Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Amazon review posted:

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS. PLEASE!, January 28, 2010
By Jason Young J. Tak "Filmproducer" (Glendale, CA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Marked for Death (DVD)

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS REPACKAGED VERSION. I SAY AGAIN PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS. ANYONE WHO ARE TRYING TO GET THIS FOR FIRST TIME EVER & IF YOU ARE HARDCORE FAN OF THIS MOVE, YOU MIGHT WANT TO BUY THIS BUT GIVE IT A RENT FIRST SIMPLY BECAUSE THIS EDITION HAS EXACT SAME DISC AS PREVIOUS EDITION (NON-ANAMORPHIC). THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS EDITION & OLDER EDTION IS THE NEWLY PRINTED COVER. IF YOU HAVE OLDER EDITION, PLEASE KEEP IT. DON,T BUY THIS EDITION TIMES 10000. END OF STORY.

THE ONLY WAY TO PROPERLY REVIEW A STEVEN SEAGAL DVD IS IN ALL CAPS.

twistedmentat posted:

Finally, I really want to get a blu ray player, and they're fairly cheap now. I used to buy a lot of DVDs, but i've put a hold on that due to BRs. Though I discovered that I have to get a HD tv first because of the connections. Which sucks because if I have an HD tv I need to get an HD box from my cable company which is more money, on top of the TV.

Or can you get BR players that use composite video?

You can get BR players that use composite video but I'd suggest that you save your money for an HDTV first. You're not really getting your money's worth from a BR player if you're using a regular TV and a composite output. It's not really an upgrade at all, since your TV won't even support the higher resolutions that BluRay uses.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

InfiniteZero posted:

You can get BR players that use composite video but I'd suggest that you save your money for an HDTV first. You're not really getting your money's worth from a BR player if you're using a regular TV and a composite output. It's not really an upgrade at all, since your TV won't even support the higher resolutions that BluRay uses.

Well, it's more that the TV is the most expensive part of it, and it will take me much longer to save up for it. Though I've been looking at the 40" ones are a lot more affordable than they were.

I guess the TV does make sense because I do already have a 360, which has native HD support for the games. It's my summer saving project.

Though everyone is confused by I want to get a 40". It's pretty easy, I don't have that much room in my apartment and I don't want t have some giant rear end TV to move around, again. I have a 37" wega and they are insanely huge.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

twistedmentat posted:

Also, what the gently caress MGM not having any money so it stops its cash cow Bond films? It doesn't make any sense.

I don't think you understand what dire straights MGM is in. If you go to MGM and walk in the front door there's no longer a receptionist. There's just a phone so you can call whoever you're meeting with so they can come down and get you.

As for a Bond film... They've had to shut down even that because even if it is the most successful Bond film of all time the profits made would only cover one month's interest on what they owe.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

twistedmentat posted:

What's going on with the Dark Crystal sequel? I remember reading about it ages ago, but is it dead?

Also, what the gently caress MGM not having any money so it stops its cash cow Bond films? It doesn't make any sense.

Dark Crystal 2 is now being put back into production with the brothers who directed Daybreakers in the director(s) spot. Not sure how to feel about that, since Genndy Tartakovsky was supposed to be doing it.

and MGM didn't stop James Bond. ION Productions did. They co-produce the movie with MGM, and since MGM has no money, they felt they wouldn't be able to fund the movie properly, so they called it off until MGM gets a new home or what-not.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Dark Crystal 2 is now being put back into production with the brothers who directed Daybreakers in the director(s) spot. Not sure how to feel about that, since Genndy Tartakovsky was supposed to be doing it.

Well, Daybreakers had a lot of good concepts mixed up with a lot of goofy stuff.

quote:

and MGM didn't stop James Bond. ION Productions did. They co-produce the movie with MGM, and since MGM has no money, they felt they wouldn't be able to fund the movie properly, so they called it off until MGM gets a new home or what-not.

Okay, what I heard sounded a lot less dire than that. How I heard made it sound like stop buying a bus pass to save money, but now you can't get to work. I'm probably safe in assuming MGM's problems are runaway production costs, lack of successful movies and general financial mismanagement?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, what I heard sounded a lot less dire than that. How I heard made it sound like stop buying a bus pass to save money, but now you can't get to work. I'm probably safe in assuming MGM's problems are runaway production costs, lack of successful movies and general financial mismanagement?

Not quite. Basically MGM went on a huge buying spree buying up back catalogs of movies. They leveraged this against future DVD sales, and for a while everything was fine. Then DVD sales completely fell out and now, things are tough.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NeuroticErotica posted:

Not quite. Basically MGM went on a huge buying spree buying up back catalogs of movies. They leveraged this against future DVD sales, and for a while everything was fine. Then DVD sales completely fell out and now, things are tough.

Ah, that would explain why in my store we have tons of old movies for 6-15 bux that are MGM titles. They all have giant MGM logos at the top of the box.

EDIT: Where can I find the Machete trailer, google only gives me links to the Grindhouse one.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 12, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's funny that Clifford and Mannequin 2 helped bring down the studio that made 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ben-Hur.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

twistedmentat posted:

Ah, that would explain why in my store we have tons of old movies for 6-15 bux that are MGM titles. They all have giant MGM logos at the top of the box.

EDIT: Where can I find the Machete trailer, google only gives me links to the Grindhouse one.

Search "Machete trailer illegal" and it should come up. The opening is Trejo talking directly to the audience if that helps.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is Starship Troopers on Hulu censored? Like a TV edited version? I use Hulu all the time for TV, but never for movies.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is Starship Troopers on Hulu censored? Like a TV edited version? I use Hulu all the time for TV, but never for movies.
Shouldn't be. Is there an age verification?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RussianGuyovich posted:

Search "Machete trailer illegal" and it should come up. The opening is Trejo talking directly to the audience if that helps.

Ew, I feel dirty I had to go to Ebaums to see it as all the Youtube videos are down.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

It's funny that Clifford and Mannequin 2 helped bring down the studio that made 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ben-Hur.

Their lobby is filled with all these Oscars from classic movies, but only up until a certain point. It's kinda heartbreaking. You can tell when a new regime came in.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
On the subject of Starship Troopers, does the Starship Captain say "random or light" or "Randomer Light"? For some reason, this has bothered me for over a decade. I don't know why she'd say "Randomer Light" but for some reason the idea won't go away without any closure.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

On the subject of Starship Troopers, does the Starship Captain say "random or light" or "Randomer Light"? For some reason, this has bothered me for over a decade. I don't know why she'd say "Randomer Light" but for some reason the idea won't go away without any closure.

Random and light.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Zophar posted:

Random and light.
Grazie.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Come to think of it, I'm surprised the Racebending thread hasn't had anything about the fact that Johnny Rico was Filipino in the book but was somewhat whitewashed (as an Argentinian) for the film.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Come to think of it, I'm surprised the Racebending thread hasn't had anything about the fact that Johnny Rico was Filipino in the book but was somewhat whitewashed (as an Argentinian) for the film.

Probably because his whiteness is done intentionally as part of the satirical nature of the film.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Racebending thread

Is this specifically a thread about yellow-face black-face actors? Is it here at SA?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

kapalama posted:

Is this specifically a thread about yellow-face black-face actors? Is it here at SA?

Yes.

Also I read Starship Troopers (twice!) and I don't remember Rico being Filipino, I always kind of assumed he was Argentinian because of the BA thing. I'll take your word for it though.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

quote:

Also I read Starship Troopers (twice!) and I don't remember Rico being Filipino, I always kind of assumed he was Argentinian because of the BA thing. I'll take your word for it though.

From near the end of the book:
code:
"Sorry, Bernardo. Just an old saying in my own language. I suppose you could translate it, more or less, as `Home is where the heart is.'"
"But what language was it?"
"Tagalog. My native language."
therefore Filipino.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
The humans in Starship Troopers are supposed to be Nazis.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

School Bully posted:

From near the end of the book:
code:
"Sorry, Bernardo. Just an old saying in my own language. I suppose you could translate it, more or less, as `Home is where the heart is.'"
"But what language was it?"
"Tagalog. My native language."
therefore Filipino.

His name was also Juan Rico so it can be assumed that he wasn't only Filipino. Heinlein was big on multiculturalism.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

His name was also Juan Rico so it can be assumed that he wasn't only Filipino. Heinlein was big on multiculturalism.

"Juan Rico" can be a Filipino name. It was a Spanish Colony for like 300 years.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

Barometer posted:

I think the leader even says that they can't be sure if he is one of the gang that is surrounding them or not. For all they know, he was in on killing them (dude dies, so Max's story is only his own word) and "any deal you had with him died with him" or somesuch.

Also, he looks pretty much the same as all those biker guys outside. :)

This makes no sense, what do you mean he looked "pretty much the same"? Could those people not see the striking, ruggedly good looks and piercing eyes of Max and immediately tell he's the good guy?

Now if he looked like that freaky dude with the mohawk and assless chaps (and had an androgynous boyfriend), THEN I could understand if they were a bit suspicious of Max.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

kapalama posted:

Bugs look like plastic lawn furniture made into a Disney animatronic machine. Denise Richards keeps showing me her nostrils. The other chick looks like she is forty, but sitting in a high school classroom hitting on a high school kid. (Wait, that's 90210 in a nutshell: Ugly 40 year old chicks pretending to be in high school.) Teacher has a fake looking stump.

But it sounds like I should watch it, anyway.

Anyone like the movie Sunshine (the 2007 'restart the sun' movie?)

I always thought Dina Meyer was the best part of Starship Troopers. She was actually a dude in the book; thankfully Denise Richards wasn't hogging up all of the female screen time because, yeah...I can't stand her nose either.

I loved Sunshine -- up until the third act when Pinbacker, who's somehow survived seven years with a realllly bad sunburn has developed supernatural strength and goes on a killing spree. I mean WTF. Great sci-fi turned lovely slasher with no rhyme nor reason.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Philip J Fry posted:

I loved Sunshine -- up until the third act when Pinbacker, who's somehow survived seven years with a realllly bad sunburn has developed supernatural strength and goes on a killing spree. I mean WTF. Great sci-fi turned lovely slasher with no rhyme nor reason.

That was definitely the weirdest left turn in a movie I have seen in a while. The movie, ignoring that, was an amazing atmospheric piece (music is such a big part of that for me, and that music is amazing).

Until you mentioned that I had sort of just blocked that bit out in my head.

I always wonder, was that spoilered bit a thing where a producer just said "you have to do something Hollywood to sell tickets", and so it was thrown in? Or was it in the filmmaker's head from the beginning? I am almost tempting to say 'unspoiler it' so that people will know to ignore that section of the plot and just enjoy the rest. I was lucky enough to konow about that part from reading a review, and so I knew to ignore it, and concentrate on the other excellent parts.

It's amazing what sort of things I can overlook/surpress. I mean I only saw "Sunshine" 2 months ago, and I had blocked that part out until you mentioned it.

If you liked that movie, I wonder, did you like "Moon"? That was a very nice movie that (for me) could have been great, with some more memorable (again, for me) music. Even without it, it was very good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think music has to be memorable to be effective. Clint Mansell did the score for Moon and I don't think he's done a bad score yet. His music for Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain were absolutely perfect for the films and I think his Moon score was almost equal in terms of setting and enhancing the mood.

Edit: I just realized how many bad movies Clint Mansell has worked on. Doom? Really?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been watching my digital copy of Sherlock Holmes on the bus to and from work, and the painting above Holmes's desk, who is that? It looks so familiar.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Edit: I just realized how many bad movies Clint Mansell has worked on. Doom? Really?

Bad movies cheques clear.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
One of his songs from Smokin Aces is a total ripoff of his Lux Aeterna song, too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

NeuroticErotica posted:

Bad movies cheques clear.
I think a lot of composers do the scores for lovely, low-budget films because it gives them the opportunity to try things that would probably get turned down in a big-budget, mainstream release. Or at least it seems like Jerry Goldsmith---who wrote scores for a whole bunch of crappy genre flicks---used to do this regularly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was surprised to see Jerry Goldsmith's name on the music for Chinatown.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
To everyone who debated Tarantino's film awareness, there's a great thematic analysis of Pulp Fiction's Butch storyline here which I'd say proves that Tarantino is one of the most technical directors out there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't think there is a person alive who will doubt Taratino's film awareness.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

People do it to be edgy because Pulp Fiction is really popular with :siren: college kids :siren: or something.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ravel posted:

To everyone who debated Tarantino's film awareness, there's a great thematic analysis of Pulp Fiction's Butch storyline here which I'd say proves that Tarantino is one of the most technical directors out there.
Is the analysis in that Youtube video the kind of stuff you learn to do in "film school"?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is the analysis in that Youtube video the kind of stuff you learn to do in "film school"?

No idea, since I'm a Physics Major, but I have a few undergraduate film texts and most of them have decent detailed writeups of the same sort of thing.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

depends on the school. I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
How do they film scenes with big mirrors in the scenery and keep the cameraman out of the reflection?