Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I'm just being an idiot. Realised what I've done.

Read a note in my note list things which said versalife elevator code, but it was referring to the one inside. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, going through the front door is basically necessary for an invincible-warlord run. Lots of heavily-armed enemies to mow down with your awesome combat prowess :black101:

I'm doing a vaguely Highlander-esque playthrough now, in which I must kill every enemy in the level using only Low-Tech weapons, I cannot use the prod or the pepper spray, and I must never kill an enemy before he has seen me (I can run up from behind him and kill him just as he turns around and exclaims in surprise though). I'm also forgoing the use of any stealth augs (silent running, cloak, transparency) and using Electromagnetic Discharge so that I can disable bots in melee. It's really goddamned hard early on, though it'll probably get easier once I've got the various protection augs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I did a crowbar-only (well, and GEP for bots) game in Vanilla Deus Ex. That was great fun.

I also drank all the booze/zyme I could get my hand on, and at one point in Paris managed to jump outside the level with level 4 legs while drunk leaving myself trapped outside :saddowns:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ben Soosneb posted:

During my dozens of playthroughs I've always wandered what happens if you ignore Tracer Tongs advice and on your second trip to versalife you go through the front door again.

I'm at that point now and those versalife bastards have changed the elavator code! Is the new code in game anywhere so you can legitamately go in that way?

They're waiting for you.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Pope Guilty posted:

They're waiting for you.

And by they you mean 2 commandos and a mega spider bot, neither of which reaslly pose a threat at this stage of the game.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Pope Guilty posted:

They're waiting for you.

In the test chamberrr.

wait, poo poo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

In the test chamberrr.

wait, poo poo

JC! Move away from the beam!

What a shame.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

JC! Move away from the beam!

What a shame.

Does that mean I don't get the Op bonus?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

My little brother found a glitch. If you start a new game right after dying, you start the new game with most of the gear you had in the previous game, including weapon mods, etc. No augs or skills, but at least the gear.

This, combined with Shifter, made for the fastest Liberty Island run EVER.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

The Rat posted:

My little brother found a glitch. If you start a new game right after dying, you start the new game with most of the gear you had in the previous game, including weapon mods, etc. No augs or skills, but at least the gear.

This, combined with Shifter, made for the fastest Liberty Island run EVER.

This is beautiful.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

The Rat posted:

You were a little out of line up there.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Belgian posted:

Turn out that if you don't report to manderley, you can follow simons into the interrogation cell. Killing the prisoners before he finishes interrogation
yields some pretty fun dialogue.

Also, you can block simons from shooting them, allowing at least one to run out.

If you see Simon's kill them he brings it up again, in the underwater base. If you save one or kill them yourself does if give a different dialogue?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I like to scatter weapons around the cell since Shifter makes NPCs pick up nearby weapons when they're in fight mode. Unfortunately, the NSF default to flee, not fight, so they won't use the guns, but it's pretty great to watch Simons pick up a GEP gun to waste them.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Has anyone got a link to the old YTMND with all the DX voice samples? It was some variation of "I speel my dreeenk!" but I can't find it or even remember the exact spelling. :(

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Zero Star posted:

Has anyone got a link to the old YTMND with all the DX voice samples? It was some variation of "I speel my dreeenk!" but I can't find it or even remember the exact spelling. :(

That may not have been a ytmnd. I remember a link that takes you to a blank page save for a quick time strip that plays the thing, but I know what you are talking about. Catchy tune to it.

Carbohydrates posted:

I like to scatter weapons around the cell since Shifter makes NPCs pick up nearby weapons when they're in fight mode. Unfortunately, the NSF default to flee, not fight, so they won't use the guns, but it's pretty great to watch Simons pick up a GEP gun to waste them.

"someone clean this mess away..."

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

The Rat posted:

Haha poo poo, I found this out yesterday and I thought I was the only one. Didn't realise it worked all the way through the game though!

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

The Rat posted:

I take it you just hit New Game as soon as the menu comes up?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

zombieman posted:

I take it you just hit New Game as soon as the menu comes up?

The way I did it, I had to whack escape and go to New Game while I was still falling over.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

You don't even need to die- I restarted the game while in the underground section of castle clinton to try things differently and retained all my poo poo- had to drop it all and pick it back up for anything to work. I haven't tried to duplicate it, however.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-
I think that when you do this you can't get any ammo for the weapons from the old run, and any new lockpicks/multitools/healthpacks you pick up don't stack with the old ones. At least that's how I remember it from using the glitch a couple of years back.

I guess you could just stock up on weapon mods and nano-swords instead.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Zero Star posted:

http://ispeeeelmydreeenk.ytmnd.com/

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1BXBGLB2 Enjoy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Supreme Court posted:

The Hong Kong map is so retarded I ended up making one myself. It's almost as retarded.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

The waterways seemed really complicated when I got there :psyduck:

Yeah, Hong Kong really is not that complicated. If you guys are getting confused by the map there, never play Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, or either of the first 2 Thief games.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Hong Kong is a breeze if you follow the signposts.

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

Stump Truck posted:

"Reave me arone!" This is glorious.

Currently giving Shifter a try, up until now I never killed Anna with her killphrase. Time to change that :c00lbert:

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

Stump Truck posted:

Ah Mister Denton is still the best Deus Ex song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0U7OUtRvXM

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

bobfather posted:

And by they you mean 2 commandos and a mega spider bot, neither of which reaslly pose a threat at this stage of the game.

It's actually a lot of commandos, 3 in the lobby and more than 10 in the level 1 labs as well as anything you didn't kill the first time in the labs. On my recent playthrough I had level 4 advanced targeting, master pistols, and a modded-out unsilenced pistol with a laser sight and no scope so they weren't a big deal, though.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Stump Truck posted:

You guys rule! I could never remember the correct number of E's in the address.

Mr Gnang
Jan 28, 2009

CAPTAIN poo poo posted:

Ah Mister Denton is still the best Deus Ex song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0U7OUtRvXM

oh my god JC, a song

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Zero Star posted:

Neither could I. I had to Google it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This computer animation movie of some hostage saving is pretty neat, despite some of the voice acting and no prodding with the prod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppBRrucQHWc&feature=related

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr Gnang posted:

oh my god JC, a song

A SONG!!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Zero Star posted:

I wish I had a collection of WAV files that made up this song.

Desperately.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 19, 2011

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
Does anyone else take out Walton Simons at the Ocean Lab like a total punk?

My usual method, while cheap as hell, is this: I leave a LAM or two attached to the mining equipment straight across from the elevator, which turns out to be exactly where Simons spawns when you are leaving the lab.

Now, this conveniently explodes him when you're still about a hundred meters away, avoiding his hilarious showdown dialog with you. It's cheap, as I noted, but here's my rationale: he's a douche.

In no way does a man who retorts with "...actually, I'm the director of FEMA" or "Do you see me behind a desk right now?" (while standing around in an office break room) deserve any kind of warrior's fighting death.

Anyone else take their role playing reasons in the game a little too far?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

IanCaw posted:

Anyone else take their role playing reasons in the game a little too far?

How does one roleplay with a GEP gun?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tanith posted:

How does one roleplay with a GEP gun?

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six rockets or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a GEP gun, the most powerful lock pick in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: How many clip mods did he install?

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'

KillHour posted:

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six rockets or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a GEP gun, the most powerful lock pick in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: How many clip mods did he install?

Trick question, the GEP gun reloads after every shot!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IanCaw posted:

Trick question, the GEP gun reloads after every shot!

I knew someone would bring that up.

:pulls out DTS:

Feelin' lucky, punk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
So I visited Castle Clinton today. Like, the real thing.

It's depressing how poor the game's attempt to model it is. Also, I couldn't find the secret passage behind the soda machine; I can't even find the soda machine.

And there's two kiosks, not one.