Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Was 28 Weeks Later as much as a disaster for others as it was for me? About the only thing I liked about that movie was the music.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

andyouandi posted:

That's what I thought but could never understood why he wanted her wacked? (wouldn't he try to wack Henry first?)

Huh I had always interpreted that as Karin being paranoid as a result of their whole situation or it being ambiguous as to what Jimmy's intentions were.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside

ServoMST3K posted:

So has anyone seen "Der Boxprinz" (2002)? It looks like I would have to order it from some German site, and am definitely considering doing so. Yes, I know, I only found out about it because the guy played Vigo, but his life story seems drat fascinating.

I'm only going to drag this post up once just in case someone missed it. Has anyone seen the film in question? Any opinions would be appreciated.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254195/

Tears for Fears
Aug 26, 2005

by Smythe

bad movie knight posted:

Also it has a recurring gag that seems to say, "Rape's OK, as long as the rapist's a she, and if she's hot, well even better...you two might end up dating!"

I have no problem with this at all. Sorry that we disagree...if you need me I'll be getting sex forced on me by a hot chick.

TonTon
May 1, 2008

kapalama posted:

Was 28 Weeks Later as much as a disaster for others as it was for me? About the only thing I liked about that movie was the music.

Yes, I hate this movie, too. I don't even remember the music because when I wasn't asleep, I was angry at the film for being so retarded. I did like the opening bit, but the rest of it is just so insanely horrible it basically ruins the one good part of the film.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I was curious what Nine was about, and looked at the abstract. It seemed familiar, then I looked at 8 1/2. Same summery! Holy poo poo does that means a remake of one of the best Italian films ever involves Fergie?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 19, 2010

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
double post

2xSlick
Feb 9, 2010

kapalama posted:

It's a thinly-veiled anti-Bush film in which zombie survivalists/the military act like complete idiots and get ated. I had enough of that with Land of the Dead.

Has there ever been a Kung Fu movie set in Spaaaaace?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

twistedmentat posted:

So I was curious what Nine was about, and looked at the abstract. It seemed familiar, then I looked at 8 1/2. Same summery! Holy poo poo does that means a remake of one of the best Italian films ever involves Fergie?

Sort of. It's a movie version of a musical that was essentially a remake of 8 1/2. Featuring Fergie.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Philip J Fry posted:

I loved Sunshine -- up until the third act when ...
I watched it until the oxygen garden caught fire. They couldn't be bothered to just pack enough oxygen for 7 people on their bajillion-ton ship but instead had one single facility for producing the oxygen? Without which everyone dies? When they extinguished the fire by spraying it with pure oxygen, that was the last drop. I had to stop watching the movie. It was just too stupid. I don't think I've ever done that before. I swear I'm not a film physics nitpicker, I can watch Armageddon with no problems! But not this...

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

2xSlick posted:

It's a thinly-veiled anti-Bush film in which zombie survivalists/the military act like complete idiots and get ated. I had enough of that with Land of the Dead.

Trap sprung, the truth is that the military was 1) right 2) the good guys. You've been fooled by the ironic presentation.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

cyberbug posted:

I watched it until the oxygen garden caught fire. They couldn't be bothered to just pack enough oxygen for 7 people on their bajillion-ton ship but instead had one single facility for producing the oxygen? Without which everyone dies? When they extinguished the fire by spraying it with pure oxygen, that was the last drop. I had to stop watching the movie. It was just too stupid.

That is actually the way any deep space ship would have to work. I have to spoiler the lot of it, but in this case, the realism of 'Sunshine' science in this regard is one of those cases where previous bad science in science fiction has spoiled us. It was one of those things that previous science fiction hand waved away, and this science fiction got right, because it did not use those three usual science fiction tropes: 'Endless Energy', Faster than Light travel, 'Everything is Space is just a day away'. Star Wars would have been boring if it used real science to address those three issues. 'Sunshine' uses real(er) science which forces them to address these issues.

Ask anyone who has worked on a sub, and they will tell just how much Soda Sorb (CO2 absorber) ends up gettting dumped out at the end of a voyage. In the movie they called it an oxygen garden, but it is more than than. High CO2 will kill you as easily as low O2. And Soda Sorb is amazingly heavy. In a sub, weight is simply not an issue. In real space travel that pays attention to escape velocity energy of as a true cost, you simply cannot bring supplies, you have to bring recycling systems. There would for instance be no way to carry enough water. You have to recycle it. Science fiction that does not invent instantaneous travel, and endless energy uses these two recycling systems as a given: Drinking your cleaned pee, and Biological systems to recycle CO2 and Oxygen, and to generate food from poop.

Remember the size of those rovers they sent to Mars? The reason they sent tiny things in real space missions is because accelerating things to escape velocity is the biggest cost of space travel. The reason of the space elevator and Moon base, and all those other things, is to develop a way of getting heavy objects out of Earth's gravity somehow, or finding a place to make them already outside the Earth's gravity well.

Additionally, any amount of pure O2 is an enormous fire hazard (O2 fire the killer in sub fires and hyberbaric chamber accidents), and requires incredibly heavy tanks. Once the tanks are empty, (and they would be used fast, even in am emergency) they would be dead weight since the means to fill them is way outside on-board abilities.

A further point about the Plant recycling is the delicacy of the electronics needed to scrub CO2 and inject O2. Even if they could carry enough Soda Sorb and O2 tanks (which they cannot for weight reasons), they would still need a very delicate electronic system to measure, scrub and inject. A power failure even a short amount of time could kill everyone. Plant O2/CO2 recycling is simply the wasy it would have to be done. We have spent billions of years (plants and us) evolving our symbiotic system.

This is a case where previous science fiction allowed lots of bad science in the name of driving a story. Previous 'bad science' science fiction has made people forget to wonder how people would manage to breathe for extended period of time. This movie gets it right. Every other movie that does not mention it (usually by means of the bad science magic of faster than light travel, and endless supplies of energy) is at fault. Blame the other movies and fiction for getting it wrong. Don't blame this one for getting it right.

Also worth pointing out that if there were endless energy (like so much science fiction pretends there is), then the 'Sunshine' story would not need to restart the sun, thus the whole movie's plot would be unnecessary. It would be an aesthetic choice, not a necessity for survival.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 19, 2010

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
On NASA missions with the moon buggy they even went as far as to remove bandages from the first aid kit to compensate for the extra weight.

2xSlick
Feb 9, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

Trap sprung, the truth is that the military was 1) right 2) the good guys. You've been fooled by the ironic presentation.

I should have clarified, I was referring to all the survivors in military fatigues in LotD and the kids/dad from Weeks. I think you're giving Weeks too much credit. The irony was unintentional. We were supposed to root for the kids.

2xSlick fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 19, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

2xSlick posted:

We were supposed to root for the kids.

The point being that rooting for the family is definitively the path of destruction throughout the entire film. They inadvertently wreck everything under the guise of being the most humane characters in the movie.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Tears for Fears posted:

I have no problem with this at all. Sorry that we disagree...if you need me I'll be getting sex forced on me by a hot chick.
A) Not everyone thinks Isla Fischer is hot.

B) Imagine if the genders were reversed. Are we really for a mainstream Hollywood comedy in which a woman gets raped repeatedly by Jason Statham and enjoys it -- oh wait, Crank. :(

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Someone tell me what the hell happened in Valhalla Rising?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Admiral Bosch posted:

Someone tell me what the hell happened in Valhalla Rising?
Valhalla rose.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Sort of. It's a movie version of a musical that was essentially a remake of 8 1/2. Featuring Fergie.

I probably hate her more than Justin Beiber. No one calls Beiber a musical genius, but Rolling Stone just called her (and the rest of the BEP) exactly that.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
So I just saw the 1997 Funny Games and honestly I loved it a lot, minus the last 10 minutes. Is the US remake worth a watch? If it's a shot for shot replication I'm not so interested. Is there anything different? How are the performances compared to the original?

widunder
May 2, 2002

the Bunt posted:

So I just saw the 1997 Funny Games and honestly I loved it a lot, minus the last 10 minutes. Is the US remake worth a watch? If it's a shot for shot replication I'm not so interested. Is there anything different? How are the performances compared to the original?
Nope, shot for shot remake that's still two hours of being lectured.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I just watched the 3.5hr version of Das Boot and then discovered that there is a 5+ hour version. Did I miss anything special?

bad movie knight posted:

Yeah, The Wedding Crashers made me feel really icky. It's funny in parts, but goddamn if it isn't morally repugnant and not in a good Bad Santa sort of way.

I am shocked that there hasn't been a Funeral Crashers prequel/sequel made yet.

kapalama posted:

Yes, it was one of the worst I've seen this decade. An absolute chore to get through and one of the worst sequel drop-offs I've witnessed.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Zogo posted:

I just watched the 3.5hr version of Das Boot and then discovered that there is a 5+ hour version. Did I miss anything special?

Das Boot was originally a television miniseries that got cut to movie length for theatrical release.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Das Boot was originally a television miniseries that got cut to movie length for theatrical release.

According to wikipedia it was the other way around. Originally a 2.5 hour movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Zogo posted:

According to wikipedia it was the other way around. Originally a 2.5 hour movie.

Well, dang. That's what I get for not looking up information before posting.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
There is this one movie I can't remember what this scene is from.

A guy (the hero?) points his fingers at a room of bad guys and says "Bang" at each one he points to, and they start snickering and mocking him, until an unseen ally shoots them and that's all I can remember.

What I DO know:

A. It is not the Losers, as I have not seen it.
2. It is not Gran Torino.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

A guy (the hero?) points his fingers at a room of bad guys and says "Bang" at each one he points to, and they start snickering and mocking him, until an unseen ally shoots them and that's all I can remember.

What I DO know:

I believe this is Crank.

(Let's go for 2 in a row someone prove me wrong on this as well.)

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What I DO know:

While it's probably not what you're looking for, the movie Real Men has a scene where John Ritter sneaks through a gunfight while repeatedly pointing his finger at bad guys and saying "Bang!"

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Not that talking about movies here is bad, but there is a 'Help me Identify a Movie thread' here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I believe this is Crank.

(Let's go for 2 in a row someone prove me wrong on this as well.)

No, that sounds like Crank.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
That happens in Crank 1 and 2, and if they make a third one, I hope to God it happens again.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Rake Arms posted:

That happens in Crank 1 and 2, and if they make a third one, I hope to God it happens again.

Crank 3D: Everyone Dies Happy

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

kapalama posted:

:science:

That's all well and good but what about extinguishing the fire with pure oxygen?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Ninja Gamer posted:

That's all well and good but what about extinguishing the fire with pure oxygen?

What's the question? They flooded the garden with stored oxygen to burn the fire as quickly as possible. If they let it burn slowly it would have consumed more of the ship and kept them from reaching the sun. It was a calculated risk to sacrifice a chance of a return voyage in order to complete the mission. I thought that was pretty clearly expressed.

I just saw Walkabout for the first time and one scene confused me. One of the first nights after meeting the aborigine they play in a tree. When they're about to go to sleep the girl notices that her legs have been scratched up and there are some flash cuts to the tree. The girl looks at the aborigine and says, "Oh dear" with what seems to me with some added weight. Was there some deeper implication there,or is it just showing that she hurt her legs?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Does Raw Meat go anywhere? I shut it off after 25 minutes of horribly dull dialogue concerning a "drunk" that falls asleep on some stairs. The american is one of the worst actors I have ever seen.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Ninja Gamer posted:

I figure for a fire you either remove the fuel or the oxygen. If they couldn't vent out the oxygen and nobody in the pod to manually use an extinguisher the only other solution was to remove the fuel. Is a sustained burn worse than a short high temp flare? I guess it depends but a long fire would add lots of smoke which might be a problem for a closed system like that.

I figure it's one of those things that sound insane at first but make sense in context, like using explosives to put out fires. At first you go "wait, what" and then the reasoning makes sense.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Tender Bender posted:

Huh I had always interpreted that as Karin being paranoid as a result of their whole situation or it being ambiguous as to what Jimmy's intentions were.

I dunno it always seemed clear to me it really was an intended hit with the shot of the two guys inside the store.

Then again it's hard to believe Henry and Karen didn't get whacked in the period from him getting arrested to turning state's. I know Jimmy tries to do it at the end subtly sending Henry to Florida for the "hit" but still he should have known Henry was smarter than that.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

cletepurcel posted:

I dunno it always seemed clear to me it really was an intended hit with the shot of the two guys inside the store.

Then again it's hard to believe Henry and Karen didn't get whacked in the period from him getting arrested to turning state's. I know Jimmy tries to do it at the end subtly sending Henry to Florida for the "hit" but still he should have known Henry was smarter than that.

I never interpreted it as a hit, because how would murdering his wife do anything but make Henry resolve to testify against Jimmy? I took it that there was a fair chance Karen was going to be kidnapped or threatened for leverage over Henry, but really the most important thing to take from that and the diner scene is that Karen and Henry are both at the point where they are terrified of Jimmy and wary of taking part in his shady operations because they suspect a setup.

It's never made entirely clear in the film whether or not Jimmy genuinely was poised to turn on them - he could just have easily sent Henry on the hit so that he was carrying a heavy enough charge to discourage him from turning informant, which I believe is a routine thing for guys getting made in the mob anyway. Sure Jimmy is that ruthless, but Karen and Henry aren't really reliable narrators by that point, either, and Goodfellas is presented from their subjective viewpoints for the most part.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

It was definitely malicious, whatever it was. Jimmy was loving pissed that she didn't go in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
[About Sunshine]

Ape Agitator posted:

I figure it's one of those things that sound insane at first but make sense in context, like using explosives to put out fires. At first you go "wait, what" and then the reasoning makes sense.
No, it really doesn't make any sense. This isn't really some sort of bizarre science fiction scenario that will only be considered in the far-flung future or something. This is a practical problem that's been well explored through the entire history of manned spaceflight and the `solution' to the problem in the film is precisely wrong, for all the reasons you'd expect. What you would actually expect is for the ship to have a fire suppression system that actually, you know, works. What would actually constitute such a solution really depends on things we just don't know in the film, like for instance how gravity works; gravity (and momentum) behave erratically and according to rules different than those which apply in the real world.

And in addition to the engineering/design problem I mention above there are similar `wait, what' design choices in the Icarus II that make sense only if you look at them as narrative contrivances. E.g., vital systems that can only be accessed via spacewalk, whose interface involves apparently pushing a button (or the moral equivalent), and an avionics system that apparently is some sort of AI but which doesn't preemptively calculate things vital to the mission---like maintaining the angle of the shields over a course correction.

And as for kapalama's claim that carrying around a bunch of plants makes sense for the mission: no, it doesn't. That's why there aren't gardens on the ISS. To keep a person breathing for a day you need about two pounds of oxygen. To produce this much oxygen you need a couple hundred plants and enough water nutrients to keep them happy. This will weigh a gently caress of a lot more than two pounds. I don't know what the inside/outside was on the Icarus II's cruise time but given that the shielding was supposed to be 30m thick steel or something like that, a bottled oxygen supply for the crew would be rounding error in the overall throw weight of the ship. If they were planning on being in space indefinitely then creating a self-maintaining biosphere might make sense, but that certainly wasn't what the ship was intended to do.

All that being said, the retarded engineering and science isn't a major complaint I have about the film, which is more about woo sparkly transcendent metaphysical horseshit than hard science. But claiming that it's some sort of example of supremely accurate hard science is, simply, bunk.