Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Its the "Ow Ow ow! Boy Howdy are you twisting my arm hard. See where I am slapping my hand on my shoulder? That is where it hurts!"

I was just about to type "OW OW OW!" as a description of what they're doing.
---

Does anyone else use the elevated Hammerlock George Steele used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Christian's nickname is "Captain Charisma" and all, but does anyone else notice that during nearly all of his matches he really seems like he's just phoning it in? He always has this "Step one, shoulder block. Step two, kick" look on his face like he's extremely bored and just going through the motions without an ounce of actually wanting to be in the ring. For someone with a nickname like his, you'd think he'd show a little.. well, charisma. I guess doing the "I can see my peeps" or whatever hand gesture must take massive charisma. That and talking to himself on the way to the ring. I think the guy was awesome in the past, but now he just seems like a hollow shell.

Also - I saw this posted in another thread:

CM Junk posted:

Beth jobbed on a hometown show (very common in WWE) and she's injured and is having surgery this Tuesday.

Which got me wondering - why do they make the hometown hero stare into the lights at the end of their match during a homecoming? Is this some sort of WWE 'keeping people humble' policy? From the way people talk about it, it seems to be the rule more than the exception and its always seemed strange to me. Why have all the people rooting for the hometown hero go home disappointed from one of your shows every time?

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
Easy heat, lazy writing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Christian's nickname is "Captain Charisma" and all, but does anyone else notice that during nearly all of his matches he really seems like he's just phoning it in? He always has this "Step one, shoulder block. Step two, kick" look on his face like he's extremely bored and just going through the motions without an ounce of actually wanting to be in the ring. For someone with a nickname like his, you'd think he'd show a little.. well, charisma. I guess doing the "I can see my peeps" or whatever hand gesture must take massive charisma. That and talking to himself on the way to the ring. I think the guy was awesome in the past, but now he just seems like a hollow shell.

Much like Ric Flair being the greatest wrestler in the world, "Captain Charisma" was actually a joke about Christian being devoid of charisma that took on a life of its own and suddenly, people believed it.

:smug:

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Well back in the day Edge had enough for both of them.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Not to mention, I don't think Christian is a certified captain. <:mad:>

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Pneub posted:

Does anyone else use the elevated Hammerlock George Steele used?

Nope. I can't think of anyone else doing it, and even the hammerlock was on it's way out as a finisher in the late 60s.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Which got me wondering - why do they make the hometown hero stare into the lights at the end of their match during a homecoming? Is this some sort of WWE 'keeping people humble' policy? From the way people talk about it, it seems to be the rule more than the exception and its always seemed strange to me. Why have all the people rooting for the hometown hero go home disappointed from one of your shows every time?

It used to be the idea that the hometown star loses to build up the return. Old school booking that worked through the 80s. For example, the babyface gets beat down before intermission. People are pissed at the heel, and before intermission they announce that there will be a rematch at the show next month. People then buy tickets during intermission and show up next time ready to cheer the babyface harder.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work now. Instead of every month you're talking about once a year in many places. The tickets aren't on sale during intermission, there is no show in the near future to promote, people will forget the angle by the next show, and the match and wrestlers may not even be on the next show. So it's more a holdover of old booking and knocking talent down a peg.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Jerusalem posted:

This can't be stressed enough, it's loving awesome.

What are some of the best matches of this type?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Karmine posted:

What are some of the best matches of this type?

Off the top of my head:

Undertaker/Lesnar: Unforgiven 2002
Undertaker/Lesnar: No Mercy 2002
Lesnar/Big Show: Survivor Series 2002
Brent Albright/Erick Stevens: Take No Prisoners 2008 (I think) - this match was a wonderful surprise)

For smaller guys doing the same thing, check out the best wrestling match of all time which is Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit at the Royal Rumble 2003, which is two crazily technical dudes going at each other full throttle and not stopping. Also pretty much any of the wonderful, incredibly brutal matches in the Bryan Danielson/Takeshi Morishima Holocaust Series.

I'm sure Goldberg has at least had one of this type of full throttle not stopping till somebody dies matches, and that there are plenty of others I'm forgetting, but these are the ones that immediately spring to mind. I was so disappointed that Lesnar/Goldberg didn't happen properly because that could have been one of the best of all time.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Jerusalem posted:

Off the top of my head:

Undertaker/Lesnar: Unforgiven 2002
Undertaker/Lesnar: No Mercy 2002
Lesnar/Big Show: Survivor Series 2002
Brent Albright/Erick Stevens: Take No Prisoners 2008 (I think) - this match was a wonderful surprise)

For smaller guys doing the same thing, check out the best wrestling match of all time which is Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit at the Royal Rumble 2003, which is two crazily technical dudes going at each other full throttle and not stopping. Also pretty much any of the wonderful, incredibly brutal matches in the Bryan Danielson/Takeshi Morishima Holocaust Series.

I'm sure Goldberg has at least had one of this type of full throttle not stopping till somebody dies matches, and that there are plenty of others I'm forgetting, but these are the ones that immediately spring to mind. I was so disappointed that Lesnar/Goldberg didn't happen properly because that could have been one of the best of all time.

there was a pretty decent Steiner Goldberg match in WCW whichwas mostly two men hitting each other.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
Jerry Lawler has a new TV show happening that he is soliciting on Facebook, has anyone heard about it or is it just a Memphis Wrestling thing?

"Look forward to seeing everyone this Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 6:30 pm for the live taping of my new TV Wrestling show. If you are planning to attend please leave me a comment!!"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

E-Diddy posted:

Jerry Lawler has a new TV show happening that he is soliciting on Facebook, has anyone heard about it or is it just a Memphis Wrestling thing?

"Look forward to seeing everyone this Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 6:30 pm for the live taping of my new TV Wrestling show. If you are planning to attend please leave me a comment!!"

You've hear of NXT? Lawler's show is called FRST.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Stan Hansen vs Vader is the pure essence of two giant dudes punching each other until one guy stops. Watch some of that.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

MrBling posted:

Stan Hansen vs Vader is the pure essence of two giant dudes punching each other until one guy stops. Watch some of that.

Second only behind Kobashi vs. Joe

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dylar Addict posted:

Second only behind Kobashi vs. Joe

Ugh, not a very good match. Overrated to the nines.

How anyone can mark for Kobashi/Joe and watch Kobashi/Sasaki right after and not see how one is a heavyweight squash while the other is a battle of two equals, I don't know.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Lone Rogue posted:

How anyone can mark for Kobashi/Joe and watch Kobashi/Sasaki right after and not see how one is a heavyweight squash while the other is a battle of two equals, I don't know.

Because I do not know who Sasake is and I also don't care

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Dylar Addict posted:

Because I do not know who Sasake is and I also don't care

Sasuke?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Sasuke?

I dunno, I heard that guy was pretty great

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MrBling posted:

Yeah, I'll second this. This is the infamous "eye-popping out" match.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MrBling posted:

Hansen v. Andre is even better - I believe it was described as "like watching King Kong and Godzilla try to kill each other with their bare hands."

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

CombineThresher posted:

Hansen v. Andre is even better - I believe it was described as "like watching King Kong and Godzilla try to kill each other with their bare hands."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2D9tZUsaM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MitTviB3DD8

The match in question. I much prefer Hansen v Vader, but Hansen v Andre gets bonus points for Andre taking a bodyslam 6 years before WM7 from Hansen.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
These guys suck, they're all using closed fists. That's not even allowed!

Q) Whats the flippiest of all flippy moves? Who has achieved maximum rotation?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Theshby posted:

I would say Bourne(sydal)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Theshby posted:

jack evans once did a 1080.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Hansen vs. Andre

This was god drat incredible. Ordinarily I HATE "big man" style wrestling but these two had me sold on the idea that they just want to beat the living bejesus out of each other and anyone who got in their way would just be collateral damage.

God drat.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Andre the Giant with a beard is terrifying.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Theshby posted:

Jack Evans or Yoshitsune

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

weekly font posted:

Jack Evans or Yoshitsune

or PAC or Blitzkrieg

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I was watching late 90's WWF and was reminded of that little teardrop Undertaker used to have under one of his eyes. It seems like a weird accessory for a badass zombie wrestler to have so I assume there's some story behind it being there like it's a tribute to a friend or something. Anything?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LightsGameraAction posted:

I was watching late 90's WWF and was reminded of that little teardrop Undertaker used to have under one of his eyes. It seems like a weird accessory for a badass zombie wrestler to have so I assume there's some story behind it being there like it's a tribute to a friend or something. Anything?

Teardrop tattoos under your eye are a gang symbol for people you have killed. So probably Russo or McMahon not realizing what it meant and coopting it.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Lone Rogue posted:

Both matches are awesome you jerk.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Moose Bigelow posted:

You've hear of NXT? Lawler's show is called FRST.

Graders?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

One quick wrestling question. What day is it today?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DOOMocrat posted:

One quick wrestling question. What day is it today?

"Oh God no"

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

oldpainless posted:

"Oh God no"

Explain please.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Explain please.

May 19th was the release of the first WWE Film, See No Evil starring Mr. Kane there. Since it was the first WWE production they ran that date into the ground for about three months. Kane would flip out and go all mystery opponent on anyone who brought up the date.

MAY NINETEENTH!

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Explain please.

This is one of the those things you are better off not knowing

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DOOMocrat posted:

MAY NINETEENTH!

YOU SAID IT!

*runs away*

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

May 19th was the release of the first WWE Film, See No Evil starring Mr. Kane there. Since it was the first WWE production they ran that date into the ground for about three months. Kane would flip out and go all mystery opponent on anyone who brought up the date.

MAY NINETEENTH!

Wasn't it because that was the day his parents house burned down or something?

God drat Kane's backstory is convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

DOOMocrat posted:

May 19th was the release of the first WWE Film, See No Evil starring Mr. Kane there. Since it was the first WWE production they ran that date into the ground for about three months.
MAY NINETEENTH!

Oh god....that's right. How could I forget that?!?!

DOOMocrat posted:

Kane would flip out and go all mystery opponent....

I love that phrase!