Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

stevefukkinc posted:

Just wanted to throw out there, Slices are definitely the best new band I've heard since Sex/Vid. (Not that they sound anything alike, just in terms of raw impact.) The slices lp is a total mess, and probably shouldn't work, but it works and gets me moshing.

who likes shirts?

Sell me the Neil Perry and City Of Caterpillar shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Are there any good shows this weekend in Baltimore? Or a good site to look for them on?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My friend just called me from a Rehasher show. Said Mikey Erg went onstage and played Pray For Rain adn Saturday Night Crap-o-Rama with them. Wish I could've seen that

viva
Jan 18, 2007

Long live the jams.
Sabertooth Zombie loving rules.
Their new EP, "Human Performance" loving rules.

Here's a live studio version of one of the songs on said EP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztUiI-q2rAM

viva fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 15, 2010

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Dickeye posted:

My friend just called me from a Rehasher show. Said Mikey Erg went onstage and played Pray For Rain adn Saturday Night Crap-o-Rama with them. Wish I could've seen that

Mikey Erg is a really nice guy!
I saw him play at Ronny's in Chicago with The Dopamines, and he was wearing a badass Toy Dolls shirt, which I complimented him on. And then he bought me a shot of whiskey.

He told me he pretty much joined that band to play at Windy City Sound Clash, and ended up loving being a part of it :)

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

viva posted:

I <3 hardcore bands that start smoking weed and making stoner metal. Human Performance is AMAZING.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

viva posted:

Oh my god that rules

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Ugh, I'm probably more excited about listening to the new Sed Non Satiata album than I should be, but I still have a weak spot for the French skramz (especially SNS).

Converge/Coalesce/Gaza/Black Breath/Lewd Acts tonight, gettin' pumped.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I thought Lewd Acts dropped off the tour? Which is a shame because I was expecting them to be the highlight of that show for me.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

ChrisFarley posted:

I thought Lewd Acts dropped off the tour? Which is a shame because I was expecting them to be the highlight of that show for me.

pretty sure that show isn't for like 2 weeks? and I never heard they were dropping off. Either way, I've never seen Converge or Harvey Milk and Black Breath is gunna own.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I get to see hosed Up tomorrow. Holy poo poo it's gonna be awesome.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

ChrisFarley posted:

drat, I forgot about that.

baberaham lincoln posted:

pretty sure that show isn't for like 2 weeks? and I never heard they were dropping off. Either way, I've never seen Converge or Harvey Milk and Black Breath is gunna own.

Lewd Acts were supposed to play here tonight. I guess they won't though. I wish Harvey Milk was coming here, too, since they're one of my favorites. I've seen Coalesce and Converge live before, and I'm thinking Black Breath and Gaza will be good.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Can't believe I loving missed that tonight. I forgot about it until Friday and there was nothing I could do because I had to work.

In slightly related news some dude came into my work today with an AK Press hoodie. Weird as gently caress in this town.

EDIT: And only now realized he was probably in one of the bands :downs:

rivals fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 17, 2010

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

rivals posted:

Can't believe I loving missed that tonight. I forgot about it until Friday and there was nothing I could do because I had to work.

Sorry to hear that, man. You could've won a pair of tickets on New Noise last Wednesday too!

Ridiculously good show, though, and Lewd Acts was replaced by Touche Amore, so that aspect wasn't such a letdown.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
I don't usually get down with the pop punk influenced punk that a lot of people in this thread are down with but I saw Night Birds yesterday with Wasted Time and they were loving incredible. So tight and really catchy. Wasted Time was awesome as well but that goes without being said.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

answersyouseek posted:

I don't usually get down with the pop punk influenced punk that a lot of people in this thread are down with but I saw Night Birds yesterday with Wasted Time and they were loving incredible. So tight and really catchy. Wasted Time was awesome as well but that goes without being said.

This is what happens when ex-Ergs members are in bands. They're all great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gerfatty posted:

This is what happens when ex-Ergs members are in bands. They're all great.

I was just gonna ask, is that Joe's new band?

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all
Night Birds do loving rock. They had one of the best short releases so far this year and I can't wait for a full album.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
pressed my first split color vinyl with this release, so exciting.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I don't really know if this is the thread for it, but does At the Drive In count as punk? I've seen them labeled as hardcore but they're one of my favorite bands. If they do, could anyone recommend a band out now that's similar to them? I know one of the members joined The Mars Volta..but that's more experimental/progressive. I like them but they're much less "punk" than ATDI was.

Again, if they don't count then I'm sorry for thread making GBS threads :(

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Not current at all but some of The White Octave - Style No 6312 has an ATDI feel to it. They rule.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

I've heard about like 6 bands this week that are Lady Gaga punk/cover acts

:suicide:

loving retarded

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

aniero posted:

I've heard about like 6 bands this week that are Lady Gaga punk/cover acts

:suicide:

loving retarded

Was Lady Skaga one? Those guys own.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I got obsessed with the Electric Chairs for a while and just bought the Wayne County and the Electric Chairs - Storm The Gates of Heaven lp which is pretty great, only a few songs that didn't jump out at me after a few listens. Kinda reminds me of the Tar Babies in a really good way.

I've started buying all the "bad" Saints records which are still really good, despite conventional opinion.

also, mandatory listening, Vilently Ill.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I don't really know if this is the thread for it, but does At the Drive In count as punk? I've seen them labeled as hardcore but they're one of my favorite bands. If they do, could anyone recommend a band out now that's similar to them? I know one of the members joined The Mars Volta..but that's more experimental/progressive. I like them but they're much less "punk" than ATDI was.

Nah, don't worry about it, they're definitely somewhere in the punk/hardcore genre. I'm not sure what parts of them you like, but try out some of this:

The Fall Of Troy (I've never liked them, but a lot of people who like ATD-I like these guys)
Drive Like Jehu (Basically classic stuff)
Antigua y Barbuda (Vocalist even sounds somewhat like Cedric from ATD-I, and they're a bit chuggier)
Armchairpolitician (Their full-length is pretty long but worth it)
Haram (Just because I've always liked all of those CoC/pg.99 side projects)
Risk Revival by Hot Cross (Their worst album IMO, but probably the easiest to digest if you're not used to the genre)
Million Dead (Brits)
Sparta (The dude who does some backing vocals and rhythm guitar from ATD-I is in this, try Porcelain)

This is just off the top of my head, since I'm not at home, and I don't really listen to any of these groups anymore except for Hot Cross, Drive Like Jehu, Armchairpolitician occasionally, but hopefully some of it works out for you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

Nah, don't worry about it, they're definitely somewhere in the punk/hardcore genre. I'm not sure what parts of them you like, but try out some of this:

The Fall Of Troy (I've never liked them, but a lot of people who like ATD-I like these guys)
Antigua y Barbuda (Vocalist even sounds somewhat like Cedric from ATD-I, and they're a bit chuggier)
Risk Revival by Hot Cross (Their worst album IMO, but probably the easiest to digest if you're not used to the genre)
Million Dead (Brits)
Sparta (The dude who does some backing vocals and rhythm guitar from ATD-I is in this, try Porcelain)

This is just off the top of my head, since I'm not at home, and I don't really listen to any of these groups anymore except for Hot Cross, Drive Like Jehu, Armchairpolitician occasionally, but hopefully some of it works out for you.

I'll second Drive Like Jehu and Million Dead, plus throw in a suggestion for BearVsShark. Terrorhawk is a pretty amazing album falling into that early-2000s post-hardcore set.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Million Dead are loving awesome. "Carthego Est Delenda" and "The Rise And Fall" are two of my favorite songs ever.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Wiretap Scars and to a lesser extent Austere were both much better. Though I may just love those out of nostalgia.

rivals fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 23, 2010

fastpork
Jul 16, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Check out mewithoutYou, they cover a similar style, and Aaron really sounds like Cedric to me. The only thing is that they are a christian band, though they cover more spiritual tones than just jebus praising. I don't actually mind it, because they are so damned good. Catch for Us the Foxes particularly reeks of ATDI, IMO.

And seconding Bear Vs. Shark, who come off as Modest Mouse meets ATDI, and as those are two of my favorite groups, I really like BvS.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

rivals posted:

Wiretap Scars and to a lesser extent Austere were both much better. Though I may just love those out of nostalgia.

Wiretap Scars has a few slower songs on it, so a fan of ATDI might not be into it, but gently caress was Cut Your Ribbon my anthem when it came out.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

rivals posted:

Yeah, I dunno why I chose to recommend Porcelain, since I used to like it and Wiretap Scars just about the same amount. Hell, Wiretap Scars is closer to ATD-I, too.

It was probably just because "Breaking The Broken" is on it, and I still like that song a lot.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I'll second Drive Like Jehu and Million Dead, plus throw in a suggestion for BearVsShark. Terrorhawk is a pretty amazing album falling into that early-2000s post-hardcore set.

I'll third Drive Like Jehu. The song "Here Come the Rome Plows" just might be one of the raddest songs ever.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

trans fat posted:

Wiretap Scars has a few slower songs on it, so a fan of ATDI might not be into it, but gently caress was Cut Your Ribbon my anthem when it came out.

Man, Wiretap Scars is a great album, I haven't listened to it in forever. That riff at the beginning of Red Alibi is just incredible.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Gloom - Recommendation of Perdition 12" reissue out June 15th from Crust War. If you don't have this in your collection, just give up at life. The most destructive and intense record ever.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Urss really stole the show, Kyklooppein Sukupuuto was pretty sloppy and the singer was so drunk or high or something he just kept shaking his hands. Jonne was a demon on drums though. Duress and Daylight Robbery opened, Duress killed.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Million Dead (Brits)

Wow thanks a lot. I really really like Sparta a lot so far. I've always liked Fall of Troy, but I didn't know why. I ordered the white octave cd after hearing about how great they are plus they're from my neck of the woods (I live 40 minutes away from Chapel Hill).

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sharon is Karen posted:

I'll third Drive Like Jehu. The song "Here Come the Rome Plows" just might be one of the raddest songs ever.

:haw: holy poo poo

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 23, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fastpork posted:

Check out mewithoutYou, they cover a similar style, and Aaron really sounds like Cedric to me. The only thing is that they are a christian band, though they cover more spiritual tones than just jebus praising. I don't actually mind it, because they are so damned good. Catch for Us the Foxes particularly reeks of ATDI, IMO.

Don't do this because mewithoutyou are terrible.

trans fat posted:

gently caress yes. Cut Your Ribbon is still my jam.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I ordered the white octave cd after hearing about how great they are plus they're from my neck of the woods (I live 40 minutes away from Chapel Hill).

That's awesome. I know the singer was in Cursive for a while way back when.

terrorized
Sep 5, 2006

burning-fvckin'-spirits.
Anyone excited for Chaos in Tejas this weekend? because I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Hopefully the updates for Sound And Fury keep getting better. The first list had no bands I want to see but the next update has Bane, Punch, and Loma Prieta. Hopefully it will be worth going to.