Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
gently caress Yeah.

At Dayton.

About to go to sleep so I can get to the hamfest early tomorrow.

DAAAAAAAYYYYYYYTOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Anyone interested in buying a VX-5R? I don't really use it since I got my VX-8, so I might as well get rid of it. It's in good physical and electrical condition and comes with stock duck antenna, drop-in charger, NC-72B wall wart, programming cable + ADMS software, belty clip, vinyl carrying case, and external speaker/mic. The only real problem with it is that the battery is on its way out, but it still works decently for now. I'm thinking $150+s/h, if you're interested send me an email at k9cuf@yahoo.com. If I don't hear from anyone by the end of the weekend I'm going to put it on eBay. This would be a great starter radio for someone newly licensed :shobon: .

kaizier posted:

I was thinking on the Passenger side front fender by the hood latch. i have a hard top but i don't want to attach it there since i take it odd in the summer.
There's a pretty active community of ham offroaders, especially out west IIRC; I bet a little digging on :google: will bring up quite a few good ideas for you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'll be driving down to Dayton whenever I wake up tomorrow, so probably leaving around 10 AM and arriving in the early afternoon. Unfortunately I can only make it a day stop as I'm too broke for a hotel and have a party to go to tomorrow night anyways, but if anyone roughly along the route from Medina to Dayton wants a ride and doesn't mind only being there a few hours (probably until 6 or 7), shoot me a PM or e-mail sean at seanharlow dot info. I have two or three spots open in my car depending on if my roommate tags along. There will also be plenty of trunk space for any gear purchases, since I'm too drat broke for anything more than a new antenna or two.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
So far at Dayton I've picked up a DVAP to be able to do D-Star around the house (connects to D-Star via the Internet and uses a 10 milliwatt 2m transceiver to put it back on the air around the house), many pounds of ARRL books, and renewed my AMSAT membership that had been expired for a few years. Tomorrow I'm hoping to track down an Arrow antenna to get back on the air with satellites using an HT. Maybe a G5RV antenna to string up to get back on HF as well, although I need to figure out how to run the wire so that the lawn service doesn't run it over. Maybe I want an end-fed dipole or a vertical. Hmmm.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
I'm thinking about doing the TX mod on the VX-8R, other people have stated on other forums the resistor came out with tweezers and no iron was needed. If I do it, is there any reason not to install the Bluetooth module? I don't really have any use for it now, but if I've got it opened up for the TX mod seems like I might as well put in the Bluetooth bit.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Prince of Dicks posted:

I'm thinking about doing the TX mod on the VX-8R, other people have stated on other forums the resistor came out with tweezers and no iron was needed. If I do it, is there any reason not to install the Bluetooth module? I don't really have any use for it now, but if I've got it opened up for the TX mod seems like I might as well put in the Bluetooth bit.
I can't think of any drawbacks of installing that module. Has anyone had any luck with attic antennas?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

LtDan posted:

I can't think of any drawbacks of installing that module. Has anyone had any luck with attic antennas?

I was wondering this too. I just got back from school and was hoping to put a dipole or something up. I've got about 36-38' up there, so I should be just able to fit a full 20m half-wave dipole.

If I get a tuner, what kind of results can I expect if I make it non-resonant?

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
Also have any 8R owners done the TX mod? It's recommended that you use a soldering iron to take out the resistor (which I don't have), but I've read about others using tweezers to get it out with no problems. I'm wondering if I should attempt it myself or maybe take it to someone who has experience with working on electronics, although I have no idea who could do that around here.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
I guess the motto for Dayton this year would be something along the lines of the following:

I came.

I saw.

I purchased.

I am loving excited.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Phuzion posted:

I purchased.

I am loving excited.
I'd be excited too, that looks like a nice radio.

Crossposting from the Shortwave thread, because I know there are a few regulars in the DFW area:

[url posted:

http://monitor-post.blogspot.com/2010/05/uniden-open-house-2010-in-dfw-metroplex.html[/url]]
Uniden Open House 2010 in the DFW Metroplex!

Uniden America has just released this announcement.

You Are Invited!

"Uniden invites you to attend the 2010 Uniden Open House on Saturday, June 26, 2010 at Uniden America Corporation Headquarters.

"We are firing up the grill this Summer, and want to invite you over for some burgers, hot dogs, and other treats. We'll be announcing a revolutionary new scanner product on July 1, but attendees will get a sneak preview and introduction to the product from Uniden's Scanner Product Manager, Paul "UPMan" Opitz. Plus, hear from other guests including Lindsay Blanton, owner of RadioReference.com, the source for radio system information as well as other special guests.

"We'll be opening the doors at 10:00 AM and starting the program at 11 AM. This is an event that you will not want to miss.

"Because we want to be sure to have plenty of food and other goodies, we are asking you to register for this event. To do so, please go to: Open House Registration and fill out the form.

"Looking forward to seeing you there!"

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 28, 2019

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Phuzion posted:

I guess the motto for Dayton this year would be something along the lines of the following:

I came.

I saw.

I purchased.

I am loving excited.

Nice, let us know how it is. I am thinking about one of those...

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Dijkstra posted:

Nice, let us know how it is. I am thinking about one of those...

Well, it's showing up tomorrow. I'll try to do an unboxing post if I remember.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I just wanted to pop in and say hi, I had a bit of presence earlier in the thread.

Radio is taking a back seat this year. We're getting married (at our house) in September and I have agreed to take all the antennas down until late fall. It's kind of pretty, actually.

The flip side of the bargain, however, is that after the wedding, I can go hog wild. Current plan is 35 foot masts on each of the four corners of the yard. Should be interesting.

I'll be watching for the new Uniden stuff coming out soon - my 396 is getting long in the tooth, though it still works swimmingly.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Jonny 290 posted:

I just wanted to pop in and say hi, I had a bit of presence earlier in the thread.

Radio is taking a back seat this year. We're getting married (at our house) in September and I have agreed to take all the antennas down until late fall. It's kind of pretty, actually.

The flip side of the bargain, however, is that after the wedding, I can go hog wild. Current plan is 35 foot masts on each of the four corners of the yard. Should be interesting.

I'll be watching for the new Uniden stuff coming out soon - my 396 is getting long in the tooth, though it still works swimmingly.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. I'd really like to make a QSO with you when you get everything set back up, so be sure to let me know when you're back on the air.

My Yaesu is in Massachusetts right now, tomorrow afternoon cannot come fast enough. I'm more excited about this than my MacBook Pro arriving.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Prince of Dicks posted:

Also have any 8R owners done the TX mod? It's recommended that you use a soldering iron to take out the resistor (which I don't have), but I've read about others using tweezers to get it out with no problems. I'm wondering if I should attempt it myself or maybe take it to someone who has experience with working on electronics, although I have no idea who could do that around here.

I used a soldering iron and some solder wick with mine to just de-solder it from the board and it fell right out. Piece of cake. I didn't want to risk possibly tearing up any other traces or pieces of the board by trying to yank the resistor straight out.

(The only reason I did the mod was that I suddenly realized that I bought it used from a Canadian guy and that Canada has different restrictions on the ham bands. For instance, the 70cm band in Canada only allows TX from 430-450MHz instead of 420-450MHz here. My radio was crippled. I did the mod to open it back up to allow me to use the full US bands)

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
Well, I don't have a soldering iron, so that's why I was wondering about alternatives. I think tomorrow I'll just open it up and see, since I can at least put in the Bluetooth thing. The photos I've found of the mod prodecure weren't very good, is the resistor one of the normal round ones with a wire out of each end, or is it the jumper type?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Prince of Dicks posted:

is the resistor one of the normal round ones with a wire out of each end, or is it the jumper type?
It's an SMD, so it's about half the size of a grain of rice.

All you guys wanting to mod your VX-8Rs, just remember that it will screw up your saved memory lists in FTBVX8, unless you remember to flip the version at the top of the window.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Prince of Dicks posted:

Well, I don't have a soldering iron, so that's why I was wondering about alternatives. I think tomorrow I'll just open it up and see, since I can at least put in the Bluetooth thing. The photos I've found of the mod prodecure weren't very good, is the resistor one of the normal round ones with a wire out of each end, or is it the jumper type?

It's a surface-mount resistor that's maybe 1mm by 2mm. Tiny. You could also use an X-acto knife or something similar to just cut the traces to that resistor.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 28, 2019

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
Didn't you just get that thing??^^^

nmfree posted:

It's an SMD, so it's about half the size of a grain of rice.

All you guys wanting to mod your VX-8Rs, just remember that it will screw up your saved memory lists in FTBVX8, unless you remember to flip the version at the top of the window.

I've got the programming software for it so no worries there.

Catastrophe posted:

It's a surface-mount resistor that's maybe 1mm by 2mm. Tiny. You could also use an X-acto knife or something similar to just cut the traces to that resistor.

Now I do have an X-acto. I'll open it up soon and take a look at it first to see if I'm brave enough.

Prince of Dicks fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 19, 2010

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 28, 2019

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
poo poo. I don't know if i just got scammed or what, but, I ordered a replacement battery for my FT-60R just for those times that i run it dry.

Well, I got the replacement today, and it looks identical except for a couple things.

What tipped me off is it does not seem to be charging. After several hours, its not even warm to the touch like my existing pack and the voltage does not change after powering up with the power unplugged from when I got it until now.

Here are the differences I've noticed:

1) The model is FNB-V83, where my original was FNB-83

2) Code in the big box bottom right is H32B not H24B (could be manufacturing / lot code, so that alone doesn't worry me)

And the big one:

3) There is a missing contact point on the bottom right of the battery where it connects to the radio. See the image below: (Click for big - the new one i bought is on the left)

I bought it off eBay here -- Which clearly lists it as a FNB-83 NOT a FNB-V83. The lack of the contact point on the battery makes me think it might be useless for me.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks

Edit: Sorry for the disgusting keyboard. I don't even eat at my desk, no idea how that gets that way. Ugh gross looks like its time for a new kb.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 19, 2010

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
:siren: THE EAGLE HAS LANDED I REPEAT THE EAGLE HAS LANDED :siren:

Only an hour and eight minutes until I get to leave and play with this thing! Holy loving poo poo I am excited.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers

Phuzion posted:

:siren: THE EAGLE HAS LANDED I REPEAT THE EAGLE HAS LANDED :siren:

Only an hour and eight minutes until I get to leave and play with this thing! Holy loving poo poo I am excited.

You posted your callsign in this thread but blanked out the city it was delivered to? :raise: Hrmery

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Prince of Dicks posted:

You posted your callsign in this thread but blanked out the city it was delivered to? :raise: Hrmery

If you want to look up my home address feel free to. I don't really know why I blanked it out, more of a habbit about not posting any personal information on the internet. In retrospect, it was kinda stupid.

The delivery city is Akron, OH, USA if you're really interested.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Phuzion posted:

The delivery city is Akron, OH, USA if you're really interested.

NOW I KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

Not really. I'd like to hear what you think of the new rig. I had considered grabbing one, myself. For now, I think I want to try my had at QRP since I don't want to deal with the cost and complexity of a full 100W+ rig setup right now. Maybe in the future, though...

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
The rig is great. I got it on the air last night, and made a couple of QSOs, one to Charlotte, NC, and another one locally. 40m on the Charlotte station, and 10m on the local station. I still have to figure out the menus and whatnot, but it seems like they're pretty drat easy to use. I'm considering getting out my old Dell laptop that doesn't get much use, and getting the USB interface for it so I can do remote control with Ham Radio Deluxe.

Anyone wanna try a QSO on 40m tonight?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Check one more goon inspired by this thread to start studying for a license. I already have a martitime VHF certificate, so I'm going to upgrade that to maritime VHF/SRC, as well as get an amateur license.

When it comes to amateur radio here in Norway, it seems we have a C-class(technician) without a code requirement, and B- and A-class with code requirement, but I think the level of the questions on the C-class might be equivalent to the General class in the USA. It does seem to have questions about parallel resistors and capacitator resonance.

I got the study book from NRRL and am reading the government regulations online. I know a couple of HAM operators already, so I can ask them if there's anything I don't understand.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 28, 2019

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Vir posted:

When it comes to amateur radio here in Norway, it seems we have a C-class(technician) without a code requirement, and B- and A-class with code requirement,

Yeah this is wrong. Those rules were abolished many years ago. We have no code requirements anymore, but we don't have any different classes either. I have to go for either a full license or nothing, so I guess that means I have to study up on what you guys in the USA learn on the General and Extra, and I was doing so well on the online Technician tests. Oh well, I was going to learn that sometime anyway, and due to the geography of Norway VHF/UHF only has limited use. v:)v

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Jose Pointero posted:

I was watching Sneakers again tonight, and spotted this in the background of their surveillance van. Did some zoom/enhance and here is what appears to be a late 70's/early 80's transceiver or receiver. I think it's a Kenwood. Maybe I'm imagining it but I swear I see a "TS-" or "TR-" in the model number written on the front. Could possibly be a Yaesu though. But that is most definitely a VFO knob on

The unit on the right looks like a Yaesu FV-101Z External VFO.

I haven't got an ID on the unit on the left. I'll keep looking through Yaesu accessories.

xergm fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 22, 2010

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 28, 2019

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I didn't really recognize anything, but I thought that logo and the initials looked like they had a 'Y' in them rather than a 'T' so I started looking through some Yaesu stuff on RigPix until I came across that external VFO.

Also I found the one on the left, it's a Yeasu YR-901 CW/RTTY reader.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Do I get a prize for my detective work?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Jose Pointero posted:

What do y'all think?

e: Found another one, this is kinda fun:
When in the movie are these clips from?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 28, 2019

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Oh sweeeeeet! I just found out my VX-8R has a CW training mode on it. I know it's not required anymore but I'm gonna learn me some morse code! :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK5y5eG3e_g

Four more days until my exam. I've passed every single practice test I've taken so I'm feeling confident. Then again, the Technician test doesn't exactly require months of intensive studying. As a bonus, my :siren: GIRLFRIEND :siren: finally checked out my radio and listened to some people talking on it and instantly decided she wants to get into ham radio stuff too so she's currently studying for the exam and is planning on going with me on Thursday to get her license, too. (run on sentence alert)

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Catastrophe posted:

grrr.... found an ft-817nd for sale for $325 shipped. Emailed the guy and he still had it. Slept on it and emailed him again today to say I wanted it. Obviously, it was already paid for and gone. :argh:

I'll keep these on my radar.

EDIT: Screw it. I'm flying out to San Francisco in a few weeks and my buddy offered to drive me to the local HRO. I'll just snag one while I'm there if they're reasonably priced and/or available used. It'll be immediately useful as well since we're going out with a large group the next day to go on a week long camping trip in Yosemite. Bonus.

Yeah, sleeping on good deals like that is the wrong thing to do. I saw an Icom 706MkII on QTH several weeks ago for $350 with a tuner (that turned out to be $200 brand new) and I'm still kicking myself over turning away from that. Granted I don't have that kind of money to blow on radio stuff right now.

I did get a great deal on an alinco dr-600t dual-band radio the other day though. $130, 2m/440 and it has crossband and remote dtmf control. Sadly, no tone decode board or separation kit. :( It's an older one too so accessories are impossible to find. Also, I need to change the backup battery because memories go away after several hours of it being turned off. Still a good deal and I'm tickled pink over having crossband capability finally. I'm planning on snooping the communication between the face and the radio with something and seeing if I can't figure out how to control it with my own stuff. (ie computer or homebrew faceplate :P)
This radio is kinda neat in that it has an extended receive mod applied to enable VHF air band RX and ~800-999mhz receive. (technically. The ~800-999mhz needs an additional antenna jack added, but the case is actually designed to accommodate such a mod if I want to add it.) I do need to undo an extended TX mod that's been done to it before I accidentally TX out of band, that would suck.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sniep posted:

I bought it off eBay here -- Which clearly lists it as a FNB-83 NOT a FNB-V83. The lack of the contact point on the battery makes me think it might be useless for me.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks

I figured out whats happening on this on the QRZ forums, just for all's knowledge.

Apparently its been happening. The box itself does not even list the different part number, but hte FNB-V83 sub-model does NOT have the battery film cover cut off where it needs the ground contact in the Yaesu FT-60R in order to charge.

Fixing it was as simple as taking an x-acto knife and cutting away the plastic cover on the battery. It charges now and works fine.

Here's the same pic I posted on QRZ (AFTER the mod to cut away the plastic on the batt)

Sniep fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I think this "Japanese mystery signal" was mentioned in this thread - if it wasn't in the shortwave thread:

http://www.ominous-valve.com/mystery.html

From the image and the sample, as well as the text talking about how well synchronized the signal is, it immediately made me think that this may be some kind of navigation and time beacon. The United States is closing down LORAN C, which is indeed an old system, but the Europeans are going the upgrade and improve route instead of closing it down. If the Japanese Navy wants passable earth-based electronic navigation in the Pacific in the event that GPS and other satellite navigation doesn't work, then it might make sense for them to have their own system for that to replace LORAN - but it would be more cost effective and supportive of safety if it was opened up for civilian use.