Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil PP
Apr 1, 2010

hi my name is billy smith. whatchuwan? the police hav orders 4 u 2 cum ovr 2 mi house if ur a hot guy lookin 2 smoke some weed nkd nd j/o 2 the best of 90's nick. do u have what it takes? i guess we'll FIGURE IT OUT (must not b shy about being slimd or listenin 2 dubstep/flashbulb, pm if interested)

Ben Soosneb posted:

During my dozens of playthroughs I've always wandered what happens if you ignore Tracer Tongs advice and on your second trip to versalife you go through the front door again.

If memory serves me right, you encounter a lot of giant mechs in the lobby making it fairly impossible to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

bartkusa posted:

So I visited Castle Clinton today. Like, the real thing.

It's depressing how poor the game's attempt to model it is. Also, I couldn't find the secret passage behind the soda machine; I can't even find the soda machine.

And there's two kiosks, not one.
Turns out Paris is bigger than four blocks, too. I know, I was shocked as hell.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Carbohydrates posted:

The code to Area 51's front door isn't 4225 either.

vvv What a shame.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 18, 2010

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There is no Brooklyn Bridge station. :(

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Carbohydrates posted:

To be fair, some games do a pretty drat good job of representing a geographical area. GTA4 rendered several areas in New York quite well, and Fallout 3 was almost chilling in its detail of a post-apocalyptic D.C. area. Obvious the capitol landmarks are pretty easy to recognize, but there's a ton of stuff thrown in that my friends and I recognized right away. We never expected our hometown of Falls Church to be represented in a video game, and certainly the smaller subset of this where we live, Mason District. The subway system is also modeled on the real D.C. Metro; many of the stops have identical or similar names to their real-life counterparts, and are relatively close to where they should be (although obviously the game leaves out a ton of stops). The connecting tunnels are a little screwed-up though, I get on a train from Falls Church to Farragut West and I get there in about 15 minutes without changing trains, but the stops aren't even directly linked in the game.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

modestduty posted:

To be fair, some games do a pretty drat good job of representing a geographical area. GTA4 rendered several areas in New York quite well,

As a lifelong New Yorker (born and raised), I gotta call you out here. The NY in GTA4 is almost nothing like the New York I live in. Sure, there's some token landmarks, but the actual neighborhoods around them are very poorly done, and even though they kinda-sorta got the vibe of certain neighborhoods right, they didn't really. The outer boroughs are a mess, too. Brooklyn is poorly represented, if at all, and too much of the game is taken up by the Staten Island ripoff (imho)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GTA4 was amazing. Not one for one accurate at all, but it feels exactly like New York and I recognized all the fake neighborhoods. loving spot on. And Battery Park in Deus Ex isn't that far off, I went down there once at night and it was definitely weird. No zyme at the eagle statue though.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

As a lifelong New Yorker (born and raised), I gotta call you out here. The NY in GTA4 is almost nothing like the New York I live in. Sure, there's some token landmarks, but the actual neighborhoods around them are very poorly done, and even though they kinda-sorta got the vibe of certain neighborhoods right, they didn't really. The outer boroughs are a mess, too. Brooklyn is poorly represented, if at all, and too much of the game is taken up by the Staten Island ripoff (imho)

Oh I absolutely agree with you, I thought GTA4's New York was great for completely different reasons than why I thought FO3's D.C. was spot-on. I thought they got the atmosphere of certain neighborhoods spot-on, and the landmark areas were don't really well. Namely, Times Square was extremely well-done, it looks a lot like the real thing, except even that engine couldn't put enough people there to make it seem really alive. The actually layout and geography wasn't done particularly well and the scale is off, but the atmosphere was incredible.

tolerabletariff fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 18, 2010

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
I've never been to New York, so I can't really compare Liberty City with the real thing, but I thought they did a remarkable job of creating a realistic, detailed microcosm of a real city.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Ways GTA4 accurately simulates a city :

Jammed full of people and buildings but utterly soulless.
No fun to drive through.
Most jobs require you to wear a suit.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

K8.0 posted:

No fun to drive through.

Were we playing the same game? GTA4's driving is absurdly entertaining.

Ryaf
Jan 24, 2007

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

There is no Brooklyn Bridge station. :(

Yes there is. I pass through it everyday on the way to work. Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Yes there is. I pass through it everyday on the way to work. Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall.

It's not just called Brooklyn Bridge and located a mile from LaGuardia. :colbert:

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

Were we playing the same game? GTA4's driving is absurdly entertaining.

Apparently you got a different copy to me. GTA4 was GTA with all the fun surgically removed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bartkusa posted:

So I visited Castle Clinton today. Like, the real thing.

It's depressing how poor the game's attempt to model it is. Also, I couldn't find the secret passage behind the soda machine; I can't even find the soda machine.

And there's two kiosks, not one.

Just keep throwing LAMs around until you find a secret passage.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
so, I haven't played the deus ex in like a month and a half after buying it, and I was last on the ship with the chopper on the way to hong kong I think. I just purged the valves, but I can't figure out how to get the weapons lock off so I can leave. Please help me!

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
So I played Invisible War. Man, what a poo poo sandwich. I have most of the same criticisms as everyone else, but one thing I don't see talked about much is that it's pretty poorly written. DX1 has one of my favorite game scripts ever, and this was just... goop. NG Resonance was hot tho.

One thing I guess I liked was that it gave you the option to pick any side with the ending. When I was finishing my DX1 playthrough last week, I found myself wishing I could side with Bob Page for one of the endings :(

zombieman posted:

Talking of Smuggler, how the gently caress do you find out the code for his safe? I always end up having to waste Multitools on it.

My last run-through I actually guessed it after a few tries. I was pretty freaked out, but I guess 432 is easy enough that it was meant to be guessed.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Booyah posted:

so, I haven't played the deus ex in like a month and a half after buying it, and I was last on the ship with the chopper on the way to hong kong I think. I just purged the valves, but I can't figure out how to get the weapons lock off so I can leave. Please help me!

I think you've got a few places mixed up here, but are you talking about the MJ12 base that Jock gets stuck in right before Hong Kong? The weapons lock is in a room up some stairs from the hangar where the chopper is behind a locked door. You can grab the key off one of the guards around the barracks, I think there's one sitting in a locker somewhere too, or at least a keycode. I kill everyone and raid everything so I lose track.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Booyah posted:

Once you've got the key to the flight control deck - the little office at the top of the staircase - just walk in and push the big WEAPONS button and Jock will fire a missile. There are two offices; the one that has an INF lock on the door is the one you need to get into.

If you don't have the key yet, go down the stairs instead of up and look around for it (be prepared for violence unless you are good at stealth)

e: son of a-

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

DNS posted:

So I played Invisible War. Man, what a poo poo sandwich. I have most of the same criticisms as everyone else, but one thing I don't see talked about much is that it's pretty poorly written. DX1 has one of my favorite game scripts ever, and this was just... goop. NG Resonance was hot tho.

Agreed. There was so much that was poo poo with the IW plot. For one, Chad Dumier should not be running the Illuminati.

I always wanted a sequel where JC had merged with Helios but Everett had pulled a fast one and somehow shut Helios down. So it would be a three faction game with Illuminati/MJ12 Remnants/Denton Loyalists fighting it out shortly after the end of DX1.

Carbohydrates posted:

If it was in IW Paris would have been one block and required four different loading screens to walk across.

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 18, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

DNS posted:

My last run-through I actually guessed it after a few tries. I was pretty freaked out, but I guess 432 is easy enough that it was meant to be guessed.
Probably, considering there's nothing in the game world that tells you that code. Guess it, tool it, or pick the mirror lock with a GEP gun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Astroturf Man posted:

I always wanted a sequel where JC had merged with Helios but Everett had pulled a fast one and somehow shut Helios down. So it would be a three faction game with Illuminati/MJ12 Remnants/Denton Loyalists fighting it out shortly after the end of DX1.

This would actually have been pretty great. You could have five potential endings: join and rule alongside the Illuminati for an unequal but relatively tolerable global society, join and rule alongside MJ12 as part of a tyrannical New World Order, revive Helios Denton as the artificial god and serve as his agent, activate Helios and merge with it yourself to become the god, or Blow It All Up and start over from scratch.

e: Christ I'm tired, I had to edit this like six times before it made sense

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 18, 2010

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I just found probably the most immersion-breaking situation in the game, one I hadn't noticed before. It's in the last time you go to New York, when you're meeting edit: Stanton Dowd. There's a bunch of riot cops walking around who are hostile by default. If you take them out silently, nothing out of the ordinary happens. If any of them notice you, though, the game immediately spawns two UNATCO troopers, frequently right behind you. This happens with any of them, so when I tested it the game popped about 16 extra guys into existence. I'm not sure if it's just because that area has a scripted ambush that causes it, or what, but I've never noticed the game do anything like this anywhere else, and it was pretty jarring.

Velius fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 18, 2010

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 19, 2011

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

DVD Drive posted:

What? No such part of the game exists... You must mean Stanton Dowd.

edit: Yea;

I never noticed that because I always snipe them from the top of the 'Ton.

Yeah, same. Pretty much everyone is dead by the time I climb off the roof.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Velius posted:

I just found probably the most immersion-breaking situation in the game, one I hadn't noticed before.

Yeah, I just recently found this out too. It's an absolute pain in the arse when you're trying not to kill anyone; I ended up gas grenading the huge mob of UNATCO troops that spawned, but taking out individual patrolling Riot Police without the troops spawning INSTANTLY was seriously difficult.

Edit: vv They do spawn in quite odd places. It's drat annoying to get slaughtered from a street you'd just checked was empty.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 18, 2010

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DVD Drive posted:

It's just jarring that they spawn in, and randomly behind you besides. The game, as far as I can recall, never does this anywhere else. Empty city streets in particular are a really weird place for this to occur, as opposed to, say, the Versalife basement, or the UC (which has one guard, total). Hell, I'd actually prefer monster closets (UNATCO security and comfort alcoves?) to this.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

In that part of the game, the Riot Police and the UNATCO guys always start fighting each other for some reason. It seems like if the Police see me, they turn towards me, but the UNATCO guys still target the police AND me. Dunno what's going on there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I've had them spawn directly in my LOS before

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

The return to new york is usually where I use up all the WP rockets I've been hoarding for the rest of the game. I used to hate that level until I realised how fun setting about 12 unatco troops alight was.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If you're an unstoppable combat machine, that part is awesome in Shifter. You can just dance around with your back to the wall antagonizing one of the cops, then mow down the infinite waves of UNATCO troops that appear for easy skill points.

It sucks poo poo if you're trying for a sneaky/non-violent playthrough, though.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm actually attempting a non-lethal and no guns playthrough. It's not that difficult, especially if you max out low-tech and get the blackjack. I did initially screw up the challenge because I used pepper spray, which I guess counts as a gun, so I had to redo some territory. Getting out of UNATCO was also a pain, but I had my buddy Miguel or whatever use his GEP gun to kill a certain obstacle. I had to hit him in the knees a couple times to get him to use it, but I was able to knock him out afterward and get him to safety.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I actually did a non lethal play through on my return to Hells Kitchen to find Doud as I killed enough UNATCO dudes saving Paul.

Knocked out pretty much every UNATCO and Cop guy and used up all my tranqs and prod charges but it was worth it. The MJ-12 guys ambushed me outside Smugglers I just head shotted them all with the Shifter Magnum.

Also, Castle Clinton is real? I thought it was just some future weird homage to President Clinton who was in the white house during the games design.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, Castle Clinton is real? I thought it was just some future weird homage to President Clinton who was in the white house during the games design.

It was named after this dude: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewitt_Clinton

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DVD Drive posted:

The UNATCO troops only show up if you kill or knock out a cop. When I was playing that section the other day I blew up the robot and shot the guns out of the hands of all the cops instead of killing them so I never had to deal with a single UNATCO troop.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Haha, I used to think the same thing, until I saw it on a real map of NYC.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I just realized I've never actually done a badass combat god playthrough. gently caress I might have to reinstall Deus Ex now. I'm thinking rifles, heavy weapons, and low tech for the sword.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 18, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I just realized I've never actually done a badass combat god playthrough. gently caress I might have to reinstall Deus Ex now. I'm thinking rifles, heavy weapons, and low tech for the sword.
My "gently caress yall kill everyone" setup was rifles and low tech, with a bit in computers, lockpicking, and electronics. Almost all my inventory was weapons: DT sword, GEP gun, sniper rifle, machinegun, boomstick. That leaves 7 slots for gas grenades, health, bio cells, picks, tools, and a couple ballistic armors.

e: I'm doing a pistol run now and I keep collecting PS20s because Shifter makes them awesome, but I never use them because I just headshot with the stealth pistol. What will I do with my half dozen PS20s?

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hahahah, the idea of an homage to Bill Clinton being called "The Castle" sounds so loving perfect.