what the gently caress. Also with kittens separated that early your most likely looking at some parasites because of not having been dewormed yet. Personally I won't ever put myself through dealing with a kitten or puppy again because I recognize I'm not really patient, getting an animal too young to be apart from it's mom just adds to the clusterfuck. The good news is they grow up.

monsterbunny
Feb 2, 2007
Meet the Terrible Chews.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

They may look sweet and innocent, but these two are about 9 months old and love things to chew. I spoil them incessantly with all sorts of toys (the Bergen Turbo Scratcher, Peek a Prize, catnip filled ones, balls, laser pointers, stuffed mice you name it) but the thing they love to do most is chew on cardboard, pieces of paper and cords. While I don't mind cleaning up bits of paper, the little jerks managed to decimate 2 cellphone charger cords, a headset cord, and multiple venetian blind cords no matter my efforts to keep them from it (I've got it under control now and thankfully they don't chew on any other power cords).

They've got plenty of dry food during the day so I what I'm looking for are recommendations for safe chewable things to occupy them when I'm not around to play with them. Would cat grass be suitable for kittens under 1 year? They go apeshit over toys like this http://www.petco.com/product/111921/Our-Pet-s-Play-N-Squeak-Wee-Catch-of-the-Day-Kitten-Toy.aspx?CoreCat=CatSFC_Toys but I get terrified that they'll eat the elastic string if left unattended for too long.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

inky101 posted:

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I wanted to get two but I wasn't allowed so one it was. She's actually four so I'm not sure how long until she calms down, maybe when she's used to me and the house? I'll be buying another cat when I do move though, unfortunately that may be in a few more years.

I'm slowly learning that my first cat who slept all the time and just wanted cuddles was the abnormal one. I guess it's like babies, first one sleeps through the night and is an angel so another should be fine, what's everyone talking about them being monsters! Then you get another and realise what they're really like.

Don't get me wrong though, I love having a cat, I think Abby's just going to be my rather steep learning curve to normal cats. :shobon:

And I'll look into that, it's hard finding what people recommend in the OP and elsewhere because I live in Australia and the products differ.

One of my cats loves to clime doorways, so what we do is stack some small boxes by the doors that we don't close, enough to deter her from jumping up, and we keep the other doors closed all the time.

Has the aggression problem always been a problem with Abby? She may have never learned proper cat manners. When she bites/hurts you, you can try screaming/yelping really loudly and refuse to play with her. You can then redirect her to appropriate toys.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

inky101 posted:

drat 4 years old? I was under the assumption that was around or under a year from the level of jerk. Nonanone hit it in the head though. I'd pick up some dangly cat toys (one called Da Bird is pretty recommended and can be found online) and maybe even a laser pointer. Then maybe you can burn her out from play so she's content to not attack you all day. I'd try getting some bitter apple spray for phone cord for her own safety too.

guarded by bees
Apr 26, 2010

guarded by bees fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 1, 2017

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I think those are awesome socks. Cats are really hard to train, unless it's something you don't want them to do, in which case you only have to give in once. Stop feeding them when you wake up. Don't ever give in. Don't feed them when they are screaming at you at all. move their feeding times so you are feeding them as close to when you go to bed and as late when you get up as possible. Don't let them see you put the food out if they won't let you be in the kitchen, you can try an auto feeder or just put them in another room then put the food down and then let them out. It will take a lot of time and patience! My cat licks the wall next to my face and digs her way into the blanket also, she is pretty firm about when I should get up! A lot of PI goons have been through this so they might have better strategies.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Feed them before you go to bed?

guarded by bees
Apr 26, 2010
^^

We do, immediately before we go to bed we give them their food. We give them a larger amount before we go to bed than we do during the rest of the day, and it does nothing.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I only give mine their food at night. They're not huge animals, they don't need huge amounts of food. Just feed them once a day maybe?

guarded by bees
Apr 26, 2010
They get 1/2c-3/4c per cat (depending on weight, from what the vet suggests), per day, spread out in three feedings.

An autofeeder is a really good idea, I hadn't thought of that and Ill see if I can get my boyfriend on-board with that. Same with feeding them once a day.

Usually what I do is feed them around 11am (hours after I wake up, to keep them from making the association), again at 7-8pm before we eat dinner, and finally 12am-ish before we go to bed.

A concern of mine is competitive eating. We have one cat who is a planet, and she'l eat until she throws up if given the chance. We feed them in separate bowls, and she's fed in another room, but I worry that if I feed them once per day she'll get fatter? Or is that ridiculous?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
What are you feeding them?

guarded by bees
Apr 26, 2010
I feed them "by Nature organics" dry food. http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/adultcat.php

If there's something out there that would be better, I can switch. I put them on this food a few months ago after the vet suggested it with several other brands.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
When our cats used to bother us at night/morning we would use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/MerchSource-LLC-2992-AirZooka-Air/dp/B00009B1SG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1273881248&sr=8-1

Our cats hated the noise ferociously, even worse if they got hit by the ball of air.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

guarded by bees posted:

I feed them "by Nature organics" dry food. http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/adultcat.php

If there's something out there that would be better, I can switch. I put them on this food a few months ago after the vet suggested it with several other brands.

This is what I do for my buttholes: ssscat next to the door at night (used to use the vacuum plug-in method, but then they got desensitized), and I feed them at night. Now, no bothersome kitties, and they only polite remind me by yowling if I haven't fed them by midnight.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We've got a pair of brothers that're about a year and a half old now, and I have a question regarding one:

Today the bigger of the two has been using the litter box very frequently. Yesterday he wasn't doing anything out of the norm, this morning is was fine and slept on the couch for a few hours before getting up, but when he did I noticed he started using the litter box every half hour or so. It's now 9pm, and he keeps getting up, trying(Looks like he's trying to poop, but nothing's coming) to use the litter box, and then going back into the living room to lay down before trying again in ten minutes or so.

I'm thinking he's just constipated, as I've checked him out and he doesn't seem to be tender or sore anywhere. Should I just wait a day or so to see how he is, maybe buying him some canned pumpkin to help out, or should I be more worried?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

bango skank posted:

We've got a pair of brothers that're about a year and a half old now, and I have a question regarding one:

Today the bigger of the two has been using the litter box very frequently. Yesterday he wasn't doing anything out of the norm, this morning is was fine and slept on the couch for a few hours before getting up, but when he did I noticed he started using the litter box every half hour or so. It's now 9pm, and he keeps getting up, trying(Looks like he's trying to poop, but nothing's coming) to use the litter box, and then going back into the living room to lay down before trying again in ten minutes or so.

I'm thinking he's just constipated, as I've checked him out and he doesn't seem to be tender or sore anywhere. Should I just wait a day or so to see how he is, maybe buying him some canned pumpkin to help out, or should I be more worried?
He needs to go to the vet ASAP. Squatting without producing anything is what cats do when their urethras are blocked, which is really common in male cats. Blockages can kill a cat within about 24 hours in some cases, so this is considered an emergency. As you can imagine, it's terribly uncomfortable and becomes pretty excruciating as the cat's bladder fills up. Get him to the vet and let us know what happens. :ohdear:

Edit: How did PI fail to reply to this post for 8 hours? :argh:

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 15, 2010

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
This thread is fantastic. :) My awesome cat Cheetah thanks you for all the great information.

Here are the stats: Cheetah is almost 7 years old. He came to us from a friend who had multiple cats. My fiance and I took him about 9 months ago because the other cats bullied him(wouldn't let him in to the food bowl, batting him around), and we all thought that he might be happier in a single-pet household. He also demands a lot of attention that they didn't have time to give him(more on that later). He is neutered, last saw the vet about a year ago. We recently switched him to new food(from store brand to Innova), and he hasn't had any problems so far, but we're still weaning off of the old stuff.

Regarding toys; he has no interest in anything other than strings or hair ties. :( He absolutely loves these, but I now realize that these aren't good toys. So I bought a bunch of new ones - and he wants nothing to do with them. If I try to entice him with one of the new, he just gives me a look that says "where's the string?" I even tried attaching toys TO the string - same look. I've never seen him try to actually eat the string(he will chew it on occasion), but now I'm worried. I've tried catnip filled toys - he ignores them.

The laser pointer worked for a bit, but now he knows where the light is coming from, and will just stare at the pointer itself after a minute or two.

Any suggestions?

2nd question: after reading a good amount of this thread, I've been wondering if we should get another cat. As I said, he demands a lot of attention - He follows my fiance and I from room to room, constantly wants to be on our laps, nuzzling our faces - he is my cuddle bunny. Before it was fine, but I recently went to thirds at work, my fiance is still working days, and Cheetah is alone more often. I've noticed he's starting meowing a lot since this change, and(if possible) become MORE clingy. I think he's lonely. But considering his problems before, is another cat really such a good idea? Any help would be appreciated - I want my boy to be happy.

Thanks!

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Crooked Booty posted:

He needs to go to the vet ASAP. Squatting without producing anything is what cats do when their urethras are blocked, which is really common in male cats. Blockages can kill a cat within about 24 hours in some cases, so this is considered an emergency. As you can imagine, it's terribly uncomfortable and becomes pretty excruciating as the cat's bladder fills up. Get him to the vet and let us know what happens. :ohdear:

Edit: How did PI fail to reply to this post for 8 hours? :argh:

:negative:

Maybe he has pms...

edit: no :cry:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

pixie delights posted:

This thread is fantastic. :) My awesome cat Cheetah thanks you for all the great information.

Here are the stats: Cheetah is almost 7 years old. He came to us from a friend who had multiple cats. My fiance and I took him about 9 months ago because the other cats bullied him(wouldn't let him in to the food bowl, batting him around), and we all thought that he might be happier in a single-pet household. He also demands a lot of attention that they didn't have time to give him(more on that later). He is neutered, last saw the vet about a year ago. We recently switched him to new food(from store brand to Innova), and he hasn't had any problems so far, but we're still weaning off of the old stuff.

Regarding toys; he has no interest in anything other than strings or hair ties. :( He absolutely loves these, but I now realize that these aren't good toys. So I bought a bunch of new ones - and he wants nothing to do with them. If I try to entice him with one of the new, he just gives me a look that says "where's the string?" I even tried attaching toys TO the string - same look. I've never seen him try to actually eat the string(he will chew it on occasion), but now I'm worried. I've tried catnip filled toys - he ignores them.

The laser pointer worked for a bit, but now he knows where the light is coming from, and will just stare at the pointer itself after a minute or two.

Any suggestions?

2nd question: after reading a good amount of this thread, I've been wondering if we should get another cat. As I said, he demands a lot of attention - He follows my fiance and I from room to room, constantly wants to be on our laps, nuzzling our faces - he is my cuddle bunny. Before it was fine, but I recently went to thirds at work, my fiance is still working days, and Cheetah is alone more often. I've noticed he's starting meowing a lot since this change, and(if possible) become MORE clingy. I think he's lonely. But considering his problems before, is another cat really such a good idea? Any help would be appreciated - I want my boy to be happy.

Thanks!

Hey did anyone try emailing bango? I hope his cat is OK. :ohdear:

Anyway, from the sounds of it, I'm not sure how much your cat was "bullied" at the old place. Firstly, not even the best buddies of cats can really share a food bowl. Secondly, if they were just batting at him rather than hissing and getting all scary then they were probably just trying to play. Real bullying amongst cats is usually much meaner and scarier. Not to say that he was happy with those particular cats but it doesn't sound like things were particularly bad between them, he was probably just towards the bottom of the pecking order.

Anyhoo, I think a buddy might help as long as the cats are a good match. Some cats seem to just get along pretty well with pretty much any other cat or dog or person. If you work with a good rescue organization/shelter they should be able to help you pick out the right cat. Also make sure you introduce them correctly as given in the OP. It might seem like a big step to get another cat but 2 cats is really about the same amount of work as 1. Plus cuddle piles and wrestling matches are super entertaining.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

HondaCivet posted:

Hey did anyone try emailing bango? I hope his cat is OK. :ohdear:

I tried, no go.

:unsmith:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I'm taking him to the emergency vet once my ride gets here. $70 just for the exam, then a quote for whatever they decide needs to be done. Let's hope it's not more than $130, cause after the exam fee that's all I've got for the next two weeks. :ohdear:

e:Thanks for the responses,too.

This isn't even my cat. :argh:

bango skank fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 15, 2010

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Any suggestions for getting your rear end in a top hat cat to STOP CLAWING THE loving CARPET? I bought a sisal mat that he likes to use, and has been for the last several weeks, and I've never seen him clawing the carpet since I got it. But the last two or three days he's started up again. I've trimmed his claws to see if that helps, but loving cat.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Panthrax posted:

Any suggestions for getting your rear end in a top hat cat to STOP CLAWING THE loving CARPET? I bought a sisal mat that he likes to use, and has been for the last several weeks, and I've never seen him clawing the carpet since I got it. But the last two or three days he's started up again. I've trimmed his claws to see if that helps, but loving cat.

Does he have any places that he is allowed to scratch? Cat trees with good sissal scratching posts work, or for a low budget option there are horizontal scratching posts like this. They also make them with replaceable cardboard inserts. If your kitty doesn't seem interested in it at first, you can try rubbing some catnip on it.

If that doesn't work, you can always try SoftPaws, plastic claw caps that prevent your cat from scratching things up. :)

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
I've got a carpet/sisal rope post, and a sisal mat. He used to use the mat all the time up until a couple days ago. And he hates getting the soft paws on. I spent probably 2 hours one night trying to pin him down, only to get 3 on. They've since fallen off.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Home from the e.vet, they said he's got an abundance of struvite crystals in his urine and he's probably got a completely blocked urethra. They said they had 5 different technicians try to get a catheter in but couldn't(they were guessing his urethra's blocked by crystals?) Because of that they said he's probably going to need a "perineal urethrostomy" and the quote we got for that(on a loving saturday) was $4700. We can't afford that and we really don't want to put him down so we're taking him in every 8 hours or so to get his bladder drained via a needle through his abdomen( :( ) until Monday morning when we can get a price we can manage for the procedure.

Poor Puck. :(

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

bango skank posted:

Home from the e.vet, they said he's got an abundance of struvite crystals in his urine and he's probably got a completely blocked urethra. They said they had 5 different technicians try to get a catheter in but couldn't(they were guessing his urethra's blocked by crystals?) Because of that they said he's probably going to need a "perineal urethrostomy" and the quote we got for that(on a loving saturday) was $4700. We can't afford that and we really don't want to put him down so we're taking him in every 8 hours or so to get his bladder drained via a needle through his abdomen( :( ) until Monday morning when we can get a price we can manage for the procedure.

Poor Puck. :(

:(

Did they send you home with some pain medicine for him?

If you can get him through to Monday a non-emergency vet should charge less. Try calling around and try to find a cat only vet. I'm sure you know, but keep a super close eye on him. He's probably in a lot of pain.

Edit for some truthiness: If you can't afford the surgery somewhere Monday, please reconsider putting him down, the pain is terrible for kitties with this problem. :ohdear: Perhaps you can apply for care credit (carecredit.com), it's a credit card accepted at many many vets.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 16, 2010