Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Pocket DeSade posted:

Do they really have positions in Japan? They're like more developed than we are :(

They don't, a quick trip to the website could have told that guy this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm pretty sure he's talking about trying to apply to Peace Corps from Japan. As in, he's living in Japan right now.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I haven't posted in this thread yet but I just got job assigned to Mali/Environmental Agriculture this morning. I'm shipping out July 1st. :)

I went from passing medical to job assigned and leaving in six weeks in 6 hours! Medical pass went through at 2:30 this morning and they called me at 8.

So uh...anyone know anything about Mali?

T-Rex Money
Dec 10, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

I haven't posted in this thread yet but I just got job assigned to Mali/Environmental Agriculture this morning. I'm shipping out July 1st. :)

I went from passing medical to job assigned and leaving in six weeks in 6 hours! Medical pass went through at 2:30 this morning and they called me at 8.

Congrats on the invitation! I found the best way to learn about the country is by checking up on blogs of other volunteers... even emailing them to learn more about that country. http://peacecorpsjournals.com/

I found out today that I am officially being medically separated. I will be eligible for re-enrollment in three months though. Supposedly I won't have to start my service over from the beginning, but we'll see. On the plus side, I might be able to request a specific country. Is anyone serving in an awesome country that I should come to?

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Come to Jamaica! Land of medical rejects! Also, we were just on lockdown over potential riots from the government extraditing a mob boss!

However we probably have the same fire ants that got you. I was standing in some bush two weeks ago and all of a sudden my foot was swarming with them and was in extreme pain (I guess the toxin waits a bit so by the time you realize you're covered in bites). My foot was swollen for days, and I still have bite marks.

Sorry to hear about the med sep.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

I know two transfers who did the same program in Mali. They both enjoyed their time, although they had a hard time the first year getting anything done. Best advice would probably be to just work hard on language and integrating the first year until you get a feel on what is really feasible in your site, which differs a lot even within the same country.

Also hope you like heat and bugs!!!!

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.

Fart Car '97 posted:

If I had the choice to do Peace Corps in any country, it would be Mali. Music is awesome, government is stable and functions rather well, people (I hear) are really nice.

Check out Amadou and Mariam, Habib Koite, Toumani Diabaté, Ali Farka Touré, Vieux Farka Touré, Oumou Sangare, Rokia Traoré, Tinariwen... So much good music.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
Lol, Peace Corps in Japan...Naw. I live here, and am applying for the PC now.

But yeah, anyone know the turnaround between the interview and when you get the med packet?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Iwate posted:

Lol, Peace Corps in Japan...Naw. I live here, and am applying for the PC now.

But yeah, anyone know the turnaround between the interview and when you get the med packet?

Once you get nominated it's sent to you right away.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Lisle of Beringia posted:

OP, another PCV signing on here.

Environment Sector, Morocco 08-10. I'd be happy to answer any questions from people interested in serving in the region.

Lot's of tea drinking (with sugar) involved.

Saalam Allakum!

I've been considering applying for awhile and Morocco is one of my areas of interest! I doubt Lisle will ever post but I thought I'd chime in - unfortunately no contact info or PMs available for Lisle :(

I'm 27, a journalist and thinking about a career change. I'd really like to go to grad school for international development/politics/business but I'm going to apply to both school and the Peace Corps as plan B (and also to beef up my application to school if I don't make it the first time).

My biggest concern would be medical - I have sleep apnea and need a Cpap machine to sleep. Also I've been treated for anxiety but that's mostly work related!

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Well I've finished my application except for the essays. I also need to finalize my three references. I really hope this pans out.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Miss Fats posted:

Well I've finished my application except for the essays. I also need to finalize my three references. I really hope this pans out.

Good luck!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Fart Car '97 posted:

My girlfriend got assigned to Mali yesterday and is currently freaking the gently caress out. She'll be doing Health Education. She's lived abroad in Rabat, Morocco, for five months and adapted reasonably well to that. However, she still had electricity and running water and showers and a real toilet. The idea of living somewhere with none of those things terrifies her, and she's really questioning her ability to deal with that. I'm not sure what to tell her :smith:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Aggro posted:

My girlfriend got assigned to Mali yesterday and is currently freaking the gently caress out. She'll be doing Health Education. She's lived abroad in Rabat, Morocco, for five months and adapted reasonably well to that. However, she still had electricity and running water and showers and a real toilet. The idea of living somewhere with none of those things terrifies her, and she's really questioning her ability to deal with that. I'm not sure what to tell her :smith:

Well, not to be a jerk to someone I don't know, but what exactly was she expecting when she joined the Peace Corps?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

It's like camping, but you get to help people!

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Moon Slayer posted:

Well, not to be a jerk to someone I don't know, but what exactly was she expecting when she joined the Peace Corps?

I don't think you're out of line, this is the exact thought I had. They're pretty upfront with conditions in the field, get over it or don't expect it to be a full service, not many other options.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Aggro posted:

If she can't handle lack of western amenities for two years maybe she should do Americorps or something instead.

Really though, after a few months in-country no showers and squat toilets don't even phase most volunteers. Most of the world lives like this, after all.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Sucks, like a Baltic squid.

Rush Limbaugh #1! posted:

If she can't handle lack of western amenities for two years maybe she should do Americorps or something instead.

Really though, after a few months in-country no showers and squat toilets don't even phase most volunteers. Most of the world lives like this, after all.

It shouldn't really be THAT much of an issue, since, you know, girls don't poop.

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.
Adjusting to those conditions takes like 10 days. Once you learn how to take a shower from a bucket, etc. it's all good. And you don't really miss electricity too much.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Evil Adam posted:

Adjusting to those conditions takes like 10 days. Once you learn how to take a shower from a bucket, etc. it's all good. And you don't really miss electricity too much.

I don't think this has been covered in this thread, but what IS it like to take a shower from a bucket regularly, or use the toilet without running water? (not LITERALLY what is it like, but please share your experienced, and how that works in the long-run)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pocket DeSade posted:

I don't think this has been covered in this thread, but what IS it like to take a shower from a bucket regularly, or use the toilet without running water? (not LITERALLY what is it like, but please share your experienced, and how that works in the long-run)

It sucks a lot at first and continues to suck a little but god drat do you appreciate running water when you get it again.

Also gently caress toilet paper. Using it again was like the single biggest readjustment issue I had. Sprayers are where it's at.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

It sucks a lot at first and continues to suck a little but god drat do you appreciate running water when you get it again.

Also gently caress toilet paper. Using it again was like the single biggest readjustment issue I had. Sprayers are where it's at.
But what are the inherent weaknesses of bucket-bathing? This is one thing I'm sort of interested in, because I get rather greasy looking if I even go a day without showering.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Sprayers are nice, although not everyone gets a sprayer and has to make do with washing using a scooper and water. Sometimes you prefer TP, sometimes not, but you get used to it.

Bucket showers can be FANTASTIC. When it's hot season and you get off of 4 hours teaching in the middle of the blistering heat and you go back and just dump a bucket of cold water over your head and down your back it's glorious. Waking up in the morning and showering with frigid buckets of water can be pretty miserable, though, and the contortions you've got to go through to properly wash hard-to-reach spots while still pouring the water evenly are just ridiculous.

Overall they're annoying but you grow accustomed to them and sometimes will even miss them when you get back to your convenience and luxury back in the states. Kinda like a lot of things in your host country, haha.

Didn't see your second post before submitting-

Pocket DeSade posted:

But what are the inherent weaknesses of bucket-bathing? This is one thing I'm sort of interested in, because I get rather greasy looking if I even go a day without showering.

You can't do your lathering under the stream of water like you would in the shower- you've got to get wet, then pick up the shampoo, lather up, rinse off (and repeat if desired), then pick up the soap, lather up, and rinse off. Sometimes easier to do it limb-by-limb, I guess, but you'll figure out your own style.

Basically the only weaknesses I can think of are only being able to use one hand to rinse off, and just how COLD it is when the water hits the spot between your shoulderblades.

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 22, 2010

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

CronoGamer posted:

Sprayers are nice, although not everyone gets a sprayer and has to make do with washing using a scooper and water. Sometimes you prefer TP, sometimes not, but you get used to it.

Bucket showers can be FANTASTIC. When it's hot season and you get off of 4 hours teaching in the middle of the blistering heat and you go back and just dump a bucket of cold water over your head and down your back it's glorious. Waking up in the morning and showering with frigid buckets of water can be pretty miserable, though, and the contortions you've got to go through to properly wash hard-to-reach spots while still pouring the water evenly are just ridiculous.

Overall they're annoying but you grow accustomed to them and sometimes will even miss them when you get back to your convenience and luxury back in the states. Kinda like a lot of things in your host country, haha.

Didn't see your second post before submitting-

You can't do your lathering under the stream of water like you would in the shower- you've got to get wet, then pick up the shampoo, lather up, rinse off (and repeat if desired), then pick up the soap, lather up, and rinse off. Sometimes easier to do it limb-by-limb, I guess, but you'll figure out your own style.

Basically the only weaknesses I can think of are only being able to use one hand to rinse off, and just how COLD it is when the water hits the spot between your shoulderblades.

lol this is gonna rule

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Got nominated, Teach English in Europe in March. Really excited now, I got turned down before but things are really going my way now.

T-Rex Money
Dec 10, 2009
Has anyone else dealt with being medically separated? After being officially separated on Friday, I just returned home a few hours ago. I'm dealing with a lot of stress from medsep alone.

To make things worse, I just found out that peace corps only pays to ship ONE box of my belongings back, weighing less than 100 pounds. What is going to happen to the rest of my stuff? I don't know. I have a guitar and camera equipment just sitting down in the office, along with clothing and a few other personal belongings.

When I left for my host country, we were allowed to bring 130 pounds worth of baggage. When I was medically evacuated, I only brought enough clothes to last a week... had I known I would not be returning I would have brought more things with me. I am afraid they're going to ship everything back to me and then take the fee out of my re-adjustment allowance (of which they are already taking $400 USD for a table that broke from regular use in my apartment).

What the hell do I do?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Everything I've heard indicates that med sep is a really tough loving process. Sorry to hear it man.

Depending on how remote your site was, maybe you could ask another PCV you're friends with to go through your poo poo and separate the things you do/don't want shipped home? PC will probably just crate up everything and send it back regardless of whether you want it so maybe to save on excess poo poo you could have a friend throw out the crap you can leave behind.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Just got my invite packet in the mail. Holy moly this is a lot of paperwork and reading! But it says I get assigned a mountain bicycle :hellyeah:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Just got my invite packet in the mail. Holy moly this is a lot of paperwork and reading! But it says I get assigned a mountain bicycle :hellyeah:

And you will spend so much time on that bike...

People here in the US get this weird look on their face when I tell them I would bike for 45 minutes to town because I was bored and wanted to check my e-mail, like it's a long time to bike or something.

lucky garnett
Oct 14, 2003

Swing Time

T-Rex Money posted:

Has anyone else dealt with being medically separated? After being officially separated on Friday, I just returned home a few hours ago. I'm dealing with a lot of stress from medsep alone.

To make things worse, I just found out that peace corps only pays to ship ONE box of my belongings back, weighing less than 100 pounds. What is going to happen to the rest of my stuff? I don't know. I have a guitar and camera equipment just sitting down in the office, along with clothing and a few other personal belongings.

When I left for my host country, we were allowed to bring 130 pounds worth of baggage. When I was medically evacuated, I only brought enough clothes to last a week... had I known I would not be returning I would have brought more things with me. I am afraid they're going to ship everything back to me and then take the fee out of my re-adjustment allowance (of which they are already taking $400 USD for a table that broke from regular use in my apartment).

What the hell do I do?

My region got evacuated. They had me make a list of things I wanted shipped. My stuff is at PC office now and apparently giving everything away that I asked to be shipped to me. I guess there's no policy for shipping things to "interrupted service."

edit: My region was closed so I'm IS. Other regions are still open. The whole country wasn't evacuated so I guess the evac shipping policy doesn't apply.

lucky garnett fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 25, 2010

Winna
Oct 10, 2004
_)_)====|D ~o ~o ~o
I was nominated for the pac islands back in august and invites are supposedly coming in this month or next. What do you think the chances of getting passed over are? Ive been waiting so long i'd be devastated if I didn't get an invite for sept. Just waiting for that blue folder... hopefully i'll get seniority or something for waiting so long

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

space pope posted:

My biggest concern would be medical - I have sleep apnea and need a Cpap machine to sleep. Also I've been treated for anxiety but that's mostly work related!

Judging only from this sheet they gave me, "Obstructive Sleep Apnea with or without C-PAP machine" is on the list of things the peace corps are "typically unable to reasonably accomodate"

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

[quote] I have a degree in Political Science. No other English teaching skills. Before they let me join, though, I had to do 30 hours of volunteer English tutoring or teaching.

So did they say "OK, get 30 hours, and then reapply" or was it like "OK, you're in! just get 30 hours before we send you!"?

I'm in the same boat (no applicable major, and no English teaching experience) and not sure what to expect.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pocket DeSade posted:

So did they say "OK, get 30 hours, and then reapply" or was it like "OK, you're in! just get 30 hours before we send you!"?

I'm in the same boat (no applicable major, and no English teaching experience) and not sure what to expect.

Neither. Your 30 hours is kind of like your medical paperwork. If you don't have it already you need to "submit" it (have the person you worked or volunteered for fill out a form) before you can receive your invitation.

Honestly it's not that hard to find something to do. If you live in or near a city call the local schools and see if any of them have an accelerated English program for kids of recent immigrants, and then talk to whoever is in charge of it and explain your situation to them. That's what I did. I got my 30 hours in the first week and stuck around for another month on my own.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Honestly it's not that hard to find something to do. If you live in or near a city call the local schools and see if any of them have an accelerated English program for kids of recent immigrants, and then talk to whoever is in charge of it and explain your situation to them. That's what I did. I got my 30 hours in the first week and stuck around for another month on my own.

Seconding this. Frankly, I just cold-called all the nonprofits in the area that do literacy saying "Hey, I need 30 hours for the Peace Corps, I will work for free at any hours you can give me" and they jumped at it. Nonprofits love free work.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

internetstuff posted:

Seconding this. Frankly, I just cold-called all the nonprofits in the area that do literacy saying "Hey, I need 30 hours for the Peace Corps, I will work for free at any hours you can give me" and they jumped at it. Nonprofits love free work.

Hm, but should I have done all that BEFORE my phone interview?

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
I think you'll be okay. I did it before my interview, but I have a friend who went through his interview and was told to do X, Y, and Z over the summer. He did so, and got his invitation a month or so ago..

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pocket DeSade posted:

Hm, but should I have done all that BEFORE my phone interview?

Yes, you can do it after the interview. That's what I did.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah same boat here. Going to start tutoring in July and I already got nominated so do the interview first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
Got an interview on Monday the 14th, webcam style.
Any advice?

• Locked thread