Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Swapped out the vents in my GTI for GLI vents! (they look nicer and light up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rhyno posted:

I have purchased at least 4 sets of funnels from Harbor Freight and I can never find them when I need one. I always end up cutting up a bottle.

My car takes a gallon plus a quart. I carefully pour in the quart, then cut the bottom off and I've got a perfect funnel for the gallon.

If a company sold quarts with a tear-off base like on plastic milk jugs where a pull tab zips off the lid, I'd buy their oil forever.

indecision
May 17, 2009
Took my Yugo to a car show!

Didn't win anything, but got a lot of attention. This is a weekly show (at the Chick-Fil-A in Howell NJ) and a lot of folks said nobody's brought a Yugo before.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Any reason why it took 4 months?

Yeah, about that...I was told two months, but the guy knew I was going to be out of the country, so until I started asking about it nothing but the body work got done.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

indecision posted:

Took my Yugo to a car show!

Didn't win anything, but got a lot of attention. This is a weekly show (at the Chick-Fil-A in Howell NJ) and a lot of folks said nobody's brought a Yugo before.

Awesome. How's she running these days? Did you get the cooling system figured out?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Drained and replaced 5 quarts of transmission fluid from my 1980 300cd. I had unwittingly put two drain plug gaskets on the last time, it started to drip :downs:. Gently used Dexron III is an excellent smell, almost like an evil popsicle.

While driving my XT today I looked in the rear view mirror and spotted a spider hanging near my head from the sunroof. SPIDERS :supaburn:

Also found a King-Dick brand adjustable spanner at a garage sale.

indecision
May 17, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Awesome. How's she running these days? Did you get the cooling system figured out?

Mostly. It's not overheating anymore, but it runs hot. I'm going to test the oil to see if there's coolant in it (and maybe vice-versa) to see if there's a slight head gasket leak. Could be air trapped in the coolant too.

I need to bring it back to my mechanic anyway since he didn't resurface one of the rear drums correctly (it causes a surging while braking), so I'll probably just have him check it out.

There's still a lot of work to be done. One of the front control arms need replacing, so do the front axles (CV boots are shot), needs paint on the grill and logos, carpet needs a good cleaning, a few latches and fasteners need to be replaced, and I think it needs new engine mounts. But it's running, and it's getting a lot of looks, so I'm happy.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I got my car back from the repairers earlier in the week so I spent a total of about 6 hours over the weekend giving it a proper clean. It almost looks brand new now except for all the rock chips in the paint work.

Before:

After:

Now you can barely even see a difference between the old and new paint. I'm honestly rather amazed that 19 year old red paint has come up so well.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I woke up to the smell of gasoline all over my house, and discovered I had a cracked tank. Not sure what I'll do with it ultimately, but in the mean time I siphoned out the tank as best I could, and then tried to smear a bunch of plasticweld epoxy all over it. I'll probably go back over it with Locktite's two part epoxy (claims to be fuel/oil resistant.

Apparently on the S13 240sx, the gas tank can be removed unfastening four straps, and nothing else.

Replacing the gas tank on the S14 requires that you remove the drive shaft, back half of the exhaust, and drop the rear subframe assembly and differential. I'm seriously considering just buying a much newer car as this is the second critical, plastic part that's failed on me in 2-3 months. I do feel lucky, at least, that the crack wasn't over the exhaust pipe. That could've gotten nasty, very fast.

For reference:

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 9, 2010

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
You can take a (relatively clean) piece of paper and bend it around to improvise a funnel.

Any of you with old cars with mantrans: replace the oil in your transmission. It will probably be pretty easy and the shifting will feel a lot better. I replaced the gear oil in a couple of Honda boxes and they are waaaay improved. Just make sure you open the filler hole before you drain the fluid out. It would be a drat shame if you got the fluid out but couldn't put more in.

My wife and I bought a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L auto four door with part time 4x4 yesterday. I also went to the junkyard and grabbed some clips for the interior of the 1998 ZX2 I am selling. I used some bug & tar remover to clean some gunk off the front end of the ZX2 (waxed area afterwards of course).

The day before that I put UV leak detector in the AC system of the ZX2 and discovered big leaks in the compressor and one of the hoses where it transitions from rubber to metal.

Oh, and ordered a new rear hub for my 1995 Lexus SC400 to replace the one that got wiped out along with the wheel bearing. Here is a picture of sad Lexus:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Both sides are taken apart like that.

OMG so many loving ball joints! And how on earth am I going to get the parking (drum) brake stuff all back together?!

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 9, 2010

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Grashnak posted:

Now you can barely even see a difference between the old and new paint. I'm honestly rather amazed that 19 year old red paint has come up so well.
A lot of early 1990s Toyotas shine up very nice when polished since they have non-clear coat paint. Most 1990s Toyotas that are red, black or white (iirc) are non-CC paint that takes very well to polishing.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Grr.

A couple weeks ago I replaced the alternator in my 1995 Acura Integra SE (a GS-R minus the VTEC motor, it has GS-R suspension).

To pull the alternator out it is "easiest" to pull the driver side axle out. To do this one must remove the fork mounted to the bottom of the shock. To remove the fork one must remove a pinch bolt that fixes the fork to the shock.

Well the pinch bolt broke.

The car COULD NOT be reassembled with a broken pinch bolt. So I had to remove the shock and the fork together to fix this problem. To remove the shock/fork assembly I had to have a lot more travel on the lower control arm than I could get with the sway bar link in place.

Of course the sway bar link broke off where it connects to the lower control arm.

I got an identical damper fork and pinch bolt from a 94 Civic at the junkyard and put the car back together with the broken end link.

I ordered a full set of end links on the internet and waited for them to come in. They came yesterday. So I jacked the car up and proceeded to remove the sway bar link from the sway bar. It fought and fought and fought. The threaded part sticking out of the mini ball joint kept spinning when I turned the nut. I spent ninety minutes trying to keep the threaded part from spinning with a Vice Grips while turning the nut. I finally got it after heating everything up with a propane torch for a few minutes.

And then I opened up the box of end links and they are the WRONG ONES GOD drat IT. I ordered the right ones, they just decided to send me the Integra LS end links that are just a threaded rod with some bushings. gently caress!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stuck an induction kit on my 1.25 Zetec Fiesta. Was more or less goaded into it buy a petrolhead friend. It now sounds quite a bit louder whenever I floor the accelerator. Its a bit flashy, a bit neddy and not really my style but its fun. Gives it a bit more of a growl. £40 total. That and I bought a full screwdriver set for £13 so yeah not a bad little improvement.

Said friend was talking about putting a new exhaust on it but that might be a step far. I don't want it kitted out like a Boy Racer mobile. It'll just encourage me to drive too fast.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PBCrunch posted:

Grr.
A couple weeks ago I replaced the alternator in my 1995 Acura Integra SE (a GS-R minus the VTEC motor, it has GS-R suspension).

So your brother finally convinced you to trade cars, hunh?

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Took the Yaris to my first auto-x. A drat fun time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTObyj83Wo

Yes I might be slightly brain damaged.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Podothehobbit posted:

Took the Yaris to my first auto-x. A drat fun time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTObyj83Wo

Yes I might be slightly brain damaged.

You auto-xed a Yaris?

loving Awesome

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Auto-x is for everyone, for every car. It's loving great.

How'd the Yaris do against its competition? I'm guessing you were in a pretty big class, with lots of oddball cars as rivals.

Also, from the video it looks like the track wardens aren't keeping up with the pylons that get knocked down, and that they're running more than 1 car on the track at a time... who sanctioned that event?

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

You auto-xed a Yaris?

loving Awesome

That's what I said!

ExecuDork posted:

Auto-x is for everyone, for every car. It's loving great.

How'd the Yaris do against its competition? I'm guessing you were in a pretty big class, with lots of oddball cars as rivals.

Also, from the video it looks like the track wardens aren't keeping up with the pylons that get knocked down, and that they're running more than 1 car on the track at a time... who sanctioned that event?

Surprisingly I fell right in the middle third of the overall times. I was in the ST class with my suspension modifications but I had no illusions I would be competitive and was just happy not to hit one cone or DNF on any of my runs.

The pylons were actually fine, the course doubled back onto itself so there was ample use of signal cones which might be what you saw. Once we made our return pass by the starting gate we were free to release another car with no danger of a car to car collision. This was a SCCA sanctioned event in Phoenix.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Grashnak posted:

I got my car back from the repairers earlier in the week so I spent a total of about 6 hours over the weekend giving it a proper clean. It almost looks brand new now except for all the rock chips in the paint work.

Before:

After:

That is loving sexy as hell and that paint looks amazing for its age. My car's only 3 years older and it has clear-coat failure all over the place.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Grashnak posted:

Before:

After:

Single stage paint owns hard. Oxidation? Just buff a few microns off and it's like new!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Grashnak posted:

Before:

After:

God drat I'm getting hot and bothered looking at your car.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

So your brother finally convinced you to trade cars, hunh?
Yes, but in a different way. I sold my 1998 Ford ZX2 to my friend/his daughter. I traded my 1992 Honda Accord to my brother for his 1995 Integra.

Then my wife and I bought a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 4x4 four door.

I still have the 1995 Lexus SC400 and my wife still has her 2000 Honda Accord EX five-speed coupe.

Technically I still have the ZX2. My friend gave me half the money for it and asked me to keep driving it and shake it out before he drives it down to Arizona for her.

Today I installed an Alpine CD player with aux input and iPod cable into previously mentioned 1999 Jeep.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Took me two days to swap wheels from my 325is to my M3. The dreaded E36 rotor and hub corrosion strikes again!

DEAR PREVIOUS OWNER: THANKS SO MUCH FOR NOT PUTTING ANTI-SEIZE ON THE HUB BEFORE APPLYING SPACERS. THANKS AGAIN, <3

After two days of soaking with PB Blaster, pounding the living poo poo out of them with deadblow hammers, attempting to pry with chisels and screwdrivers, I finally drilled and tapped M10 bolt holes and used a bolt to press them off the hub face. Fuuuuuuck. I've never dealt with metal so thoroughly corroded together.

In related news, I found out the wheel spacers from the PO are actually 18mm, not 12mm as claimed, and thus I should be able to switch them out to run better offsets in the front and eliminate the slight tire rub in front.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?
Drove it on E while late for work and hoping not to run out on the way there.

It got me to and fro. And I clocked in on time.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Finally getting around to tape striping and turbo decaling my XT. Unfortunately the exterior repaint claimed the factory decals, and I have not been able to find replacements.

Got these on eBay from a Turbo Shelby for 99 cents, it's worth a shot to see if they're good. I have my tape stripe design ready to go.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Paid that bitch off. :smug:

God it felt good doing it too.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took the 325is to get new tires. Goodyear Eagle GT 205/60/15 V rated, on the stock wheels. MUCH better than the no-name tires that were on there before. The new ones don't have a "whump" at 25mph or a vibration at 35. Monday, new radiator fan goes in.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Lexi nooooo :qq:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Sorry for the lovely cell phone pics, I was on the side of the road hoping I wouldn't die. Besides getting new ball joints, should I swap out other poo poo while it's at the shop? Control arms, tie rods, maybe new bushings? It has 191k (km) on the clock, and I have absolutely no idea when the previous owners did them.

edit: goddamn that's a lot of corrosion, gently caress Canadian winters and road salt

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 15, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Finally got around to changing out my front seatbelts. I couldn't be arsed to argue with the local Honda dealership about some 20-year-old recall that might or might not apply in Canada, and today's weather was nice, so I ran out to a junkyard I'd been to before that I know has at least one old Prelude to scavenge from.

It took me about an hour to rip out enough of the interior of this donor vehicle, also an '88, to get all parts of both front seatbelts out. They're the wrong colour, black instead of blue, but the extend-retract action is smooth, the belts are not frayed or stained, and most importantly (relative to what they're replacing), the buckle / unbuckle action is perfect. The old ones in my car don't give up easily, which means I end up groping my passenger helping them get out of the car.

Amusingly enough, today's trip to the 'yard almost payed for itself. The pair of belts cost $10, but in the process of demolishing the interior, I found $7.12. Plus a distressing amount of dog hair, heavily preserved foods, and a presumably intact in-the-wrapper condom. And a knife. Junkyards are weird.

I was much more careful getting my own seats out, of course. The distressing volume of filth under my seat is still visible even when looking down through the sunroof.

The dirt behind the quarter panel did not succumb to the vaccuum cleaner so easily. Oddly enough, the donor car in the junkyard had fairly clean urethane sheets.

I was surpised to find this Triumph at the junkyard. The engine, steering wheel, headlights / grill / bumper are missing, but somebody will be looking for those body panels, I'm sure.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Honda

Sheez, I've seen worse preludes in my area being sold for $2000

I wish I had a decent pick-n-pull... I'm looking at some interior pieces and places want drat near dealer new retail.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I dropped my car off at the tire shop to have a nail removed and the tire patched up. My friend picked me up to give me a ride back home, and on the way we visited a VW swap meet show, wrenched on his other car, got the other car tooling around and jumped it a few times from my Eliminator kit once we realized its battery was flat and not charging well.

So, nothing done on my car but it still turned out pretty well.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
I bought it!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Cheap Bourbon posted:

Sheez, I've seen worse preludes in my area being sold for $2000

I wish I had a decent pick-n-pull... I'm looking at some interior pieces and places want drat near dealer new retail.

Where are you, that you don't have junkyards? Some of the finest automotive graveyards I've encountered have been on the outskirts of small towns. Big cities tend to have a combination of high property values & taxes and strict environmental regulations, while pick-n-pull operations need lots and lots of land and tend to accumulate large amounts of nasty things like old tires and oil-soaked soil, not to mention the need to run heavy equipment at all hours and a clientele that almost by definition will arrive in cars lacking some of the luxury options.

Drive for 30 to 60 minutes on a major highway of your choice, then start looking for a small-to-medium sized town. Go into said town, find a phone book, and look up "automobile wrecking" or "automobile recycling". You might have to try a few before you find one with a carcass suitable for your purposes, but depending on how rare your car is, I'd be surprised if you met with total failure on any single day.

\/\/\/ Could easily be a Fiat. All of the badges are also missing, it looked rather Triumph-like ("triumphant"?) to me but I know little about such cars.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 16, 2010

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Found some 370cc injectors from a q45 at the local wrecker. Bought all 8 for $50, hope to sell the 4 I don't need for $50 to recoup my costs.

KA-T here I come!

ExecuDork posted:

I was surpised to find this Triumph at the junkyard.

Pretty sure that's a Fiat X1/9

Gene Rod N Berries
Feb 24, 2006

welcum 2 mah realm

good work radium

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 16, 2010

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Weed Coach posted:

good work radium

Loving that candy paint!

Ninja Edit: gently caress! Mods??

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Where are you, that you don't have junkyards?

Drive for 30 to 60 minutes on a major highway of your choice, then start looking for a small-to-medium sized town. Go into said town, find a phone book, and look up "automobile wrecking" or "automobile recycling". You might have to try a few before you find one with a carcass suitable for your purposes, but depending on how rare your car is, I'd be surprised if you met with total failure on any single day.

Got a few here (540 representin') but they're going all big city where "I need a shift interlock solenoid and I'll rip it out myself" to "We'll sell you the entire steering column"

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Changed the oil in my RDX for the first time since I bought it today. The Honda oil filter on it was retarded. For some reason they make the end that you'd grab with an oil wrech (either the socket kind or any other kind for that matter) smaller than the actual filter. This makes it too small to remove with the clamp style and smaller than the socket style that fits on every other brand of filter that fits the RDX. I finally had to just take my biggest adjustable wrench and finagle it off. On top of that whoever did it tightened the living hell out of everything involved in an oil change, the drain plug, filter, and even the oil cap.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

rockcity posted:

Changed the oil in my RDX for the first time since I bought it today. The Honda oil filter on it was retarded. For some reason they make the end that you'd grab with an oil wrech (either the socket kind or any other kind for that matter) smaller than the actual filter. This makes it too small to remove with the clamp style and smaller than the socket style that fits on every other brand of filter that fits the RDX. I finally had to just take my biggest adjustable wrench and finagle it off. On top of that whoever did it tightened the living hell out of everything involved in an oil change, the drain plug, filter, and even the oil cap.

This works pretty well in a lot of difficult situations:

http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-3-jaw-adjustable-oil-filter-wrench-99629.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

This works pretty well in a lot of difficult situations:

http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-3-jaw-adjustable-oil-filter-wrench-99629.html

Wow, that thing is pretty awesome. That would have worked great. It's not so much an issue now as pretty much every other filter isn't designed like that and my filter socket adapter will work fine.