Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Civil posted:

I read the whole set of the OPs, and god drat, I wish my wife would have seen this years ago. I met her during her last year of law school, and even 2 years after her graduation, we are sitting on a massive pile of her school debt. On top of that, she realized that jobs in the legal field paid so low that she ended up getting work as a business consultant (no law degree required) and is making 2x as much as she would have as a lawyer.

If she would have just kept working rather than going to law school, we'd probably be around $300,000 above where we are right now. That's not an exaggeration.

Even before seeing this thread, I knew law school was a very bad idea for most people. My wife now actively talks people out of going to law school, and resents her mother for talking her into going to law school, just so she could brag that her daughter is a lawyer.

Haha you didn't marry your wife, you married her debt and lovely job prospects

Two words: Due Diligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

:pwn:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

On the plus side, now your wife can think like a lawyer - who can put a price on a valuable skill like that?

$150,000

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Incredulous Red posted:

Haha you didn't marry your wife, you married her debt and lovely job prospects

Business consulting isn't a lovely job prospect. It pays more than lawyering.

But yeah, the debt, it sucks. We'll have it knocked out in a few years, but only because I'm pretty much debt-free and I make okay money. I know a couple that married out of law school, and I know they're hurting pretty bad, since they both ended up with clerking positions in a smaller city, which means they're probably making $70 - 80k combined.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

$150,000

Not worth it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ersatz posted:

I completed a note this semester defending mandated network neutrality against potential First Amendment claims (counterintuitively, ISPs can be expected, once their administrative law arguments run out, to claim that the FCC's rules interfere with constitutionally protected editorial control). The note hinges on convincing the reader that the concentration of broadband market power is such that intervention is necessary to ensure the smooth operation of the marketplace of ideas. Luckily, communications jurisprudence is relatively sophisticated in the way that it deals with natural monopoly and network effects, so there's a lot out there to work with.

There's probably a lot of overlap in the direction of our arguments and I imagine that many of my sources would be useful to you. Feel free to send me an email and I can provide more, but Itheil de Sola Pool's Technologies of Freedom, Nuechterlien and Weiser's Digital Crossroads: American Telecommunications Policy in the Internet Age, Lessig's The Future of Ideas, and Zuckman's hornbook, Modern Communications Law, were all very helpful in producing the note. In terms of case law, I'd closely read Turner I & Turner II to understand the pro-regulatory communications law arguments that the Supreme Court has recently found persuasive. They generally revolve around the threat posed by market power over physical infrastructure.

I haven't taken antitrust, so I can't help you there, but your argument sounds like a logical extension of the pro-regulatory arguments made in the communications law context.

edit: Also, Lotus v. Borland (holding that a menu command hierarchy is a "method of operation" and therefore cannot be copyrighted) involves an interesting discussion of the impact of network effects on software development and the end user.

Thanks, this looks really helpful. I'll download the articles and re-read The Future of Ideas.

I figured there must be stuff about natural monopolies in either the law and economics or communications law journals, so this is also useful.

I have to do more research, but from what little I know I think some of the early telephone interconnection stuff is probably going to be helpful for me. While it has the added degree of complexity of physical infrastructure, the underlying dynamics of network effects seem fairly analogous.

Could you email me your paper (petey@somethingawful.com)? I won't be able to look at this stuff right away but I will drop you a line if I have any questions. Thanks again!

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

We;ve been doing pretty good, last few weeks:
NG Attempt murder, that case, and a 11550. I wish i could claim one of those.

Now 4-0 in last 4 trials. Get crackin' buddy.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Civil posted:

On top of that, she realized that jobs in the legal field paid so low that she ended up getting work as a business consultant (no law degree required) and is making 2x as much as she would have as a lawyer.

Is that actually a viable alternative to practicing law? Or, is that her falling back on her undergrad/former life?

Alternatively, does anyone know how I could set up a business consulting school to hand out BC degrees and charge $30,000 a year for the privilege of attending? Haven't you guys heard, it pays better than the legal field! :eng101:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Torpor posted:

Is that actually a viable alternative to practicing law? Or, is that her falling back on her undergrad/former life?

Alternatively, does anyone know how I could set up a business consulting school to hand out BC degrees and charge $30,000 a year for the privilege of attending? Haven't you guys heard, it pays better than the legal field! :eng101:

If you have any sort of technical degree, even stuff not related to IT (ex: any sort of of engineering, physics, math) Deloitte's consulting wing will pay you ~60+k/year to be a "Business Technology Analyst".

Of course, you'll be 100% travel (think George Clooney's character in 'Up In The Air') and 50-60 hour/week grinds, but if you're willing to have no life in order to save up money (or pay off undergrad debt) it's not too terrible... you can also leverage the name brand to get a decent salary job somewhere.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

GregNorc posted:

If you have any sort of technical degree, even stuff not related to IT (ex: any sort of of engineering, physics, math) Deloitte's consulting wing will pay you ~60+k/year to be a "Business Technology Analyst".

Of course, you'll be 100% travel (think George Clooney's character in 'Up In The Air') and 50-60 hour/week grinds, but if you're willing to have no life in order to save up money (or pay off undergrad debt) it's not too terrible... you can also leverage the name brand to get a decent salary job somewhere.

If you have a technical degree on the coasts you can up that by 10-20k with a year or three of experience (including bonus)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

GregNorc posted:

If you have any sort of technical degree

If I only had a technical degree.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Torpor posted:

It's not really an alternative, it's a separate field in most cases, but hers is tangentially related to legal services, which is how she justifies working there instead of practicing law. Her colleagues doing the same thing do not have a law degree. It is roughly what she did prior to law school, which was mostly IT-related project management. A bit of travel, not too much, but this is all straying off topic.

I think most people that get a law degree are highly employable because of the general amount of knowledge and "learning to learn" that law school involves. It's just unfortunate that most entry-level law positions, even if you have passed the bar, are shittier than they should be. I made more starting as an engineer than most lawyers will with 3 yrs more school as I had. It doesn't seem fair, but that's the breaks. For those with law degrees that feel that law work doesn't pay enough, find something else related to your undergrad degree.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Civil posted:

I think most people that get a law degree are highly employable because of the general amount of knowledge and "learning to learn" that law school involves.

"throw together a well-designed outline the week before the final"?

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

evilweasel posted:

"get a well-designed outline from someone else the week before the final"?

This is a more accurate reflection in my experience.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tau posted:

This is a more accurate reflection in my experience.

Law students put together terribly designed but exceptionally complete outlines, but cribbing the actual law from theirs and then organizing it better works pretty well.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

evilweasel posted:

Law students put together terribly designed but exceptionally complete outlines, but cribbing the actual law from theirs and then organizing it better works pretty well.

Perhaps if I make adjustments, I'll get more than B+s... Nah, probably not.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Torpor posted:

If I only had a technical degree.

What is your degree in? What's your GPA?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Civil posted:

that feel that law work doesn't pay enough

I think you're on the border between Trollville and Serioustown.

I was at an interview on Friday and the employers asked me what my "pay expectations" were. I simply asked them if they paid at all. The employer responded, "Yes" and that was an entirely satisfactory answer to that question.

And no, law degree holders are not "highly employable" outside of the law field. I think this thread has ample evidence that a law degree is more of a hindrance than a help when talking about non-legal employment since the prevailing view of society is that a law degree is a golden ticket (so why hire someone who is just going to turn and get a 6 figure job somewhere else right after training).

I think I could get a consultant job at Potter's Distillery since I can just about tell which batch their vodka came out of by sight alone at this point. It's part of Thinking Like A Lawyer, so maybe my education wasn't all for naught.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Petey posted:

I have to do more research, but from what little I know I think some of the early telephone interconnection stuff is probably going to be helpful for me. While it has the added degree of complexity of physical infrastructure, the underlying dynamics of network effects seem fairly analogous.

Could you email me your paper (petey@somethingawful.com)? I won't be able to look at this stuff right away but I will drop you a line if I have any questions. Thanks again!

Sure thing - I just fired off the email. In terms of working by analogy to the phone system, I think that the best source from my first reply is definitely going to be Digital Crossroads. The authors do a fantastic job in that book of explaining the policies behind current communications regulation, with reference to the historical development of the phone system and lessons learned in dealing with natural monopoly and network effects. Their views and their sources are also completely orthodox, so you'll have firm ground to cite from in making your arguments.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Torpor posted:

And no, law degree holders are not "highly employable" outside of the law field. I think this thread has ample evidence that a law degree is more of a hindrance than a help when talking about non-legal employment since the prevailing view of society is that a law degree is a golden ticket (so why hire someone who is just going to turn and get a 6 figure job somewhere else right after training).

I have sent resumes to starbucks, borders, and chipotle. I have not heard back from any of them.

I've also sent resumes to 4 or 5 (non-law related) temp agencies. I have heard back from one of them. They said "sorry, can't help".

yeah a law degree doesn't make you employable bro sorry

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I just found out that a classmate of mine killed himself soon after graduation. He was on law review and was engaged to be married too. And had a job to boot. Law school is awful.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have sent resumes to starbucks, borders, and chipotle. I have not heard back from any of them.

I've also sent resumes to 4 or 5 (non-law related) temp agencies. I have heard back from one of them. They said "sorry, can't help".

yeah a law degree doesn't make you employable bro sorry

http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/vista.asp

Abandon all hope.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sounds like he had something going on other than law school though. As much as things kind of suck for me right now, I have no desire to die. I'll move back in with my parents before I...well, I guess we'll cross that bridge if we get to it actually

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ersatz posted:

Sure thing - I just fired off the email. In terms of working by analogy to the phone system, I think that the best source from my first reply is definitely going to be Digital Crossroads. The authors do a fantastic job in that book of explaining the policies behind current communications regulation, with reference to the historical development of the phone system and lessons learned in dealing with natural monopoly and network effects. Their views and their sources are also completely orthodox, so you'll have firm ground to cite from in making your arguments.

Thanks, got it - I'll give it a read when I get a chance, and I'll definitely check out Digital Crossroads. Tim Wu was working on a book about this that he used to talk about back in 2007 but I don't know what happened to it - sent him an email too, maybe he can be of help.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 20, 2017

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You don't need a JD to do public service work, just go do that now instead of waiting 3 years and spending a hundred thousand dollars.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mrtoodles posted:

Now 4-0 in last 4 trials. Get crackin' buddy.
DA keeps dismissing my poo poo. Very annoying.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/vista.asp posted:

AmeriCorps VISTA

Thirty-seven million Americans live in poverty. Through AmeriCorps VISTA, you can make a tangible difference. And, you’ll find the fulfillment that comes from using your knowledge and skills to help those in disadvantaged circumstances turn their dreams into reality.
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?

AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 and incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993, VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for more than 40 years.
What VISTA Members Do

VISTA members commit to serve full-time for a year at a nonprofit organization or local government agency, working to fight illiteracy, improve health services, create businesses, strengthen community groups, and much more. With passion, commitment, and hard work, you’ll create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. > Learn more

* Read "VISTA: Overcoming Poverty, Building Capacity" (6.67 MB PDF)

The Benefits of VISTA Service

By serving through VISTA, you’ll gain new skills, friends, and experiences—plus you’ll get the satisfaction that comes from helping others. During your service, you’ll also receive a modest living allowance, health care, and other benefits. And, upon completing your service, you can choose to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend. > Learn more
A Proud History of Service

Did you know that President John F. Kennedy came up with the idea for VISTA? Or that the 170,000 VISTAs who have served since 1965 have played a key role in establishing many of the best-known anti-poverty programs, including Head Start, Upward Bound, and the credit union system? > Learn more
Become a VISTA Sponsor

Public, private, and faith-based nonprofit organizations—as well as local, state and federal organizations—can benefit greatly from linking up with AmeriCorps VISTA. Applications for members are handled by Corporation State Offices. Project sponsors are not required to provide a financial match but must be able to direct the project, supervise the members, and provide necessary administrative support to complete the goals and objectives of the project. No JDs need apply.> Learn more
Contact Us

drat, that's harsh.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

poofactory posted:

drat, that's harsh.

lmbo

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
no dogs, irish, or JDs issued since 2007

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

poofactory posted:

drat, that's harsh.

Did you insert the "No JD's" for comedy value or are you getting a different version of that page than I am?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Cormack posted:

Did you insert the "No JD's" for comedy value or are you getting a different version of that page than I am?

I'm pretty sure that's just a subtext. The "no JD's" need not be actually be enumerated.

Duper
Nov 20, 2008

by T. Mascis
gently caress this hope-extinguishing thread. I will get into HLS.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I've been reading this thread for ages now I just want to thank you all for letting me see the wisdom of my ways. I will likely end up starting law school this fall and I'm just glad to know that I will be continuing my life path of being chronically un/underemployed, spiraling into substance abuse and making terrible decisions that lead me into insurmountable debt. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Duper posted:

Why try to get into HLS when you could just, you know, do something productive with your life? The only erroneous part of this thread appears to be the people that regard the legal profession as some sort of bar upon which success is measured. You should be running for your life, but instead you attempt scorn on us posters who have been there and done that. Suit yourself, I guess, but don't say we didn't warn you.

I suppose if you can just run in to Harvard the major concerns of this thread are mitigated. However, if you can get into HLS, why not get into any other Harvard graduate program? I would recommend them first--hell you'll probably be happier regardless of your employment outcomes and paid more.

Whatever happens, good luck.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Duper posted:

and then everything will be roses

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
After four years straight through an evening program with internships interspersed (no pay! :v:), having to do an extra summer because he failed community property, and failing the bar, my husband still thinks he's going to be a lawyer dagnabbit and he'll have a job too.

If he fails the July bar I'm dragging his happy as with me into the field while I work on my MA/PhD in archaeology. He can be my personal sifting bitch.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Save me jeebus posted:

After four years straight through an evening program with internships interspersed (no pay! :v:), having to do an extra summer because he failed community property, and failing the bar, my husband still thinks he's going to be a lawyer dagnabbit and he'll have a job too.

If he fails the July bar I'm dragging his happy as with me into the field while I work on my MA/PhD in archaeology. He can be my personal sifting bitch.

"Just pretend you're sifting through the jagged, broken remains of your pride, honey!"

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Save me jeebus posted:

Want an upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Abugadu posted:

"Just pretend you're sifting through the jagged, broken remains of your pride, honey!"

Hey at least he'd have a job.