Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

Ah yes. While Universal kicks it like it's 2006 via DNR, Fox does it with their prices.

Fox wants $29.99 for Steven Seagal's Marked for Death. No extras, nothing. Fox is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Edit: ^^^ Luckily, so is Steven Seagal and (most of) his movies.

Just got finished watching Criterion's Blu of Repulsion (dir. Roman Polanski). Never thought a black and white film could look so good. Criterion is really knocking it out of the park with these transfers, can't wait to see what else they have in store for us. In regards to the film itself, does anyone else find it ironic that the film hints that Carole's extreme fear of men was brought about by some sort of (presumably) sexual childhood trauma, given what Polanski has been accused of?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Edit: ^^^ Luckily, so is Steven Seagal and (most of) his movies.

Just got finished watching Criterion's Blu of Repulsion (dir. Roman Polanski). Never thought a black and white film could look so good. Criterion is really knocking it out of the park with these transfers, can't wait to see what else they have in store for us. In regards to the film itself, does anyone else find it ironic that the film hints that Carole's extreme fear of men was brought about by some sort of (presumably) sexual childhood trauma, given what Polanski has been accused of?

There's definitely some interesting things to poke around at in that movie, given Polanski's reputed misogynistic streak. The guy's Playboy interview from the late 60s is pretty bad in that regard. It's also extra juicy because of the adolescent naivete that Deneuve's character projects - it's like if somebody made a horror movie about how boys have cooties. Well, that and the rape.

I love, love, love Repulsion. I'm just waiting for the next B&N Criterion sale so I can pick up a bunch of their blus - I also want to grab Days of Heaven so badly it hurts.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

There's definitely some interesting things to poke around at in that movie, given Polanski's reputed misogynistic streak. The guy's Playboy interview from the late 60s is pretty bad in that regard. It's also extra juicy because of the adolescent naivete that Deneuve's character projects - it's like if somebody made a horror movie about how boys have cooties. Well, that and the rape.

I love, love, love Repulsion. I'm just waiting for the next B&N Criterion sale so I can pick up a bunch of their blus - I also want to grab Days of Heaven so badly it hurts.
Would you happen to have a link to that interview?

Also, I didn't really see it as him being misogynistic, mostly because the majority of the male characters in the film were creepy pervs who seemed only interested in Carole's body (with the exception of Colin, who gets brutally murdered all the same). Repulsion seems more of a pessimistic take on romantic relations than anything else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

Kick-rear end 8/3

Sweet, this movie is great.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Sweet, this movie is great.

This movie was amazing, but they could have done the first 35 minutes a little better. It just moved a little slow.

But on the subject of Spartacus:Blood and Sand, I agree that the first few episodes will make you really want to turn your tv off but after about the fifth episode it becomes extremely amazing. The season finale is probably one of the best I have seen for a first season tv show.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Volcasarus ReX posted:

This movie was amazing, but they could have done the first 35 minutes a little better. It just moved a little slow.
Are you going to get the blu ray?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Would you happen to have a link to that interview?

Also, I didn't really see it as him being misogynistic, mostly because the majority of the male characters in the film were creepy pervs who seemed only interested in Carole's body (with the exception of Colin, who gets brutally murdered all the same). Repulsion seems more of a pessimistic take on romantic relations than anything else.

It's not online as far as I know, I read it in the Playboy Interviews: The Directors book (which is awesome and anybody who likes movies should pick it up). The Polanski interview is the best one in the book.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"The funniest comedy since 'The Hangover'!"
-God

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

-God
At least they used green lettering instead of red

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

doctor thodt posted:

-God

What the hell, are they basically copying the Apatow formula as far as casting goes?

What is that movie? :psyduck:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Agreed posted:

What the hell, are they basically copying the Apatow formula as far as casting goes?

I actually thought it wasn't half bad. It's very similar to Apatow films, but I thought both the leads pulled their parts off pretty well.

Mind you I saw it for free at a screening.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

qbert posted:

I actually thought it wasn't half bad. It's very similar to Apatow films, but I thought both the leads pulled their parts off pretty well.

Mind you I saw it for free at a screening.

Well, Jay is from the Apatow troupe. I pretty much will give anything he is in a chance just because of Undeclared.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Agreed posted:

God I wish I were you and didn't see the trailer for this turd 380 times a day while it was out.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tony Danza Claus posted:

God I wish I were you and didn't see the trailer for this turd 380 times a day while it was out.

Underwear would be fine...if I was wearing any! :laffo:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
More info on the new Predator BD:

quote:

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu-ray Special Features: (Catalog #2268509)
* ALL-NEW Digital Restoration of Predator
* ALL-NEW Sneak Peak at Predators
* ALL-NEW “Evolution of the Species: Hunters of Extreme Perfection” Featurette
* Feature-Length Audio Commentary by John McTiernan
* Text Commentary by Historian Eric Lichtensfeld
* “If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It” Making-Of Documentary
* “Inside The Predator” Documentary
* Special Effects Featurettes
* Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
* Short Takes
* Theatrical Trailers
* Photo Galleries
* Predator Profile

PREDATOR: ULTIMATE HUNTER EDITION BLU-RAY
Street Date: June 29, 2010
Prebook Date: June 2, 2010
Screen Format: Widescreen - 1.85:1
Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, English 4.0 Dolby Surround, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and French 5.1 DTS
Subtitles: English/French/Spanish
U.S. Rating: R
Total Run Time: 108 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes

:hellyeah:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Glad I held off on the first disc. Looks like it'll be holding me over until the Aliens set comes out.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I told my wife to pick up a few BDs that she wanted to see when she went shopping yesterday, and she got 9 and Public Enemies. I didn't know until recently that Universal apparently has a bit of a notorious reputation for poor BD transfers. We watched 9 tonight, pretty good film, not great, but intriguing and at least a little subversive... It looked great. Excellent detail, extremely crisp visuals but with some softness (the animation and virtual camera technology clearly isn't as sophisticated and deep as the magic behind Wall-E but there's some of the same kind of stuff going on). I don't see any problems with the transfer, though it took an annoyingly long time to load because of the unusual structure of the BD itself, with multiple content accesses and downloads before it got to the menu. Am I missing something?

And should I expect bad things from Public Enemies? My wife is a huge Johnny Depp fan and while she can employ a perfectly critical eye, I imagine she's going to be pretty satisfied by the content. I'm more guilty than she is of using movies to watch my gear, silly but it is what it is; I'm kind of curious what I should look for if this is a poor transfer. But if it's not, then awesome :)

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

fenix down posted:

Are you going to get the blu ray?

Of course I will. Overall I thought the movie was great and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope they have some great bonus features, for some reason I just expect this bluray to come with lots of great extras.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

And should I expect bad things from Public Enemies? My wife is a huge Johnny Depp fan and while she can employ a perfectly critical eye, I imagine she's going to be pretty satisfied by the content. I'm more guilty than she is of using movies to watch my gear, silly but it is what it is; I'm kind of curious what I should look for if this is a poor transfer. But if it's not, then awesome :)

Considering Public Enemies is Mann-style digital, you're either going to hate the look of the thing or click into what he's doing immediately - but, technically, as a transfer, it's perfect.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I've been digging digital since Greenaway showed me it could be beautiful. I look forward to seeing how it plays. (And to seeing the movie, too!)

Is Universal's reputation for poor transfers undeserved, or does it relate more to processing done to classic films to remove film grain, over-use of DNR, etc.?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't imagine Predator being anything more than "Well it looks OK, I guess. I mean it's clearly HD but...eh."

80s filmmakers and softness :argh:

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Agreed posted:

I told my wife to pick up a few BDs that she wanted to see when she went shopping yesterday, and she got 9 and Public Enemies. I didn't know until recently that Universal apparently has a bit of a notorious reputation for poor BD transfers. We watched 9 tonight, pretty good film, not great, but intriguing and at least a little subversive... It looked great. Excellent detail, extremely crisp visuals but with some softness (the animation and virtual camera technology clearly isn't as sophisticated and deep as the magic behind Wall-E but there's some of the same kind of stuff going on). I don't see any problems with the transfer, though it took an annoyingly long time to load because of the unusual structure of the BD itself, with multiple content accesses and downloads before it got to the menu. Am I missing something?

Universal has a reputation for poor CATALOGUE titles - not new day-and-date releases of movies just out of the theaters. Recent BDs they've messed up include Out Of Africa, Spartacus, Elizabeth, etc. - all films from years ago, that require Universal going back to old HD masters that aren't up to snuff with current technologies and standards. The correct thing to do would be find a high quality print or film negative, re-scan, and then perform work from there to create a modern HD master - but Universal has basically shown us that they don't give enough of a poo poo to do that kind of thing.

For brand new films, there's really no room for these kinds of fuckups - they have the perfect digital intermediate already, so it's just a matter of making a decent 1080p encode. Both 9 and Public Enemies were brand new films when the BDs were released, so you're fine. 9 is a computer animation film, so the BD is pretty flawless. Public Enemies kind of looks like rear end at times, but that's due to Mann's shooting style (digital cameras in extremely low light environments) - it looked that way in theaters too. Both are perfectly good Blu-ray presentations.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 22, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Man With No Name Trilogy reviewed

Looks like a pretty safe buy, zooming aside.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Eesh, Public Enemy has some pretty ugly problems. Nothing with the transfer, just mediocre source material. Digital is great at a lot of things but this was a poor usage if I've ever seen one. My wife has even been somewhat offput as the scenes display really widely varying picture quality, levels, saturation, etc., and I figured she'd be too wrapped up in the story to care. But, as promised, it's not the transfer - I get the feeling this looked kind of bad in theaters too.

Great movie, though.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I recently rented the Disney classic Snow White and initially I could not get the disc to play in my PS3. Everytime I would hear my amp click to say it had changed output, only for it to click again and drop me back to the dashboard with a cryptic error message. The only hints I could find suggested the bluray laser is going in my PS3 (I hope not) and to turn off the super white option under display settings. this did allow me to watch the film, however, with Disney view enabled I had playback issues when the border changed. I decided to drop back to the main menu and start again with the Disney View turned off. This played but instead of pauses I now experienced jumps in the movie at each chapter.
Is it just Disney being daft, my PS3 being crap, or a combination of the two?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Agreed posted:

But, as promised, it's not the transfer - I get the feeling this looked kind of bad in theaters too.

Great movie, though.
I thought the digital style looked great in the theater, but I keep pushing back the BR on my Netflix queue for various reasons. If I still like it, I'll probably buy it; it's a terrificly underrated movie. My friends who saw it with me hated it & wanted some kind of John Dillinger vs. The Keystone Kops kind of thing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Definitely give it a watch before you commit, it's not one I'll be "showing off" but the story is great. Depp's Dillinger is eerily on-point. Really captures the whole drive behind the creation of the FBI, the "public enemy" era, Dillinger's strange relationship with the people - what's in a name, everything! But don't expect it to look all that great at home, there are brightness fluctuations in scenes and the recording doesn't seem that great at picking up a lot of the scenic nuance, probably thanks to the usage of those cameras in dark places. Really unfortunate since there was clearly an enormous amount of work put into making it a historically accurate costume drama with fantastic sets and everything.

Everybody who is in focus looks great, and lighter scenes are excellent, but even though I am a big fan of digital I just don't think this was a good fit (based on home viewing of the BD). Still glad to own it, glad to have the story in my collection, but technical flaws.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Volcasarus ReX posted:

FitFortDanga has a cure for that.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

ProfessorClumsy posted:

FitFortDanga has a cure for that.

I tried searching but couldn't find what he said.

However, I actually re-watched the movie the other day and it wasn't as drawn out as I remember at the theater. I would say as of now it's one of my favorite movies from this year

Volcasarus ReX fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 24, 2010

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I tried searching but couldn't find what he said.

You might've fast forwarded over it. :laugh:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I watched Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory the other night and it's absurdly crisp and clear for a low-budget kid's movie from 1971. Also, "Cheer Up, Charlie" is great and I don't care what anybody says.

Safe Driver posted:

You might've fast forwarded over it. :laugh:

zing!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chloe 7/13
Charlie's Angels 8/3
Pandora and The Flying Dutchman 8/3

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

Chloe 7/13
Charlie's Angels 8/3
Pandora and The Flying Dutchman 8/3

Yay?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Why didn't anyone tell me DisneyNature: Earth was loving incredible?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me DisneyNature: Earth was loving incredible?

Isn't that just a chopped up version of Planet Earth for kids?

That's probably why, everyone already has the full version. :smugdog:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Planet Earth came out on BD?

:aaaaa:

Edit: And for only around $50 at most places, too! Why did I not know about this? Getting as soon as possible. Now I have to check on The Life of Birds and a bunch of other stuff too.

Edit 2: Oh my god they're all on blu-ray, amazon purchasing spree underway. You better MEAN "Like New," merchants :colbert:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 25, 2010

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
It's Christmas in May today for me. Repulsion, Yojimbo/Sanjuro set, Stagecoach and Days of Heaven Criterion blu-rays all arriving, along with Django. My nights for a while are set (not to mention Mario Galaxy 2 coming in hah).

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 25, 2010

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Anyone know why Joy Division biopic Control is only on blu-ray in Germany?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sadly, a lot of good movies are only on Blu-Ray in Germany. Many of them are region free though, and well-worth importing (I have Rob Roy and Running Scared myself).

• Locked thread