Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sneak preview:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Currently hoping that my battery recharges nicely :ohdear:

I parked it quick and ran in, didn't go back in the garage for about an hour, saw a faint glow in the dark garage. Turns out I left the key in and in the on position, so the faint glow was my now very dim headlight :( The clock even reset at some point. It's on the charger now, guess we'll see how it goes. It doesn't even do the startup check right now, just a flicker of the dash light and low oil pressure light then done.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Tried to destroy it. :ughh:

I apologize for this in advance. See below for tl;dr:

So, where do I start? OK, well here we go. So awhile back I changed out my intake from a high flow back to the stock air cleaner because the high flow stuck out too far and made it uncomfortable on my right leg while riding.

As a result, I the carb was jetted too rich. I knew it was too rich but I have another Keihen carb that I rebuilt, cleaned up and jetted to match the stock air cleaner that I was going to put on.

A combination of just wanting to ride, changing cosmetic things and laziness delayed the switch out. :downs:

As a result, I went to check the plugs tonight to see how they looked. Pulled the plugs, and they looked a little sooty. Went to the parts store and grabbed a couple new plugs. Keep in mind that changing out the carb would have probably taken the same amount of time as changing the plugs. WTF is wrong with me?

So get the plugs home, put the front one in no prob. Go to put the rear plug in and I don't know if the threads were already marred up, there was some gunk in the threads or what but I'm threading it in and it starts cross threading. Also, I'm doing this while the heads are still hot from riding it. Not smart. So I pull it back out, check the threads and they don't look great. Clean them up, lube up the plug and put it back in but the drat thing just will NOT go in straight. I have no idea how these threads got so messed up. Eventually, I get the plug in but it's harder going in that it should be.

Start up the bike and it's only firing on one cylinder. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

So, I pull the plug back out and try to thread the old one back in. Get it in and fire up the bike and still sputtering...only firing on one. I'm completely hosed at this point.

So, I head to the auto parts store and grab a thread chaser. Just for the hell of it I grab two new plugs, too.

Get home, try to run the thread chaser in...wrong size. God damnit! gently caress it, take the new plug out, thread it into the rear cylinder, fire up the bike. Still no good.

Ahh the hell with it, might as well replace the front plug (that has a brand new one in it), Put the new plug in, fire up the bike. Runs perfectly. :bang:

tl;dr: I'm stupid. Replaced plugs. hosed up threads on one of the heads. Thought it ruined bike. Turned out to be red herring. Bad plug on front cylinder that was brand new.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well, my charger still says its charging as of this morning, but it goes through the checks and the lights come on and everything now. I also checked the voltage and it was 12.98 but was slowly dropping by a hundredth every couple seconds as I was checking :( It's the only time I've deep cycled that battery and it's a little less than 2 years old. I normally put it on the trickle charger whenever I'm not going to be riding for a while, will it be ok or should I be looking for a new battery today? :(

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Battery is fully charged, measured at a little over 13V, seems to be holding steady. I guess the question is, will it hold charge now :(

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Turn the key on and see how fast/far the voltage drops, and whether it stabilizes after turning it back off.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I put it back in, measured around 12.8 before I turned it on, dropped down to like 12.3, went up a bit to 12.3, stabilized, turned it off, went back up to around 12.8 again

I'm guessing it is OK then? I'm not really sure how motorcycle batteries are supposed to behave :sweatdrop:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

lancemantis posted:

Battery is fully charged, measured at a little over 13V, seems to be holding steady. I guess the question is, will it hold charge now :(

Yeah it'll be fine. :)

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
Tore down the front caliper to clean and install some HH-sintered pads on my EX500. What do I see on the existing pads that have 50% left? "HH" :doh: At least I have pads for a few thousand miles down the road :v:

Cleaned and re-greased the pins and plastic piston inserts, then threw on a new Galfer SS line. Holy poo poo is the lever firm now. I wasn't worried about stopping power before, I just needed more pull than I felt comfortable with to get hard braking. Now lever resistance starts where the rubber line would still be feeling like squeezing a stress ball. Response is extremely linear now and much more confidence-inspiring.

Only negative is that the supposed model specific kit could probably lose 2-3" of hose length, but it might come in handy once I decide whether to go for bar risers.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

AncientTV posted:

If you didn't see the first response, just buy generic brand lighter fluid. It's the same thing and waaaay cheaper.
Goof Off is like $5 a can and it lasts for years. I guess if you're living on saltines and water you might want to save the $2 and buy the lighter fluid.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

NipplesTheCat posted:

Last night, I decided to change the left radiator hose on my gen 1 sv650.

gently caress japanese engineers.

Lesson learned: Radiator hoses installed in the correct direction hold pressure. Radiator hoses installed backwards spew water all over the god drat place.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Fantastipotamus posted:

Goof Off is like $5 a can and it lasts for years. I guess if you're living on saltines and water you might want to save the $2 and buy the lighter fluid.

My local hardware store is on something then. $10 here.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

NipplesTheCat posted:

Lesson learned: Radiator hoses installed in the correct direction hold pressure. Radiator hoses installed backwards spew water all over the god drat place.

LOL this seems weird to me unless there were some odd angles going on if installed incorrectly

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

AncientTV posted:

My local hardware store is on something then. $10 here.
Hmm.. Yeah, it's definitely not that much around here.. though I could see it being ridiculously expensive at a mom & pop. Normally I don't mind the "Mom & Pop Markup" but 100% markup is a bit excessive.

If you don't need it immediately, it's like $4.30 off amazon.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

lancemantis posted:

LOL this seems weird to me unless there were some odd angles going on if installed incorrectly

Suzuki made a special hose so they could charge me 20 bucks for rubber with special bends in it.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

NipplesTheCat posted:

Suzuki made a special hose so they could charge me 20 bucks for rubber with special bends in it.

That bend is there so you can push the radiator forward in order to get to the front spark plug.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
Finally installed the new exhaust on my SV, Yoshimura RS3 full System I had picked up used this winter. Looks good sounds amazing and should give me a decent HP bump once I get the carbs set up. Also added an Aztec 8 single headlight and flyscreen. Have to get turn signals and get my vapor gauges wired up, almost there.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Z3n posted:

If I were running that bike on the street I'd probably run a handlebar kit for it...

I'll agree handlebars are ten times more convenient and comfortable for street riding I just love the low mean look that clip-ons give the bike.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
On the VFR: Took off the rear pegs, and the rear grab bars, disabled the PAIR and disabled the Flapper valve. The fueling seems about perfect stock with these two things disabled.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Picked it up from the shop! It's finally fixed, no more FI error light! Only took 6 months, but still, :neckbeard:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Picked it up from the shop! It's finally fixed, no more FI error light! Only took 6 months, but still, :neckbeard:

What finally fixed it?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It was a wiring issue apparently.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It was a wiring issue apparently.

gently caress, don't you just love that?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Here4DaGangBang posted:

gently caress, don't you just love that?

Oh yes. But it's all good now, new throttle bodies have been fitted, all is well. Plus, now that it's got functioning secondary throttles again, the mental intake growl is back.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I found the cause of my 650 Seca's lean running. Finally. FINALLY!

Back around last fall I tore down the carbs and cleaned everything out. They weren't too bad but I figured it was time. Unfortunately when I put them back on the bike it wouldn't idle and basically exhibited all the symptoms of running lean. gently caress.

So I dicked around a bit, and then decided (after reading a lot on xjbikes) that I had a leak at the butterfly shafts. So I got the right seals, installed them and... still lean. By this time it was getting to be early winter and I had hosed up the synchronization to the point where it was totally unridable and basically hit 10000 RPM as soon as it was started. So it got covered and mostly forgotten.

Until last week. I pulled the carbs, did a real bench sync with feelers, and reinstalled them. Better, and ridable, but still lean. So I set about loving with the mixture. Better still, and more ridable, but still not very good. It wouldn't idle and had the annoying habit of staying at whatever RPM it was at when I closed the throttle while riding.

So tonight I got to trolling through xjbikes again, looking at Colortune threads. Nothing new here. Except... what's this about pulling the inline filter? I remembered I had put the filter from my Goldwing on the XJ; it had seemed pretty free flowing, and the ones on my BMW had always been fine. But the Goldwing filter is for a system with a fuel pump. So I pulled it and: victory!

The lean behavior seems to be gone- I now have nice things like engine braking and the revs drop as I close the throttle. The idle is still poo poo, since it still has the settings from when the filter was in place, but that should go away once I redo the mixture. The major issue is gone and I am a happy guy now.

The moral: don't use filters designed for pressurized systems in a gravity fed system. Duh.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

AnnoyBot posted:

The moral: don't use filters designed for pressurized systems in a gravity fed system. Duh.

Or, you know, don't add parts that weren't there in the first place unless you know what you're doing. Or make one change at a time. Or undo the change you made as a first step to fixing the problem.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

oh gently caress me. I had an FI error on my SV just this week. I just kept flipping the killswitch on and off until it went away and it started like normal. Looks like I need to check out some wiring.

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

MY FURSONA IS SQUISHFACED
Broke it :downs:
Ran around on it sat, noticed it was getting awfully hot and the fan was kicking in allot, (27C day). Tried gearing up and running the engine cooler, might have helped a bit. Ran it at night, perfect temps.

So the next I decided to investigate all the little problems on my bike: the possible overheating, the weak front brakes, and the squeaky rear brakes.
First I ran it to normal opperating temps and check coolant levels, which were spot on. Hmm... Maybe it's old coolant? Will flush and replace later.
Rear brake is, upon inspection, in immaculate condition, if over used. Overused because.... dun dun dun... the front brake is hooped in 3 different ways!
The brake pads are in immaculate condition as well, minus being covered in thick dirty oil. Welp. No wonder braking was such a chore. Will buy brake cleaner and clean that poo poo up. Maybe somebody is trying to off me. :tinfoil:
Flushed the brake lines to get rid of the bubbles, and the old brake fluid. Is it supposed to be milk-chocolaty brown?
And finally, attempted to bend back the brake lever as, in the before times, the bike was dropped and made the brake lever U shaped and unreachable by anybody with long cucumber fingers like my own. *Bang Bang Bang Click* Hunh. I guess they weren't steel. Rather, they are aluminum, and now in two pieces. Double welp.

tl;dr somebody is trying to kill me and I broke my brake lever.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Installed the spools I've had for my Ninja 250 since Christmas. I attempted to install them a few months ago, but they wouldn't thread into the holes. The holes had so much paint in them that I had to run a tap through them to clean them out; a thread chaser wasn't doing it. It took me until now to finally give up finding an M10x1.25 tap locally and just order one from McMaster-Carr. $19 later and I have spools.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OdinAllfather posted:

Will buy brake cleaner and clean that poo poo up. Maybe somebody is trying to off me. :tinfoil:

I hope you mean clean up the disc, and you are going to buy new pads, right? RIGHT?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

schreibs posted:

oh gently caress me. I had an FI error on my SV just this week. I just kept flipping the killswitch on and off until it went away and it started like normal. Looks like I need to check out some wiring.

Don't worry about loving about with the wiring yet. You need to jump the dealer diagnostic connector (only need to stick a piece of wire or paper clip between two the pins) to see what the error code is. It'll most likely be the TPS if it went away and didn't really effect anything, Suzuki uses lovely TPSes and shares them across a bunch of bikes.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Don't worry about loving about with the wiring yet. You need to jump the dealer diagnostic connector (only need to stick a piece of wire or paper clip between two the pins) to see what the error code is. It'll most likely be the TPS if it went away and didn't really effect anything, Suzuki uses lovely TPSes and shares them across a bunch of bikes.

Thanks, I had the wire all ready since I found out how to check the dealer codes this weekend but I was unable to reproduce the FI error since it happened (twice) on Saturday leaving me momentarily stranded with a new group waiting for me to figure out how to start my bike. :eng99:

I am now back to the see no evil, be no evil mindset for maintenance that has probably put me into this predicament in the first place.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

OdinAllfather posted:

Flushed the brake lines to get rid of the bubbles, and the old brake fluid. Is it supposed to be milk-chocolaty brown?
Don't know if you're joking, but no. Fresh brake fluid is clear and almost colourless, and as it gets older it starts to look like tea, then coffee.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mathturbator posted:

Don't know if you're joking, but no. Fresh brake fluid is clear and almost colourless, and as it gets older it starts to look like tea, then coffee.

Sure it looks like that .. if he dumped milk chocolate in it!

Doctor Zero posted:

I hope you mean clean up the disc, and you are going to buy new pads, right? RIGHT?

Seconding this. You NEED new brake pads, the oil covered ones are ruined.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 17, 2010

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Did it Saturday, but some HIDs and an oil change :)

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I've been disassembling the carbs to rebuild them for my bike, but jesus christ there are some screws that I am convinced have melded with the metal to become one. I've let them sit with PB blaster overnight, took an impact driver to them, and then promptly stripped them. I'm going to have to try drilling and ez-out-ing these screws and with luck that'll work, otherwise I'll have to drill out and re-tap these, which will be a big pain in the rear end. I guess that's what happens when a bike sits in the weather for 10 years.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The boot on my shifter has been working off again so I glued it to see if that helps. They may be inexpensive but that doesn't mean I want to buy another one.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Spent $25 on a single 1 7/8" socket to get my back wheel off. It's huge!

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

MY FURSONA IS SQUISHFACED

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Seconding this. You NEED new brake pads, the oil covered ones are ruined.

Crap. I totally thought that I could soak them in a bowl of brake cleaner.
Ho well, off to more vintage bike websites to spend more money.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I put fuel in my sv this morning.. and it started running smoother and just felt... better.

Guess I put some dodgy gas in it last time or something. (new rider too, first bike.. 3rd or 4th tank of gas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
If the last owner let it sit for any amount of time, there could have been a slight amount of gunk that took its time to work through the carbs.