Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basada
Feb 10, 2007
God Mega Man was so awesome back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Orcasword posted:

Pretty sure Nintendo Power or anyone in America wasn't able to submit ideas for MegaMan bosses until 6, and 6 was actually the only case where american fans could enter. (Wind Man and Knight Man were designed by american kids) Also, the contests in general only applied to creating robot masters, not the fortress bosses.

...but hey I could be completely wrong.

You are completely wrong. Wind Man and Knight Man were selected from submissions to a Japanese contest. Nintendo Power held their contest afterwards and stated that it was just for fun.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

You are completely wrong. Wind Man and Knight Man were selected from submissions to a Japanese contest. Nintendo Power held their contest afterwards and stated that it was just for fun.

You sure? According to the credits Knight Man was designed by Daniel Vallie and Wind Man was by Michael Leader. Those names don't really sound too Japanese...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

EvilLemmy posted:

You sure? According to the credits Knight Man was designed by Daniel Vallie and Wind Man was by Michael Leader. Those names don't really sound too Japanese...

Wait a minute, I must be confusing them with something else then. What other bosses were designed through contests?

Edit: Yeah I found scans of the Nintendo Power contest. It mentions that a similar contest was held in Japan for Mega Man 5, and very vaguely says that bosses in Mega Man 6 may be decided via contest. Except I don't see Knight Man or Wind Man on those pages! Either there was a second contest or Capcom liked them better than Black Man.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 17, 2010

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009
Today at the local comic shop:

:tipshat:Me: Hey do you have MegaMan MegaMix or MegaMan Official Complete Works?

:downs:Clerk: Oh yeah we've got MegaMan! Here!

:geno:Me: .........

And every other place just had the NT Warrior(Battle Network) comics. Ugh.

Orcasword fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 17, 2010

JihadforChrist
Mar 19, 2010
Anyone else here hate the Mega Man side scrollers but LOVE Mega Man Legends?

Mega Man Legends was my first introduction to Mega Man. I finished both it and its sequel after buying them new for $5 and loved every second of it.

Graphically its so unique. Not quite cell shaded but in a class all of its own. People call the graphics bad but I disagree. The grit and the low resolution on certain things only added to the atmosphere.

You could investigate everything and get a response. The settings were so awesome and it even though the game was sorta anime it avoided being annoying. Plus the last boss fight in the game was set to Bethoven. The game's atmosphere, story and setting just oozed pure charm.

After beating both of those games I went back and bought my first introductions to the main Mega Man series. Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X6. :smith:

The fact that we never got a sequel to the last games cliffhanger ending is criminal.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

JihadforChrist posted:

Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X6.

This right here, this is where you hosed up. Especially 8.

but ESPECIALLY X6.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

JihadforChrist posted:

After beating both of those games I went back and bought my first introductions to the main Mega Man series. Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X6. :smith:
Oh God no. Both of these games are utterly horrible. I hope you're not basing your opinion on the classic Mega Man side scrollers based on these. You really have to play the 8-bit Mega Man games or the current retro throwbacks. As far as the X games go, only the first is essential, but 2-4 are okay.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

J-Spot posted:

Oh God no. Both of these games are utterly horrible. I hope you're not basing your opinion on the classic Mega Man side scrollers based on these. You really have to play the 8-bit Mega Man games or the current retro throwbacks. As far as the X games go, only the first is essential, but 2-4 are okay.

Four was great... Playing as Zero in earnest for the first time was awesome.

4-6 have annoying story sequences, though. They got progressively worse--which was ridiculous considering since 5 and 6 were more of the same. They managed to take a good game and proceed to tack on annoying poo poo and call them sequels.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I really like the storyline in the first two X games. For as simple as the games were back then they did a great job of driving home the idea that humanity was hosed and the Maverick Reploids as an organization were a real threat. Then they started doing enemy-of-the-week plots (except of course Sigma was always REALLY behind it) instead of building on the whole ongoing human-reploid civil war thing.

Shaken
Jul 16, 2008

+ -
I bought Megaman Battle Network 2 for the GBA a long time ago and really enjoyed it as a youth. Years later, I try to get into the Star Force series for DS but it just isn't the same. So I managed to snag a copy of Battle Network 3 for GBA recently and am surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, though it feels a bit weird to play such an old game when I have a bunch of unfinished DS titles lying around.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Has anyone seen the Mega Man X TV show (or maybe it was a movie)? I saw most of it on Youtube, but I'd love to buy it on DVD. It might have been dubbed to English at one point, I'm not sure, since there seem to be different versions out there. It's basically an adaptation of the first Mega Man X, with X, Zero and Sigma working together to fight the Mavericks only to discover Sigma is of course behind it all.

It was still a kids cartoon, but it was significantly darker and more violent than the original Mega Man cartoon (Super fighting robot...). Basically I would have loving loved it at 13 or 14. This looks like a piece of it. Anyone else know more about it?

EDIT: Changed the link to a better quality one. Also, it seems to be an extra on some PSP remake of the first X game. Not sure if there's more or not.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 17, 2010

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

StickySweater posted:

"The Day of Sigma" was an unlockable extra included in the PSP remake of the first X game. There aren't any more episodes or anything.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Czar Like Stick posted:

"The Day of Sigma" was an unlockable extra included in the PSP remake of the first X game. There aren't any more episodes or anything.

Not just that, but there's also no way to get it outside of Maverick Hunter X. Pretty awesome overall, but it's a significant retcon of the original X series in a few parts(Such as the origin of Sigma's face scars)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Shaken posted:

I bought Megaman Battle Network 2 for the GBA a long time ago and really enjoyed it as a youth. Years later, I try to get into the Star Force series for DS but it just isn't the same. So I managed to snag a copy of Battle Network 3 for GBA recently and am surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, though it feels a bit weird to play such an old game when I have a bunch of unfinished DS titles lying around.

Yeah, the old Battle Network games are tons of fun to go back to play. If you ever consider getting the others, note that 4 is probably the worst, while 5 and 6 are pretty enjoyable. 5 has a unique battle system that I thought was pretty cool and fun.
Also, what Starforce game did you pick up? 2 was horrendously forgettable, 1 was ok and 3 was undoubtedly the best of all these games. You can also do random battles online with Starforce 3, and I thought that was fun. Just note that fighting someone with Bly Form online is aggravating. Doable, but aggravating.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I used to think Vile was the best secondary villain ever. I loved the guy. I must have spent hours messing around with that first battle with him in X1. They managed to use restraint and not include him in X2, but brought him back for X3. "Brilliant!" my teenage mind thought.

Yeah, I don't know. He's still kinda neat for a Boba Fett ripoff.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Smoke posted:

Not just that, but there's also no way to get it outside of Maverick Hunter X. Pretty awesome overall, but it's a significant retcon of the original X series in a few parts(Such as the origin of Sigma's face scars)

They never explained how Sigma got his scars in the original X1. I thought it was cool how there was an explanation behind it.
(actually apprently in the japanese mangas, the scars were caused by Sigma himself as a sign of rebellion...way cooler)
The only thing they really changed with Maverick Hunter X was the fortress stages and Dr. Cain dying.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Orcasword posted:

They never explained how Sigma got his scars in the original X1.
I think it was X4 that had a cutscene about Sigma's past and the origins of Zero.

Shaken
Jul 16, 2008

+ -

Nahxela posted:

Yeah, the old Battle Network games are tons of fun to go back to play. If you ever consider getting the others, note that 4 is probably the worst, while 5 and 6 are pretty enjoyable. 5 has a unique battle system that I thought was pretty cool and fun.
Also, what Starforce game did you pick up? 2 was horrendously forgettable, 1 was ok and 3 was undoubtedly the best of all these games. You can also do random battles online with Starforce 3, and I thought that was fun. Just note that fighting someone with Bly Form online is aggravating. Doable, but aggravating.

I only tried the first Star Force and admittedly didn't play for very long before getting bored, but I will probably give it another chance once I've plowed through the GBA titles. Having to choose between all these different versions for each iteration (like Pokemon) is really weird too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

StickySweater posted:

I used to think Vile was the best secondary villain ever. I loved the guy. I must have spent hours messing around with that first battle with him in X1. They managed to use restraint and not include him in X2, but brought him back for X3. "Brilliant!" my teenage mind thought.

Yeah, I don't know. He's still kinda neat for a Boba Fett ripoff.

I thought the X-hunters were the best gimmick ever, especially since it fit in the game's plot without having to be forced, and I wish either that mechanic or the X-Hunters themselves would return.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

JihadforChrist posted:

Plus the last boss fight in the game was set to Bethoven. The game's atmosphere, story and setting just oozed pure charm.

The fact that we never got a sequel to the last games cliffhanger ending is criminal.

We totally need a Megaman Legends 3, but I think that fight was set to some Bach. Seriously, though, does Inafune remember the series even exists?

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

Ryoshi posted:

We totally need a Megaman Legends 3, but I think that fight was set to some Bach. Seriously, though, does Inafune remember the series even exists?

The Legends version of Megaman was a character in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, so they do remember.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I thought the X-hunters were the best gimmick ever, especially since it fit in the game's plot without having to be forced, and I wish either that mechanic or the X-Hunters themselves would return.

The X-Hunters were really really fun.

I don't know why, but Sigma has always annoyed me as a final boss. I don't find him as relatable as Wily, and he's just generally annoyed the crap out of me. Am I weird in feeling this?

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Toad on a Hat posted:

The X-Hunters were really really fun.

I don't know why, but Sigma has always annoyed me as a final boss. I don't find him as relatable as Wily, and he's just generally annoyed the crap out of me. Am I weird in feeling this?

Yes you are, Sigma's pretty awesome.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Sigma's just an unkillable rear end in a top hat whose character lost all meaning by the third game, but you could say the same of Wily. Megaman villains are kind of difficult to appreciate until you can get a look at their legacy later on.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

since people are talking about robot masters and enemies they may or may not have contributed, what do you think about Nitro Man in MM10? Think it was in any way inspired by the fan project, Mega Man Unlimited?

The Nitro Man in Unlimited looks different and works different, and they could easily be a coincidence, but I can't help but wonder it's a shoutout of recognition.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
If anyone is interested, Nerdapalooza is happening again in Orlando, and The Megas and The Protomen are going to be there, along with 38 other acts. If anything, come check out The Megas for their first of two sets at the free pre-party (free food and drinks too), at A Comic Shop Friday July 16th. More info here for those looking:

http://nerdapalooza.org/?page_id=137

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.
:woop: New Mega Man game called Mega Man Universe has been officially announced and there is even a teaser trailer :woop:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/megamanuniverse/video/6269358

In case the above link doesn't work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXnXVYEXSY

My guess it's going to be a Little Big Planet inspired game but with Capcom properties.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh man, that video was priceless, ESPECIALLY the end. Hahaha, I love self-deprecating humor

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Bionic Commando cabinet! :swoon:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
That looks awesome and yet I have no idea what the hell is going on.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy crap I'm not even that big on Mega Man games (too hard :cry:) but I definitely am interested in what MMU turns out to be!

EDIT: Calling it now: an achievement for beating a level/the game using nothing but Flowchart Ken Technique!

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 16, 2010

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
In my mind, I've already bought it.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IXCE posted:

:woop: New Mega Man game called Mega Man Universe has been officially announced and there is even a teaser trailer :woop:

My guess it's going to be a Little Big Planet inspired game but with Capcom properties.

That sure was a thing. Anywhere that actually talks about what it IS?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Battle Network, although incredibly gay and for babby, has some REALLY creative redesigns of a couple robot masters.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 17, 2010

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

IXCE posted:

Please...please...please don't use kinect...please

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.

Drox posted:

That sure was a thing. Anywhere that actually talks about what it IS?

This is about all we got on info. More will be revealed at Comic Con:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/07/15/announcing_mega_man_universe_for_xbox_live_and_playstation_network

quote:

“We are thrilled to finally be able to announce Mega Man Universe. This game will break the mold and challenge the conventional wisdom of what a Mega Man game can be. When fans finally get to see it, I believe they’ll envision their most far-out Mega Man dreams coming true.”

What does the teaser trailer mean? What are Ryu and Arthur doing there? Well, that's the point of a teaser, right?

We here at Capcom are aiming to deliver the most creative Mega Man experience yet. In Mega Man Universe, imagination is the star of the game. Be sure to check out the exclusive Q&A with Inafune over at Gamespot as well and keep your eye on Capcom Unity for any future updates!

The Q&A doesn't mention anything more than what has been said already.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm sold on whatever this ends up being. The ending slayed me.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I don't know what the hell that was, but I want it. I hope hideous MM1-boxart Mega Man is an actual playable character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Calling it now: every side scrolling capcom character you could want is in the game, playable in megaman levels. But there's also a level creator and character creator where you can mix and match parts, and probably share them over the internet.