Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001
I might have the possibility of acquiring a Leica M6 for a good price. Are there any quality 50mm or 35mm lenses available for it that don't cost more than a car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Try the Voigtlander or Zeiss offerings.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Tziko posted:

I might have the possibility of acquiring a Leica M6 for a good price. Are there any quality 50mm or 35mm lenses available for it that don't cost more than a car?

A 50mm Summicron (f2) will run you around $7-800 used and it's pretty much the sharpest 35mm lens ever made. Not cheap, but not actually L-Glass pricey, either.

EDIT: spallink

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 19, 2010

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

haha, I've answered ad on a local craigslist site for some guy selling a 5dmkII with 24-105 for about $500.

There is no way this is legit.

e: The camera is apparently in italy. Suuuuuure, buddy.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 20, 2010

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paragon8 posted:

haha, I've answered ad on a local craigslist site for some guy selling a 5dmkII with 24-105 for about $500.

There is no way this is legit.

e: The camera is apparently in italy. Suuuuuure, buddy.

Quick, tell him that you will be sending him a money order for $1500 and could he please send you the difference.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

Quick, tell him that you will be sending him a money order for $1500 and could he please send you the difference.

haha, too late.

I know 99% of ads are too good to be true, but one time I got a 580EX for about $200 dollars less than retail because the guy didn't know how much it was really worth.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Paragon8 posted:

haha, too late.

I know 99% of ads are too good to be true, but one time I got a 580EX for about $200 dollars less than retail because the guy didn't know how much it was really worth.

Pristine Promaster (rebranded Tamron) 17-55 f/2.8 for Nikon. $85.

My friend got a hell of a deal. It was some doctor that didn't know what it was worth.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did he even bother trying to tell you WHY the camera was in "Italy"?

I mean I just want to hear the excuse.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

HPL posted:

I suppose you could get an older M39 Leica lens and put it on a Russian rangefinder. But then again you might get lynched for putting your godly Barnackian creation on a $10 camera.
I have a Zeiss Sonnar on my Kiev. Not quite the same, but I'm sure somebody out there would whine about that.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Wouldn't a Leica lens kluged on a Holga 120 body painted a two-tone blue and yellow using 35mm infrared film be the ultimate hipster camera?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Yes, definitely. lol.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
While riding a fixed gear, smoking a clove/American Spirit (bonus points for adding your own ground cloves to AS rollies) and listening to Bright Eyes.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
And sipping PBR.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Don't forget breast mural.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

pwn posted:

While riding a fixed gear, smoking a clove/American Spirit (bonus points for adding your own ground cloves to AS rollies) and listening to Bright Eyes.

I don't think Bright Eyes is a good choice.

More like The Ting Tings or MGMT. And wearing a cardigan and a childrens shirt found in a Vintage clothing store.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Saw this from lensrentals. Its a pro photographer simulator for the iPhone. What would you guys add for extra realism? I'm thinking minigame where you chase down the client for payment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqsSxpOBkDk&feature=player_embedded

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You lose the game if you touch your model.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Sudden death rice-and-beans cook off every time you submit an estimate.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Percentage chance that the shoot gets interrupted by the cops, a random pack of dudes who want to come ogle the model, or the model suddenly getting a call from her "dying" grandmother and having to suddenly leave.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The latter should be a option from the outset - 'Disable Flakes'.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

oncearoundaltair posted:

The latter should be a option from the outset - 'Disable Flakes'.

That would one of those options that decreases the difficulty level and lowers your final score. Just like 'equipment never breaks' 'clients pay on time' and 'no model drama'

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Saw this from lensrentals. Its a pro photographer simulator for the iPhone. What would you guys add for extra realism? I'm thinking minigame where you chase down the client for payment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqsSxpOBkDk&feature=player_embedded
Guy walking by asks how many megapixels your camera is and you lose points if the accelerometer detects your pulse rising.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I found this cool Space Shuttle processing time lapse from STS-130 yesterday http://www.airspacemag.com/video/Go-For-Launch.html

It's about 5 minutes long and spans over 6 weeks of work; shot on 5D2s. Missing from the footage is the processing in the VAB once the orbiter is mated and the month or so of processing done at the launch pad. I'm probably in a few of these shots but it's too quick to see me.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I did probably the dumbest thing I've ever done with my gear today. I was shooting a track meet, but only had one body instead of my usual two, so I had to keep switching between the 70-200 and 17-50. My R-strap was screwed into the collar of the 70-200.

At one point switching off the 70-200, I forgot the strap wasn't attached to the body, and just let go. :( It fell around four feet, fortunately directly onto my shoe, which I maneuvered quickly to cushion the fall. I imagine I would've been in deep poo poo had it hit the track directly.

Dummy!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

BobTheCow posted:

I did probably the dumbest thing I've ever done with my gear today. I was shooting a track meet, but only had one body instead of my usual two, so I had to keep switching between the 70-200 and 17-50. My R-strap was screwed into the collar of the 70-200.

At one point switching off the 70-200, I forgot the strap wasn't attached to the body, and just let go. :( It fell around four feet, fortunately directly onto my shoe, which I maneuvered quickly to cushion the fall. I imagine I would've been in deep poo poo had it hit the track directly.

Dummy!

Niiice footwork. I change lenses a lot, and fortunately haven't dropped any -- except for today, coincidentally. I got home from a 4-hour event and had my stuff all packed away. Then, there were a bunch of frogs out by my pond, so I hastily grabbed my stuff. I went to stick the 70-200 on by grabbing it by the hood, and the hood apparently wasn't on right and the lens fell about 1-2 feet, thankfully onto soft wood. I panicked as it fell because I was right near some rocks that bordered a pond. That would have sucked.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I visited my mom earlier this week, as I was leaving she handed me this dusty old box and said, "You like photography, would you want these?". It's full of glass negatives. I'm not really sure on how old they are but I'm going to say somewhere around 1900. Apparently a friend of hers found them in an old barn in the middle of nowhere. There are 14 in all, some are in better shape than others. They are all formal portraits taken in the same studio.

Here's a few of the ones that I found interesting. The only post I did was inverting them, desaturating, and curves. Any ideas on how old they are based on the clothing?

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Wooten posted:

I visited my mom earlier this week, as I was leaving she handed me this dusty old box and said, "You like photography, would you want these?". It's full of glass negatives. I'm not really sure on how old they are but I'm going to say somewhere around 1900. Apparently a friend of hers found them in an old barn in the middle of nowhere. There are 14 in all, some are in better shape than others. They are all formal portraits taken in the same studio.

Here's a few of the ones that I found interesting. The only post I did was inverting them, desaturating, and curves. Any ideas on how old they are based on the clothing?

Thats pretty cool. You should send them to http://www.shorpy.com/

brad industry
May 22, 2004
http://lapuravidagallery.com/blog/2010/05/oped-photographers-whose-work-aspiring-photographers-should-ignore

I :lol: ed

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Between this article and a thing I read last week I finally GET Eggleston and I'm lawling even harder because I was in an internet argument with someone over his work and I busted out "But you have to look at his work in context. Yes, its a bunch of color pictures of mundane poo poo, but in the '60s no one took color pictures of mundane poo poo and called them art. Now that we have flickr and digital cameras and lomography that's all anyone does."

So, yeah not 100% true, but close enough, right?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I'm just laughing about the fact that they included Ryan McGinley between Eggleston and Winograd.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I guess the first guy already took Goldin in his list so he had to settle for McGinley.

I liked the Stephen Shore one "Sorry to dissapoint you but you just exposed a big fat 8x10 of Nothing"

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Reichstag posted:

I'm just laughing about the fact that they included Ryan McGinley between Eggleston and Winograd.

mcginley :argh:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
:britain: goons:
Storyville : Killer Image - Shooting Robert King
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sjdmt/Storyville_20092010_Killer_Image_Shooting_Robert_King/

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
Canon mug came in yesterday! :neckbeard:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bloody August posted:

I've had mine about 3 days. Good size for work mug, about 12 ounces.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

torgeaux posted:

I've had mine about 3 days. Good size for work mug, about 12 ounces.

mine should be here sometime next week.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bloody August posted:

Wow, that's an actual thing?

This just about blows my mind because I was in the local camera store not a week ago and laughed to myself that the one canon lens looks like a mug :psyduck:

I think I have to get one!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Wow, that's an actual thing?

This just about blows my mind because I was in the local camera store not a week ago and laughed to myself that the one canon lens looks like a mug :psyduck:

I think I have to get one!

They are hilariously kitschy. Although, I'd kill to have an actual 70-200 f/1.4, which is what the "lens" is described as.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Smoke those cigarettes till you taste filter? I can smell that picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
poo poo, I'm sorry, didn't mean to give you cancer bro. Next time I'll move my ashtray out of the frame so nobody else has to suffer.

torgeaux posted:

They are hilariously kitschy. Although, I'd kill to have an actual 70-200 f/1.4, which is what the "lens" is described as.

The mug itself actually says 1:4 (the box doesn't specify), but given the amount of people who think the ratio means "f/1.4" on a lens, I'm not surprised that it would be described as such.

Engine Skull fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 27, 2010