Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Hakkesshu posted:

Are you sure it isn't "Rockford"? The main dude is a man, but actually does sort of look like Kirby on the title screen, with the pink head.

I remember playing that game, and it definitely had the infection element as well.

Yes, I'm sure. I'm pretty sure there was absolutely no 3D element to it - by that I mean no shading on any sprites that made them look remotely 3D, no perspective like on the blocks in that screenshot. The diamonds were simple rhombuses and not brilliant cut. When I say the character looked like Kirby I mean the body was a big ball.

I know I didn't play it on Windows, it was on DOS. I also played it in black & white, though that may not be helpful. It may have been on a 5.25" floppy.

I've been trying to refine a search on MobyGames but haven't come up with anything.

Edit: I missed the freeware page on that site before. I looked again and I think it was Felix. The name rings a bell and the graphics look the same.

Unfortunately that seems to be the only screenshot anywhere so it will be hard to verify further.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Earthkrash posted:

I have another old game for you guys. It's a pc game with some sort of winter (I think) world map where you could walk and get into levels (like final fantasy, but it's not an rpg) of which one of them was a hut (?). The levels were puzzles-like, If I recall correctly, maybe some sort of platformer too. It was 2-D. I also think the protagonist was human, but I'm not so sure.

Sorry to be vague, I really don't remember except that the game was totally awesome. I used to play it when I was like 5 or so (so I guess it's in the '90.).

e: About that world map, you would go into levels to get keys, to unlock part of the maps and proceed to the next levels.

It's probably one of the Commander Keen games or one of the other Apogee platformers (Crystal Caves, Secret Agent). Though I couldn't tell you which one has a snow level.

Karpa
Jan 2, 2009
Hmm, I'm not sure. I checked the videos of the games you mentionned, and the style was different. There wasn't any sounds, If I remember.

e: Yeah, I don't think it's an apogee game.

Karpa fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 20, 2010

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
A 3D RTS, I'm guessing '04 or '05, I only played the demo but mostly it was economy based, perhaps the full version had more combat, it was a western RTS and the demo involved building your ranch, hiring cowboys, trading with the town, and so on.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Serious Michael posted:

A 3D RTS, I'm guessing '04 or '05, I only played the demo but mostly it was economy based, perhaps the full version had more combat, it was a western RTS and the demo involved building your ranch, hiring cowboys, trading with the town, and so on.

Far West maybe.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Anjow posted:

Unfortunately that seems to be the only screenshot anywhere so it will be hard to verify further.

Could it be Digger?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

HereticSenility posted:

Thanks, but its been mentioned before and that's not it :(

I found the disc it came on, but unfortunately I can't run it on my 64-bit system, as I thought. If I can find an older computer to run it on I may be able to find out what it was.

Found it! It's Crusade in Space.

It's no Master of Orion, but I had fun with it back in the day.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ponzicar posted:

Castle of the Winds?

oh god, yes. Thank you so much! I've seriously been trying to remember for the better part of a decade now!

Naughty McGee
Mar 31, 2010
There was this one game that's been on my mind for a long time. I want to say it was from the early-mid 90s, and I played it at a friends house. All I remember about it was that you piloted a ship on the surface of a planet and then you could fly down tunnels, that, if I recall correctly, eventually brought you out to the other side of the planet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Naughty McGee posted:

There was this one game that's been on my mind for a long time. I want to say it was from the early-mid 90s, and I played it at a friends house. All I remember about it was that you piloted a ship on the surface of a planet and then you could fly down tunnels, that, if I recall correctly, eventually brought you out to the other side of the planet.

Did it look like StarFox? If so then it was probably CyberMorph (or its CD spinoff BattleMorph) on the Jaguar.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 21, 2010

Karpa
Jan 2, 2009

Naughty McGee posted:

Was it on pc? Did you have to shoot switches to open those tunnels/building/etc.? Did the game felt dark and desolated?

I think I have that game at home but I don't recall the name just now. I'll edit this when I get it.

e: Yep, It's Hellbender.

Karpa fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 21, 2010

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Naughty McGee posted:

Was it Terminal Velocity?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Naughty McGee posted:

Might've been Terminal Velocity, or its Windows adaptation Furył, or the sequel Hellbender.

Naughty McGee
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks guys, it was Terminal Velocity.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

This is a very long shot in the dark, especially given how little I can remember. It was an obscure PC game, either for DOS or Windows 95 (I'm leaning toward Win95). I was given this game by a friend, so I never had a booklet or box; just the CD slip, which had a knight in combat with a beast of some kind on it. The beast in the picture was taller than the knight by a fair amount, and loomed over him. The game was one in a series, and I believe the title contained more than one word.

I cannot remember how the game started, only that I never made it more than five minutes in without getting stuck! It seems to me that there were two different paths you could take from the start and once you chose one you couldn't get back to the beginning area, or the other path. The game was played from the first person, and had no interface the way I remember it (think Myst). One of the two paths brought you through some gardens(?) outside of a castle, and down by some water. It was nice out, spring or summer. I could never figure out how to interact with anything, do anything, or make any progress. Only click around say, ten screens-worth of environment.

Sorry this is painfully vague, but I have been racking my brain for years. The game is not Gabriel Knight or Shadowgate.

Thanks if anyone can get this.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Satellit3 posted:

This is a very long shot in the dark, especially given how little I can remember. It was an obscure PC game, either for DOS or Windows 95 (I'm leaning toward Win95). I was given this game by a friend, so I never had a booklet or box; just the CD slip, which had a knight in combat with a beast of some kind on it. The beast in the picture was taller than the knight by a fair amount, and loomed over him. The game was one in a series, and I believe the title contained more than one word.

I cannot remember how the game started, only that I never made it more than five minutes in without getting stuck! It seems to me that there were two different paths you could take from the start and once you chose one you couldn't get back to the beginning area, or the other path. The game was played from the first person, and had no interface the way I remember it (think Myst). One of the two paths brought you through some gardens(?) outside of a castle, and down by some water. It was nice out, spring or summer. I could never figure out how to interact with anything, do anything, or make any progress. Only click around say, ten screens-worth of environment.

Sorry this is painfully vague, but I have been racking my brain for years. The game is not Gabriel Knight or Shadowgate.

Thanks if anyone can get this.

Dragon Lore?

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 21, 2010

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Unfortunately not :( It was a 2D game in the same sense that Myst is.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Saint Septimus posted:

Looks like The Adventures of Captain Comic. Didn't seem like it at first, but a walkthrough on gamefaqs says that there's a corkscrew powerup which does exactly what you described.

Yes, that's exactly it! I'm totally amazed that you got this so quickly. Thanks!

Another PC game I can remember from the early 90's. It was a 2D shoot 'em up where your goal was to rescue humans from aliens. Most of the humans looked like Elvis or Marilyn Monroe. Your main weapon was a flamethrower, but using it would deplete your jetpack. You also had rockets and grenades. There were four levels, one of which was the alien ship, one was the street of New York. Your basic alien was a puddle of green slime, other aliens were green humanoids with grotesquely distorted heads and bodies. You got ammo and new weapons from vending machines.

Buh fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 22, 2010

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Satellit3 posted:

Unfortunately not :( It was a 2D game in the same sense that Myst is.

Actually, so was Dragon Lore, more or less. Everything was prerendered scenes and characters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yodPo5CgQm8&feature=related

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Buh posted:

Another PC game I can remember from the early 90's. It was a 2D shoot 'em up where your goal was to rescue humans from aliens. Most of the humans looked like Elvis or Marilyn Monroe. Your main weapon was a flamethrower, but using it would deplete your jetpack. You also had rockets and grenades. There were four levels, one of which was the alien ship, one was the street of New York. Your basic alien was a puddle of green slime, other aliens were green humanoids with grotesquely distorted heads and bodies. You got ammo and new weapons from vending machines.
Alien Carnage AKA Halloween Harry.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Halloween Harry it is! Thank you.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
This whole thread has been the opposite result for me. People mention games and then I look them up and remember playing them. Gotta love nostalgia.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
This game came on a demo disc bundled with an XBOX magazine in about 2005ish. From what I remember, it was a 1st-person historical war shooter. The thing I remember most was that it was ridiculously gruesome. You could shoot at corpses and completely tear apart the bodies, removing guts and limbs and everything. It was actually pretty shocking how gory this game was. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?
Worth a shot...

It was an isometric RPG similar style to Baldur's Gate and Arcanum, except it took part in a desert civilization setting.

I played the game at a friend's house, and I believe the game starts you off in some desert city and has something to do with a time machine.
For some reason I keep thinking "Dune" although I've searched and there is Dune the RTS series and Dune the mediocre 3D whatever-it-was.

I believe the game was bundled in one of those dual-jewel cases with some other game maybe.

Anyone have any clue?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

This game came on a demo disc bundled with an XBOX magazine in about 2005ish. From what I remember, it was a 1st-person historical war shooter. The thing I remember most was that it was ridiculously gruesome. You could shoot at corpses and completely tear apart the bodies, removing guts and limbs and everything. It was actually pretty shocking how gory this game was. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Soldier of Fortune 2?

Lord Master posted:

Worth a shot...

It was an isometric RPG similar style to Baldur's Gate and Arcanum, except it took part in a desert civilization setting.

I played the game at a friend's house, and I believe the game starts you off in some desert city and has something to do with a time machine.
For some reason I keep thinking "Dune" although I've searched and there is Dune the RTS series and Dune the mediocre 3D whatever-it-was.

I believe the game was bundled in one of those dual-jewel cases with some other game maybe.

Anyone have any clue?

What era was the graphical style? The Dark Sun games take place in the desert, but it doesn't sound like either of those.

Septerra Core starts in the desert, I think?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

I found a list of xbox first person shooters, if that may help jog your memory: http://games.teamxbox.com/index/xbox/by-genre/9/

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Lord Master posted:

The first Dune game had some adventure and RPG elements, could you be thinking of that?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dune/screenshots

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Hakkesshu posted:

Soldier of Fortune 2?

Yup, that was it I believe. Thanks!

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm thinking of an awesome arcade game I remember playing at Chuck-e-Cheese. It was basically an action/combat driving game that was around during the early 90s, and had SVGA-like, Super NES type graphics with a first-person perspective. It was sit-down, and you had an uzi you could fire at the enemies plus a steering wheel and pedals to control the car. I think if you had two players, one could control the gun and the other could drive though I may be wrong. Gameplay was shooting enemies and dodging their fire and other obstacles encountered.

I've looked around on mobygames, allgame and other similar sites, but I can't find this for the life of me.

Edit: To Der-Wreck and AngryGuy, that's it! Thanks a ton.

Jive One fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 28, 2010

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Jive One posted:

I'm thinking of an awesome arcade game I remember playing at Chuck-e-Cheese. It was basically an action/combat driving game that was around during the early 90s, and had SVGA-like, Super NES type graphics with a first-person perspective. It was sit-down, and you had an uzi you could fire at the enemies plus a steering wheel and pedals to control the car. I think if you had two players, one could control the gun and the other could drive though I may be wrong. Gameplay was shooting enemies and dodging their fire and other obstacles encountered.

I've looked around on mobygames, allgame and other similar sites, but I can't find this for the life of me.

That would be Lucky & Wild.

I'm also looking for an arcade shooter. It was a ghostbusters knockoff with three guns, the one in the middle being the biggest. It was a rails shooter that went around hunting ghosts. I sort of remember one level where you were driving through a city fighting ghosts. Another was a graveyard with zombies that would pop up on the screen and there may have been a sewer level. I think it may have been by Sega?

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

Jive One posted:

Lucky & Wild?

beaten.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Der-Wreck posted:

That would be Lucky & Wild.

I'm also looking for an arcade shooter. It was a ghostbusters knockoff with three guns, the one in the middle being the biggest. It was a rails shooter that went around hunting ghosts. I sort of remember one level where you were driving through a city fighting ghosts. Another was a graveyard with zombies that would pop up on the screen and there may have been a sewer level. I think it may have been by Sega?

Crypt Killer? It was one of the few I remember that were three-player. Thanks to you and AngryGuy for the quick responses by the way.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Der-Wreck posted:

Laser Ghost maybe. More info from Wikipedia.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Saint Septimus posted:

Laser Ghost maybe. More info from Wikipedia.

Thank you!! It is Laser Ghost. Oh man, it's been bugging me forever, yesssss.

Insane Techniques
Nov 15, 2006

Version 9.0
I played a game during the 90s on the old Pentium 133mHz and loved the hell out of it, but can't find it anymore. It was a space flight shooter in 3D, you had full range of movement and would travel through wormholes or portals to other systems to fight enemy ships (typical weapon systems like guns, missles etc). There was a story line to it that was pretty good and there was some massive ships you had to fight at times that I can remember. The only other thing I can remember is launching from your ship at the beginning of the mission, and the great graphics at the time. Best use of my flight stick ever.

I know it's not much to work off of, but if anyone has any ideas please post them. Thanks!

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?

Grey posted:

The first Dune game had some adventure and RPG elements, could you be thinking of that?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dune/screenshots

Thanks for the input, but that's not quite it.

Hakkesshu posted:

What era was the graphical style? The Dark Sun games take place in the desert, but it doesn't sound like either of those.

Septerra Core starts in the desert, I think?

The graphics are very Baldur's Gate 2 at high resolution (they're pretty sharp)
This game was definitely made after 1998, possible close to 2000 or so? Definitely not DOS.

And Septerra Core is one of my favorite games of all times (I'm actually playing it right now, which is why I remember this particular game)

--

I don't think the game is medieval at all. The city you start in had a very Tatooin feel feel to it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Master posted:

This game was definitely made after 1998, possible close to 2000 or so? Definitely not DOS.

And Septerra Core is one of my favorite games of all times (I'm actually playing it right now, which is why I remember this particular game)

--

I don't think the game is medieval at all. The city you start in had a very Tatooin feel feel to it.

poo poo, the only game I can think of from that era that has a vague sort of time travel element is NOX, since the dude you play is from modern times.

And just to get them out of the way, it's not Lionheart or Revenant, right?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

MazriM TaiM posted:

I played a game during the 90s on the old Pentium 133mHz and loved the hell out of it, but can't find it anymore. It was a space flight shooter in 3D, you had full range of movement and would travel through wormholes or portals to other systems to fight enemy ships (typical weapon systems like guns, missles etc). There was a story line to it that was pretty good and there was some massive ships you had to fight at times that I can remember. The only other thing I can remember is launching from your ship at the beginning of the mission, and the great graphics at the time. Best use of my flight stick ever.

I know it's not much to work off of, but if anyone has any ideas please post them. Thanks!

Let me just throw a few names out and see what sticks:

Wing Commander?
X-Wing/Tie-Fighter?
Freespace 1/2?

Any of those three would fit some or all of the criteria, but my guess is Freespace

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Lord Master posted:

Thanks for the input, but that's not quite it.

--

Shadow Vault, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

MazriM TaiM posted:

I played a game during the 90s on the old Pentium 133mHz and loved the hell out of it, but can't find it anymore.

maybe Privateer?