Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
What an idiot. He's going to be in the hospital for a couple more days and he's on morphine right now. He was going 45 and my dad says he looks like absolute poo poo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Whiteboy posted:

What an idiot. He's going to be in the hospital for a couple more days and he's on morphine right now. He was going 45 and my dad says he looks like absolute poo poo right now.

First, glad he's (largely) okay.

Second, :ughh: I don't think I've ever advised this before, but if he doesn't seem to be accepting the fact that he's an idiot, maybe you should talk him into giving up riding before he kills himself.

Good luck you you and him!

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Ok his bike looks pretty drat good. The left side is where it went down at and the fairings took a few scrapes and a couple bolts holding them together snapped but that's about it. The case cover on the left got grinded pretty good and is leaking oil and the turn signals snapped off.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

That's what the genius was wearing when the ER cut them off.

I just talked with my dad and apparently he was legitly ran off the road by an old couple in a car who didn't see him. He was cut off and had to swerve onto the sidewalk to avoid smashing into them and he ended up flying off the bike and rolling down the sidewalk. He has a lot of witnesses who saw what happened so hopefully those other people have insurance to cover all this. They ended up getting chased down and brought back to the scene because they didn't know what happened. A nice bystander also was kind enough to wheel my brothers bike into a parking lot so it didn't get towed or anything. I'll try and get a picture of my brother if I can.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Whiteboy posted:

That's what the genius was wearing when the ER cut them off.

Are those . . . pink short shorts? :gay:

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Tsaven Nava posted:

Are those . . . pink short shorts? :gay:

Hah, it was just a red t-shirt but camera phone+funky carpet makes it look weird.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

"I've crashed twice now without gear on, just busted my leg and got at little road rash. I don't know why you guys need all the leather stuff"

Glad you brother is ok. My younger bro also has an R6 and pretty much only rides with a lid and gloves. He has a nice textile jacket that he absolutely refuses to put on because its to "tight" I.E. it fits him perfectly.

Did you're bother have a helmet?

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah he did otherwise he'd probably be in a lot worse shape.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I watched motorcycles go by when I was mowing yesterday, and about 4 out of 20 had helmets and no one had gear. I don't get it. My uncle died from a brain bleed from wrecking a scooter without a helmet and my sister was an ER nurse, so I've heard too many gruesome stories to be willing to ride without gear.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw a guy today with a fullface helmet, jacket, and shorts. WTF?

And a guy on an older BMW R-bike in a polo shirt, khakis, and a modular helmet flipped up.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I'm in Florida, so I'm used to seeing gearless riders, but I saw someone the other day in full leathers AND NO HELMET.

It was like 90 degrees, so it wasn't for the cool-factor. I don't even know.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

AncientTV posted:

I'm in Florida... full leathers AND NO HELMET.
It was like 90 degrees...

I'm guessing he got so hot in the full leathers that his helmet shot off from the steam pressure.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Conveniently, he had a do-rag mask thing underneath with a skull printed on the front :rolleyes:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Guess full leathers and no helmet is the perfect organ donation suit. When your head gets smashed off they just put your fully protected carcass in the bus and take you to the hospital for dismantling.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Oh man his road rash isn't nearly as bad as I was thinking.

Slightly scraped up leg so don't click if you can't view that at work or something.
http://molarity.mirror.waffleimages.com/sa/70/70577cbe58c11bb2039b921ca3b06faac3b0464e.jpg

Oh and his excuse for no gear? "it was hot"...it was like 80 degrees.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Whiteboy posted:

Oh man his road rash isn't nearly as bad as I was thinking.

Slightly scraped up leg so don't click if you can't view that at work or something.
http://molarity.mirror.waffleimages.com/sa/70/70577cbe58c11bb2039b921ca3b06faac3b0464e.jpg

Oh and his excuse for no gear? "it was hot"...it was like 80 degrees.

For the love of... it's reasoning like your brother's that will push states to pass even more laws to protect morons from themselves.

In Michigan in addition to the helmet law, we have an eye protection law as well. If you are going over 35 MPH you must have a windscreen or eye protection. I sort of wish they would pass a law requiring additional protection. I'm sick of paying out the rear end for motorcycle insurance because of the retards that refuse to wear proper gear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Crayvex posted:

For the love of... it's reasoning like your brother's that will push states to pass even more laws to protect morons from themselves.

In Michigan in addition to the helmet law, we have an eye protection law as well. If you are going over 35 MPH you must have a windscreen or eye protection. I sort of wish they would pass a law requiring additional protection. I'm sick of paying out the rear end for motorcycle insurance because of the retards that refuse to wear proper gear.

I'd agree but even high coverage motorcycle insurance is so cheap it seems like almost a moot point, which is why I'm pretty meh about most gear laws. Although it's nice to not have to stare at some guy's brains when I'm stopped at the scene of an accident.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I'm all for wearing gear, but I completely oppose it being mandatory. If morons want to take themselves out of the gene pool I think we should give them every avenue and opportunity we can. Other things I support are repealing seatbelt laws and removing warning stickers from bleach and other household chemicals.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Bike insurance is expensive because squids wreck their GIXXERS and then run up $4000 comprehensive coverage bills fixing all the plastics, not because they get dangerously close to taking themselves out of the gene pool. That just drives up your health-insurance premiums and even then its negligible compared to the legions of geezers that have more chemicals in them than a DuPont plant.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Yeah yeah I know the math doesn't add up perfectly but it doesn't keep it from pissing me off.

I had three bikes last year. Each bike in Michigan requires a Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association charge of $125 per bike. The drat policy charge was $95 or cheaper per bike. WTF?

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_mcca_25093_7.pdf
(From above)
Michigan is the only state that offers unlimited personal injury protection benefits. These benefits are offered through no-fault auto insurance policies. The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA) reimburses no-fault auto insurers for benefits that exceed $400,000, as of July 1, 2006.

Each year, the MCCA analyzes the amount needed to cover the lifetime claims of all people catastrophically injured in a car accident. This analysis includes review of the investment return that the fund receives, medical cost inflation, and any changes to coverages.

So yes, my motorcycle insurance is affected by retards who file catastrophic claims.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
That seems like a very bad piece of government policy

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
I only have the bare minimum insurance on my bike that covers me hitting other people as required by law. If it gets stolen/I crash it, I'm SOL. Maybe that's why I baby it :)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Gear laws are just like seat belt laws. It's stupid, because if you can't be intelligent enough to take proper precautions, well, that should be your right. You're allowed to develop cancer and die a slow, painful death smoking, so why not on a bike.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Gear laws are just like seat belt laws. It's stupid, because if you can't be intelligent enough to take proper precautions, well, that should be your right. You're allowed to develop cancer and die a slow, painful death smoking, so why not on a bike.

And yet seat belt use skyrocketed when it became a primary offense.

Smokers pay a huge tax whenever they buy a pack of smokes. As a non-smoker I don't pay that tax. (Those taxes are supposed to cover the extra costs of smokers killing themselves)

If you don't wear gear, you should have to pay more for insurance. Heck, if they gave discounts for wearing a full face helmet and other gear I bet less people would be wearing sandals.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

redscare posted:

legions of geezers that have more chemicals in them than a DuPont plant.

We would have also accepted Bhopal in this analogy.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Insurance discounts for wearing gear would be a nightmare to effectively police for the insurance companies.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Insurance discounts for wearing gear would be a nightmare to effectively police for the insurance companies.

No, it would be extremely simple. Not wearing your gear and attempting to make a claim for an injury that may have been prevented by proper gear leads to your claim being denied. For example, that skull fracture because you were wearing a novelty helmet? Too bad. The road rash on your rear end because you rode in mesh basketball shorts? Same thing.

Of course, by the same logic, supersport riders should get a discount for installing frame sliders since the expensive plastic fairings won't get destroyed.

Advocate for it and it could happen. Hell, most motorcycle insurance policies offer trailer coverage. For when you're trailering the bike to STURGIS with the odometer hooked up to the trailer.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

laymil posted:

Of course, by the same logic, supersport riders should get a discount for installing frame sliders since the expensive plastic fairings won't get destroyed.

This is actually a pretty brilliant idea that would probably save the insurance companies a shitload of money

the_reject
May 30, 2002

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I wouldn't think so. The insurance company could say that if you are ATGATT, your rate is $XXX. If you're not, your rate is $YYY. If you get into an accident while on the discounted ATGATT rate, and you aren't geared up, automatic denial of claim - you cover all costs. Sign here, here, and here, initial here and here. Legal enough to stand up in court. If some insurance companies are willing to cancel your policy because you take your car or bike out to the local track for a non-timed, non-competitive track day, surely they'd jump on the chance to deny you coverage simply because you weren't fully suited up.

Sure, proper riding attire could be argued, but that's what the pamphlet with all the fine print is for.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Like insurance companies need more ways to rape their customers.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

lwoodio posted:

Like insurance companies need more ways to rape their customers.

Wait ... you get rape with your policy? I don't even get that. :smith:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

laymil posted:

:words:

the_reject posted:

:words:

These arguments are sound and reasonable, but you need to check your premises.

I think you are forgetting we live in a world with lawyers.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

the_reject posted:

If some insurance companies are willing to cancel your policy because you take your car or bike out to the local track for a non-timed, non-competitive track day

I've heard of companies cancelling warranties over track time, but not insurance companies canceling policies except in cases where it was fraud (e.g. guy wrecks on track, makes it look like he wrecked on a street to file a claim since insurance doesn't cover track time)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Frame sliders don't do enough to protect your plastics to justify a discount. Some bikes they dont help at all. They protect the frame.

Also, Whiteboy, you may need to mentally write your brother off as a loss. Sorry.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

I'm all for wearing gear, but I completely oppose it being mandatory. If morons want to take themselves out of the gene pool I think we should give them every avenue and opportunity we can. Other things I support are repealing seatbelt laws and removing warning stickers from bleach and other household chemicals.

I say this every time it comes up, but the problems arise when you don't quite manage to finish the job and can't cover the loving huge cost of a brain injury or paralysis.

Requiring something like a helmet is, in my opinion, a reasonable compromise between freedom and an outright ban on dangerous activities.

the_reject
May 30, 2002

redscare posted:

I've heard of companies cancelling warranties over track time, but not insurance companies canceling policies except in cases where it was fraud (e.g. guy wrecks on track, makes it look like he wrecked on a street to file a claim since insurance doesn't cover track time)
I haven't checked the T's and C's with my bike policy (Dairyland), but I know that USAA will cancel my car policy for trackdays, timed or untimed. The verbiage used is vague enough that even an autocross meet would be grounds for them canceling me.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

the_reject posted:

I haven't checked the T's and C's with my bike policy (Dairyland), but I know that USAA will cancel my car policy for trackdays, timed or untimed. The verbiage used is vague enough that even an autocross meet would be grounds for them canceling me.

That makes no sense

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

redscare posted:

That makes no sense

Autocross is a risk, albeit not much for crashing if you're not an idiot, but at least for higher wear on your vehicle.

or (not sure what didnt make sense to you)

Ts and Cs - Terms and Conditions

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

Autocross is a risk, albeit not much for crashing if you're not an idiot, but at least for higher wear on your vehicle.

or (not sure what didnt make sense to you)

Ts and Cs - Terms and Conditions

What makes no sense is why an insurance company would cancel your policy over a track day since they don't normally cover track days anyway. I seriously had never heard of this before now.

Yeah additional wear and tear, but that's out of their purview. Its not like they check to make sure you do your brakes when they wear out and don't ride around on bald tires.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
State Farm covers trackdays. Many insurance providers cover street bikes used at trackdays, just like they'd cover an accident at an MSF ERC. Training courses are usually considered legit for claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_reject
May 30, 2002

redscare posted:

What makes no sense is why an insurance company would cancel your policy over a track day since they don't normally cover track days anyway. I seriously had never heard of this before now.
It's been on my USAA declarations page since 2004. I even think there was a guy at NASIOC that got dropped from USAA several years ago apparently just from asking questions about the policy, even though he had supplemental insurance covering his track days. But the fact of the matter is that several insurance companies have gone from specifically not covering track day-related incidents to threatening to cancel your policy for participating in them at all because of the increased risk they perceive you to be.

• Locked thread