Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ketchup Red

because Iyanden Darksun is the color of spicy mustard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's yellow, isn't it, so some kind of purple. Maybe a pale purple.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

enri posted:

for some reason I read this as "...and you can lick it"

not entirely sure why

I saw a tube of that way way waaaay back when my dad used to model airfix kits (probably the sole reason I've got such a hard on for modelling and whatnot, old chip off the block or something.. or it might have been the fumes from the enamels drawing me in, who knows) and I always figured it was the consistency of toothpaste, given that it was in a similar tube. Always meant to pick up a tube to try out but never got around to it.

(on a side note, my dad gave up painting donkeys years ago but now he's gotten the bug again and is painting crazy nazi boats or something)

Funny you say, I picked a tube up today. Will report back.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Aetilus posted:

in color theory, what color would have the best contrast with iyanden darksun?

red, purple, blue, turquoise, green? I'm stumped.

Color theory says purple, but really any cool color would work.

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!

Aetilus posted:

in color theory, what color would have the best contrast with iyanden darksun?

red, purple, blue, turquoise, green? I'm stumped.

Technically blue.

Or purple. Whatever.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
For picking contrasting colors, think about what would be the most opposite. For primary colors (RYB), it'd be the combination of the other two primaries. For secondary colors (GPO), it'd be the primary color not used to construct that color.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Straight across is considered complimentary, which in theory is the most contrast. Contrast is also created with value shifts though, so sometimes a dark cool + a light warm (or vice versa) is more striking than complimentary of similar values, which tend to make the eye jump back and forth and look "busy"

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Since my bane knights/thralls major colors are bone yellow and gold, I guess I'll make their robes purple to contrast? I think it might look alright.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Or a really dark blue. Necron abyss dark. The intensity of the colour difference should make everything pop. Its the reason why my crimson fists are on snow bases; not because im lazy, I swear!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Plotterboy posted:

Or a really dark blue. Necron abyss dark. The intensity of the colour difference should make everything pop. Its the reason why my crimson fists are on snow bases; not because im lazy, I swear!

Pretty much what I was thinking. The only other part I'm iffy on now is what color to paint their skulls since so much of my scheme is already bone. I'm thinking painting them white and washing them with green and calling it good after a few highlights.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

crime fighting hog posted:

Pretty much what I was thinking. The only other part I'm iffy on now is what color to paint their skulls since so much of my scheme is already bone. I'm thinking painting them white and washing them with green and calling it good after a few highlights.

Maybe a Green-Gray?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

No Pun Intended posted:

Maybe a Green-Gray?

I decided a gold skull on this one. I'll post pics once he's done and if it sucks that bad I'll go back over with green

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Smashy Smashy!

With a heretic hating power hammer! :black101:

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Tony Stark was able to build this IN A CAVE! With a BOX OF SCRAPS!!

New sculpts from knights models.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

I ordered Jeremiah Crowe (Smog 1888) from maelstrom and it is now the weekend so I've had a chance to start getting him cleaned and assembled.

Here are some post wash, pre-clean up pics / a chance to show off the kit

Click here for the full 1280x1014 image.

Click here for the full 1310x777 image.

Overall it is really nicely made, the resin has some minor bubbles. There are some crazy thin parts too.

My only major complaint so far is that huge spout you see on the collar, broke out the back when I tried to remove it and it needed to be glued back on.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 15, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

No Pun Intended posted:

I ordered Jeremiah Crowe (Smog 1888) from maelstrom and it is now the weekend so I've had a chance to start getting him cleaned and assembled.

Overall it is really nicely made, the resin has some minor bubbles. There are some crazy thin parts too.

My only major complaint so far is that huge spout you see on the collar, broke out the back when I tried to remove it and it needed to be glued back on.

I have never seen a Forgeworld model straight out of the bag in as good condition as those seem to be. Every single loving piece has bubbles and malformations. Forgeworld is a terrible company owned and run by terrible people.

Bullet Proof posted:

:flashfap:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

It isn't perfect, there are some bubbles to fill and the residual of the spout on the neck took me ages to remove. Turns out what I thought was molded detail on the base of the neck was actually extra resin so I had to sand that back to get the head to fit.

I can't speak for Forgeworld's quality as the only product I have got for them is my Mega Dredd and apart from what you'd expect from the casting process there isn't anything majorly defective.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

No Pun Intended posted:

It isn't perfect, there are some bubbles to fill and the residual of the spout on the neck took me ages to remove. Turns out what I thought was molded detail on the base of the neck was actually extra resin so I had to sand that back to get the head to fit.

I can't speak for Forgeworld's quality as the only product I have got for them is my Mega Dredd and apart from what you'd expect from the casting process there isn't anything majorly defective.

either you've been extraordinarily lucky or I've been unfathomably unlucky then

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Captain Invictus posted:

I think you've been unlucky, I've assembled a ven dread, about 6 sets of arms and the nob bikers and only ever seen one casting defect.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Captain Invictus posted:

You are just unlucky. I've ordered tons of FW kits and the only issue I ever had was once a minor detail chipped off of a turret in shipping.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bullet Proof posted:

Is it just me or does this just not look chunky enough?

Cool, but a bit anorexic.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Help Airbrush Please!

I've read the post linked in the OP. Got a proper compressor, an airbrush (dual action gravity fed) and a respirator. Today was my first time using the thing.

First, I tried thinning my paint (GW dark angels green) with water. Sprayed it on a Sentinal primed black. Was doing quite okay, except that due to it being water, didn't dry that quick/well between coats.

So I decided to try another solvent which was what I had close by, a "Mr Color Thinner". This kinda caused my paint to, for lack of a better word, gunk up and coagulate.

Was this because:
A) Wrong thinner
or
B) Thinner + water + paint = bad news. I tipped away all the previous paint I was using, but didn't dry out the paint cup properly so is that the cause?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

floatman posted:

Help Airbrush Please!

I've read the post linked in the OP. Got a proper compressor, an airbrush (dual action gravity fed) and a respirator. Today was my first time using the thing.

First, I tried thinning my paint (GW dark angels green) with water. Sprayed it on a Sentinal primed black. Was doing quite okay, except that due to it being water, didn't dry that quick/well between coats.

So I decided to try another solvent which was what I had close by, a "Mr Color Thinner". This kinda caused my paint to, for lack of a better word, gunk up and coagulate.

Was this because:
A) Wrong thinner
or
B) Thinner + water + paint = bad news. I tipped away all the previous paint I was using, but didn't dry out the paint cup properly so is that the cause?

1. 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, buy it at Wal-Mart for like $2 for a big bottle.
2. Windex
3. Tamiya Acrylic Thinner

Pick one of these and mix it with your paint somewhere between 60:40 to 40:60 paint to solution before you run it through your brush. Don't do what you did.

Edit: Oh I hope that crap didn't dry yet because you better clean it good. Airbrushes need to be cleaned extremely well between uses, I mean like not a speck of paint anywhere inside the guts or nozzle of the brush. Make sure you use a good solvent to get all that crap out, use rubbing alcohol, acetone, or windex. Clean it good!

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks guv.

I guess I was lucky because before I used the airbrush, I practiced dismantling it and reassembling it so that if/when it did jam up I could immediately rectify the problem.

As I live in bizzaro-land where there is no "Wal-mart" and "Windex" I will be picking up a bottle of Tamiya Acrylic Thinner, which I can get at my neighborhood stores.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

floatman posted:

Thanks guv.

I guess I was lucky because before I used the airbrush, I practiced dismantling it and reassembling it so that if/when it did jam up I could immediately rectify the problem.

As I live in bizzaro-land where there is no "Wal-mart" and "Windex" I will be picking up a bottle of Tamiya Acrylic Thinner, which I can get at my neighborhood stores.

I use all three, but just get rubbing alcohol from a drugstore or grocery store.

How to clean your airbrush:

I have a siphon-fed airbrush, it is really nice but a gravity-fed brush that just has like a cup molded into the front of the brush is way better for miniatures. One of the few benefits of my brush is that it's way easier to clean. I just:

1. Pop off the cup or pot of paint from the bottom of my brush.
2. Stick the front of the brush (including the hole where the cup normally pops in, but not including the trigger) in a bowl of clean water.
3. Pull the trigger for a while.

What's nice is I can do this whenever I want in the middle of painting if I feel like the paint is starting to dry, which is approx. every 10 seconds for citadel acrylics. When I'm done I just add step 4: I have a squeeze bottle of watered-down windex that I shoot into the intake hole while I'm spraying until the thing is clean, and then I do the same with clean water. Oh and don't forget to definitely wear a mask, and probably safety goggles or glasses. Unless you like inhaling these things.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cakefool posted:

Cool, but a bit anorexic.

That's what overexposure to GW gets you. It's well proportioned, maybe a little too broad shouldered.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It sounds like you used some sort of solvent based thinner with acrylic, which is probably why it reacted weirdly...maybe?

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

No Pun Intended posted:

What up Smog buddy. I just got Professor Sawbone from Maelstrom. I've though about picking one of these models up in the past, but the cost always made me back away. Then Maelstrom game me like $8.00 for no reason, so I decided to jump in.

The model is super clean, great details. Only one small break. First resin model, I like what I see. Its probably a good thing they are expensive, or I'd end up buying them all.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

floatman posted:

"Mr Color Thinner"

Wrong thinner. Mr. Color Thinner is, as PV said, a solvent based thinner. Strips water-based acrylic paints, which is why it gunked up on you--it's used to thin pretty much only Gunze Sangyo brand paints.

As suggested before:
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

If, for whatever reason, you can't get that at a drug store, I'm sure you can get Skol. It's a cheap-rear end vodka. Works pretty much the same way. I wouldn't suggest drinking it though: that stuff is complete and utter poo poo.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I think Tamiya acrylic thinner is meant only to be used with Tamiya brand paints (it says so on the bottle) so I'd try it out before putting it through your airbrush.

I would probably go with the Isopropyl as it will be cheaper in the long run.

Bachtere posted:

What up Smog buddy. I just got Professor Sawbone from Maelstrom. I've though about picking one of these models up in the past, but the cost always made me back away. Then Maelstrom game me like $8.00 for no reason, so I decided to jump in.

The model is super clean, great details. Only one small break. First resin model, I like what I see. Its probably a good thing they are expensive, or I'd end up buying them all.

I signed up to maelstrom to get him about a week before they gave everyone a free 5 quid. Clever bastards since I am now going to get another Smog mini, probably Kain Finger. I am with you, price is probably the only thing stopping me buying them all (It will just take a while).

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Tau drone grown up

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Got a bottle of slow-dri blending medium. What's the paint/medium ratio I'm looking for? I want to try my hand at wet blending on this trygon on my desk.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Tau drone grown up

Oh man that is sexy - where is it from? The only thing I'd change is it has got a bad case of Tau-legs.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 16, 2010

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

Got a bottle of slow-dri blending medium. What's the paint/medium ratio I'm looking for? I want to try my hand at wet blending on this trygon on my desk.

Super slow dry: 1/1/8 water/flow-aid/slow-dri.
Slow and smooth: 1/1/2 flow-aid/slow-dri/water

Flow-aid, if you don't have any, is really bad rear end. Works better (a lot better) than plain old water to thin paints by evenly distributing the pigment.

The first one will cause paint to last a ton longer, thickening before drying.
The second one is pretty much a standard replacement for water as far as thinning paints go. By replacement I mean "you'll never use plain water for thinning paints ever again, and carry a bottle of this poo poo where ever you go just in case you want to paint." 100% serious.

EDIT: Go buy Flow-Aid. It's made by Liquitex as well. Not kidding. Do it now.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 16, 2010

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

No Pun Intended posted:

Oh man that is sexy - where is it from? The only thing I'd change is it has got a bad case of Tau-legs.

That is from Mauser Earth, from the same folks who do the Smog minis. Only 6 figures in this range, set in a steam punk-ish WW2.

Almost bought the first one instead of Sawbone:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

You have good taste Bachtere, I also want the first guy (and now that droid).

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Bachtere posted:

Now, if the word "Tojo" could be described in one photo, it would be this one.

And before anyone gets uppity, I mean the Allied propaganda depiction of the Japanese.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Love dat kraut w lazer thingy and alien fist

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Love dat kraut w lazer thingy and alien fist

I want to gently caress a chick in a nazi uniform.

E: I will be winston churchill.

Better yet, patton...

Better yet gently caress her in the rear end and I will be Stalin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

EDIT: Go buy Flow-Aid. It's made by Liquitex as well. Not kidding. Do it now.

what the hell kind of scrub do you think I am sushi. (i bought a bottle a couple months ago and oh my god it's amazing stuff)

• Locked thread