Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slvbarek posted:

I sent Universal an inquiry about it, and they sent me an email. You print that out, write out some info on it, then send that with the top flap of the Season 1 blu-ray to some PO Box. I got mine about three weeks later.

I'm pretty sure this link is what I used to contact them.
The BMK Exchange Program is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

bad movie knight posted:

The BMK Exchange Program is way better.

I just sent you my BSG Blu-Rays! I also sent in my entire DVD and Blu-Ray collection so that those cases can be upgraded to Blu-Ray style Criterion cases. Thank you BMK for the upgrade. I can't wait to get them back!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Bacon55555 posted:

I just sent you my BSG Blu-Rays! I also sent in my entire DVD and Blu-Ray collection so that those cases can be upgraded to Blu-Ray style Criterion cases. Thank you BMK for the upgrade. I can't wait to get them back!
They're in the mail. :smug:

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Bambi posted:

Pretty sure nobody at Oscilloscope has ever actually seen a Blu-Ray before. I mean really, is all of this necessary? A regular blue case will do just fine.

Oscilloscope always likes to do cool art and stuff on their packages. All of their cases are like that.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
It still sucks. The only other individual movie I have out of hundreds that doesn't come in a normal case (other than digibooks) is Close Encounters, and that was released in 2007 so at least there's an excuse. I guess it's a small gripe in the grand scheme of things though, especially considering the caliber of the movie.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

So, a film by the name of Outlander came out on Blu-Ray today. I had never heard of it before, but it appears to star James Caviezel as an alien who crash-lands on earth and helps a bunch of vikings kill another alien. Now, this seems like a pretty high concept to me, but reviews are mixed: 39% on RottenTomatoes, 6.4 on imdb. What do you say, goons? A fun little romp, or just more trash?

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

So, a film by the name of Outlander came out on Blu-Ray today. I had never heard of it before, but it appears to star James Caviezel as an alien who crash-lands on earth and helps a bunch of vikings kill another alien. Now, this seems like a pretty high concept to me, but reviews are mixed: 39% on RottenTomatoes, 6.4 on imdb. What do you say, goons? A fun little romp, or just more trash?

I watched it several months ago, and although it's not the worst movie I have ever seen I don't think I could justify buying it on Bluray. There were some parts that I liked a lot but for the most part it's just a B quality scifi film.

My recommendation is to try and get it off amazon for really cheap or wait until it's really cheap. Basically I wouldn't pay full price but if I picked it up for cheap I would be ok with it.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Watched The Road on Blu this past weekend, and it's quite nice looking. Very crisp, haunting visuals that look great in HD.

Hyphynotizer
Oct 25, 2004

Alright who wants AIDS?
Anyone have any problems with the Bourne trilogy? The first disc won't play in my ps3

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010

Hyphynotizer posted:

Anyone have any problems with the Bourne trilogy? The first disc won't play in my ps3

I just watched all three this weekend in my ps3. They worked fine, although mine are the UK edition (same thing though).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hyphynotizer posted:

Is it one of the double-sided discs? If I recall, there was some defective ones.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harlock posted:

Is it one of the double-sided discs? If I recall, there was some defective ones.

That was the third movie, and the problem was fixed before the discs hit store shelves.

Mystery Train reviewed
Alice in Wonderland reviewed

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/?tag=bluraynews-20

Amazon has the UCE of Woodstock on sale for $27.00

Wal-Mart had a "just the discs" release for a short time for $30. I cannot recommend this release enough... great film (regardless if you're into the culture or music), great presentation, and hours of extra performances.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/?tag=bluraynews-20

Amazon has the UCE of Woodstock on sale for $27.00

Wal-Mart had a "just the discs" release for a short time for $30. I cannot recommend this release enough... great film (regardless if you're into the culture or music), great presentation, and hours of extra performances.

Thanks for the heads up. Been wanting to pick that up for ages and $27 is definitely a price I can't pass on.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

WB/BBC are releasing Wonders of the Solar System on 9/7, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is getting a new release on 7/27. The only differences seem to be that the new disc has an additional commentary track and a different audio codec (TrueHD versus uncompressed PCM - weird decision).

e: releaselists is showing an 8/24 release for Shogun Assassin

Bambi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 19, 2010

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bambi posted:

WB/BBC are releasing Wonders of the Solar System on 9/7, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is getting a new release on 7/27. The only differences seem to be that the new disc has an additional commentary track and a different audio codec (TrueHD versus uncompressed PCM - weird decision).

So Crouching Tiger is finally being released as a stand alone? I've been waiting for quite a while to own it on blu.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

qbert posted:

So Crouching Tiger is finally being released as a stand alone? I've been waiting for quite a while to own it on blu.

It was already released as a standalone a couple of months ago, which makes this new release a bit puzzling.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
War of the Worlds reviewed

gently caress me sideways.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Bambi posted:

It was already released as a standalone a couple of months ago, which makes this new release a bit puzzling.

Wait, in the US? Amazon doesn't have any copies in stock, you have to buy from a 3rd party.

Edit: And Best Buy lists it as a pre-order.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Huh, that's really weird. They must have removed it, because I definitely bought it directly from Amazon for $18 last month. Blu-Ray.com says the release date was March 23.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
With any luck, they'll use the theatrical subtitles for the new Crouching Tiger BD. Though I wouldn't count on it, unfortunately.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spartacus: Blood and Sand Season One 9/21

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Spartacus: Blood and Sand Season One 9/21

I should check this out. I was warned to skip the pilot though because its horrible, but the actual season 1 is suppose to be pretty good.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched the it on the recommendation of a goon whose opinions I trust implicitly, and I don't think I've ever seen such a remarkable turnaround from "nearly unwatchable" to "remarkably awesome" in my life. It becomes an entirely different show after the pilot, and then again after the 4th or 5th episode, and both times for the better.

Check it out.

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

I watched the it on the recommendation of a goon whose opinions I trust implicitly, and I don't think I've ever seen such a remarkable turnaround from "nearly unwatchable" to "remarkably awesome" in my life. It becomes an entirely different show after the pilot, and then again after the 4th or 5th episode, and both times for the better.

Check it out.

Based on your avatar alone, I will do just that.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

I know people don't like all the extra poo poo that comes with the collector's edition and the size of the box, but this cover is great.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Eh, I like the original better.

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS

doctor thodt posted:

Welp, I think I was one of the few who really loved War of the Worlds, plus it's Spielberg on Blu, so looks like I'm definitely picking that up.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

What's all this grain bullshit? I sure hope Warner fixes this. :downs:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We need to add to the thread title "REMOVE THE loving GRAIN! :byodood:" Since that seems to have become a very common complaint among way to many blu-ray buyers. Luckily no one on here.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus

In true DVDBeaver fashion, there are nude shots of both the shark and the octopus.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Glee Season 1 9/14 with a $89.99 MSRP...yeowch.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

More info here: http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/05/19/exclusive-glee-season-1-dvd-first-look/

A $10.00 rebate ("Gleebate") if you bought the "Road to Sectionals" DVD. Still loving steep, though. What does that translate to in Amazon pre-order price? Somewhere around $55?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Demp posted:

Welp, I think I was one of the few who really loved War of the Worlds, plus it's Spielberg on Blu, so looks like I'm definitely picking that up.

I'm right there with you. I thought the film was really great! I did not know it wasn't already out on BD because I was looking for it locally. My local selections are getting pretty slim to be honest and I'm going to end up going to Amazon soon.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ah yes. While Universal kicks it like it's 2006 via DNR, Fox does it with their prices.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Glee's always going to be high because of the music rights. At least it's not $120 or something godawful like it was for American Dreams.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Aren't all full seasons of shows on blu-ray around there in MSRP?

All the retailers just end up selling them around $50-$70 anyways and calling it a "massive discount".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

qbert posted:

Aren't all full seasons of shows on blu-ray around there in MSRP?

All the retailers just end up selling them around $50-$70 anyways and calling it a "massive discount".

This is what I was thinking was going to happen.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

doctor thodt posted:

Awesome. Already had it preordered, but it's good to know they turned out a great disc. My WOTW DTS DVD will finally be retired as my go-to disc to wow folks with bowel-loosening bass in my home theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Kick-rear end 8/3

• Locked thread