Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The grass isn't always so green on the other side? Why'd you switch from inf in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, I labelled each and every item of my kit already under the advice of my MCpl. Anything I should be looking at doing in the month before? Apart from making sure I have all my poo poo stowed in duffel bags that are readily identifiable, and making sure all of the poo poo I'm supposed to have by the kit list is there, of course.

Stop worrying so much, its just loving basic.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Simkin posted:

The grass isn't always so green on the other side? Why'd you switch from inf in the first place?

I had a list of reasons, none of which make sense to me anymore.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Fraser CDN posted:

We had a dyslexic person who is now artillery:ohdear:. I also had a person that failed the topo test 3 times and is Arty.:ughh:

Have I ever said how much I love the artillery? We have the most switched on, awesome soldiers, average 4% body fat. I LOVE THE ARTILLERY

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
Feel bad for those reserve arty guys who are from like, Red Deer or something who's only options are arty... or sigs. Talk about no win situation.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

arty = artillery?
sigs = ???

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Mantle posted:

arty = artillery?
sigs = ???

Signals. AKA Communications.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Here is an idea of why Arty is pretty bad.

I was recently in California on vacation. I was down in San Diego, ran into some Marines, one of which happened to be artillery.

The guns currently in use by CF reservists? Yeah, retired as DRILL guns by the Marines as they were too drat old. That is the CF.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Here is an idea of why Arty is pretty bad.

I was recently in California on vacation. I was down in San Diego, ran into some Marines, one of which happened to be artillery.

The guns currently in use by CF reservists? Yeah, retired as DRILL guns by the Marines as they were too drat old. That is the CF.

I feel ashamed. Thats bad if the Marines retired it.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
Doubtful the reserves will even see the M-777 ever either. Man, arty reserve sounds like the best go ever.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

So I've decided I want to apply for the reserves, and briefly talked to a recruiter for a nearby infantry regiment (Royal Westminster Regiment) to set up an appointment to come down and talk next week.

I've done a bunch of research into the CF and reserves in general but I'm trying to figure out what questions I need to ask about the regiment specifically, is there anything that I should find out about them before applying?

Lemons fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 16, 2010

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Flanker posted:

Man, I traded a trench for a desk, and I loving hate it.

when I get back to my unit I want PLQ and/or HUMINT and/or interrogator, or else I'll go back into the infantry, at any cost. I might even release and rejoin when they re-open infantry. gently caress this remf horseshit.

You're such a weiner.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lt. Jebus posted:

Signals. AKA Communications.

4/20 sigop every day.

Yep. Signals Operator was on the top of my list.

Wooo.

Edit; just to clear up, I'm not in yet. Recruitment papers are in, now it's time to harass the recuiter.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Lemons posted:

So I've decided I want to apply for the reserves, and briefly talked to a recruiter for a nearby infantry regiment (Royal Westminster Regiment) to set up an appointment to come down and talk next week.

I've done a bunch of research into the CF and reserves in general but I'm trying to figure out what questions I need to ask about the regiment specifically, is there anything that I should find out about them before applying?

Find out what their head dress is, because some reserve regiment hats are stupid looking as gently caress.

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Lassitude posted:

Find out what their head dress is, because some reserve regiment hats are stupid looking as gently caress.

Had a Sergeant on my reserve BMQ/SQ from the Calgary Highlanders. Apparently they wear loving goofy-looking hats with a pompom on them. On the other hand, he carried giant rocks on his shoulders for fun and was boning one of the Mcpls, so we didn't hold it against him.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Sweet, I emailed my course officer to let him know that some of the RMC guys going into his platoon wouldn't have some kit because the base supply here barely even gives us socks. His response "well you should go buy some socks". I suppose using analogies is beyond his comprehension. It was seriously the most passive aggressive email I've ever gotten. I mean jesus. I'm trying to get him a heads up so he knows we have kit deficiencies going into course and we can't rectify it. He then proceeds to poo poo down my neck for it. I learned my lesson. Never let anyone know anything ahead of time. gently caress

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

DrakeriderCa posted:

You're such a weiner.

Yes. In your mouth.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Flanker posted:

Yes. In your mouth.

You miss me so much. I can tell.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fire Above posted:

Doubtful the reserves will even see the M-777 ever either. Man, arty reserve sounds like the best go ever.

Hahahahahaha

Oh god I'm dying over here. The reserves with front-line equipment, that'll be the loving day.

My regiment had to fight tooth and nail to keep our guns in the early 2000s, as a whole lot of reservist regements were getting re-equipped with Mortars. Which are stupid, useless things no matter what anyone tells you.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

MA-Horus posted:

Hahahahahaha

Oh god I'm dying over here. The reserves with front-line equipment, that'll be the loving day.

My regiment had to fight tooth and nail to keep our guns in the early 2000s, as a whole lot of reservist regements were getting re-equipped with Mortars. Which are stupid, useless things no matter what anyone tells you.

That's cool, just give them back to the infantry. They'll be happy to take them

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/05/18/a-soldiers-choice/

Anybody else read this? An infantry Captain is being tried for second degree murder after allegedly mercy killing a dying Taliban while out mentoring some ANA soldiers. He faces a minimum of life in jail with possibility of parole after 10.

It seems pretty clear that he did it, and it is a violation of the Geneva convention, but I can't honestly say I wouldn't have done the same thing in his position. The ANA were going to leave this guy behind instead of trying to administer aid, and the Canadians couldn't stop to medevac the dying man so the Captains options seemed to be leave the poor guy to suffer or put him out of his misery.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
gently caress. Certainly one of those things that no amount of training can ever adequately prepare you for. :/

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Yeah, that's always perplexed me. Like any law it's full of contradictions I guess.

(Do I get to hang out with you guys? Should I move back home I'll probably join up there, currently ADF)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/05/18/a-soldiers-choice/

Anybody else read this? An infantry Captain is being tried for second degree murder after allegedly mercy killing a dying Taliban while out mentoring some ANA soldiers. He faces a minimum of life in jail with possibility of parole after 10.

It seems pretty clear that he did it, and it is a violation of the Geneva convention, but I can't honestly say I wouldn't have done the same thing in his position. The ANA were going to leave this guy behind instead of trying to administer aid, and the Canadians couldn't stop to medevac the dying man so the Captains options seemed to be leave the poor guy to suffer or put him out of his misery.

The Geneva convention doesn't really apply. It only applies in cases of declared war, as per the 1949 articles. If I were a prosecutor, basically the argument is this;

Taliban or not, that captain still killed a badly injured man. While that man was holding a weapon and firing, he was a combatant, and the Captain's job was to neutralize him. With the ability to defend himself removed, it becomes murder. Mercy killing is not excusable.

Not to say I wouldn't do it myself.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

That isn't going to end well for him. In a society where we refuse to even allow terminally ill people to die painlessly and at a time of their choosing, you can't expect people to be sympathetic toward putting a bullet in a wounded Taliban guy. Can't say what I'd have done in his place, and it sucks that this is going to end his career, but he should have seen this coming.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I've been reading that Canadians can serve in the armed forces of any Commonwealth country. If my goal is to travel the world while I'm young, is this a good way to do it? Is it easier to serve in a foreign armed forces if I am coming from the CF? If it is, as I suspect, how would the CF take knowing that I would want to leave ASAP to join another armed forces?

Finally, are certain professions within the army more difficult to transfer to a foreign armed forces? I ask because I would be joining the CF as a legal officer and law and legal procedure is quite jurisdiction specific (at least on the civilian side, no idea about the military side). I'd like to hear from anyone who has done it either going away or coming over to the CF from somewhere else.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mantle posted:

I've been reading that Canadians can serve in the armed forces of any Commonwealth country.

Bullllllshit. The only way a Canadian could serve PRIMARILY in the armed forces of another nation is through dual citizenship. Officer/NCO exchanges do happen, as I've met Royal Artillery NCOs serving in Canadian units.

The Commonwealth doesn't mean as much as it used to.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Bullllllshit. The only way a Canadian could serve PRIMARILY in the armed forces of another nation is through dual citizenship. Officer/NCO exchanges do happen, as I've met Royal Artillery NCOs serving in Canadian units.

The Commonwealth doesn't mean as much as it used to.
Canadian/British/Australian citizenship :c00l:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

rossmum posted:

Canadian/British/Australian citizenship :c00l:

You have triple citizenship? That's peculiar.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I think so anyway. I have at least double for sure - Canadian (by birth) and Australian (by descent). I could be wrong about British but for some reason I seem to recall picking it up while my family lived there

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Navy NCIOp here, just got back on the 4th from Op Saiph ROTO 0 in the Gulf.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ruse posted:

Navy NCIOp here, just got back on the 4th from Op Saiph ROTO 0 in the Gulf.

Saw your pics in the other thread. How's life on the Freddie?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

I like my boat, some of the guys say its too much dog and pony all the time. I can see where they're coming from, we did a lot of photo ops and VIP cocktail parties. It was my first Gulf trip, and I know it could have been far shittier. It was a good trip though, looking forward to my next.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 16, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

rotarybob posted:

Doing my Sig Op QL3 in Kingston right now. Three weeks out of four months down! :eng99:

It could always be worse. You could be on course in winter! I was born and raised in Kingston, thusly I am Mister Freeze.

That place gets loving cold.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Try living up in northern Ontario.

Aidsteen
Mar 30, 2008
Ahoy
I'm thinking about enlisting this Friday in the Navy as a boatswain. I got a couple questions/concerns I was hoping someone who's been through the ringer could possibly answer..

-basic training -- is it really as bad as it seems? or an actually useful life experience?

-i've worked in demolition, landscaping and forestry in the past, so I'm used to pretty heavy workloads and whatnot.. i can really push myself when i need to, but I'm definitely not in shape. how beat will I be at the end of the day?

-i'm a smoker. probably gonna quit, but what's the "official" stance on it? is there designated times/whatnot or is it just light up and go whenever?

-when i go in to speak to a recruiter, is he going to say whatever he can to get me to join? do i have to join then and there? I'm quite set on it but you never know.

-how soon after enlisting would I ship out to BT? Is it a separate course from the regular infantry/air force, or are all the forces lumped together?

there's a whole slew of info in the Basic Training 101 thread, but I'm unsure how much is relevant to the Canadian Forces.

Aidsteen fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 24, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Aidsteen posted:

Ahoy
I'm thinking about enlisting this Friday in the Navy as a boatswain. I got a couple questions/concerns I was hoping someone who's been through the ringer could possibly answer..

-basic training -- is it really as bad as it seems? or an actually useful life experience?

-i've worked in demolition, landscaping and forestry in the past, so I'm used to pretty heavy workloads and whatnot.. i can really push myself when i need to, but I'm definitely not in shape. how beat will I be at the end of the day?

-i'm a smoker. probably gonna quit, but what's the "official" stance on it? is there designated times/whatnot or is it just light up and go whenever?

-when i go in to speak to a recruiter, is he going to say whatever he can to get me to join? do i have to join then and there? I'm quite set on it but you never know.

-how soon after enlisting would I ship out to BT? Is it a separate course from the regular infantry/air force, or are all the forces lumped together?

there's a whole slew of info in the Basic Training 101 thread, but I'm unsure how much is relevant to the Canadian Forces.

Basic is a joke. If you have worked landscaping and other physical strenuous jobs you will be use to being sore, hard work, and long days. In the beginning you will be tired but your body will adapt to the work loads.

You dont have to quit smoking but it would help. They will give you smoke breaks during the day. Unless you gently caress up, or you have a hard staff they wont give you any.

The first thing the recruiter will do is ask you some questions, then give you the paperwork. They will most likely try and give you information about your trade choice. Your recruiting process time will probably take 6 months. ( depending on openings for appointments and such) Everyone in the Canadian forces does the same basic training.

" Will I have to join then and there", Please elaborate.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

As far as being a Bos'un, I could answer a few questions if you want.

Even though I work in Ops, if we're doing deck evolutions like launching the RHIB or Man Overboards, I've been on the upper decks for all of that poo poo so I can tell you what they do day in/day out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Lassitude posted:

Try living up in northern Ontario.

Try living in Shilo, Manitoba. Yea gently caress all of you.