Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Installed my Sigma bicycle computer today. I was getting tired of my ridiculous 1970s speedometer being either inaccurate or just plain twitchy. The needle bouncing between 65 - 75mph at speed just wont do. My riding buddies were getting annoyed with me when I rode lead because I was either a slowpoke or speed loving racer depending on how retarded my speedometer felt like being that day.

Heres the kit. Superior German bicycle computer:

The little magnet that came with it wasn't going to work so I picked up a whole box of magnets from the dollar store

Here is the sensor and magnet mounted at the bottom of my forks. The magnet has been JB-Qwik welded to inside of the brake rotor assembly. Yes its dirty down there. 1970s bikes look better dirty.

I zip tied the cable to the speedometer cable because its the right length to flex with the fork travel.

All set up here on the handlebars. Its got a pretty cool rubber band/sticky tape mounting setup. The unit itself can detach from the dock.

After a good test drive. It works very, very well. Very accurate according to my GPS. Now I'm also going to know when my fuel is going to run out instead of the surprise holy poo poo flip to reserve oh god where is a gas station routine.

All told it was well worth the $18 I spent on it. I'd recommend one for any bike really. Its also the only thing on my bike with transistors :v:

8ender fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'd almost do the same just to have a clock handy!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

I'd almost do the same just to have a clock handy!

Forgot to mention that. Its got a nice big button on the bottom that switches between KMs travelled, time travelled, some weird symbol that I'm not sure about, and a 24 hour clock. My only beef with the clock is that you can only change it to a 12hr clock if you switch the unit to MPH. Apparently if you're in a metric country you better be able to read a 24hr clock.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
well how else will you be able to tell if its morning or afternoon

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That mystery function is probably cadence, which is beyond useless on a motorcycle :haw:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Went for a ride today, approached a group of probably 14 bikes traveling in the opposite direction. Each and every single one of them gave me a wave. Being a new rider, that poo poo made me happy as gently caress. So instead of going home and doing chores and getting groceries I rode around for another 2 hours having a blast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is that backlit? I'd really like a digital speedo for the VFR.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
New thought! I have been kinda planning a European holiday. right? Well, today I was thinking, you know what would be even better than a holiday across the pond? A brand new loving DRZ (or a drat nice used one). So I'm thinking holiday money might become sumo money.

I can wait a while(on travel), right? It's not like Europe is going anywhere. Thoughts? Am I fool or is this sound reasoning?

8ender posted:

Forgot to mention that. Its got a nice big button on the bottom that switches between KMs travelled, time travelled, some weird symbol that I'm not sure about, and a 24 hour clock. My only beef with the clock is that you can only change it to a 12hr clock if you switch the unit to MPH. Apparently if you're in a metric country you better be able to read a 24hr clock.

I've got something like that one my der scooter. A PO slapped it on for .. god knows why- my speedo works, but hey, redundant systems , amirite?

edit:words

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 16, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Is that backlit? I'd really like a digital speedo for the VFR.

The 1606L is backlit:
http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_wired/bc1606l/

One caveat is that because it only gets one pulse every time the wheel goes around its not going to be as fast at updating as the sort of digital speedo you see on some modern bikes. I still found it more than acceptable for a quick glance at my speed. I sort of use both speedos now.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
becky's vapor is exatly the same. The faster you go the faster it updates! :downs:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Protip:

Put 2 magnets on your rotor and half the size of the wheel. Or 4, or whatever you prefer.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Z3n posted:

Protip:

Put 2 magnets on your rotor and half the size of the wheel. Or 4, or whatever you prefer.

I was just thinking that but I don't think this one will take a wheel size that small

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

I was just thinking that but I don't think this one will take a wheel size that small

Bicycle computer may not, but the vapor unit will :) Most of the ones I've seen start at 0000 though, so you can set it to whatever you want.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Z3n posted:

Bicycle computer may not, but the vapor unit will :) Most of the ones I've seen start at 0000 though, so you can set it to whatever you want.

I'll have to check this out. I think I could fit about two more on the rotor and I've got a bucketload of these useless stupid little magnets.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

As awesome as colored magnets are, I've got a stack of neodynium magnet I got off of ebay. 10 for 4$ shipped or something absurd like that. They're tiny and very strong, so they do the job nicely.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Mcqueen posted:

Went for a ride today, approached a group of probably 14 bikes traveling in the opposite direction. Each and every single one of them gave me a wave. Being a new rider, that poo poo made me happy as gently caress. So instead of going home and doing chores and getting groceries I rode around for another 2 hours having a blast.

Chores and groceries can wait until you are dead. Ride now!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
This should be the official motorcycle riding shirt

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hey, guess whose bike was missing carb bowl drain tubes? Thanks, PO :facepalm:
Also, don't go work on the bike with the nice white shirt you just washed. Now I'm just crossing my fingers for a parking spot when I get back.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 16, 2010

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

Harley rider shot and paralyzed by Toledo police, totally unprovoked.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=7433661

At least he'll still be riding two wheels... for life.

http://toledoblade.com/article/20100514/NEWS02/5140348

found guilty, remains to be seen what kind of sentencing he'll get.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Man_of_Teflon posted:

http://toledoblade.com/article/20100514/NEWS02/5140348

found guilty, remains to be seen what kind of sentencing he'll get.

I just w00ted a little bit. I'm sad that I didn't think the officer would be found guilty, but happy that he has been.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

As bugdrvr mentions, there's no need for shims, yours uses screw/nut type adjusters.

You're sure about this? The Haynes manual says there are shims over bucket on the GS500 and theres some video on youtube with a guy named Kerry doing the whole adjustment. He uses some shim tool to lower the bucket while revealing the shim and uses some small screwdrivers/magnet to get em out.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2015554469142545363

how do screw type adjusters work?

infraboy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 18, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

You're sure about this? The Haynes manual says there are shims over bucket on the GS500 and theres some video on youtube with a guy named Kerry doing the whole adjustment. He uses some shim tool to lower the bucket while revealing the shim and uses some small screwdrivers/magnet to get em out.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2015554469142545363

Goddamnit, I was thinking of a different bike. I've even talked to one of the goons about where to find the shim tool. :sigh: You're right, they're shim over bucket type.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

infraboy posted:

The cam sits on top of a rocker arm that has a screw with a set nut for each valve it presses, if the gap is out of spec, you just loosen the set nut and turn the screw accordingly then re-tighten the nut while holding the screw in place with a screw driver.
This gives you a lot more leeway where to set the gap, with shims you're stuck with whatever shims will work, with the screw type you can set them all to the slappy happy loose end of spec every time, and no cam removal.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

Goddamnit, I was thinking of a different bike. I've even talked to one of the goons about where to find the shim tool. :sigh: You're right, they're shim over bucket type.

Yeah it actually doesn't look that bad to do, i've tried lifting up the tank just to replace the air filter but that was a pain in the rear end too, the fuel hoses are kinda short and don't give me much slack to lift it very far. It's kinda tough to do since i'd have to do it in one day.... and well i've been working like 6 days a week and I commute on the thing about 4 out of those 6 days :3

Guess it's time to order feeler gauges and a micrometer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?s=8adc830f028038648e766db20b7d64ba&showtopic=689401&st=0

RD350 engine shoved in a SXV frame. Still in progress, and awesome.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Has anyone ever had old people chase them?

I mean, I've had some dogs make a bee line for me before, but today takes the cake.

I was heading home from work enjoying my local back road when I see a man and his poodle in the distance walking towards me in the middle of the road. Probably couple hundred yards away. So I slow down to the speed limit, and swerve to the right to get around. Well he then shifts over to where I'm going. So I go back to the left part and he does the same, now with an evil looking face and he's pointing his finger agressively to the ground as if he wants me to stop. I don't want to argue with old people and besides, my ipod was on. So I slow down to about 20 KPH and when he's about 20 feet away I swerved to the far left side of the opposite lane and he makes a running bee-line right for me. I pin it and luckily get by with no contact but jesus christ what was he thinking? If he managed to hit me or knock me off the bike I would have gone mental on him, no matter his age.

Old people :argh:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

8ender posted:

Installed my Sigma bicycle computer today. I was getting tired of my ridiculous 1970s speedometer being either inaccurate or just plain twitchy.

Is that a KZ? The dials on my 79 KZ750 I had a few years ago were identical, looks and function, completely worthless for anything past 60 MPH for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrZig posted:

Old people :argh:

I somehow pissed some old dude off with my DRZ once and he chased me down a country road. And by chased I mean he drove like hell to catch up to me while I was completely unaware that he was doing it. Once he caught me, he blocked me off at an intersection and started screaming about how I was doing twice the speedlimit (I wasn't), and how I must have been doing 130 on the country road (the DRZ could only do like 90 tops), and how he had to do 120 to catch me. AND how he was going straight to the police.

Thankfully I had my wits about me, and told him "Fine, go to the police department and tell them how you did 120mph in a 45 to catch a bike that can only do 90mph, and see what they have to say, and if you don't tell them you were doing 120 in a 45, I will". Then I just drove off.

I never heard from the police.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Z3n posted:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?s=8adc830f028038648e766db20b7d64ba&showtopic=689401&st=0

RD350 engine shoved in a SXV frame. Still in progress, and awesome.

Is that gonna be a whole inch of travel at the front?

SXV is nuts enough from the factory

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is that a KZ? The dials on my 79 KZ750 I had a few years ago were identical, looks and function, completely worthless for anything past 60 MPH for me.

Yeah a '77 Kz650. I thought it was the cables at first but after a lube the needles still bounce around above 60 mph.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ugh. Has anyone else ever had a ride in where it felt like everyone was actively trying to kill you? I'm not talking about the thought process that says to ride like everyone is trying to kill you. I'm talking people actually trying to kill you like it is their job. I must have had two dozen people try to merge into me, cut me off and slam on their brakes, left turn in front of me, and basically every other idiotic thing people in cars do to people on bikes.

Maybe Thursdays are the most dangerous day of the week to ride since everyone is just thinking about the weekend and how it is almost Friday or some poo poo?

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

frozenphil posted:

Maybe Thursdays are the most dangerous day of the week to ride since everyone is just thinking about the weekend and how it is almost Friday or some poo poo?

I guess, I had a bad start to my morning commute too. Some Harley-riding rear end in a top hat came up behind me and was lane-sharing with me which I REALLY don't like. I couldn't see him either, he was hovering exactly in my blind spot. The only reason I even knew he was there was because I could hear his bike. Dick.

The end of my ride made up for it though. The street I rode down to park on had a bus unloading in front of me, which was annoying at first but then all the kids in the back of the bus started waving. So I waved back, then I revved the bike and they all started jumping up and down and waving like crazy. It was pretty cute.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Oakey posted:

I guess, I had a bad start to my morning commute too. Some Harley-riding rear end in a top hat came up behind me and was lane-sharing with me which I REALLY don't like. I couldn't see him either, he was hovering exactly in my blind spot. The only reason I even knew he was there was because I could hear his bike. Dick.

I've noticed that the only people who do this to me are people on Harleys. I guess they think that since they ride like that with their friends then it is OK to ride like that with strangers. I do it when I'm out with friends because I know them, their skill level, and that they'll pay to fix something if they gently caress up. Those reasons are exactly why I don't lane share with strangers. I don't mind people pulling up next to me when I'm stopped, but don't lane share with me when we're riding. I usually weave back an forth in my lane when they do that and they have all seemed to get the hint.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Oakey posted:

The only reason I even knew he was there was because I could hear his bike.

See, loud pipes save lives.

The only time I've been passed on the right in my own lane was by a Harley rider. On a two lane road as a semi was going by on my left. I was not happy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dubs posted:

Is that gonna be a whole inch of travel at the front?

SXV is nuts enough from the factory

Looks like stock travel for the SXV. I wonder how much heavier the 2t engine is than the stock SXV engine...

And yeah, it's beautiful.

When I was talking to my boss this morning (a former rider himself) he said "Hey, are you on a yellow dirt bike? New toy?" and for a moment I was concerned he had caught me pulling wheelies out of the parking lot or something. :haw:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Was out yesterday afternoon enjoying the sunshine. Came to an intersection that was backed up with traffic, so I stayed behind the stop line in the left lane to see if it would clear before my green changed. It didn't, so I stayed where I was, and while the light was turning yellow, one of those mini school busses did a left turn out from behind me. Nice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yaha! Fixed my zipper!
If you've replaced your jacket zip tab with a key ring, eventually it'll stretch the mechanism so it doesn't mesh the teeth together anymore. Squished it shut with some pliers then replaced the keyring with some lockwire and now it works like a charm.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Testing rust removal electrolysis for the first time. You can hear it bubbling away in there and slowly a pool of rust is gathering on top. Very fun stuff! Details, explanation, results and more pics tomorrow.

Oh and also

(have since piled on another 1100 km)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

frozenphil posted:

Ugh. Has anyone else ever had a ride in where it felt like everyone was actively trying to kill you? I'm not talking about the thought process that says to ride like everyone is trying to kill you.

I once had somebody drive me off the road (100% aware, on purpose, while laughing) because i wouldn't do a wheely for his son sitting in the back seat.

I also had someobody brake check me at speed because I wouldn't rev my bike while sitting at the lights, and his mate was flicking his wrist out the window.

Z3n posted:

Looks like stock travel for the SXV. I wonder how much heavier the 2t engine is than the stock SXV engine...

I thought it looked like the tyre is going to hit the bottom of the forks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MrZig posted:

Has anyone ever had old people chase them?

I had a 60 year old man on a KTM 450SMR chase me down, and pass me, multiple times.