Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: Complete the Gabriel Knight collection for 30% off it all, or the an individual game for 15% off the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Blodskur posted:

Weekend promo: Complete the Gabriel Knight collection for 30% off it all, or the an individual game for 15% off the price.

Hmmm... Anyone know if the first two are easy to rig up in DOS Box? I have real copies of all 3 games and have never finished a single one. Got 1 and 2 in that Sierra collection that came with the novelization of #1 around 10 years ago.

I ask because I can't even justify re-buying them on GoG when aside from the above, #3 is out of the box but the jewel case is still shrink wrapped.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Andrigaar posted:

Hmmm... Anyone know if the first two are easy to rig up in DOS Box?

All of the information you seek is in the OP.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Devil Wears Wings posted:

All of the information you seek is in the OP.

It was more of a rhetorical Y/N question based on my laziness to rig up the .conf files per game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

Hmmm... Anyone know if the first two are easy to rig up in DOS Box? I have real copies of all 3 games and have never finished a single one. Got 1 and 2 in that Sierra collection that came with the novelization of #1 around 10 years ago.

Yes, the first one is very easy to get running. Search for Gabriel Knight Win XP installer, and it'll take care of it. Note that the installer will also work on the GOG release, which will make the game run in the slightly superior Windows version.

I can't remember if there's an equivalent for the second game, but I don't recall having problems running it years ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Looks like they're trying to butter us up for a mediocre 3 weeks.

And it worked.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blodskur posted:

Aw man, I just bought GK2 a few weeks ago. Same thing happened to me with Divine Divinity. Then again, I would just be saving $0.90, which is a cheap lunch for me. And I have yet to finish Sanitarium and The Longest Journey.

GoG is like Steam that way, sometimes stuff is just too cheap to sit there unpurchased. Even when they are not on sale.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Blodskur posted:

I have always wondered about these games. I am not the biggest point and click adventure fan but can usually get sucked into one after a couple hours. Are these particularly good? 2 and 3 look like rear end but is one worth playing?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Andrigaar posted:

I recall the first two games having some minor problems even running in DoxBox properly, but I also recall using these unofficial patches. The ability to install all 6 discs of the second game to your hard drive is a godsend alone. I have no idea if they still work under Vista/Win-7 or not, but if they do, I would highly recommend that since IIRC they both had some improved visual and audio aspects that only worked under Windows.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

wretched_gavek posted:

I have always wondered about these games. I am not the biggest point and click adventure fan but can usually get sucked into one after a couple hours. Are these particularly good? 2 and 3 look like rear end but is one worth playing?

3 has the infamous "cat hair mustache" puzzle. That's all that you should need to know about that particular iteration.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

wretched_gavek posted:

I recall 1 and 2 to be better received, despite #2 being a FMV game. They are known to have great writing, probably better than Bioware and Black Isle RPGs.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

3 has the infamous "cat hair mustache" puzzle. That's all that you should need to know about that particular iteration.

It's got some particularly heinous puzzles, but if you play it with a walkthrough it's a genuinely great story, with some lovely scenes and especially the character progression is fantastic if you're a fan of the series.

Being mocked by Old Man Murray doesn't make something bad.

e: the Rennes-le-Château mystery is one of the most fascinating real-life mysteries besides, so a lot of the investigating you get to do in GK3 is just plain fun to do if you're a weird history fan like I am.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

It's dissapointing that's the reputation the game is left with, as it was also took a lot of risks with the genre (including the fact you could fail puzzles and that would change the game) and included what is probably the best puzzle in an adventure game ever.

Also, I find that everyone who points out that puzzle never actually played the game. I won't say it's not ridiculous, but it's no more ridiculous than a lot of other adventure game puzzles at the time, and it's nowhere near as obtuse as it's described by people who only read about it. (i.e. When I played it, it was blatantly obvious that you needed to both disguise yourself and alter the ID picture somehow.)

kuddles fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 21, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They're Sierra games which instantly means they have obtuse puzzles and death scenarios.

They're still Sierra games which means they have great production values, directing, and writing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kuddles posted:

It's dissapointing that's the reputation the game is left with, as it was also took a lot of risks with the genre (including the fact you could fail puzzles and that would change the game) and included what is probably the best puzzle in an adventure game ever.

Also, I find that everyone who points out that puzzle never actually played the game. I won't say it's not ridiculous, but it's no more ridiculous than a lot of other adventure game puzzles at the time, and it's nowhere near as obtuse as it's described by people who only read about it. (i.e. When I played it, it was blatantly obvious that you needed to both disguise yourself and alter the ID picture somehow.)
It's just a good standard scenario of what adventure games were doing at the time. The monkey-toy-stickup-backdoor from The Longest Journey is just as absurd and incredibly annoying because the items you need are from loving everywhere. We've just latched onto the cat mustache because the idea of a cat mustache is hilarious.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

kuddles posted:

In particular, a significant part of the game is spent deciphering a multi-part old-school riddle that makes you really proud of yourself when you finally crack the last part.

The mustache puzzle has been much decried but I don't think he's as illogical as some have said. You need to use a stolen passport to fool someone, and since the guy you stole it from looks little like you, you draw a mustache on his photo and use a fake mustache on yourself. Granted the way to make the fake mustache is a bit retarded, but the overall plan isn't that far-fetched.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blodskur posted:

*Ding* and that's a deal. I knew I'd buy 'em all eventually while initially I only bought part 1. Got 'em all in nice boxes around somewhere but hey, GOG all the way. :) Perfect sale for me.

I love GK!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes, the first one is very easy to get running. Search for Gabriel Knight Win XP installer, and it'll take care of it. Note that the installer will also work on the GOG release, which will make the game run in the slightly superior Windows version.
That poo poo don't work on 64-bit Windows though. (But for everyone else, it's here.)

This site will help getting the GK's going on DOSBox: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GabrielKnight/GKSeriesHelp.html

However I recommend everyone just shovel their moneys at GOG's direction for the great service they're providing. :)

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

It's just a good standard scenario of what adventure games were doing at the time. The monkey-toy-stickup-backdoor from The Longest Journey is just as absurd and incredibly annoying because the items you need are from loving everywhere. We've just latched onto the cat mustache because the idea of a cat mustache is hilarious.
Oh, I agree. I'm just expressing my dissapointment that one of the few adventure games that tried to move the genre forward has ironically become the poster child for why they were seen as antiquated. I also think a lot of people would have enjoyed it if they had played it at the time instead of letting one crappy puzzle represent the quality of the whole game.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

zedprime posted:

Funny. Outside of the deflating inner-tube puzzle in the first area, TLJ was mostly a breeze for me. If anything about that game's design annoyed me it was that I spent much longer listening to or reading dialogue than anything else.

It's been a while. Can you just speed read the text and skip all the precious voice acting?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

Funny. Outside of the deflating inner-tube puzzle in the first area, TLJ was mostly a breeze for me. If anything about that game's design annoyed me it was that I spent much longer listening to or reading dialogue than anything else.

It's been a while. Can you just speed read the text and skip all the precious voice acting?
Oh most certainly. I think you skip the rest of a line by right-clicking on the subtitle area or something like that. And that's definitely a game that needed that function. :downs:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

I seem to recall a weird puzzle against that wizard that had to deal with a calculator or something. It's been almost a decade but I really, really remember this super obscure puzzle where the solution was an obtuse dialog choice.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Blodskur posted:

GOG.com posted:

You already own all games from this promo. Enjoy them. :)

I see this message far more often than I'd like. :(

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

al-azad posted:

I seem to recall a weird puzzle against that wizard that had to deal with a calculator or something. It's been almost a decade but I really, really remember this super obscure puzzle where the solution was an obtuse dialog choice.
What, this was an awesome little puzzle.

Just like the magnetized screwdriver passed as a magic wand at the market, you give the wizard your calculator because his mind will be blown by its satanic omniscience. The former puzzle solution made the latter quite logical. The issue, though, is that you can't do this via the actual dialog choices which are a diversion, you'll need to look up the calculator from your inventory. That's how you trigger the maths duel.

You can only beat magic with science!

edit: I just cannot type.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 21, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zat posted:

Just like the magnetized screwdriver passed as a magic wand at the market, you give the wizard your calculator because his mind will be blown by its satanic omniscience. The former puzzle solution made the latter quite logical. The issue, though, is that you can't do this via the actual dialog choices which are a diversion, you'll need to look up the calculator from your inventory. That's how you trigger the maths duel.

*insert quote about technology being indistinguishable from magic*

Most of Longest Journey is a complete blur. I remember bits and pieces, I remember I enjoyed it, I remember weird glitches where the audio would gently caress up during certain scenes, and I remember dialog so long I actually nodded off a few times and I don't want to replay for fear of losing that hazy love. As for that wizard, I seem to recall his death being so ludicrous I laughed. He went insane and floated away into the sky or something.

I should pick up Dreamfall again. Never managed to finish it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Zat posted:

Man I loved that whole section in the floating castle. I think The Longest Journey is the only point and click adventure game I've beaten without a walkthrough.

vv
The voice acting is good from what I remember. It's been like 7 years since I last played it though.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 21, 2010

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
How was the english voice acting in The Longest Journey? Funcom made a norwegian version as well, and I seem to remember that voice acting was pretty good. Or maybe it was just impressive that it had norwegian voice acting at all.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

meatbag posted:

How was the english voice acting in The Longest Journey? Funcom made a norwegian version as well, and I seem to remember that voice acting was pretty good. Or maybe it was just impressive that it had norwegian voice acting at all.

The Longest Journey is a Norwegian game, iirc.

The voice acting is okay, but I think April's voice is obnoxious. In fact, I don't really like April at all.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Independence War Deluxe Edition is now on GOG for $5.99.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

:toot: I won the Twitter contest. I don't even know what to choose.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
I-War holy shiiiit

edit: it's the most realistic space sim ever where you pilot a 40-crew corvette in some of the most creative missions ever in any game. Highly recommended to all space nerds. I haven't played the Defiance expansion because it was pretty rare.

Gashroom fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Flying Milton posted:

:toot: I won the Twitter contest. I don't even know what to choose.

There are so many drat good games on GOG. :swoon:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Blodskur posted:

Ah crap, there goes my plan to not spend any money unnecessarily this week.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
How similar is Independence War to Freespace?

GunboatDiplomat
Aug 23, 2003

let the waters kiss
I thought it was a strategy game, i.e. not at all. Besides both featuring space.

mexican gray wolf
May 10, 2008

Wolves have acute hearing, and on a flat landscape, their howls can travel 9 miles. Those fluffy satellite dish-ears rotate to focus on particular sounds, like prey items or danger.
Independence War can be considered more of a hardcore space simulator (stuff like real space physics and subsystems I think) compared to Freespace. My only experience is with the 2nd game so I don't really know though, at least I can try out the first one now!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

GoldenNugget posted:

Man I loved that whole section in the floating castle. I think The Longest Journey is the only point and click adventure game I've beaten without a walkthrough.

vv
The voice acting is good from what I remember. It's been like 7 years since I last played it though.

For some reason I got stuck on the part where you're supposed to give a guard a shaken up can of soda, because you have to find the paint shaker machine that's off in some other location and I didn't notice it when I was in that area :argh:

But other than that it was mostly a decent with its puzzles and things like that. One of the better adventure games I've played

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Blodskur posted:

I was the project lead on the Defiance campaign, and I'm thrilled it's on sale again. (though I won't see a penny of the proceeds :( ) Independence War's been a bit of a forgotten classic - it won Gamespot's Space Sim of The Year award when there actually was a Space Sim Of The Year award, that's how much the market has changed since then.

It's always been a tricky game to get working on modern systems, so it'll be interesting to see if GOG have managed to get it all working. I wonder if it's software mode only or if they've packaged a 3Dfx glide wrapper with it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I-War is to space sims as Operation Flashpoint is to shooters. My cousin bought a $200 flightstick just for it and played the thing religiously. I had no idea what the gently caress was going on but damnit if it wasn't fun to watch.

I'd say hardcore buffs need only apply but the price is definitely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm waiting on I-War 2, which was a huge improvement over the first. A little less simmish, but it hit that magic sweet-spot of convincing pseudo-realism and beefy action gameplay that I like so much.

Apparently it has some trouble with NVidia cards, which is something for GoG to look into, but it actually has aged shockingly well, and even supports native widescreen and 16:10 resolutions. There's also a fairly sizeable pile of mods for it, including an Elite-style open universe mod.

Also, the default guns you get on your main ship in I-War 2 are among the most bowel-looseningly powerful-sounding weapons in the history of videogames. If you have a subwoofer, you will feel joy.