Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Major Ryan posted:

Almost certainly Traffic Department 2192.

Haven't thought about that one in years, but your description bought it right back. Only ever played the shareware, but teenage me played it to death all the same.
Holy crap, yeah, that's it! Thanks!

Evil Badman posted:

3. World in Conflict?
I don't think so, unless the game changed a lot between the demo and the actual game (the LP of World in Conflict brought up memories of it). I remember in the game you could use field nukes and it didn't completely wipe the map/used just in cut scenes. I remember the demo using a nuke detonation to test the settings of your video card. I could be wrong and maybe there is a reason that the LP made me think of that game.
EDIT: Apparently I am an idiot and you CAN throw nukes around in multiplayer. Yep! World in Conflict.

Neo Rasa posted:

This could be either Vikings: The Strategy of Ultimate Conquest or Vikings: Fields of Conquest.
I'm leaning towards Vikings: The Strategy of Ultimate Conquest" based on the few screen shots I can find. Thanks! No clue how I missed that when searching on Moby Games

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I bought a game online from somewhere a couple years back, but I can't remember what it was called. It was set in space, I remember traveling between planets and upgrading my ship. It was a lower budget title I think, probably came out in the early 2000s.

All I can distinctly remember from it is the opening intro movie had a rockin soundtrack and it involved two space ships fighting each other. One of the aliens was named "Hidezooken" or something like that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Freeze posted:

I bought a game online from somewhere a couple years back, but I can't remember what it was called. It was set in space, I remember traveling between planets and upgrading my ship. It was a lower budget title I think, probably came out in the early 2000s.

All I can distinctly remember from it is the opening intro movie had a rockin soundtrack and it involved two space ships fighting each other. One of the aliens was named "Hidezooken" or something like that.

Space Rangers 2. Great game but I can understand from its graphics you think it's from early 2000s.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

al-azad posted:

Space Rangers 2. Great game but I can understand from its graphics you think it's from early 2000s.

Yep that's the one. I remember it was quite a bit of fun. Thanks!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Does anyone remember an old DOS children's OS-dealy that would start up with the computer? Everyone could pick a profile and a desk motif that would hold icons for their games. You simply would click a game and it would start up. Er.. actually this might have been pre-mouse. It would have been early 90s, about 92 or so.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

This game is probably over 10 years old now but it was a top down game on the PC where you controlled a single vehicle to take out the enemy base. You had a jeep, a tank, a helicopter and maybe one other I can't remember now. The only other thing I can remember was that it had 2 player splitscreen and played classical music when you selected a vehicle. Bumblebee for the jeep, Ride of the Valkyries for the helicopter and In the Hall of the Mountain King for the tank. Any ideas?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

This game is probably over 10 years old now but it was a top down game on the PC where you controlled a single vehicle to take out the enemy base. You had a jeep, a tank, a helicopter and maybe one other I can't remember now. The only other thing I can remember was that it had 2 player splitscreen and played classical music when you selected a vehicle. Bumblebee for the jeep, Ride of the Valkyries for the helicopter and In the Hall of the Mountain King for the tank. Any ideas?

Return Fire.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Saint Septimus posted:

Return Fire.

Hot drat, thanks! Apparently there was even a sequel I knew nothing about.

Buh
May 17, 2008
There's a game I can clearly picture in my head, yet can't remember anything that gives me any hope of identifying it! I played it in 1990 but it was probably old by then.

The main character was a very basic pink and blue sprite and was supposed to be an astronaut - Captain something or other. Graphics were very basic, of the era were you still picked CVA/VGA/EGA. The music was a horrible tinny version of classical music (but then so was everything back then).

The one detail I remember is it had lots of enemies that were too low to the ground, so your bullets would fly over them. You had to get a corkscrew powerup so your bullets would bounce down at hit them. It had at least one sequel. I'll be amazed if anyone gets this.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Buh posted:

There's a game I can clearly picture in my head, yet can't remember anything that gives me any hope of identifying it! I played it in 1990 but it was probably old by then.

The main character was a very basic pink and blue sprite and was supposed to be an astronaut - Captain something or other. Graphics were very basic, of the era were you still picked CVA/VGA/EGA. The music was a horrible tinny version of classical music (but then so was everything back then).

The one detail I remember is it had lots of enemies that were too low to the ground, so your bullets would fly over them. You had to get a corkscrew powerup so your bullets would bounce down at hit them. It had at least one sequel. I'll be amazed if anyone gets this.

Looks like The Adventures of Captain Comic. Didn't seem like it at first, but a walkthrough on gamefaqs says that there's a corkscrew powerup which does exactly what you described.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Right then, here's a tricky one (mainly because I remember very few details). Early 90's PC 3d space combat game, with (I think) quite a strong story line. You started off flying missions for some human organization, and gradually got promoted until you were choosing/leading missions yourself. Two main points I remember:

1) Your ship had a tractor beam, and you could capture enemy ships and fly them yourself in later missions. You always had a choice of ships depending on what you had captured or had been destroyed.

2) About halfway through you had to choose to keep flying for the humans, or rebel and start working for alien federation you had previously been fighting against. This did not dramatically change the game but I think it led to either a "bad" ending (evil humans) or a "good" ending (wise & kindly aliens).

Also, one of the alien ships looked something like this (plan view):

Oh, and I'm fairly certain it came on quite a lot of floppy disks, probably five or more. Anyone got any ideas?

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!
Had to format my PC so I need the name of a game I had bookmarked. There was a thread on here about it. It's some 2d space 4x game or something that has giant space scorpions and poo poo, name anyone? Thanks in advance.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Sanford posted:

That image just screams Kilrathi to me, is it possible you've conflated the Wing Commander games with another series somehow? If not, this sounds like it should be Wing Commander, but I don't remember you ever flying for the Kilrathi in those.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Keru posted:

That image just screams Kilrathi to me, is it possible you've conflated the Wing Commander games with another series somehow? If not, this sounds like it should be Wing Commander, but I don't remember you ever flying for the Kilrathi in those.

Looking at some shots I can see where you are coming from. I would say that the game I'm thinking of was not Wing Commander, but definitely ripped it off some. Those ships are not exact, but very similar. I'm fairly certain about the colours in my badass mspaint up there. Some extra things I remember:

- game could be played in interior or exterior view. Interior view from Wing Commander doesn't look right though.
- you could definitely, definitely choose what ship you were going to fly, including captured enemy ships
- it used the green-orange-red method to show when & where your ship was damaged, and a red targetting square (rather than shooting directly at enemies). I think these are both stolen from Wing Commander
- in between each mission you would return to base for some story, but there were no gameplay bits apart from the space combat - no running round on foot, for example

My god this is driving me insane, thanks for the help.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It's not Star Crusader by any chance? I ask because I've been looking through Mobygames and came across this image, and it reminded me of your picture: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star-crusader/screenshots/gameShotId,320931/

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Keru posted:

It's not Star Crusader by any chance? I ask because I've been looking through Mobygames and came across this image, and it reminded me of your picture: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star-crusader/screenshots/gameShotId,320931/

Hey it loving was as well, nice one. Can I fix you up with a forums upgrade as a thank you?

Rummanging
Sep 26, 2008
I'm thinking of a game that would have probably mid to late 90's. It was 2D sidescroller set literally in comic book. You played as some dude that made really over-the-top sound effects when we did kicks and punches. You could punch/kick through the barriers between each drawing in the comic strip. That's pretty much all I've got because it was one of the first game I played as a kid.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rummanging posted:

I'm thinking of a game that would have probably mid to late 90's. It was 2D sidescroller set literally in comic book. You played as some dude that made really over-the-top sound effects when we did kicks and punches. You could punch/kick through the barriers between each drawing in the comic strip. That's pretty much all I've got because it was one of the first game I played as a kid.

Comix Zone

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

HereticSenility posted:

I just remembered a 4x game I used to play when I was young. It was shareware, presumably made for Win 3.1, and very similar to Masters of Orion and Space Empires. It was fairly simplistic, with a lot of the ship graphics being blue colored blocky blobs.

If it helps, I think it was made by "MVP Games" as there was a splash screen to that effect. Or was it "MVP Software"? It was MVP something.

Still curious about this one, I haven't been able to find so much as a trace of it. I'm thinking the "MVP" thing was a red herring, that I remembered it wrong or mixed it up with a different game.

It was on one of those crappy "1,000 Games for Windows" CDs, I might look and see if I still have it.

0staf
Jun 11, 2006

FFE or die trying

HereticSenility posted:

Still curious about this one, I haven't been able to find so much as a trace of it. I'm thinking the "MVP" thing was a red herring, that I remembered it wrong or mixed it up with a different game.

It was on one of those crappy "1,000 Games for Windows" CDs, I might look and see if I still have it.

The only game I can think of is called Facing The Empire (http://www.mobygames.com/game/facing-the-empire) which was developed by MVP software, but the graphics look just text based, so more primative than you suggested:

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Hakkeshu posted:

Had to format my PC so I need the name of a game I had bookmarked. There was a thread on here about it. It's some 2d space 4x game or something that has giant space scorpions and poo poo, name anyone? Thanks in advance.

Searching google for "space game 4x scorpion" turns up Distant Worlds.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

0staf posted:

The only game I can think of is called Facing The Empire (http://www.mobygames.com/game/facing-the-empire) which was developed by MVP software, but the graphics look just text based, so more primative than you suggested:

Thanks, but its been mentioned before and that's not it :(

I found the disc it came on, but unfortunately I can't run it on my 64-bit system, as I thought. If I can find an older computer to run it on I may be able to find out what it was.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Saint Septimus posted:

Return Fire.

I swear to god this has got to be the game more people have trouble remembering than any other. This has literally been the answer dozens of times in the history of these threads.

Awesome game though. 3D0 version for life!

Karpa
Jan 2, 2009
So this was a very, very old star wars game you could play on DOS or something. The very first mission is on Tatooine for some sort of training camp in a canyon followed by some asteroid field mission I think. It's a starship game, being a pilot and owning stuff. Anybody knows?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Earthkrash posted:

So this was a very, very old star wars game you could play on DOS or something. The very first mission is on Tatooine for some sort of training camp in a canyon followed by some asteroid field mission I think. It's a starship game, being a pilot and owning stuff. Anybody knows?
Rebel Assault?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Earthkrash posted:

Star Wars: Rebel Assault?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
There's a game which I played... I THINK it was Win 3.11. Pretty sure it was.

Basically, it was a medieval/fantasy dungeon crawl. Very basic, tile based top down POV I believe, I think for the main guy all you had was a shirtless top-half. Nothing below waist. Very basic graphics/sprites. I think you started out in town with 3 buildings around you and made your way into the dungeon/castle.

Been trying to remember for ages.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

The game i'm trying to remember was for the xbox.

It was a FPS where you controlled a seemingly normal dude who wakes up on a bed. Que amnesia plot and whoa surprise the military busts in and you spend a few hours running from them. Then in an 'unexpected' twist the game swapped the bad guys from generic army people to generic zombie people who's defining feature is annoying the piss out of you by blocking all your attacks with hexagons.

Then your hand becomes a magic hexagon and you proceed to punch, kick, and shoot the poo poo out of an army of the zombies while your hexagon hand grows in power.

Eventually your hexagon hand makes you start going crazy, and the game culminates with you fighting another hexagon-handed dude in an absolutely amazing final boss fight.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

XausF1 posted:

There's a game which I played... I THINK it was Win 3.11. Pretty sure it was.

Basically, it was a medieval/fantasy dungeon crawl. Very basic, tile based top down POV I believe, I think for the main guy all you had was a shirtless top-half. Nothing below waist. Very basic graphics/sprites. I think you started out in town with 3 buildings around you and made your way into the dungeon/castle.

Been trying to remember for ages.

Castle of the Winds?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Apple2o posted:

The game i'm trying to remember was for the xbox.

It was a FPS where you controlled a seemingly normal dude who wakes up on a bed. Que amnesia plot and whoa surprise the military busts in and you spend a few hours running from them. Then in an 'unexpected' twist the game swapped the bad guys from generic army people to generic zombie people who's defining feature is annoying the piss out of you by blocking all your attacks with hexagons.

Then your hand becomes a magic hexagon and you proceed to punch, kick, and shoot the poo poo out of an army of the zombies while your hexagon hand grows in power.

Eventually your hexagon hand makes you start going crazy, and the game culminates with you fighting another hexagon-handed dude in an absolutely amazing final boss fight.

Breakdown I think.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm thinking of an old (pre-1990, probably) PC game that involved being a character that dug through levels - it was like Dig Dug in that the level was filled with earth and when you moved him to a space it removed the earth.

You had to collect diamonds on each level and there were stones that could be pushed and would fall, so you had to be careful you didn't inadvertently block off areas. If there was a stone on a bit of earth you could remove that earth and have the stone on top of you, but if a stone fell on you from 1 square above then it would kill you, so you couldn't move downwards once a stone was on top of you. On some levels there was a fungus that would keep expanding into any free space. There was an egg that, if disturbed, would release something that could come and kill you. That egg could be destroyed by pushing rocks onto it. The character looked a bit like Kirby.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Anjow posted:

I'm thinking of an old (pre-1990, probably) PC game that involved being a character that dug through levels - it was like Dig Dug in that the level was filled with earth and when you moved him to a space it removed the earth.

You had to collect diamonds on each level and there were stones that could be pushed and would fall, so you had to be careful you didn't inadvertently block off areas. If there was a stone on a bit of earth you could remove that earth and have the stone on top of you, but if a stone fell on you from 1 square above then it would kill you, so you couldn't move downwards once a stone was on top of you. On some levels there was a fungus that would keep expanding into any free space. There was an egg that, if disturbed, would release something that could come and kill you. That egg could be destroyed by pushing rocks onto it. The character looked a bit like Kirby.

Sounds like a Boulder Dash clone. One of the Repton games possibly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repton_%28video_game%29

In fact, the fungus makes it sound like Repton 3.

If not, it may be on this list: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/boulder-dash-variants/offset,0/so,1d/

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Anjow posted:

Are you sure you didn't play Emerald Mine on an old Amiga or Commodore 64? Because that game had all those things, apart from the main character looking like Kirby I guess.

Either way, thank you for reminding me of Emerald Mine, I used to play the poo poo out of that game as a kid.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ponzicar posted:

Sounds like a Boulder Dash clone. One of the Repton games possibly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repton_%28video_game%29

In fact, the fungus makes it sound like Repton 3.

If not, it may be on this list: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/boulder-dash-variants/offset,0/so,1d/

I didn't know what Boulder Dash was, but it does seem to be a clone of that. It isn't any of the Repton ones though, they seem to have a man rather than a character that looks like Kirby. As many games as are there, I don't actually see the one I'm thinking of on that list :(

Karpa
Jan 2, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

Rebel Assault?

Oh god, yes it is. I used to play on this game with a loving joystick. It was insane hard when I was a kid.

The nightmares. :ohdear:

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Anjow posted:

I didn't know what Boulder Dash was, but it does seem to be a clone of that. It isn't any of the Repton ones though, they seem to have a man rather than a character that looks like Kirby. As many games as are there, I don't actually see the one I'm thinking of on that list :(

Take a look here. There are lists of freeware and commercial Boulder Dash clones for different platforms, maybe the one you're looking for is on there.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Anjow posted:

This page has another list of similar games. One named Rock 'n' Roll on this page: http://www.bd-fans.com/CommercialWindows.html sounds like it could be it. Cavern on http://www.bd-fans.com/CommercialMSDOS.html also has fungus in it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks for the suggestions but nop luck yet. My god. So many clones, and yet after looking at the pictures, none of them seem to be the thing I'm thinking of.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Are you sure it isn't "Rockford"? The main dude is a man, but actually does sort of look like Kirby on the title screen, with the pink head.

I remember playing that game, and it definitely had the infection element as well.

Edit: Off-topic, but it has the best boxart.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karpa
Jan 2, 2009
I have another old game for you guys. It's a pc game with some sort of winter (I think) world map where you could walk and get into levels (like final fantasy, but it's not an rpg) of which one of them was a hut (?). The levels were puzzles-like, If I recall correctly, maybe some sort of platformer too. It was 2-D. I also think the protagonist was human, but I'm not so sure.

Sorry to be vague, I really don't remember except that the game was totally awesome. I used to play it when I was like 5 or so (so I guess it's in the '90.).

e: About that world map, you would go into levels to get keys, to unlock part of the maps and proceed to the next levels.

Karpa fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 20, 2010