Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Either plan it out and make sure they aren't caught in the reflection or replace all the mirrors with green screens and reproduce them in post-production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The mirrors are actually windows with identical actors on the other side painstakingly mimicking the main actors.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

quote:

If the camera looks directly over the actor’s shoulder then it will indeed be in its own shot. Its line of view has to be at a slightly greater angle to the mirror. Imagine the set in plan view, draw a straight line from the actor’s nose to the mirror and another from the camera’s lens to the same point on the mirror, keeping symmetry. The actor, looking down his line, sees the camera reflected in the mirror. The camera, looking down its line, sees the actor’s reflection.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

FitFortDanga posted:

The mirrors are actually windows with identical actors on the other side painstakingly mimicking the main actors.

I'm sure most people in this thread already know this, but Cameron did exactly this in a cut scene from Terminator 2 with Linda Hamilton's twin sister and a prop Arnold head.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
All wrong. They use a cloaking device.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
I watched Koyaanisqatsi after reading spe's post in this thread and, quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if suicide hotlines out there has a special script for people who call in after having watched this. Bleak, draining, and humbling.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kqT5DjCUNg

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think his Moon score was almost equal in terms of setting and enhancing the mood.

Ok, you are right. I rewatched it, and as you said, the music was a big part of that film. And the second watching of that movie made me like the whole movie more.

I rewatched Sunshine too, and liked it more the second time. And the left turn actually grew on me a bit. I get the feeling that Searle was Pinbacker in another life.

SO I guess I am interested in good sci-fi of this type. I was going to go back in time, but Logan's Run made me think older is not the way to go. Star Wars idea of dirty space ships was Genius. I wonder if it the too clean look that spoils so many special effects for me.

Screamers was pretty good. Not in the class of great like Moon and Sunshine.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 16, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

HOLY SHITBALLS! posted:

I watched Koyaanisqatsi after reading spe's post in this thread and, quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if suicide hotlines out there has a special script for people who call in after having watched this. Bleak, draining, and humbling.

I loved that movie, and was uplifted by it. (Does that say something about me?)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's some awesome parts of the '31 Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde that not only use direct-view mirror shots, but also transformation effects in-camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVESREi5JhU

(They used hidden sets and colored makeup/lights to do it all in one take)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I'm wondering how camera technique would change if you draped a Harry Potter invisi-cloak over every cameraman.

Every movie would take place in a house of mirrors, just because :O

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

The Machine posted:

I'm wondering how camera technique would change if you draped a Harry Potter invisi-cloak over every cameraman.

Every movie would take place in a house of mirrors, just because :O

The sound and lighting crew would be pissed they don't have to make sure not to get in the way of the now invisible camera :p

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Toebone posted:

I'm sure most people in this thread already know this, but Cameron did exactly this in a cut scene from Terminator 2 with Linda Hamilton's twin sister and a prop Arnold head.

Also, the security guard that meets the copy of himself (that is really the T-1000 in disguise) was also done with twins rather than compositing. It's such a simple effect but I love it!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, the security guard that meets the copy of himself (that is really the T-1000 in disguise) was also done with twins rather than compositing. It's such a simple effect but I love it!

They did that in X-Men 2 as well, with the cleaner whom Mystique impersonates.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Toebone posted:

Does anyone know why Cameron shot it this way? This seems like a really convoluted way to shoot a scene that already has a well-established technique. Was the camera panning behind them or something? I've never seen it in motion.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Does anyone know why Cameron shot it this way? This seems like a really convoluted way to shoot a scene that already has a well-established technique. Was the camera panning behind them or something? I've never seen it in motion.

In that scene, they open a big hole in the terminator's head, so they needed a dummy to do that, but they wanted Arnie on-camera to speak his lines (giving instructions relating to the surgery), hence the trick with the "mirror".

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
They used Arnold's twin brother who died shortly after the movie wrapped in a motorcyle accident.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ravel posted:

To everyone who debated Tarantino's film awareness, there's a great thematic analysis of Pulp Fiction's Butch storyline here which I'd say proves that Tarantino is one of the most technical directors out there.

Urrghhhh that was really interesting so I checked the reviewers other videos to see if he'd done any more and half of his videos are interesting film bits and the other half are about exposing anti-white conspiracy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Three Red Lights posted:

exposing anti-white conspiracy.

I wonder if the "88" in his username means what I think it means.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wonder if the "88" in his username means what I think it means.

Well as to why he wont review The Dark Knight:

quote:

Specifically with Dark Knight I disapproved of the film's attempt to promote a ludicrous myth of white non-muslim homegrown terrorism.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Isn't he British? Didn't they have a little homegrown terrorism problem for the last 100 years or so?

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Not really homegrown...

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I'm pretty sure Oklahoma City and Unabomber victims might disagree that there aren't any white, non-muslim, homegrown terrorists.

I do have a question, I'm not sure if it's better here or the analysis thread, but it's been bugging me for months.

In Wedding Crashers, does anybody else feel that the eventual moral of the story is If you're a selfish rear end in a top hat who uses people for their own amusement you'll be rewarded? I kinda felt that at the end of the movie they main characters didn't learn that they were assholes and instead stopped crashing weddings because there was no reason to anymore, they each got their girl.

I still found the movie fairly funny. I'm not really one to judge them for doing one-night stands, I'm guilty of a few myself, but I just kinda felt the movie didn't really show the "moral" that it thinks it did.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
That's how it works in real life so I fail to see any issue.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

That's how it works in real life so I fail to see any issue.

Yeah I can't quite put my finger on why it bothers me. It just felt like the movie is trying to be all "Oh these are assholes, oh look they're in an awkward situation for 3 days, lesson learned."

I don't want to say I hated the movie. poo poo, I thought when Vince Vaughn got the sock (or underwear, I can't remember exactly) shoved in his mouth was hilarious. And they don't make any bones about the fact that he didn't change at all at the end of the movie, but the trying to make Owen Wilson look like a sympathetic character just felt flat.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Squid Hat posted:

Yeah I can't quite put my finger on why it bothers me. It just felt like the movie is trying to be all "Oh these are assholes, oh look they're in an awkward situation for 3 days, lesson learned."

I don't want to say I hated the movie. poo poo, I thought when Vince Vaughn got the sock (or underwear, I can't remember exactly) shoved in his mouth was hilarious. And they don't make any bones about the fact that he didn't change at all at the end of the movie, but the trying to make Owen Wilson look like a sympathetic character just felt flat.
Also it has a recurring gag that seems to say, "Rape's OK, as long as the rapist's a she, and if she's hot, well even better...you two might end up dating!"

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

bad movie knight posted:

Also it has a recurring gag that seems to say, "Rape's OK, as long as the rapist's a she, and if she's hot, well even better...you two might end up dating!"

I'd be okay with getting raped by Isla Fisher... or better yet, Jane Seymour.

Wait a minute, something's wrong with me and this movie.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Rake Arms posted:

I'd be okay with getting raped by Isla Fisher... or better yet, Jane Seymour.

Wait a minute, something's wrong with me and this movie.
Yeah, and I'm sure any chick would be OK with getting raped by a Jonas Brother, right? That doesn't make it right or acceptable for a film to endorse it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

bad movie knight posted:

Yeah, and I'm sure any chick would be OK with getting raped by a Jonas Brother, right? That doesn't make it right or acceptable for a film to endorse it.

Yeah, no I agree with you. Just sayin' is all.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Rake Arms posted:

Yeah, no I agree with you. Just sayin' is all.
Yeah, The Wedding Crashers made me feel really icky. It's funny in parts, but goddamn if it isn't morally repugnant and not in a good Bad Santa sort of way.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I think the movie meant to show that their lifestyle of crashing weddings and going on a series on one-night-stands was hollow and emotionally unsatisfying, but yeah they do a lovely job of delivering that message.

bad movie knight posted:

Yeah, The Wedding Crashers made me feel really icky. It's funny in parts, but goddamn if it isn't morally repugnant and not in a good Bad Santa sort of way.

I thought the movie was really enjoyable and hilarious until the creepy stalker gay brother showed up. The movie pretty much gets lovely in the second half anyway, but that one character bothered me enough to lose my interest.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
One of the funniest parts of the movie is when the kid tries to take back the painting and Vince Vaughn tells him he can't because it's a gift.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I guess this is more of a "help me find something" question, but here goes.

In A Clockwork Orange, there is a picture hanging in Alex's apartment. It's a picture of a girl, from the shoulders up, facing out of the picture while her body faces a wall. My dad has a copy of this same painting, and I have no idea what it's called. Can anyone help?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

bad movie knight posted:

Bad Santa knight.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Bad Santa knight.

This + a morphing Billy Bob Thornton -> Steven Seagal avatar would be awesome!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Bad Santa knight.

"Mmm baby, you ain't gonna poo poo right for a week"

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Bad Santa knight.
I need to get this around Christmastime, complete with a hat and beard photoshopped onto ol' Steve.

andyouandi
Sep 23, 2005
In Goodfellas, I never understood the scene near the end of the film with Karen and Jimmy. In the scene, (to the best of my recollection) Jimmy tells Karen to meet up with some guys a few store windows down the street, but for some reason, Karen gets all spooked and runs away, even though nothing frightening ever happens.

1. Why did Jimmy tell Karen to meet some guys down the street

2. What got Karen so spooked?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

andyouandi posted:

In Goodfellas, I never understood the scene near the end of the film with Karen and Jimmy. In the scene, (to the best of my recollection) Jimmy tells Karen to meet up with some guys a few store windows down the street, but for some reason, Karen gets all spooked and runs away, even though nothing frightening ever happens.

1. Why did Jimmy tell Karen to meet some guys down the street

2. What got Karen so spooked?

1. He sent her to get whacked.

2. She put 2 and 2 together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andyouandi
Sep 23, 2005
That's what I thought but could never understood why he wanted her wacked? (wouldn't he try to wack Henry first?)