Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Hard Clumping posted:

Hahahah, the idea of an homage to Bill Clinton being called "The Castle" sounds so loving perfect.

"I'm not really sure I--...oh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Carbohydrates posted:

e: I'm doing a pistol run now and I keep collecting PS20s because Shifter makes them awesome, but I never use them because I just headshot with the stealth pistol. What will I do with my half dozen PS20s?

They do a good amount of damage and hit a small area, so they're good for blowing open weak doors or slaughtering tightly-bunched groups of enemies. You could also try killing Walton Simons with only PS20s, just for the sheer cyberpunk manliness of J.C. pulling a series of futuristic Derringers out of his coat and blasting away at the much more heavily-armed Simons.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

They do a good amount of damage and hit a small area, so they're good for blowing open weak doors or slaughtering tightly-bunched groups of enemies. You could also try killing Walton Simons with only PS20s, just for the sheer cyberpunk manliness of J.C. pulling a series of futuristic Derringers out of his coat and blasting away at the much more heavily-armed Simons.

This gave me the best mental image of Simons holding JC upside down by the ankles and shaking out dozens of PS20s.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
Do PS20s stack in the inventory?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

Do PS20s stack in the inventory?

In vanilla you can only ever carry one. In Shifter you can grab more than one, but each takes up its own inventory slot. If you play The Nameless Mod, then they do stack.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Male Man posted:

In vanilla you can only ever carry one. In Shifter you can grab more than one, but each takes up its own inventory slot. If you play The Nameless Mod, then they do stack.

What a shame.

I just started a low tech playthrough (with mini-crossbows because those seem low tech. Also flare darts.) and god, is the toxin blade ever useful! It stuns the enemy like the prod, and it does toxin damage to them. It's so fun to load up on zyme and go all stabby on a bunch of NSF.

Puppy
Jan 29, 2009

I do not belong here.
I've been considering doing an all-heavy weapon playthrough, where I lugged around the GEP gun, flamethrower, and plasma rifle at all times and played turbo-aggressively. I might spec up Demolition and bring LAMs with me for more explosive flavor. Is this actually viable, though? Is there enough heavy weapon ammo in the game to sustain this strategy? I don't think I'd be have the inventory space to take the Dragon's Tooth (I'd only have six spare slots total, which would be eaten up by my multitools, lockpicks, and whatnot), so I'd have to make every shot count.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Puppy posted:

I've been considering doing an all-heavy weapon playthrough, where I lugged around the GEP gun, flamethrower, and plasma rifle at all times and played turbo-aggressively. I might spec up Demolition and bring LAMs with me for more explosive flavor. Is this actually viable, though? Is there enough heavy weapon ammo in the game to sustain this strategy? I don't think I'd be have the inventory space to take the Dragon's Tooth (I'd only have six spare slots total, which would be eaten up by my multitools, lockpicks, and whatnot), so I'd have to make every shot count.

No need for lockpicks :eng101:

I have no idea about the ammo, but playing with heavy weapons + the Dragon's Tooth would kick rear end.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Puppy posted:

Is this actually viable, though? Is there enough heavy weapon ammo in the game to sustain this strategy? I don't think I'd be have the inventory space to take the Dragon's Tooth (I'd only have six spare slots total, which would be eaten up by my multitools, lockpicks, and whatnot), so I'd have to make every shot count.

I've done this before except more retarded (I carried around three heavy weapons and a LAW, leaving no room for, well, anything) and yes, it is viable. The GEP gun has ammo everywhere and functions as a universal lockpick and camera disabler, and the flamer will kill almost anyone with a single burst - don't fire it continuously, just fan it quickly over someone to set them on fire and then let combustion do the rest. You'll probably find that the plasma gun isn't really all that great, but it can be fun to use with a truckload of mods slapped onto it.

You do have to be careful about playing too aggressively, though - if you're going to be firing your heavy weapons all over the place, ammunition will become a pretty serious issue in short order. Just be sure to make your shots count.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Puppy posted:

The plasma gun will actually kill as many dudes as are in the blast radius once you get expert, including MJ12 commandos or MIBs. Same as the GEP gun, but with a different ammo supply. I did a mostly heavy weapons only run recently on realistic, intentionally relying on the plasma gun mostly, and it was quite viable.

/\/\/\ Exactly. Don't spray shots everywhere, make them count. Kill 2 or 3 dudes with a shot, not one. Also, the plasma gun will kill the small mechs in one shot, but it takes a very large number of hits to kill big ones, just use the gep gun.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
Why does Spy Drone get such a bad rep? It may be a huge energy drainer, and it may be useless for actual spying, but for stealth based characters it's great. Being able to disable cameras, lasers, and bots with one quick zap is awesome. As long as you don't try to fly laps around the level with the drone, it think it's pretty efficient for what you get out of it. It won't use much energy when you are sending it inside a room or around a corner for instance.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Spy Drone is awesome for getting rid of those god awfully annoying spider repair drones.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

SnipeBob posted:

Why does Spy Drone get such a bad rep? It may be a huge energy drainer, and it may be useless for actual spying, but for stealth based characters it's great. Being able to disable cameras, lasers, and bots with one quick zap is awesome. As long as you don't try to fly laps around the level with the drone, it think it's pretty efficient for what you get out of it. It won't use much energy when you are sending it inside a room or around a corner for instance.
The Biomod addon for shifter is awesome; it lets the Spydrone use buttons, datapads and hack computers. You can just live in vents. Pretty sure it's faster and less energy draining too.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

SnipeBob posted:

Because most of the people who're playing this have played through enough times that they already know what they're facing.

Also it's going up against Aggressive Defense System which is awesome.

Angry Diplomat posted:

This would actually have been pretty great. You could have five potential endings: join and rule alongside the Illuminati for an unequal but relatively tolerable global society, join and rule alongside MJ12 as part of a tyrannical New World Order, revive Helios Denton as the artificial god and serve as his agent, activate Helios and merge with it yourself to become the god, or Blow It All Up and start over from scratch.

e: Christ I'm tired, I had to edit this like six times before it made sense

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. You'd have it set shortly after DX1 so it'd still feel like DX1 rather than the weird overly futuristic IW. The player would presumably be some sort of nano-augmented Denton knockoff.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The idea of the spy drone kinda weirds me out. Does JC grow some kind of head-vagina to give birth to them? Little doors that open when they roll off the nano assembly line?

Astroturf Man posted:

Also it's going up against Aggressive Defense System which is awesome.
Yup. Nothing beats standing in front of a giant military robot with high levels of :smug:.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the spy drone was actually one of the best augs in Invisible War, which was kinda neat

"kinda neat" was kinda IW's ceiling though

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Astroturf Man posted:

The player would presumably be some sort of nano-augmented Denton knockoff.

Am I weird for thinking that playing as a rogue MiB would be cool as hell? You could have your pale skin and black suit and go around making deadpan comments in your creepy echoing electro-voice.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
IW was awesome simply because of the NPC barks when you hacked an assault robot.

"Siiiiiiiiiir, IT'S DOING IT AGAIN :gonk:"

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Am I weird for thinking that playing as a rogue MiB would be cool as hell? You could have your pale skin and black suit and go around making deadpan comments in your creepy echoing electro-voice.

That would be pretty awesome. You'd have to let go of the nanoaugmentations and have some different regime of augs (as the MiBs were Series P - physiopharmaceutical - agents). You could have the pharma brainwashing poo poo slowly wearing off over the game.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
MIBs say some weird stuff, too. I recall several in the Versalife Level 2 Labs making comments about weird nightmares and such.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Velius posted:

MIBs say some weird stuff, too. I recall several in the Versalife Level 2 Labs making comments about weird nightmares and such.

Cold ... Cold and dark. It goes on forever.

There's also some datacubes in the Templar Cathedral with the WiB there talking about losing her emotions IIRC.

They were definitely written as empty vessels, which was kind of cool.

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 19, 2010

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Astroturf Man posted:

Cold ... Cold and dark. It goes on forever.

There's also some datacubes in the Templar Cathedral with the WiB there talking about losing her emotions IIRC.

They were definitely written as empty vessels, which was kind of cool.

Empty vessels that explode in a rewarding manner

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd so play a six months after collapse real sequal to Deus Ex as a rogue MiB/WiB.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd so play a six months after collapse real sequal to Deus Ex as a rogue MiB/WiB.

WiBs are pretty hot

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Other alternative would be playing as someone constructed by Helios in the UC.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I actually quite liked IW. Sure, it's not nearly as great as Deus Ex, but it had some neat things. Like, I really like the quest with the Targus (or whatever) school in Egypt, where the headmaster sold them or something like that. It was cool to explore the school and find the kid who had hidden from the headmaster. And then finding proof, delivering it to the police and then stand there looking :smug: afterwards.

I spent way too much time setting people on fire in that game...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Iacen posted:

It is a proven fact that, in any game which gives the player the ability to set things and people on fire, the majority of players will spend a disproportionate amount of time doing exactly that.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I used the spy drone a lot in my first play through when I didn't have any heavy weapons to take out those big rocket bots. I did have the dragon tooth but I tended to die from the explosion the bot made...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

GoldenNugget posted:

I used the spy drone a lot in my first play through when I didn't have any heavy weapons to take out those big rocket bots. I did have the dragon tooth but I tended to die from the explosion the bot made...

If you're quick and have the fast run aug and the "Hit dudes harder" aug you can make a circle around them, swipe like 4 times, and dash out of the explosion range before they die, IIRC. :madmax:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Astroturf Man posted:

Other alternative would be playing as someone constructed by Helios in the UC.

I'd love a sequel where the protagonist is Gunther, exploring his deep hatred of lemon-lime.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

The Supreme Court posted:

I'd love a sequel where the protagonist is Gunther, exploring his deep hatred of lemon-lime.
so does this guy

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

If you're quick and have the fast run aug and the "Hit dudes harder" aug you can make a circle around them, swipe like 4 times, and dash out of the explosion range before they die, IIRC. :madmax:

You can actually do the same thing to Dragon Tooth-armed M/WiB's by sidestepping around them just as they start their swing animation, hitting them with your own sword as you pass by, and continuing to move along that line as they collapse and explode. The whole effect is like some sort of cyberpunk power-metal samurai duel. This is even more retardedly awesome if there are a couple of MJ12 troopers nearby and they get killed by the explosion.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
To be honest, I'd be prejudiced from the start towards any sequel where JC isn't the protagonist. I just love him so much :qq:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Mathemagician posted:

so does this guy

That and Flatlander Woman are two games I'd kill to see, even only as mods of the original Deus Ex.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

You can actually do the same thing to Dragon Tooth-armed M/WiB's by sidestepping around them just as they start their swing animation, hitting them with your own sword as you pass by, and continuing to move along that line as they collapse and explode. The whole effect is like some sort of cyberpunk power-metal samurai duel.

I'd so totally watch a Sentai Denton! show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu0a8V_YUhU#t=1m14s

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ansob. posted:

My elaborately long transformation scene is augmented.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Ansob. posted:

Might I sugest agin, a skul-sword for my head. Yesterday in Batery Park, some
scum we all know pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws sword. I take 2 stabs,
1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out that dam nanno tuth

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 20, 2010

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just going through the game with Shifter and Biomod installed thanks to this thread. Fancy an unrealistic run after that too, sounds like a laugh. I keep trying a dead is dead run but I usually end up getting shot in the face on Liberty Island.

Anyone else spend too long repeatedly releasing the test subjects in Versalife? Just releasing the bum would sometimes start a huge trooper/MiB fight, but more often than not he would run into a corner and stop to proclaim 'Sold!' at me before being roasted by plasma rifle fire. There was rarely anyone left after the Grays were done.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Iacen posted:

I actually quite liked IW. Sure, it's not nearly as great as Deus Ex, but it had some neat things. Like, I really like the quest with the Targus (or whatever) school in Egypt, where the headmaster sold them or something like that. It was cool to explore the school and find the kid who had hidden from the headmaster. And then finding proof, delivering it to the police and then stand there looking :smug: afterwards.

I unfortunately had far too much fun combining those two things (Tarsus Academy, and setting people on fire) together. I swear apart from modded Fallout 3 that's the last time I can recall a game letting you kill kids. Granted, screaming little girls running away on fire and your friends on the radio being properly horrified makes it a guilty pleasure at best (I reloaded pretty much immediately after trying it), but I was surprised they actually gave you the opportunity to do that. Deus Ex 1 let you shoot the few kids they had as well if memory serves (though I never bothered).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

MadDogMike posted:

I unfortunately had far too much fun combining those two things (Tarsus Academy, and setting people on fire) together. I swear apart from modded Fallout 3 that's the last time I can recall a game letting you kill kids. Granted, screaming little girls running away on fire and your friends on the radio being properly horrified makes it a guilty pleasure at best (I reloaded pretty much immediately after trying it), but I was surprised they actually gave you the opportunity to do that. Deus Ex 1 let you shoot the few kids they had as well if memory serves (though I never bothered).

Louis Pan had it coming.