Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
So they cancel your insurance for rising in some of the safest most controlled conditions situations you can ride in.

Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
USAA can do whatever they want as long as they keep being loving awesome.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

redscare posted:

I've heard of companies cancelling warranties over track time, but not insurance companies canceling policies except in cases where it was fraud (e.g. guy wrecks on track, makes it look like he wrecked on a street to file a claim since insurance doesn't cover track time)
Back in 2008, an Autocrosser in Pennsylvania had his GEICO auto policy cancelled on his daily driver - because they found evidence on the internet that he had autocrossed a car that he owned, but wasn't listed on his policy.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Trackday thread cross-post: bonus picture content

Zool posted:

I had a sm race today that ended early with a pretty rough off. Half way through the first practice lap another rider lowsided as I was passing him on the outside.

I got on the front brake as he and his bike slid in front of me, his head had to have been less than a foot in front of my front tire as my rear tire came off the ground. With my options at endo, or run over a 12 year old boy I kept on the brake, launching myself over the bars. I flew through the air and executed a flawless jujitsu roll upon landing. Deftly breaking my left clavicle, and trapping myself beneath my motorcycle.

One way to look at it, is that I average 2 crashes per lap.
Since I won't be riding for a while I'll move over to TCC to post about my new prescription drug habit.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Jabs posted:

Back in 2008, an Autocrosser in Pennsylvania had his GEICO auto policy cancelled on his daily driver - because they found evidence on the internet that he had autocrossed a car that he owned, but wasn't listed on his policy.

This is beyond messed up. Canceling a policy on a autocrossing/daily driver seems stupid to me, but THIS?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Zool posted:

:gonk: gently caress that looks painful

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
It's not too fun. :(

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Zool posted:

I literally just did this exact injury except on my right side in march. I had a family with stroller and children step out in front of me when I was doing about 60 on a friend's bike.

Get the surgery if they offer, it's worth it. I had my surgery on April 5th, and was riding by the end of April; Recovery time seems much lesser when they do surgery.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I don't understand why people would be so against full gear, I mean by not wearing gear you're essentially TRUSTING other people in their cages not to be total retards and smashing into you from the front/side/rear. I mean i'm a fairly conservative rider and i've seen enough idiots out here that just reinforces my gear all the time mentality. Also why wouldn't someone wear a seatbelt in their car? It's hard to take turns fast in a miata if you're sliding around on the seat without a seatbelt on :(

I've also worn my perforated leathers in cold and warm weather, it's always really comfortable so I don't see what the deal is. I've tried to jean thing for short trips but it gets drat cold.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

infraboy posted:

I don't understand why people would be so against full gear, I mean by not wearing gear you're essentially TRUSTING other people in their cages not to be total retards and smashing into you from the front/side/rear. I mean i'm a fairly conservative rider and i've seen enough idiots out here that just reinforces my gear all the time mentality. Also why wouldn't someone wear a seatbelt in their car? It's hard to take turns fast in a miata if you're sliding around on the seat without a seatbelt on :(

I've also worn my perforated leathers in cold and warm weather, it's always really comfortable so I don't see what the deal is. I've tried to jean thing for short trips but it gets drat cold.

I think people feel like it's restricting, uncool, and hot (at least in the summer). Personally, I agree with you. I was raised wearing my seatbelt, and I feel terribly unprotected when I don't. Similarly with gear. It was stupid hot one day and so I figured it was worth the risk to take my jacket off for a while. After about a mile I was so completely distracted by feeling like I was exposed that I had to pull over and put it back on again.

For me, even before I learned to ride I always wore leather jackets all year anyway, so I actually prefer wearing gear. :c00l:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Saw a guy on a scooter get pushed into an intersection today.

He was sitting at the front of the line waiting for the light to turn, and some cuntbitch in an SUV was stopped behind him. The cross-traffic light turned yellow, and the oval office-bitch, probably anticipating the green, just drove right into the guy.

Seriously, just what the gently caress is wrong with these people? SHE WAS ALREADY STOPPED BEHIND HIM. She MUST have seen him when she came to a stop, otherwise she would have run over him then.

Anyway, the guy got flung backwards (or more the scooter was pushed out from under him) in a perfect simulation of ragdoll physics from any video game, but his Givi top box stopped him from going up onto the SUV's hood. He and the scooter then fell/slid off to the left and they both slid about ten feet into the intersection.

I was at the front of the line on the opposite side of the intersection on my V-Strom, and as soon as I saw it happen I immediately gunned it over to him, jumped off my bike, hit the kill switch on his scooter and made sure he was okay. He got up quickly and was PISSED AS gently caress, started cursing out the cuntbitch in the SUV, and I thought I and another bystander might have to hold him back from going after the dumb twat. He was mostly okay, though. Limping a little from where the scooter ended up on his left leg. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet, non-armored leather jacket, slacks and loafers.

I picked up his scooter and got it off the road, His Givi top case, and the tail lights on his scooter were all busted, not really a scratch on the lady's SUV.

The cops arrived ridiculously quickly, and I hung out with him for a few minutes while he calmed down and the cops took down all of our info. I shook his hand, he thanked me profusely for being there, and we exchanged many words and complaints about how we're invisible. He even told me he'd been admiring my bike at the moment that she hit him.

Snapped this as I was leaving. That's the driver of the SUV in purple sweater, talking to what may have been her passenger in the SUV. The scooter rider is the grey-haired fellow behind the SUV talking to the cop.

In summery: It's not "Just a scooter". And all the experience and defensive riding/training in the world can't save you from dumbshits. Wear your gear, kids, every time, no matter what you're on.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Tsaven Nava posted:

In summery: It's not "Just a scooter". And all the experience and defensive riding/training in the world can't save you from dumbshits. Wear your gear, kids, every time, no matter what you're on.

After a couple thousand miles as a pedal road biker, one season of motorcycle riding with armored clothing and full face helmet has made me feel 100% unsafe on my pedal bike. Seriously, spandex and 'skid lid'? I pretty much ride the same roads with both bikes, but I feel completely naked on the pedal bike now thinking about poo poo like what you saw.

(lol, excuse to be lazy goon?)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

After a couple thousand miles as a pedal road biker, one season of motorcycle riding with armored clothing and full face helmet has made me feel 100% unsafe on my pedal bike. Seriously, spandex and 'skid lid'? I pretty much ride the same roads with both bikes, but I feel completely naked on the pedal bike now thinking about poo poo like what you saw.

Anyone that pedal-bikes any road that's liable to be filled with squids, ricers, et al is probably lacking a bit in the self-preservation department to begin with.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

redscare posted:

Anyone that pedal-bikes any road that's liable to be filled with squids, ricers, et al is probably lacking a bit in the self-preservation department to begin with.

But the public opinion of pedal bikers is so much higher :iiam:
I feel much safer as a motorcyclist!!!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Tsaven Nava posted:

Saw a guy on a scooter get pushed into an intersection today.

Hmm something sort of similar happened to me today, it wasn't really all the intense but it was a seriously WTF moment.

I was going down Lombard Street here in San Francisco, which is a major street that leads to downtown. I'm in the left most lane, traffic is fairly dense because it's commute time, theres a mid 90's green Camry right next to me. So as i'm going along this Camry SIGNALS and then proceeds to change lanes literally right into me, I was basically right next to the drivers door and was hitting my horn profusely but the guy just seemed completely oblivious. That said I had to bit of braking and ended up behind him. I was just completely baffled that he didn't notice a bright blue Suzuki with a stupidly loud exhaust or he just didn't give a gently caress, what a jerk :(

Yeah guys, ride defensively, wear all your gear, an accident may not be your fault but it would suck if it does happen.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Seriously, just what the gently caress is wrong with these people? SHE WAS ALREADY STOPPED BEHIND HIM. She MUST have seen him when she came to a stop, otherwise she would have run over him then.

Did she offer any kind of reasonable explanation or was she just an idiot?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

infraboy posted:

Hmm something sort of similar happened to me today, it wasn't really all the intense but it was a seriously WTF moment.

I was going down Lombard Street here in San Francisco, which is a major street that leads to downtown. I'm in the left most lane, traffic is fairly dense because it's commute time, theres a mid 90's green Camry right next to me. So as i'm going along this Camry SIGNALS and then proceeds to change lanes literally right into me, I was basically right next to the drivers door and was hitting my horn profusely but the guy just seemed completely oblivious. That said I had to bit of braking and ended up behind him. I was just completely baffled that he didn't notice a bright blue Suzuki with a stupidly loud exhaust or he just didn't give a gently caress, what a jerk :(

Yeah guys, ride defensively, wear all your gear, an accident may not be your fault but it would suck if it does happen.
This is why you wear armored gloves.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Doctor Zero posted:

Did she offer any kind of reasonable explanation or was she just an idiot?

Nope. Honestly I gave her a little bit of an earful too, but nothing I said could have matched the volume coming out of the guy that got hit. He was PISSED.

She was just standing there meekly going like "I'm sorry, I didn't see him . . .". HE WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Tsaven Nava posted:

I've had this same thing happen in Ford Tempo and Jeep Liberty. The people behind me at a light saw movement and then just assumed they could move forward... RIGHT THROUGH MY CAR.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

This is why you wear armored gloves.

People may look at me like I'm some sort of freak, but I refuse to ride my bicycle without my helmet and gloves. I've hit the ground and torn up leather gloves before, I'd hate to have my hands endure that sort of treatment.

People staring at me, do you have any idea how long my hands hurt the last time I had a tumble?

Precisely 1 minute, because I was wearing my goddamn gloves.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 20, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Crayvex posted:

I've had this same thing happen in Ford Tempo and Jeep Liberty. The people behind me at a light saw movement and then just assumed they could move forward... RIGHT THROUGH MY CAR.

I really want to know what is going through the minds of these people. How can you possibly be that zoned out while driving, unless you're under the influence of something? I mean, do these people just go through their whole life in a daze?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^^ Driving's not something important...it's like making GBS threads. Do you take perfect care every time you poo poo? Nah, you just get your poo poo done and move on with your life. That's how they approach it.

UserNotFound posted:

I'm the same way. Although I'm a bit of a speed demon on the bicycle too, and as I'm frantically trying to push past 45mph, some part of my brain is going "You dumbass motherfucker, your tires are like a quarter inch wide and you're wearing nothing but a helmet and some clothes that are gonna shred on impact with the ground". Hell, I have more scars from bicycles than I do from motorcycles...

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Do you take perfect care every time you poo poo? Nah, you just get your poo poo done and move on with your life.

Now I don't know about you, but i take taking a poo poo VERY seriously :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Now I don't know about you, but i take taking a poo poo VERY seriously :colbert:

You'd have to, with your boyfriend and all.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

redscare posted:

You shouldn't take your posting that serious, we're all having a good time here.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
My theory is that the dumb oval office subconsciously knew she was an awful, stupid driver/person, and that's why she was in a big vehicle to begin with- to protect herself, because she's stupid, awful, and self-absorbed, and wanted to protect herself and any potential offspring from the BIG SCARY CARS.

I don't know. I zone out a lot. Usually at work. I have zoned out so bad I have not heard people yelling at me and slipped and fell in cooking oil in what I am sure was a graceful and sexy manner (picture someone slipping on a banana peel in a cartoon). But I do not do that poo poo while driving. Because I'm not retarded.

Ugh. Bad women drivers. Eat a cock and quit making the rest of us look bad.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Crayvex posted:

That's happened twice with me. Uninsured SOB, and once was the body shop manager of a local dealership, in a new dealer car, with the dealerships insurance agent in the passengers seat. True Story.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Tsaven Nava posted:

Nope. Honestly I gave her a little bit of an earful too, but nothing I said could have matched the volume coming out of the guy that got hit. He was PISSED.

She was just standing there meekly going like "I'm sorry, I didn't see him . . .". HE WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

Please tell me charges were laid. He can sue her right? Right?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Bicycles seem to be a bit under-represented here.

I've only come off twice, and both have been solo endeavors.

I'd gone down to the local servo to get a slushy, and was riding back along the path I normally take to uni (which is a pretty rough dirt road on a 5% incline). Going downhill, riding one handed, I only have the front brakes available. I end up grabbing the brakes a bit too hard, lock the front wheel, and the bike goes under me. I managed to sand off the skin covering both knees, and most of the skin on my right forearm. Had to ride home them down the road to a mates house since I didn't even have a first aid kit.

Second time I was riding home from uni. It was raining, and in the middle of winter (which around here means -5C and ice). I cut the third last corner from home, a tight right hander with a decent camber, but I missed the apex and put the bike down too far so I ended up lowsiding. Stupidly, I decided that the laptop in my backpack was more valuable than myself, and I rolled onto my stomach as I slid. Minor damage from here, just a lot of dirt and a hosed pair of jeans. Part of the problem was the fact that I ride a mountain bike with wide knobbies, they don't grip well on road and completely give up the ghost when it's even slightly wet.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Crashing your own bike is one thing. Crashing the girlfriend's bike? Now that's pretty stupid.

Even though I've got my '04 DL650 sitting right next to it in the driveway, I still gravitate to Modify_Evolution's streetfightered '05 Ninja 250 if I'm going out around town. Why? gently caress if I know.

Anyway, it wasn't anything serious. I was making a left turn on a green left turn arrow (actually making a u-turn) when I managed to lowside it. I've got no earthly idea how. I wasn't really leaned over, it was at perhaps 4mph, and I don't think an ex250 really has the power to spin out the rear tire on good pavement if I had done something dumb with the clutch. My best guess is that I hit a patch of gravel, or a tar strip, or something like that. The cheap, lovely, hard tires on the bike may have played a large factor as well.

Anyway, the rear of the bike slid out, I went down, and it I watch the bike pirouette away from me, sparks coming off the kickstand or centerstand.

Went over, picked it up, gave it a minute to let the gas drain back down into the carbs, started it and rode away in a cloud of shame. No real damage to the bike, but I did manage to rip up the brand-new Nelson Rigg saddlebags that she'd just put on the bike two days ago.

Little bit of rashing to the elbow on my jacket and on the ankle of my boots, other then that no discernible damage to me.

So, yeah. Hope I still get some nookie this week.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

Tsaven Nava posted:

:words:

What was that I said when you burnt out my neutral indicator? Oh yeah. Stop breaking my poo poo.
Also, I don't know why you're trying to pass off the tires + lovely road as the reason you lowsided, seeing as I pulled off a tight curve with a tar strip at over double the suggested speed and was fine.

Ps. We're going to start a list of things you're not allowed to refer to sex as. Along with "Sex you up" because it reminds me of that awful song, feel free to add "nookie." That's what my pacifier was called when I was a kid, and that's gross, you pedophile.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

:drat:

1. Glad you're alright Tsaven
2. You have an awesome girlfriend. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

The cheap, lovely, hard tires on the bike may have played a large factor as well.

Replace these immediately. Unless you like visiting your g/f in the hospital. How old are the tires?

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

Z3n posted:

Replace these immediately. Unless you like visiting your g/f in the hospital. How old are the tires?

He's exaggerating for the sake of his manliness. They're not the best tires ever, but they're not death traps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What tires and how old are they? Everything thinks that their tires are totally fine when they start riding because they just don't know any better. I've had people insist that their dry rotted/craptastic tires "felt totally fine"...yeah, you've got no basis of comparison, of course they feel great. Of course, after getting their tires replaced they have that lightbulb moment.

Regardless of what you do on a 250, it should be physically impossible to lowside it at 4mph unless there was either an oil slick or there's something wrong with the tires. Tar snakes won't cause a bike to crash at low speed like that, even if you're gassing the gently caress out of it. Something else was either in the road (usually pretty obvious if it was big enough to cause you to crash) or there's something wrong with the tires. They could have also gotten soaked in some sort of solvent or something while getting shipped.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 21, 2010

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

Z3n posted:

What tires and how old are they?

I didn't actually know, because they came with the bike and I (inccorectly) assumed Tsaven knew what he was talking about when he told me they were fine for awhile. So while I don't know what type they are, because I didn't feel like rolling my bike around, I now know they are 5 years old.

You win this round, random person from the internet. *slinks over to the tire thread for more information*

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My Ninja 650 came with Bridgestone Battlax, I'm pretty sure the 250 also does. I've been riding on my originals for 3 years and they need replacing, yours must be almost bare.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

modify_evolution posted:

I didn't actually know, because they came with the bike and I (inccorectly) assumed Tsaven knew what he was talking about when he told me they were fine for awhile. So while I don't know what type they are, because I didn't feel like rolling my bike around, I now know they are 5 years old.

You win this round, random person from the internet. *slinks over to the tire thread for more information*

There should be a 4 digit date code on the tire somewhere designating the week and year of its manufacture. The first two numbers are the week, last two are the year.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

modify_evolution posted:

Hey, not hatin', just trying to keep you guys safe :) Crashing is the least fun part of motorcycling. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sepist posted:

My Ninja 650 came with Bridgestone Battlax, I'm pretty sure the 250 also does. I've been riding on my originals for 3 years and they need replacing, yours must be almost bare.

Pretty sure classic 250s come with dunlop poo poo. Go buy a metzeler me880 for the rear, mine lasted 10k miles, and find something good for the front.

• Locked thread