Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

GlenMR posted:

Vengance 2003I think? It had a big staredown between Rock and Undertaker at the beginning, and Angle throwing a big tantrum to get them to notice him.

2002, actually. Pretty great match, with a huge ending sequence where everyone hit everybody else's finisher. I think the DVD was strangely a WWEshop.com exclusive, for some reason, which lead to it kind of being overlooked. If I'm remembering correctly, anyway. I think it's on either a Rock or Undertaker DVD, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

El Duke posted:

2002, actually. Pretty great match, with a huge ending sequence where everyone hit everybody else's finisher. I think the DVD was strangely a WWEshop.com exclusive, for some reason, which lead to it kind of being overlooked. If I'm remembering correctly, anyway. I think it's on either a Rock or Undertaker DVD, though.

It's on the WWE Title history dvd and the Rock's. Love the poo poo out of that match. The Undertaker DVD has a great bonus match between Kurt and Taker that happened on Smackdown for the title.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Spikeguy posted:

It's on the WWE Title history dvd and the Rock's. Love the poo poo out of that match. The Undertaker DVD has a great bonus match between Kurt and Taker that happened on Smackdown for the title.

Is that the simultaneous triangle choke/pin match?

Actually I think they did that finish twice. Only they switched the position. And Undertaker tapped out in one of them.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Is that the simultaneous triangle choke/pin match?

Actually I think they did that finish twice. Only they switched the position. And Undertaker tapped out in one of them.

No that's the one where Lesnar interrupted the match, as American Badass.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Pneub posted:

They usually didn't do a random out of place push-up in the middle of a roll for no reason.

Obviously the impact of the stunner was so great that he needed to disperse the force by doing a headstand backflip. Maybe you should date Stone Cold and then post a trip report and we can critique your form as he abuses you.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Brickhouse Betty posted:

This kinda makes me wonder: Who all did Undertaker have good chemistry with? Shawn Michaels, obviously, and maybe Foley. But while he's had good matches with all the others, I don't really recall many great matches not against Michaels or Foley from him. And that's kinda odd, considering how much I like him.

Lesnar, Edge, and most recently Swagger.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CM Junk posted:

Lesnar, Edge, and most recently Swagger.

His stuff with Mysterio was also great I thought.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Jeff Hardy.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

To this day that Ladder match they had is what more than anything sold Jeff Hardy to me as a star. Then I find out about his meth addiction and I can't ever like him again.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
Jesus Christ, did I suffer a brain injury? :psyduck: I THOUGHT I remembered most of these feuds, but I don't remember them being anything special. But looking at all the responses, I am obviously completely wrong. My entire memory of wrestling is a lie.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Brickhouse Betty posted:

Jesus Christ, did I suffer a brain injury? :psyduck: I THOUGHT I remembered most of these feuds, but I don't remember them being anything special. But looking at all the responses, I am obviously completely wrong. My entire memory of wrestling is a lie.

Enjoy:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3vigtYbmqY
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozvssJWrDCk
Post Match Promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpdVh_31fig

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I haven't seen it brought up yet, or maybe it missed it, but Angle and Undertaker had a crazy match at No Way Out in 2006.

Also, as much as I love the promos and the theatrics, when it comes to in ring work, I'm shocked at the lack of chemistry he has at Kane. They've probably wrestled each other a hundred times, and I've never seen a match between them better then okay.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TL posted:

I haven't seen it brought up yet, or maybe it missed it, but Angle and Undertaker had a crazy match at No Way Out in 2006.

Also, as much as I love the promos and the theatrics, when it comes to in ring work, I'm shocked at the lack of chemistry he has at Kane. They've probably wrestled each other a hundred times, and I've never seen a match between them better then okay.

That might have as much to do with their characters and subsequent in-ring mannerisms as it does anything else. Both guys in general seem to do better against smaller guys.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm trying to remember the name of a move, I dont remember who does it, but I think I saw it in ROH a few years ago, and I know someone (possibly a TNA knockout or whatever they call their women wrestler) still uses it.

Wrestler A (who is performing the move) gets wrestler B into the corner, arms by their sides. A grabs both of Bs wrists, raises Bs arms above Bs head and mounts the turnbuckle behind B. A then pushes themself forwards, so B falls facefirst into the mat with A driving their knees into Bs back/neck.

Basically like a turnbuckle bow and arrow into a faceplant. I think it had "Branding" in the name, because I always got it mixed up with Danielsons Cattle Mutilation. It popped into my head when watching something unrelated and its really bugging me that I cant remember the name.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

SiKboy posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a move, I dont remember who does it, but I think I saw it in ROH a few years ago, and I know someone (possibly a TNA knockout or whatever they call their women wrestler) still uses it.

Wrestler A (who is performing the move) gets wrestler B into the corner, arms by their sides. A grabs both of Bs wrists, raises Bs arms above Bs head and mounts the turnbuckle behind B. A then pushes themself forwards, so B falls facefirst into the mat with A driving their knees into Bs back/neck.

Basically like a turnbuckle bow and arrow into a faceplant. I think it had "Branding" in the name, because I always got it mixed up with Danielsons Cattle Mutilation. It popped into my head when watching something unrelated and its really bugging me that I cant remember the name.

So the wrestler is on the turnbuckle behind their opponent when the put their knee into the opponent's back/neck and drive them into the mat?

Yeah, that's called Branding.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

SiKboy posted:

It's called calf branding normally, I personally prefer it done on a grounded opponent, it looks like murder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wglh6_nxgI

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 16, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

SIKboy, I'm not quoting your post because those post aren't showing up for some reason. I've heard that move called the meat curtain, but I'm sure it has a different name too.
E: never mind, that's a completely different move.

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 16, 2010

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009
I was fine yesterday, but some people were reporting that any post with a quote in it was showing up blank ... and now I'm seeing blank posts.

I assume the maintenance is causing this.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

SIKboy, I'm not quoting your post because those post aren't showing up for some reason. I've heard that move called the meat curtain, but I'm sure it has a different name too.
E: never mind, that's a completely different move.

Did Mickie James use that move?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TL posted:

Did Mickie James use that move?

He'll be here all week folks!:jerkbag:

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Here's a question that's been bugging me all day: What the hell is a Dudebuster? Ever since I saw them on Smackdown Friday, I've been trying to think of what one is, or who thought it up, or what drug they were on to come up with such a horrible gimmick.

\/\/\/ I misspelled nothing :colbert:

Luminous Cow fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 16, 2010

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Luminous Cow posted:

Here's a question that's been bugging me all day: What the hell is a Dudebuster? Ever since I saw them on Smackdown Friday, I've been trying to think of what one is, or who thought it up, or what drug they were on to come up with such a horrible gimmick.

You might want to edit this post. You mis-spelled "a-m-a-z-i-n-g" as "h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e"

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Dudebusters bust dudes. What else would they be?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Brickhouse Betty posted:

The Lesnar/Taker feud is a classic example of Jerusalem's favorite kind of match, which is basically just two giant men beating the poo poo out of each other until one of them stops.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cool, so I was right about it being <something> branding. Thanks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CM Junk posted:

The Lesnar/Taker feud is a classic example of Jerusalem's favorite kind of match, which is basically just two giant men beating the poo poo out of each other until one of them stops.

This can't be stressed enough, it's loving awesome.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

This can't be stressed enough, it's loving awesome.

Yes but Taker should have put Lesnar over when it mattered a few months earlier than the HIAC match.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

A few months earlier? Lesnar debuted in March, won King of the Ring in July, won the Undisputed title in August, and went over Taker in October. Unless you think he should have put him over on a Raw main event, there wasn't much time before then to do it. I think the way the feud built was pretty perfect - a double-DQ brawl one month, leading to Hell in a Cell the next.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Clearly he meant "Kurt Angle" and "their Survivor Series 00 match"

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Here's a wrestling question:

Is it weird that when I first really got into wrestling it was when Chris Jericho and Rey Mysterio were feuding for the WCW Cruiserweight title, and now when I see them wrestle on Smackdown I view them as completely different entities? They still put on great matches when they wrestle (in fact I bought a PPV where Jericho took Mysterio's mask last year in a really good match), there's just some element not there that I can't quite define.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 17, 2010

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
What does it mean when a wrestler (I think) taps his own shoulder or other parts of his body (I think one common instance is his bootheel)? I haven't regularly watched wrestling in eons, but I think it's typically when a wrist lock is applied, the wrestler who the move is being applied to sort of stands up straight and then taps his shoulder with his free hand.

This usually leads to a reversal or, I think, an Irish whip. Is he just signalling 'I'm going to go this way, don't break my arm.' Is the kayfabe reasoning just 'it hurts'?

Just curious, cause it always looked goofy as hell whenever I saw it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I always thought it was like the opponent is tightening your muscle, so you're smacking it to get the feeling back into it.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

Is it weird that when I first really got into wrestling it was when Chris Jericho and Rey Mysterio were feuding for the WCW Cruiserweight title, and now when I see them wrestle on Smackdown I view them as completely different entities? They still put on great matches when they wrestle (in fact I bought a PPV where Jericho took Mysterio's mask last year in a really good match), there's just some element not there that I can't quite define.

Seeing as how they are 10+ years older than then(and also Rey Mysterio being a lot more banged up) and have both evolved that's to be expected. It really lacked the fast-paced high flying action that it originally had years ago, but substituted it with a lot more slower-paced storytelling rather than high spot after high spot as I remember the old feud was in WCW(that was years ago and I was quite young then, so yeah.) Both feuds were equally great in my opinion though but two separate entities indeed.

Edit: I just realized I said 'really' way more than needed in that post, shows me for being up at 4AM and posting.

Thorias fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 17, 2010

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen
I don't doubt that both those men could still wrestle the caliber of match they used to, I think it's probably endemic of the WWE style more than anything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chop Licker posted:

I don't doubt that both those men could still wrestle the caliber of match they used to, I think it's probably endemic of the WWE style more than anything.

Rey and Jericho's matches in WCW weren't really that great, especially the famous one where Jericho puts Rey out and wins the Cruiserweight belt. Rey was really injured at the time and they couldn't do much. The stuff they did last year was really better in terms of ring work.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Captain Magic posted:

Firstly, there is an extensive list of "rules" of the ring in WWE that isn't in place anywhere else. Vince likes certain things and doesn't like certain things and forces that style on everybody. Secondly, wrestling is scripted very, very differently than in the WCW days. Thirdly, they old now.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Also steroids.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Perdido posted:

What does it mean when a wrestler (I think) taps his own shoulder or other parts of his body (I think one common instance is his bootheel)? I haven't regularly watched wrestling in eons, but I think it's typically when a wrist lock is applied, the wrestler who the move is being applied to sort of stands up straight and then taps his shoulder with his free hand.

This usually leads to a reversal or, I think, an Irish whip. Is he just signalling 'I'm going to go this way, don't break my arm.' Is the kayfabe reasoning just 'it hurts'?

I want someone to answer this definitively. Last week I watched Pillman vs. Flamingo at Beach Blast 92 (I think) and while Pillman had twisted Raven's arm Raven slapped his shoulder every few seconds for a minute straight. Really loving distracting and weird.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Captain Magic posted:

If you notice, Rey was -SPRINTING- outside the ring. He had speed in 1998; he's been wrestling for twelve years since then, and has really slowed down. Now, it's about interesting reversals more than "HOLY poo poo THAT'S FAST."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Perdido posted:

Its the "Ow Ow ow! Boy Howdy are you twisting my arm hard. See where I am slapping my hand on my shoulder? That is where it hurts!"

To signal a reversal the guy administering the arm twisting would just give you two quick squeezes of his hand. At least thats how we did it.