Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I went for a drive to a nearby Wildlife Refuge, with the intention of photographing some of the ducks here in the duck factory of North America, the prairie pothole region of several tens of thousands of square kilometres of patchy wetlands surrounded by agriculture. This is ideal habitat for grain or aquatic-invertebrate-feeding birds, especially ducks. But I was only able to get reasonably close to some non-water birds.

How do I put photos here from my flickr site? I can't seem to figure out the formating, so here are some Waffleimages pictures, shrunken a bit from the versions on Flickr.

Click here for the full 1600x925 image.

These two were hanging out on my car as I was preparing to leave, so I took this shot through my living room window. What is that red thing? Everything else in the parking lot were house sparrows. It looks kinda like a juvenile cardinal, but I'm in central Saskatchewan, way too far north and west for Northern Cardinals, according to my National Geographic "Birds of North America".

Click here for the full 1600x1094 image.

Mostly what I saw were tree swallows, which are still highly cool. This one let me get pretty close. Some of them were either dive-bombing me or taking the mosquitoes that were attempting to feast upon my blood. I tried to get pictures of some in flight, but they move way too fast for that. This is the first bird picture I've taken with this camera that I'm really happy with the focus on.

Click here for the full 1200x1183 image.

Yellow-headed blackbird. This is the only one I saw today, but I expect they're fairly common, as I've seen them around before when I haven't really been looking for birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

An immature Purple Finch? That crown is really throwing me, it could be an accidental Cardinal like you said.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

theflyingexecutive posted:

An immature Purple Finch? That crown is really throwing me, it could be an accidental Cardinal like you said.
Despite the crown, the brown pattern around the eye looks a lot like the illustration of a Purple Find in my National Geographic. so, yeah, I'm going to go with immature Purple Finch. I should have thought of that, thanks!

EDIT: House Finches just reach this area at the limit of their range, and adult males seem to have a bit of brown on top of the head. So I'm changing my vote to House Finch. But credit still goes to you, as the description for Purple Finch says "compare with House Finch". Also: "...especially numerous in towns."

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 18, 2010

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah, it's House Finch, I can see the striping on the breast now.

toppro
Jun 19, 2006
I had no idea how tricky these little guys could be to catch. Kudos to those of you manage to capture the exotic ones. Even these common birds were giving me trouble.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I wish I knew more about birds. My wife got me a book on birdwatching. It has 600 birds and it says there are thousands in my area. Great, I know the names of 4.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TomR posted:

I wish I knew more about birds. My wife got me a book on birdwatching. It has 600 birds and it says there are thousands in my area. Great, I know the names of 4.

That looks like a juvenile Chipping Sparrow. It's cool, you'll get the hang of it after a while. I don't know which bird book you have, but size (even before color) can be a big help in narrowing down what kind of bird you're looking at.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's cool, you'll get the hang of it after a while. I don't know which bird book you have, but size (even before color) can be a big help in narrowing down what kind of bird you're looking at.
This is true. I can also name four:
1. LBF Little Brown Fucker
2. MBF Medium Brown Fucker
3. BAF Big Angry Fucker
4. "Seagull"

:downs:

Click here for the full 1146x898 image.

Same day as the others, here's a classic MBF. Also known as a Brown-headed Cowbird (unless I'm wrong, which I often am).

toppro posted:

I had no idea how tricky these little guys could be to catch. Kudos to those of you manage to capture the exotic ones. Even these common birds were giving me trouble.

Corvids (Crows, Ravens, Magpies, Jays, etc) are all assholes. Every last one. They know what a camera is, and they know how to spoil your shots. Well done on getting these pictures, you must have been able to distract them for that crucial instant.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 19, 2010

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

This is true. I can also name four:
1. LBF Little Brown Fucker
2. MBF Medium Brown Fucker
3. BAF Big Angry Fucker
4. "Seagull"

:downs:
Same day as the others, here's a classic MBF. Also known as a Brown-headed Cowbird (unless I'm wrong, which I often am).

Yeah that's definitely a Brown-Headed Cowbird.

So your LBFs are going to be (in order of size) warblers and sparrows
MBFs are wrens and robins
BAFs are birds of prey and loving crows

It should help you narrow it down. Then you can go to color and things like wing bars and spotted vs. striped vs. plain breasts. Does your field guide have ranges? It can also really help to just eliminate big chunks of birds because they come nowhere near you. Hope this helps. Also, we're like username buddies.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
LBFs are mostly wrens and sparrows (the wrens I've seen have been pretty small)
MBFs are overwhelmingly Sandpipers (they all look exactly the goddam same)
BAFs includes anything over 30cm wingspan, and pissed off. Such as this Parasitic Jaeger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9lhkDmNBBQ

Warblers get their own special category: LYF (they're all yellow)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Well, since we are showing off our bird-knowledge.

May I present:

A Shithawk

A pair of Giant-Shithawks

A Giant-Shithawk in flight

And a killdeer

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Think this is a Brown Thrasher. Decently big animal, not afraid of anything.

toppro
Jun 19, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

Think this is a Brown Thrasher. Decently big animal, not afraid of anything.

That looks pin sharp right at the eye. Tough to get given how much these guys tend to move.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

toppro posted:

That looks pin sharp right at the eye. Tough to get given how much these guys tend to move.
Seconding this. Awesome shot!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

It's not great, but considering it's almost a 100% crop (900 pixel wide before resizing to 800) I'm pretty happy with the result.

Bird hunting with 250mm is a bitch

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

Bird hunting with 250mm is a bitch

Yeah, it can be tough unless they are pretty close

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I took this recently. Forgot what bird it is...Any help?

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Wow... those are great. I have never seen a bird like that before, so I'm not sure of the type. Looks like a cross between a Belted Kingfisher and some sort of heron :aaaaa:.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
That's not in the wild right? Anyway amazing picture quality and great colors. Loving it.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Yeh it was in a bird aviary at the Zoo :)

Sure makes getting close a lot easier.

But I like to tell people it was shot in the wild.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

saw this fine fellow on my bike into work today

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
For some reason, this female stayed on the wire holding the bird feeder for a few minutes. Long enough for me to go and fetch the camera.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Is this a blue heron?

I don't know what this is:

A duck:

Baby geese:

Another duck:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Looks like a great blue, and a night heron? :)

Think this is a song sparrow.. Took some shots of him and then he came back again to the same tree, but with a bug in his beak and chirping his head off.

Mohawk!

edit: does look like lbb above though 'immature chipping'

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

TomR posted:

Is this a blue heron?

I don't know what this is:

A duck:

Another duck:

1. Yes. Great Blue Heron.
2. Black Crowned Night Heron
3. Female Blue-winged Teal Female Mallard (correction by Malalol)
4. Male Mallard.

Lets get specific with the names people :lol:

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 27, 2010

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Still completely lost when post-processing these types of shots.

Yellow-headed Blackbird

Tree Swallow

Red-necked Grebe

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Bahama.Llama posted:

3. Female Blue-winged Teal

Female mallard?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

Still completely lost when post-processing these types of shots.

Yellow-headed Blackbird

Tree Swallow

Red-necked Grebe

Where are you? Are you following me around? The last two weekends I've gone out shooting birds, and seen those three species both times. Your shots are much better than mine. :gonk:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Where are you? Are you following me around? The last two weekends I've gone out shooting birds, and seen those three species both times.
I was in central Alberta (Buffalo Lake) for these shots. There was someone else there at the same time as me taking pictures as well...was that you?

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Malalol posted:

Female mallard?

So true. Edited.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Finally got the house finches at my feeder to stay there for a photo. For whatever reason they spook a lit easier than everything else in my yard.

Ol Uncle Anime
Jul 3, 2009

And no one ate dinner that night.
Was testing my exposure settings in a park and got this completely on accident

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Birds!
What's this white one? Just a white goose?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

I was in central Alberta (Buffalo Lake) for these shots. There was someone else there at the same time as me taking pictures as well...was that you?
Nope, not me. I'm in Saskatoon, and I like to drive around the countryside on weekends taking poorly-composed and slightly-out-of-focus pictures. But I've yet to venture as far afield as Alberta.

So there appears to be at least 3 of us on the Prairies with such interests.

EDIT: I meant "interest in bird photography" not "interest in taking bad pictures". The latter is just me, I think.

TomR posted:

Birds!

OK, these shots are just awesome. All of your pictures are great (I grinned widely at the goose butt, not sure why), but these two are fantastic. How close were you to these little guys?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Those last two are fantastic, TomR! Nice catches!

The weather here has been really crazy and just all over the charts lately, so I haven't been able to drag my gear out for long periods waiting for birds.

This young northern cardinal got caught on my deck during a heavy shower today and the look it's giving pretty much mirrors my own mood lately. Ugh!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
^^Thanks, that bird is not having a good day.

ExecuDork posted:

OK, these shots are just awesome. All of your pictures are great (I grinned widely at the goose butt, not sure why), but these two are fantastic. How close were you to these little guys?

Thanks, butts are funny, that's why. I think I was about 20 feet away from the killdeer. They won't leave their young, which I don't think could fly yet. I probably could have gone closer, but I didn't want to give them too much of a heart attack.

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma
The rare hoversparrow:

Pretty common little guys:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Killdeer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

LPB (Large Preening Bastard - Damoiselle Crane)

I feel like I'm cheating a little, as none of my birding shots are taken in the wildy wild (London Wetland Centre).

Just upgraded to the 100-300mm f/4 Sigma - what a huge improvement over the 70-300 cheapo kit lens. Amazed at the IQ wide open, fringing mostly under control too.

Happened upon a birds of prey demo yesterday as I was about to leave:

Feisty Peregrine falcon - when I looked in its eyes I saw death

Spooked kestrel

The Molested Owl

less_than_one fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 31, 2010