Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This old chessnut again.

Now with hair and fully rigged. I can finally start animating him and learning how to do some proper rendering. I really know nothing about the whole exposure/colour correcting type aspects of it yet, so lots to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
Nice! I like how he has a really organic, claymation kinda feel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A steampunk umbrella robot.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am having a love affair with Octane Renderer.

Just did a quick character\scene mockup before I go ahead and actually model\rig it properly to see if it works. :3:

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

tuna posted:

This old chessnut again.

Now with hair and fully rigged. I can finally start animating him and learning how to do some proper rendering. I really know nothing about the whole exposure/colour correcting type aspects of it yet, so lots to learn.

He looks like he's missing a toof :haw:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

butterypancakes posted:

Start reading sites like fxguide.

perfect, thanks

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

Just did a quick character\scene mockup before I go ahead and actually model\rig it properly to see if it works. :3:

Excellent color and composition.

olblue
Nov 9, 2003

...lets go exploring!
Fallen Rib

keyframe posted:

That is really nice work. I just downloaded the trial of Octane to test out - it looks like an excellent rendering app.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
keyframe: That's pretty slick; I agree that the composition/color are great. I kinda want to see what they'd look like slightly transparent or perhaps some slime trails? This may not be what you're going for, but just some thoughts.

tuna: I'm excited to see some animation on that guy. Really digging his suit, especially how his forearms are exposed and the large circular neck-piece.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Got a new job in today which i'll be starting on wednesday. It needs a dustcloud, so that means i've spent all day doing r&d into afterburn and craft 4 wheeler.

Such good fun, they're awesome. :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 17, 2010

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks for the comments guys.

@Olblue: It really is. It is more like photography in your scene than rendering. Pretty much the best 99$ I spent lately.

@ Le capitan: I totally agree. That is the look I want to go for at the end. Octane doesnt support SSS or translucency at the moment so it will be tricky.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I will just quickly post two more Octane renders I did. It is using tuna's scene above. The rendertimes for both of those are near instantaneous on my not so cutting edge gtx 275 card. I love how you can experiment freely without worrying about "oh poo poo I will have to wait another 5 minutes for this to render if I move my light a little or try a different composition"

keyframe fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 18, 2010

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Just posting to ask a pretty beginner-ish question:

when modelling hard surfaces, how exactly do people get rounded shapes into it without adding a billion edgeloops/poly splits?

Example: Posted earlier

The rounded parts of the...(I'm no gun guy) uhh.. revolving bit/ammo thing, how does everyone get them so smooth? Every time I try anything like that it sort of ends up being a mess of vertexes/edges and looks terrible. :(

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fool Circle posted:

Just posting to ask a pretty beginner-ish question:

when modelling hard surfaces, how exactly do people get rounded shapes into it without adding a billion edgeloops/poly splits?

Example: Posted earlier

The rounded parts of the...(I'm no gun guy) uhh.. revolving bit/ammo thing, how does everyone get them so smooth? Every time I try anything like that it sort of ends up being a mess of vertexes/edges and looks terrible. :(

That's using a normal map. I believe the divots in the cylinder are entirely normal mapped. The high poly version had a billion loops and everything and was subdivision modeled, and then normal maps were baked down for the game-rez version, which you see there. I'd imagine the tri-count on that is probably somewhere in the vicinity of 2k-3k or so, too.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Click here for the full 1492x785 image.

Yup, normal maps basically. Below is the high poly model and above is the model it was baked down to. as for a basic tutorial on normal mapping, here ya go: :) http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm

I've been stupid busy with work so 3D work slowed down to a crawl.

Just a fun little demo to show someone a quick modelling process and loving around with Xoluil's realtime viewport shader.

Click here for the full 1042x785 image.

and I decided to get back on with that SA80 I abandoned in favour of money. So many bits are going to need re-doing with what I learned doing that revolver. :sigh:

Click here for the full 1676x874 image.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Hey I had a quick question. A client is interested in me doing some 3d motion tracking for a project but I've not really done any. I'm using Lightwave. Are there any really good programs out there that I can use to get the camera data? Free ones? I don't really want to spend a grand on a new program.

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 18, 2010

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Hinchu posted:

Hey I had a quick question. A client is interested in me doing some 3d motion tracking for a project but I've not really done any. I'm using Lightwave. Are there any really good programs out there that I can use to get the camera data? Free ones? I don't really want to spend a grand on a new program.

Syntheyes is relatively cheap, and very good.

http://www.ssontech.com/

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Thanks! I'll give the demo a whirl. I haven't done 3d stuff for awhile, I was talking over the phone and was having trouble remembering all of the terminology! Hopefully I'll even post some stuff to the thread again :)

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Just noticed this on the realflow website http://realflow.com/

"RealFlow remains the definitive tool for the creation of flawlessly realistic simulations, and has been used to produce some of the most ground-breaking visual effects ever seen, in movies like “Avatar”, “District 9”, “2012”, “GI Joe”, and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”, as well as commercials, TV programs, and game cinematics".

I'm not sure if next limit is aware of it or not but the only realflow used on District 9 to my knowledge was a simulation I did of an alien pissing on a fence. Glad to see they recognize the most high brow and innovative uses of their products ;)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

"RealFlow remains the definitive tool for the creation of flawlessly realistic simulations, and has been used to produce some of the most ground-breaking visual effects ever seen, in movies like “Avatar”, “District 9”, “2012”, “GI Joe”, and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”, as well as commercials, TV programs, and game cinematics".

I'm not sure if next limit is aware of it or not but the only realflow used on District 9 to my knowledge was a simulation I did of an alien pissing on a fence. Glad to see they recognize the most high brow and innovative uses of their products ;)

Wow you do the 3D on big budget movies? That's awesome.
Do you have any of your work anywhere I could look at?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

mashed_penguin posted:

That was a groundbreaking pissing shot. Is there a similar one in "the thing"? :v:

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
Haha, now I want to see a chronological breakdown of pissing shots in film, then and now.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Norton antivirus flagged and deleted the Octane demo as a threat. Am I right in assuming Norton is getting a bit trigger happy?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

mashed_penguin posted:

That's nothing new, if it's even remotely used, a software company will jump in and claim it was used for something.

I saw a few shots of mine used on the maya site a few years ago, Maya was used for previs, which wasn't even done at work, we used mostly houdini to do the shot :v:

Newtek and Lightwave were notoriously bad for this in the past.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

Norton antivirus flagged and deleted the Octane demo as a threat. Am I right in assuming Norton is getting a bit trigger happy?

My AV did similar

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

Norton is being retarded. ESET Nod is much better btw. You almost never get false positives with it and it is extremely light on the system.

But yes the octane demo is definitely not a virus.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
After using it for a while this afternoon, Octane deserves a spot on your computer far more than Norton.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd love to use it, but I've got an ATI. And a notebook. :smith:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

DefMech posted:

After using it for a while this afternoon, Octane deserves a spot on your computer far more than Norton.

yeah well it's all I'm willing to pay for (i.e. nothing since it's free with comcast). I'll just download it again and tell norton to shut the gently caress up and ignore it. Plus, I really need to get a better graphics card. It'll certainly make my life a whole lot easier. As awesome as octane seems to be, i'm still holding out for gpu accelerated v ray.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

keyframe posted:

That was a groundbreaking pissing shot. Is there a similar one in "the thing"? :v:

Thankyou, I'm glad to have performed a service to CG toilet humor :)

I'm not at Image Engine any more though so I'm afraid I don't have an inside line on any Thing related piss shots. I'm guessing there will be lots of slime given the subject matter.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

yeah well it's all I'm willing to pay for (i.e. nothing since it's free with comcast). I'll just download it again and tell norton to shut the gently caress up and ignore it. Plus, I really need to get a better graphics card. It'll certainly make my life a whole lot easier. As awesome as octane seems to be, i'm still holding out for gpu accelerated v ray.

Octane is awesome, but it's got a lot of features missing(proxies, displacement, etc) before it'll compete with more established renderers. I've used Vray a ton and I'd love to play with the RT tool. I'm blown away by how fast this thing is, though, especially considering my experience with Maxwell. I'm really anxious to see how VRay RT stacks up.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

DefMech posted:

Octane is awesome, but it's got a lot of features missing(proxies, displacement, etc) before it'll compete with more established renderers.

Yeah I'm excited & interested in Octane, but can't really use it right now because of what it's missing.

Therefore I live my rendering fantasies vicariously via people like Keyframe.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
This guy's work is loving amazing holy poo poo:
http://www.game-artist.net/forums/work-progress/13593-anthro-character-project-wip.html

Ever since cgtalk bought out game-artist.net game-artist.net has been going to poo poo. Like half of the contributing good artists there were mods and they all got replaced by cgtalk mods and 90% of the work is loving terrible.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Make some poo poo > export it to ZBrush > blob on some poo poo and stamp on some alphas > Artistic masterpiece

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Sigma-X posted:

This guy's work is loving amazing holy poo poo:
http://www.game-artist.net/forums/work-progress/13593-anthro-character-project-wip.html

Ever since cgtalk bought out game-artist.net game-artist.net has been going to poo poo. Like half of the contributing good artists there were mods and they all got replaced by cgtalk mods and 90% of the work is loving terrible.

They did not get replaced they left. Without much of a warning too.

It is not like it was some hostile takeover of some publicly traded company. They asked and agreed to be bought afaik. Also urgaffel tries his goddamn best to run that place.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

They did not get replaced they left. Without much of a warning too.

It is not like it was some hostile takeover of some publicly traded company. They asked and agreed to be bought afaik. Also urgaffel tries his goddamn best to run that place.

I'm pretty sure you're right, but in any event the forum has gone downhill. I get that they're trying but the forum seems a lot less interesting than it used to be.

On the other hand I felt the same way about cgtalk itself, I pretty much spend my time on polycount now.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Anyone know good replacement forums then? I'm kind of looking for websites that give good lowdowns on next-gen scenes and props for games as I don't really care for character modeling.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Game Artisans is pretty good.

Dramatic Cop
Jan 2, 2010
As is Polycount, whether it's props or characters.

Game-artists was always pretty lovely, even in the old days, the whole culture of it was just too polite and too "collegiate" for any honest negative criticism to get thrown around. That and the staff was a bunch of fresh uni grads who had rather a high opinion of themselves.

Dramatic Cop fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Game Artisans is pretty inactive other than it's competitions and a few good artists here and there. Polycount is where it's at if you're looking for an active forum with a good collections of good 3D game artists. Although these days most of them just post in the "What are you working on" threads so I usually check those out every day.