Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I'm doing horrible city driving getting 39-42mpg, which equals usually about 70-75 miles before reserve :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've gotten as high as 56mpg (ironically up a twisty road where I just left it in 5th), and as low as 35mpg, just depending on how I ride it.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I usually get gas around the 100 mile mark. All miles are "drive it like yo ustole it".

On a brighter note, got a new battery and have the DRZ at my primary residence. Going to be putting some rim tape on this week courtesy of Endless Mike. Also I think I'm going to go to a 14 tooth front sprocket (-1) soon. I really want to learn to wheelie this thing a least a little. (hopefully safely, if I can't get it, I'm not going to push it)

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I found i cant wheelie my DRZ much at all, i think because of the high flow MRD SSW full system.
It loses low to mid range response and moves it right up to wide open.
The bike pulls madly when its WOT.
But ill be stuffed if i can wheelie it like i could when i had the stock E exhaust.
Eddie says my jetting is correct too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jharkov posted:

I found i cant wheelie my DRZ much at all, i think because of the high flow MRD SSW full system.
It loses low to mid range response and moves it right up to wide open.
The bike pulls madly when its WOT.
But ill be stuffed if i can wheelie it like i could when i had the stock E exhaust.
Eddie says my jetting is correct too.

I think most of the fun in the DRZ is in the stompy midrange...for track use, the top end would be nice but I'm hesitant to move to an aftermarket pipe for fear of losing all the midrange that makes it fun.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I managed my first little wheelie coming off a speed bump the other day and now I'm kinda nervous but curious to try again.

I'm going to wait till I have some serious time to get all geared up and use an empty space repeatedly to work my way up to things. What are the easiest/safest ways to work towards this? Plain power wheelies, pulling the bars up, clutching it up?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is just how I did it, but I started with small powerwheelies, not trying to hold it or anything, just a couple of inches off the ground and set it back down smoothly. Always keep the rear brake covered, and lock your knees into the tank so that you don't have the urge to put your feet down. If things get out of control, shut the throttle off and apply some rear brake and it will come down.

After you get comfortable with power wheelies, clutching it up is actually pretty easy but requires some comfort with the controls and a decent understanding of how much you snap the clutch and how much you give it throttle.

This is a pretty good video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6656191590638402466

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jharkov posted:

Just lower your standards...and she's actually very comfortable.
Sounds just like defending a :btroll: of a girlfriend*.

Content: After taking my MSF on a KLX250SF, I'm trying REALLY REALLY hard to stick to my plan of buying Hayden.'s KLR650 and bringing it back from Texas, and not running out and dropping 5 grand on a KLX250 or WR250X or CRF230M, or 6 grand on a DRZ400SM, instead.

My MSF bike - it was loving *awesome*. Standing on the pegs made The Box a *breeze*.

* Note: I'm on the high side of 40 - and if I've got to have some baggage in the relationship, I'd MUCH rather have it on her hips than on her lips.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 18, 2010

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Jabs posted:

Sounds just like defending a :btroll: of a girlfriend*.

Content: After taking my MSF on a KLX250SF, I'm trying REALLY REALLY hard to stick to my plan of buying Hayden.'s KLR650 and bringing it back from Texas, and not running out and dropping 5 grand on a KLX250 or WR250X or CRF230M, or 6 grand on a DRZ400SM, instead.

My MSF bike - it was loving *awesome*. Standing on the pegs made The Box a *breeze*.

* Note: I'm on the high side of 40 - and if I've got to have some baggage in the relationship, I'd MUCH rather have it on her hips than on her lips.
You came to this thread expecting someone to talk you out of wanting a DRZ400?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Jabs posted:

or 6 grand on a DRZ400SM, instead.

Better yet spend 2-4 grand on a DRZ and be happy

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Better yet spend 2-4 grand on a DRZ and be happy

Winner. gently caress buying new.

(As I have one DRZ in pieces in the garage and another one that I'm frantically swapping stock parts off as fast as possible).

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Winner. gently caress buying new.
Requires full purchase price up front. The guy at Colorado Powersports that stuck around with me when I broke the Victory Hammer (Love that name!) recognized me when I came in to buy tubes for the SR250, and he's keeping an eye out for a used SM under $3000 for me.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 18, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Jabs posted:

Requires full purchase price up front. The guy at Colorado Powersports that stuck around with me when I broke the Victory Hammer (Love that name!) recognized me when I came in to buy tubes for the SR250, and he's keeping an eye out for a used SM under $3000 for me.

So save up a bit longer or take out a personal loan. As long as you are not a complete dumbass and are halfway capable of wrenching on a bike I see no reason to buy new.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I had the same problem looking for DRZs at dealers vs. craigslist/forums. I ended up putting most of my $3k purchase on a 0% APR advance check offer my credit card happened to send me, and used the equity in my car when I refinanced my loan with penfed for the rest.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Hey, can you SuMo out any bike? Cause I'm thinking one of those Aprilia 450MXs would be a loving hoot on the road. You need what? Headlight, turn signals and brake lights?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

PadreScout posted:

Hey, can you SuMo out any bike? Cause I'm thinking one of those Aprilia 450MXs would be a loving hoot on the road. You need what? Headlight, turn signals and brake lights?

depends what state you are in. Some don't require turn signals, some you will not be able to register an off road vehicle no matter what you do.

In Arizona you just need a headlight, brake light, and a horn.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

PadreScout posted:

It would be great, but you have to remember that it's an MX bike, setup for MX courses that do not run high speeds/rpms for extended periods of time. I have seen people convert CRFs to road bikes and the general problems with them were cooling issues. The rads would boil over and the engine would seize from heat.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

PadreScout posted:

http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Model/20985/SXV+4.5+-+5.5/Overview.aspx

In my opinion no bike is really a Supermoto if you can't/shouldn't jump it. You need 17" or 16.5" wheels, a bigger front brake, and some suspension work. The MXV would make a great race bike, and an very fun but high maintenance street bike. Just like the current SXV.

The MXV must be new, I wonder if they will base an updated SXV on the new MXV frame and engine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

I have a friend who has a SXV550 and he loves it but the maintenance intervals are insane, and the engine spent a lot of time being split because of teething issues (they used the wrong sealant on the bikes initially, leading to weird blown headgasket problems). Once they got that sorted out though, he loved it. A truly mental bike.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
You guys all suck, I read through this and now I am going to have SM on the brain.

My wife will literally kill me though if I start talking about buying one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So don't talk about it, just do it! :haw: Buy her one too...you can join the ranks of the CA households with matching sumos!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Holy crap I went on e-bay just to drool over the 400SMs but there doesn't seem to be any listed on there right now.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Holy crap I went on e-bay just to drool over the 400SMs but there doesn't seem to be any listed on there right now.

Buy mine.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Spiffness posted:

Buy mine.

Where is it located!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

rifles posted:

Where is it located!

Seattle

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Spiffness posted:

Seattle
Where's your CA Marketplace Thread?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Posting after the 4th ride of my life. god drat I love this thing. Nothing better than booting it down some back road then making a hard turn down a dirt path and up a mountain.

Got about 400km on her so far, I've done the first oil change which was pretty dark. I'm thinking about an edge tail light and possibly a corbin seat - anyone have an experience with one of these? the stock one absolutely kills my rear end and I'm planning on making a few (noisy) trips on the highway.

(stock bike mine)

extra points: canadian submarine; why?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Niven posted:

Posting after the 4th ride of my life. god drat I love this thing. Nothing better than booting it down some back road then making a hard turn down a dirt path and up a mountain.

Got about 400km on her so far, I've done the first oil change which was pretty dark. I'm thinking about an edge tail light and possibly a corbin seat - anyone have an experience with one of these? the stock one absolutely kills my rear end and I'm planning on making a few (noisy) trips on the highway.

Corbin seats are alright, they're better than Sargents , but not as good as say a Russell.

For the hot poop on seats, check out what the Iron Butt guys are doing- they do not gently caress around when it comes to comfort so they're pretty reliable information far as seats, windscreen, that type of thing.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
So I made my dirt bike helmet my supermoto helmet. I like the look, I know a lot of people won't but who cares.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

On a side note, my DRZ started running like crap today. Stalled at every stop if I wasn't revving it. I think the issue has to do with the fact that the temp and humidity jumped way up in the last few days.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to getting running better? I thought I just needed to adjust my air/fuel screw but I couldn't seem to dial it in. Should I be turning the screw in more or screwing it out for higher temp and humidity? (also which direction does what?)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

So I made my dirt bike helmet my supermoto helmet. I like the look, I know a lot of people won't but who cares.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

On a side note, my DRZ started running like crap today. Stalled at every stop if I wasn't revving it. I think the issue has to do with the fact that the temp and humidity jumped way up in the last few days.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to getting running better? I thought I just needed to adjust my air/fuel screw but I couldn't seem to dial it in. Should I be turning the screw in more or screwing it out for higher temp and humidity? (also which direction does what?)

Is there a point besides the look?

Have you tried bumping up the idle a bit? Higher temps mean you'll need to lean it out, although I'd be more inclined to say you should try some fresh gas and go over the basics first...high heat and humidity shouldn't change things that much. Check your air filter, etc.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Thanks for the tips. I'll check them off systematically tomorrow.

As for the helmet, just for looks. :rice:

EDIT: I did bump the idle up and it seemed to help a bit but sounded like it was "running too high" for me. I could be wrong. Also I should note that when I first turn it on and warm it up, it runs great including revving the engine. After riding, the engine feels really jerky and as I come to an idle after higher revs, it stalls.

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them off systematically tomorrow.

As for the helmet, just for looks. :rice:

EDIT: I did bump the idle up and it seemed to help a bit but sounded like it was "running too high" for me. I could be wrong. Also I should note that when I first turn it on and warm it up, it runs great including revving the engine. After riding, the engine feels really jerky and as I come to an idle after higher revs, it stalls.

Bumping the idle is a bandaid solution anyways, I've only used it when I think i got some bad gas/had some poo poo in my tank and had to clear it out, usually with copious amounts of throttle or some seafoam. I always had to turn it back down afterwards.

I'd be inclined to say that you're running rich if it's great when cold but gets worse when it gets hotter and the engine heats up. Maybe try a quarter turn in on the fuel adjustment and see if that improves things? I'd take note of where the adjustment is at and go from there.

This is all said with the disclaimer that I'm absolutely poo poo at tuning carbs at idle, I rely on Bunway Airlines to ride my bikes and then adjust them based off of what she feels, she has a gift for it. For some reason I just can never seem to get it right but she usually nails it after 2-3 progressive adjustments...I always end up just throwing things and getting angry.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
So is 3500 a good price for a DRZ400SM with 7000 miles? I'm thinking of picking one up in the fall but this just popped up and I'm thinking of using it as my standard when actually looking at bikes around here.

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/1758819608.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

shaitan posted:

So is 3500 a good price for a DRZ400SM with 7000 miles? I'm thinking of picking one up in the fall but this just popped up and I'm thinking of using it as my standard when actually looking at bikes around here.

Seems like a fair deal, not a great one, not a ripoff. DRZs are still holding their value pretty well.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

shaitan posted:

Here's the 'national touchstone' I'd use for gauging price...
http://craiglook.com/motorcycles.html?q=DRZ400SM&g=1000&s=1
They're running $2800-$7000, you can use that link and look at the condition of other bikes around that price range all over the country. Might be that you can find one in similar condition for cheaper, but have to make a day trip/weekend out of going to get it.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Got the DRZ running better. Part of it was definitely that the idle was set too low. So now it's not stalling but still not running correctly.

If I'm running in a lower gear at a higher RPM, I am still getting a surging feeling. (and you can hear that it doesn't sound right) I tried messing with my air/fuel at different setting s everywhere from completely turned in to 3 full turns out. It feels the best with the screw almost all the way in but still not good.

Any ideas?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What is your current jetting/mod setup?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Thumpertalk FCR 39 kit, 3x3 airbox mod, full Yosh exhaust.

Set up per thumertalk
sea level,aftermarket pipe with open muffler-
160 main jet
200 main air jet
EMN needle
clip 3
45 pilot jet
remove pilot air jet
2 turns fuel screw
o-ring mod

Only now I'm running about 1/2 turns fuel screw.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd start a thread on thumpertalk...eddie really knows his stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well the previous owner of my DRZ wants to buy it back...I'm kind of tempted so I can buy something less practical.

So if I wanted something that could be found used for under 5k what would CA recommend? It won't see commuting, I've got the SV for that. It won't see much off road other than mild gravel roads, I've got the KDX for that. It WILL see a lot of time at the gap/dragon, track days and an occasional ride to work (25 miles backroads).

Right now I am thinking KTM, Husky or maybe if I'm feeling really stupid Aprilia.

• Locked thread