Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Roil posted:

So I'm reaaaaaally into The Glitch Mob lately - glitch hop, grimey, hip hop speed music. Who else should I be looking into for this kind of sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnVduIY75Y

Check out Bassnectar, Sub Swara, eDit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Roil posted:

So I'm reaaaaaally into The Glitch Mob lately - glitch hop, grimey, hip hop speed music. Who else should I be looking into for this kind of sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnVduIY75Y

Some basic starters are Flying Lotus, Lone, and Rustie. If you're looking for a little more, the thread for that kind of stuff is here.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I've always been in love with "fun" songs, and recently discovered both Fun. and Scott Klopfensteins solo stuff (in particular The Hilarious). Pandora has failed miserably at providing any other bands that create such full wonderful sounds but aren't tied down with blandness/ridiculous pop sounds/pretentiousness. I guess I'm looking for songs that are "full" (like an orchestra) but still handle the crescendos well and build up to a marvelous blast. Already listen to BTMI (who also does all those formentioned things perfectly) and Streetlight Manifesto.

Oh, and any caberetish music would be cool too.

Shlank
Feb 16, 2007
Looking for stuff in the vein of Yeasayer - O.N.E / HEALTH - USA Boys / MGMT - Kids

What else is out there for indie dance type stuff?

emminou
May 25, 2006

Shlank posted:

Looking for stuff in the vein of Yeasayer - O.N.E / HEALTH - USA Boys / MGMT - Kids

What else is out there for indie dance type stuff?

Some things you might like: Caribou, Cut Copy, Passion Pit, Ratatat, !!!, Foals?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Yoghurt posted:

I'm looking for something that sounds both a lot like m83 (particularly highway of endless dreams and moonchild) and this song by neon indian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6uLlLqCrY

Any suggestions?

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but Jatun might rub you the right way.

Yoghurt
Dec 18, 2006

We have always been at war with scenesters

Iraff posted:

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but Jatun might rub you the right way.

This is an excellent recommendation.

Got anything more in a similar vein?

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

The Consultant posted:

ISIS, Russian Circles, Pelican. I know more if you like these. Start with ISIS though.

I've tried getting into Isis, but they're a little slow for my tastes. I was looking for more of a Fear Factory type vibe. Russian Circles is pretty cool though, thanks for that.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Hey guys,
looking for more similar to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1oaFjtwLs

Female vocals, chillout, jazzy, 'busy' music.

It would be nice to find an album full of similar stuff instead of the one or two songs found on cafe del mar.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Jut posted:

Hey guys,
looking for more similar to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1oaFjtwLs

Female vocals, chillout, jazzy, 'busy' music.

It would be nice to find an album full of similar stuff instead of the one or two songs found on cafe del mar.

Have you checked The Cinematic Orchestra out?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
just given them a go, and they are not bad, but not quite what I had in mind.
There is something very upbeat, yet chilling about the song I linked to that I like, as well as the mix of woodwind, piano and electronica.
I only posted this as an off chance, i've been looking at various genera for something similar but no joy.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

Jut posted:

just given them a go, and they are not bad, but not quite what I had in mind.
There is something very upbeat, yet chilling about the song I linked to that I like, as well as the mix of woodwind, piano and electronica.
I only posted this as an off chance, i've been looking at various genera for something similar but no joy.

Try Moodorama or The Dining Rooms.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
a quick youtube listen reveals Moodorama sound good as do The Dining Rooms ty! :D

JihadforChrist
Mar 19, 2010
Looking for haunting otherworldly songs featuring female vocals with a meloncholic sound. Not super emo stuff but a song that can convey its misery not through lyrics necessarily but through sound.

Something like Martina Topley Bird at 1:55 in this video of "All Alone" by Gorillaz. (ignore the rest just the part startng at 1:55 and ending at 2:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoMaa-n-6l0

I'm not really looking for anything that sounds like Massive Attack however.

JihadforChrist fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 19, 2010

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

JihadforChrist posted:

Looking for haunting otherworldly songs featuring female vocals with a meloncholic sound. Not super emo stuff but a song that can convey its misery not through lyrics necessarily but through sound.

Something like Martina Topley Bird at 1:55 in this video of "All Alone" by Gorillaz. (ignore the rest just the part startng at 1:55 and ending at 2:30)

terror bird - sociopaths are glam

http://www.myspace.com/xterrorbirdx

I can't find any links, but the songs on sociopaths... are a lot more like what your looking for + sound better than whats on the myspace page

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
What's some good Riot Grrrl aside from the obvious big names (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, L7, Sleater-Kinney etc)?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My friend of mine wrote this on a note on facebook and I want to suggest some really good and unique bands for him:

quote:

So, I've not been entirely happy with my musical choices for a while. I suspect there's some really great music out there that I would really like, but I just don't know about it. I strongly suspect this because it's been the case in the past. For example, Neutral Milk Hotel is one of my favorite bands. They disbanded in 1999, but I discovered them in 2005 or so. I'd love to discover a band that is actually still making music I love, that I just don't know about yet.

One way to do this, of course, is to put the music I like into Pandora, and see what else comes up. I've been listening to a lot of Pandora, and mostly I've found a few songs here and there I didn't know about and have now downloaded and really enjoy, but I can't say there's a new band I was unfamiliar with but now really like (though, I didn't realize just how much I like Weezer until they kept popping up. I have a Weezer station now, that's my favorite).

So, anyway, my idea was to describe my musical preferences here, and see what suggestions my facebook friends might come up with. I tagged a bunch of people, just because I wanted to make sure they saw this note (some people don't check facebook a lot; others I happen to know are really into music), I want anyone who sees this and feels like they have a good suggestion to fire away.

Alright then, not exactly sure the best way to do this, but I'll start by opening my Itunes to remind me of my favorite artists. In rough order of artists that I've enjoyed listening to lately (i.e., not a statement on overall artistic merit): Nirvana, U2, Neutral Milk Hotel, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Led Zeppelin, Who, Cracker, Weezer, Radiohead, Hole, Aimee Mann, R.E.M. I've also got a soft-spot for good Irish Rock, most notably, the Pogues. Definitely could use some good suggestions here (haven't been all that pleased with many of Pandora's suggestions here).

As for a more stylistic description, I really like hard-driving, yet catchy, guitar-driven music, e.g., Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day. I appreciate more minimalist sounds, i.e., White Stripes (because of Jack White's amazing guitar licks), Spoon (great catchy tunes), but I'm somewhat partial to more of the fuller, Wall of Sound, approach. All else being equal, I definitely favor up-tempo.

It also occurred to me, that there's some bands people might suggest that I already am familiar with and like, just not love, that I didn't mention here. Those include Coldplay, Muse, pretty much all classic rock (Beatles, Eagles, Stones, Clapton, etc.)

Alright, that's more than enough, suggest away!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I can listen to the Underworld instrumetals on the SUnshine soundtrack all day long, but I don't like their songs with vocals.

Which albums or songs are like 'Last Message Home' from Sunshine?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 19, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I'm looking for scary and mournful electronic music, like Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill music, or even stuff way more far out like Aphex Twin's "Gwarek2"

I specifically LOVE the sound of the percussion in this Yamaoka track "Betrayal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WShknpNpHbY anything similar to that?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I want some more instrumental, or instrumental-esque hip hop songs. I'd prefer there to be no lyrics/vocals other then samples, but if the music is good enough I can look past it.

Right now all I have that I can think of, in order of what kind I am most looking for.

MF DOOM - Special Herbs 1&2
RJD2 - Deadringer - I had someone tell me his more recent albums aren't anything like this one.
J. Dilla - Donuts
Aesop Rock - Nike+: All Day - A 40 minute track he did for Nike's All Day thingamajig. It's mostly music with rap verses peppered throughout.

edit: I forgot, but I really love Nightmares on Wax's In A Space Outta Sound, whats some other stuff from him I should check out?

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 20, 2010

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I want some more instrumental, or instrumental-esque hip hop songs. I'd prefer there to be no lyrics/vocals other then samples, but if the music is good enough I can look past it.

Right now all I have that I can think of, in order of what kind I am most looking for.

RJD2 - Deadringer - I had someone tell me his more recent albums aren't anything like this one.
J. Dilla - Donuts
Aesop Rock - Nike+: All Day - A 40 minute track he did for Nike's All Day thingamajig. It's mostly music with rap verses peppered throughout.

edit: I forgot, but I really love Nightmares on Wax's In A Space Outta Sound, whats some other stuff from him I should check out?

Madlib. He's by far one of my favorite artists, period. He made a collab with MF Doom called Madvillain and one with Dilla called Jaylib. He's releasing an album a month this year, along with new material for Madvillain and some of his other projects. Hardest working producer in the business, for sure.

In general, you wanna check out Stones Throw Records. Other stuff you can check out: the wonky genre of music (there's a thread for this) including guys like Flying Lotus, TOKiMONSTA, Lone, and Rustie.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

JihadforChrist posted:

Woah, never knew that was Martina, thanks

You might want to try Florence + the Machine. Really powerful voice, I find it quite melancholic at times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpLXQorSQe8

edit: This song might be even better for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfBY96qxVRQ

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 20, 2010

wisconsin
Apr 25, 2010

by elpintogrande
I've been listening to a lot of Star loving Hipsters lately, and was looking for some punk bands with a female lead singer. They seem to be few and far between. Hook a brother up?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

wisconsin posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Star loving Hipsters lately, and was looking for some punk bands with a female lead singer. They seem to be few and far between. Hook a brother up?

Bikini Kill (you probably know that but I had to include them), P.S. Eliot, Screaming Females, Lemuria, Le Tigre (to an extent)

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
I'm looking for some modern, foreign music. Pop, rap, techno, etc.

I recently heard some kind of Arab techno (or something..) and really liked it. So I'd particularly like arab sounding stuff but anything foreign would be great.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

kinkster posted:

I recently heard some kind of Arab techno (or something..) and really liked it. So I'd particularly like arab sounding stuff but anything foreign would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glui5pKNYlU

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

kinkster posted:

"Anything foreign" yeah that sure narrows it down a bunch.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Yeah, sorry. I mean stuff where you hear it and can easily say "that's japanese" or "that's arab". And foreign language lyrics.

VolcomxStone
Aug 11, 2008
I'm looking for anything like Bassnectar or Deadmau5, love them both.

Additionally, I just recently got into rap and am looking for some older rap (90's and early 2000's) and even newer stuff. Looking to rock the subwoofers in my car.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

kinkster posted:

Yeah, sorry. I mean stuff where you hear it and can easily say "that's japanese" or "that's arab". And foreign language lyrics.

Ahaha dude these posts smack of cultural tourism. But in the interest of being helpful instead of being super-snarky at your well-intentioned but misguided request, I'm gonna suggest you check out Derek Mazzone's Wo'Pop show every week and just figure out more of what you're into that way.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

kinkster posted:

I love japanese music, though I'm kinda just getting into it myself. Everyone needs some Morning Musume in their life, at least once. It's pure pop but I love it. Pizzicato 5... not sure exactly what genre they come under, maybe pop too but not same the bubble gum type as MoMusu. Hamasaki Ayumi is another pop act in the Christina Aguilera/Brittany Spears style running the gamut from Rock and dance tracks right through to ballads.
More punk stuff would be Mika Bomb, Shonen Knife both fronted by women (Mika Bomb had a token guy, Shonen Knife were all female) both of those use english lyrics but they're not in good english and heavily accented. Mad Capsule Markets you've probably heard of but worth mentioning because they're that awesome.
If you like rap then Cibo Matto are good but very weird most of the time lyrically..

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 22, 2010

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008

Dadjacket posted:

Ahaha dude these posts smack of cultural tourism.

That's just what it is. I wish I had explained it as such in the first place. Thanks for the radio link, I'll check that out.

and anime_otaku, some of those are sounding good. some quite generic though

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

wisconsin posted:

As an addendum to my previous post, here are more: The Measure (SA), Good Luck, The Unlovables, Little Lungs, Cheeky, Discount, Full Of Fancy, The Gateway District, The Two Funerals

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 22, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I need some loving music. By which I mean shagging music. Preferably not the standard Marvin Gaye/Barry White black soul type music. Though that's fine too if it's a really good song.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

kinkster posted:

That's just what it is. I wish I had explained it as such in the first place. Thanks for the radio link, I'll check that out.

and anime_otaku, some of those are sounding good. some quite generic though

Yeah some of the stuff I listed is pretty mainstream and well known, like I say I'm just getting into it myself so I've not got into anything that could be seen as obscure. A few more I've thought of. If you like Devo then try Polysics who count them as an influence and are really fun. High and Mighty Color are a good Rock/metal band. Also if you liked Cibo Matto both Yuka Honda and Miho Hattori have both done an individual album but they are very different from Cibo Matto and each other. If you like Rock then Gackt is worth a look. Also it might be worth getting the OST for "The World Ends With You" some of the stuff on that is great. Talking of OST's a lot of newer anime series have great music, that's how I discovered HaMC, they did a OP for Bleach.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Does anyone have any artist / album recommendations for music similar to (for example) - Lux Aeterna from Requiem For A Dream? Or something like E. S. Posthumus? Basically 'epic violin' music. Anything being backed up with drums / guitars is cool too, but I'm not really talking about symphonic rock or metal (so not Nightwish, Within Temptation and so on).

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
I like some hip-hip, like the Kid Cudi song with Ratatat and MGMT, Pursuit of happiness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xzU9Qqdqww&feature=fvst

I also like Buck 65 Remix (feat Sufjan Stevens) - Blood pt 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq5YtipSjsw&feature=fvst

I don't know how to describe what I like about those songs, other than that they're relaxed and melodious, and aren't about babes or street life. Got anything to recommend? Specific songs?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

the Bunt posted:

I need some loving music. By which I mean shagging music. Preferably not the standard Marvin Gaye/Barry White black soul type music. Though that's fine too if it's a really good song.

If you want something a little slower and more sensual, go with trip-hop or chillout like Portishead or Thievery Corporation. For a more uptempo fuckathon, you can't go wrong with bangin' rear end electro house, this thread has a lot of good stuff but check out specifically Fake Blood and Jack Beats. You can pm me for more specific reccomendations if either of those genres are along the lines of what you're looking for but it shouldn't be hard to find good artists and labels reading up a ltitle.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops
i'll give this another go

the Bunt posted:

I'm looking for scary and mournful electronic music, like Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill music, or even stuff way more far out like Aphex Twin's "Gwarek2"

I specifically LOVE the sound of the percussion in this Yamaoka track "Betrayal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WShknpNpHbY anything similar to that?

Hey I love Akira Yamaoka too

Biosphere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnT-qFney1g

Bark Psychosis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz_1OY8IGGA

VolcomxStone posted:

I'm looking for anything like Bassnectar or Deadmau5, love them both.

Additionally, I just recently got into rap and am looking for some older rap (90's and early 2000's) and even newer stuff. Looking to rock the subwoofers in my car.

I just dug up an old Chemical Brothers album a while ago and I totally forgot about how amazing they were. So if you have somehow avoided listening to any of their stuff, give it a go. particularely the album Surrender.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

J. Dilla - Donuts

if you haven't already heard it, try Cut Chemist - The Audience's Listening

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I am always looking for more sexy, mysterious-sounding, female-fronted trip-hoppy bands like Portishead, Lovage, and Bitter:Sweet. I'm familiar with all the usual suspects, but would I like Shivaree? I absolutely love their song "Goodnight Moon" (from the closing credits of Kill Bill Volume 2) -- it really fits into the same kind of sound I like. What do people say about them, generally?

I ask because I've been disappointed a few times recently after hearing amazing-sounding songs I love and then buying CDs that are disappointing: Koop and Psapp come to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FElGUGqnOXM

Hybrid always has lots of female vocals. They're quite good, give them a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Two minutes into a song called Graphic Designer by Electric Six, something really cool happens. I don't know what to describe it as, but if you listen to it it's easy to find the transition

so ya, looking for stuff similar to that second half of that song

Click here to listen to 11-electric_six-graphic_designer.mp3

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)