Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Petey posted:

- Julian Dibbell, YLS '13

Julian is responsible for me passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newberstein
Jul 17, 2005
really....that bad
Thanks for all the replies. I knew that URM was a big factor, but I guess I didn't realize how big. Yay for being a beaner I guess!

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

newberstein posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I knew that URM was a big factor, but I guess I didn't realize how big. Yay for being a beaner I guess!

That's what I've always said. Esp. in AZ where you can get some of that sweet, sweet class action money that will come rolling in.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Petey posted:

- Julian Dibbell, YLS '13

From my first introduction to the internet---playing "gently caress You, rear end in a top hat" in Ahrnold's voice in Trekkie chatrooms on AOL---the web has been a place of ruthlessly loving with people and being full of poo poo.

So when I had to read that dumbass thing in undergrad in some composition class, and the teacher was talking seriously about a girl crying because her wizard queen was cyberraped by a clown on a text-only game, you can imagine how seriously I took it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I argued that the Mr. Bungle rape as written could potentially give rise to an IIED claim.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Bar Prep. Day Two

Christ, Property still sucks.

Though I was surprised by the pervasiveness of bad or inept professors who only teach *their* niche area of a discipline.

Although my Contracts professor was apparently much more badass than I gave him credit for at the time.

Bring a jacket into Bar Prep, hell just pack anything you think you might need from ear-plugs to caffeine pills to dirty looks to shoot at the assholes who talk or get up before you're finished on the practice MBE questions.

Kumo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 19, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Public Defender chat:
Court furlough day, so I'm home and indulging in something horrible.
COPS.
This is like watching a horror film, yelling at the screen: "NO DON'T CONSENT TO THAT SEARCH!"

Seriously, when the cop says "You are free to leave," why don't people leave?

Caligula Caesar
Feb 19, 2008

I wasn't a god after all...
Ainsley, what law school did you go to? Did I miss this somewhere along the line, or is it a closely guarded secret?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Caligula Caesar posted:

Ainsley, what law school did you go to? Did I miss this somewhere along the line, or is it a closely guarded secret?

Northeastern, I think.

I could have told you that was a bad choice, my uncle almost got kicked out of northeastern years ago for taking pills. They were malaria pills because e'd just moved there from Pakistan. :eng99:

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

nm posted:

Public Defender chat:
COPS.
This is like watching a horror film, yelling at the screen: "NO DON'T CONSENT TO THAT SEARCH!"

Surprise. Fear. And knowledge disparity. And an unwitting trust of the police. And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

Northeastern, I think.

I could have told you that was a bad choice, my uncle almost got kicked out of northeastern years ago for taking pills. They were malaria pills because e'd just moved there from Pakistan. :eng99:

Yup. I know a guy who got kicked out for bringing a gun to school. At least I think that was the story, I wasn't there but I heard about it from a guy who knows a guy

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

billion dollar bitch posted:

And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.

They show cavity searches on COPS?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

nm posted:

Public Defender chat:
COPS.

Other points of similarity between criminal law and horror movies:

The fate of the sassy black character.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Alaemon posted:

Other points of similarity between criminal law and horror movies:

The fate of the sassy black character.
The black guy has better odds in the horror movie.

Seriously, you have cocaine sitting in a bag in the cupholder, the cop has told you you are free to go and then asks, "you don't mind if I search your vehicle do you?" What part of you makes you say, "no, I don't mind."

Though if everyone refused the search, I might not have anything to do but 14601s (driving after suspension)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

nm posted:

The black guy has better odds in the horror movie.

Seriously, you have cocaine sitting in a bag in the cupholder, the cop has told you you are free to go and then asks, "you don't mind if I search your vehicle do you?" What part of you makes you say, "no, I don't mind."

Though if everyone refused the search, I might not have anything to do but 14601s (driving after suspension)

Unless you're completely trained about the applicable law or a complete sociopath, most people will default to their lifelong conditioning to obey authority. Cops can take a huge advantage of that. Especially if you're in an ethnic minority or if you're from a really downtrodden and marginalized area, you're taught early on that simple questions from cops are often not really simple questions. There's often a fear there that causes you to say "how high."

Plus, like other people brought up, stress and nervousness often dulls a suspect's ability to think calmly and rationally.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I had a guy for my clinic that was caught whacking off in a car, allowed the cop to search his car finding his crackpipe, and then as he was getting arrested the cop asked him if it was OK to search his house and the guy said "sure actually I've got some weed there."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TyChan posted:

Unless you're completely trained about the applicable law or a complete sociopath, most people will default to their lifelong conditioning to obey authority. Cops can take a huge advantage of that. Especially if you're in an ethnic minority or if you're from a really downtrodden and marginalized area, you're taught early on that simple questions from cops are often not really simple questions. There's often a fear there that causes you to say "how high."
Yeah, they have a lot of training in this and make it very hard to say no:

Anything illegal in your car?
No weapons?
Then you don't mind if I search your car?

But it still amazes me.

Also maddening is when people confess. People think they're hosed and can't lose anything by confessing well before that point.
I had a guy who was accused breaking into a common area shared by 4 tenants. The police only interviewed 1 tenant who said he didn't have their permission. We had reasonable doubt until the jackass confessed to sneaking in.

Fun fact though: ICE does not Mirandize anyone. If you have a client who was questioned about a crime (besides simple immigration violations) while in ICE custody, statement is out. Got a false document charge tossed based on that.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 20, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

nm posted:

Public Defender chat:
COPS.

dude cops is the best sitcom on TV, you're watching it all wrong

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

[GBS debate] If a cop asks to search my car, and I have nothing illegal inside, should I consent?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

also all of that poo poo about not talking, refusing consent etc. is good in theory, but say "officer I respectfully choose to exercise my rights, and I refuse to consent to a search" to a cop who wants to arrest you and you will be going to jail regardless. he'll call the K-9 unit. he'll trump up something to arrest you on and do an inventory search. don't matter one bit.

say "go ahead," and maybe he won't find that joint wedged between the seat and the console.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Phil Moscowitz posted:

also all of that poo poo about not talking, refusing consent etc. is good in theory, but say "officer I respectfully choose to exercise my rights, and I refuse to consent to a search" to a cop who wants to arrest you and you will be going to jail regardless. he'll call the K-9 unit. he'll trump up something to arrest you on and do an inventory search. don't matter one bit.

say "go ahead," and maybe he won't find that joint wedged between the seat and the console.

Not everyone lives in New Orleans.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This has never come up for me but I always thought it sounded more believable if you were just all pissy about it and said something like "gently caress no you're not tearing up my car and getting my poo poo everywhere."

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

J Miracle posted:

This has never come up for me but I always thought it sounded more believable if you were just all pissy about it and said something like "gently caress no you're not tearing up my car and getting my poo poo everywhere."

Or just say you're in a rush to get somewhere, something like, "Sorry officer, but I really have to get to X. Unless there's something you're worried about, can I please go?" Though I don't think this works for minorities.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So your advice to your clients is to consent to the search?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

dude cops is the best sitcom on TV, you're watching it all wrong
I enjoy white people behaving badly as much as the next guy, but sometimes it just screams out at me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How much legal theory as opposed to factual discovery/argument do you do in criminal work? Criminal work is starting to look appealing because it turns out that in legal malpractice, no one knows what in the gently caress, mainly because there's three different kinds of causation that have to be accounted for

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 20, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Alaemon posted:

So your advice to your clients is to consent to the search?

my advice to clients is not to drive around with drugs in their car

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Move to strike, unresponsive.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Alaemon posted:

Move to strike, unresponsive.

Sustained. Counsel?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

the question is argumentative and assumes facts not in evidence. however, in the interest of judicial economy and not waiving my objection, my answer is as follows:

no.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Well how am I supposed to get them to the school so I can sell crack to 8 year olds?

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

nm posted:

Well how am I supposed to get them to the school so I can sell crack to 8 year olds?

Juvenile couriers, of course.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
wrong thread, I suck! IGNORE ME

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 20, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How the gently caress is a K9 search not a search anyway? Which justice is the genius that thought up that rule?

e: Not, "it's a reasonable search" but "it isn't a search to begin with." Really.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
It's not my fault the dog can smell you from here.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Julian is actually a really nice guy and told me at a conference once that ARIC was unbelievably misinterpreted. He intended it to be a basic journalism / pop anthropology piece about the new and different things that were happening in cyberspace (mainly community spaces arising from what were dead DARPA data lines), but every journalist just saw RAPE RAPE RAPE INTERNET RAPE and focused on that, and the debate became whether or not internet rape was serious business, when in reality it was never about that in the first place.

I sort of feel bad for him, because he (and his work) have been caricatured in this way somewhat baselessly. But only so bad, because he did make a career out of it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

From my first introduction to the internet---playing "gently caress You, rear end in a top hat" in Ahrnold's voice in Trekkie chatrooms on AOL---the web has been a place of ruthlessly loving with people and being full of poo poo.

So when I had to read that dumbass thing in undergrad in some composition class, and the teacher was talking seriously about a girl crying because her wizard queen was cyberraped by a clown on a text-only game, you can imagine how seriously I took it.

My introduction to Julian and Second Life was an old prof at UMass talking really seriously and eloquently about both "A Rape in Cyberspace" and Second Life.

I resolved then and there that I would destroy Second Life because it was something he loved.

I went on to SA, found the SL people here, and that's how the Second Life Safari began.

Of course, that prof ended up hating it himself, and becoming my thesis adviser, but that's just proof that even old profs can be made to understand that there is inherent value in loving with people on the Internet.

SWATJester posted:

I argued that the Mr. Bungle rape as written could potentially give rise to an IIED claim.

Probably - although the same would go for 99% of stuff on the Internet, and if you explained to most goons that there was such a thing as IIED they would not understand. It's amazing what the Internet does to the sort of common decency that keeps you from loving with people in public.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

How the gently caress is a K9 search not a search anyway? Which justice is the genius that thought up that rule?

e: Not, "it's a reasonable search" but "it isn't a search to begin with." Really.
Because they don't go in your car.
Note that they cannot detain you only to wait for the dog to get there.
Courts have even tossed cases where it has taken what was obviously way to long to write a ticket (1 hr for a minor traffic infraction)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

nm posted:

Because they don't go in your car.

So?

It's like how Posner wrote in an Op/Ed that warrantless wiretapping / government coded worms / etc by definition cannot violate privacy because a computer / robot / script cannot violate privacy.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Petey posted:

Julian is actually a really nice guy and told me at a conference once that ARIC was unbelievably misinterpreted. He intended it to be a basic journalism / pop anthropology piece about the new and different things that were happening in cyberspace (mainly community spaces arising from what were dead DARPA data lines), but every journalist just saw RAPE RAPE RAPE INTERNET RAPE and focused on that, and the debate became whether or not internet rape was serious business, when in reality it was never about that in the first place.

I sort of feel bad for him, because he (and his work) have been caricatured in this way somewhat baselessly. But only so bad, because he did make a career out of it.

My introduction to Julian and Second Life was an old prof at UMass talking really seriously and eloquently about both "A Rape in Cyberspace" and Second Life.

I resolved then and there that I would destroy Second Life because it was something he loved.

I went on to SA, found the SL people here, and that's how the Second Life Safari began.

Of course, that prof ended up hating it himself, and becoming my thesis adviser, but that's just proof that even old profs can be made to understand that there is inherent value in loving with people on the Internet.

Probably - although the same would go for 99% of stuff on the Internet, and if you explained to most goons that there was such a thing as IIED they would not understand. It's amazing what the Internet does to the sort of common decency that keeps you from loving with people in public.

You'd appreciate the sheer level of crap in my paper. I cited HellMOO. My prof advisor asked me to run the Anshe Chung incident through an IIED analysis. It's awful, which is a shame because I feel like it could have come from a decent start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Petey posted:

So?

It's like how Posner wrote in an Op/Ed that warrantless wiretapping / government coded worms / etc by definition cannot violate privacy because a computer / robot / script cannot violate privacy.

David Brin's theory is that privacy is obsolete; technology makes snooping so easy that we may as well give up, admit there's no privacy anymore as a concept, and put restraints on what people can do with the information instead.

The man has a point. It's only a couple of more technological cycles until someone comes up with a surveillance cam that sees through walls, around corners and tags your Social Security number at the top of your face for 29.95 a month.