Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tomorrow I will probably buy my first Subaru Impreza.

I'm gonna get the stock model, with the sport body kit. I dont need all the power of the WRX. I'm considering the sport leather seats and maybe the alloy wheels, but we'll see what sorta deal I can cut for myself.

But I'm slightly terrified.

I'm gonna be buying this sucker with cash. I will still have plenty of money to play with. However the thought of spending $30,000AUD all at once is terrifying.

Will post pictures of my new car when I have it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

bull3964 posted:

Then how did you get the cover back on?

"all" was a slight exaggeration, there are 3 or 4 of them left. the captive nut still kinda jams in the spot where it was supposed to stay so I guess the covers stay on ok.

edit - you could also order new rear timing covers, and then try to remember to loosen and retorque the timing cover fasteners when you do oil changes etc. then you won't break out all the captive nuts next time. Also maybe this issue is less severe in states that have milder climates.

ab0z fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 21, 2010

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Blaise posted:

So my new-to-me '02 WRX which I've put 400 miles on (200 since I changed the oil) has the dipstick reading halfway between full and fill. Half a quart on 200 miles?

Great, time to replace the turbo? Seriously? At 104k miles? Jesus. :cry:

This is what scares me about buying a used car. =/ You just never know when something is going to break.

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

ab0z posted:

"all" was a slight exaggeration, there are 3 or 4 of them left. the captive nut still kinda jams in the spot where it was supposed to stay so I guess the covers stay on ok.

edit - you could also order new rear timing covers, and then try to remember to loosen and retorque the timing cover fasteners when you do oil changes etc. then you won't break out all the captive nuts next time. Also maybe this issue is less severe in states that have milder climates.

When I changed mine, all the heads of the bolts were so rusty, they hardly looked like bolts at all, so I douched the poo poo out of them with penetrating oil, and let them sit all day, I think I broke off maybe 2 after all of my worrying.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Blaise posted:

So my new-to-me '02 WRX which I've put 400 miles on (200 since I changed the oil) has the dipstick reading halfway between full and fill. Half a quart on 200 miles?

Great, time to replace the turbo? Seriously? At 104k miles? Jesus. :cry:

Just replaced mine at 108K. That wasn't the only problem I had (low compression in two cylinders due to crack ringlands) either, so that repair bill sucked rear end.

Pull off your intercooler and check for oil in it.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

LordOfThePants posted:

Pull off your intercooler and check for oil in it.

What will this tell you? All subaru intercoolers have oil in them unless you specifically install a catch can or separator. My '09 with 7k miles on it has oil in the intercooler.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

BoostCreep posted:

What will this tell you? All subaru intercoolers have oil in them unless you specifically install a catch can or separator. My '09 with 7k miles on it has oil in the intercooler.

Back when my Forester was smoking like mad and starting weird when it was warm, I did a whole bunch of troubleshooting to try and figure it out. One of the things I read was that if you had a bunch of oil in your intercooler, there was a likelihood that your turbo seal was shot. Fecal Fajita had similar problems as I did around the same time and posted some pictures of his and it was quite oily.

Mine on the other hand had a film of oil, but nothing so bad that it made me think the turbo was shot. I was getting smoke out of the oil filler cap and it smoked really, really badly at idle (think James Bond smokescreen levels) once it was warm. Compression test showed <100 in two cylinders. One new shortblock later, it was still smoking. Closer inspection of the turbo revealed it was indeed shot, so I had to replace that too.

I was actually thinking about rebuilding the turbo and trying to sell it, but I just looked and a rebuild kit is about $110. I probably won't rebuild it, I can't see anyone wanting to pay enough for a rebuilt TD04 to make it worth my time spent rebuilding it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Timing belt is pretty easy. I put a video up on you tube of me installing one here although I don't know if that link will work
m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&client=mv-google&hl=en&v=D1PunROR3VU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

jamal posted:

Timing belt is pretty easy. I put a video up on you tube of me installing one here although I don't know if that link will work
m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&client=mv-google&hl=en&v=D1PunROR3VU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PunROR3VU

Also, I just got back from the garage, I started up my impreza after doing timing service and other things, it didn't even blow up at all!

Timing service, engine and wrx trans mounts, valve cover gaskets, water pump and thermostat, WRX seats, tie rods and boots. What a pain but I like the car again.

ab0z fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 22, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nicely done. How hard was the trans mount to install? I just now discovered the existence of the pitch stop mount, having never looked behind an intercooler (except to check for the presence of the turbo heat shield on used WRXes) before.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Trans mount and pitch stop are very simple. Getting the rear motor mount bolts out can be annoying though

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I finally worked out why my diff is moving - the frigging rubber mounts are leaving this planet. Actually, just about all the rubber bushings are hosed in the rear.

Looks like I have a cast iron excuse to change the whole lot for poo poo a lot better. What exactly I'm not sure as yet.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
OK, I haven't really posted in a few years, but I figured it was time to ask someone for advice.

I have a 2002 WRX Wagon and the rear suspension is shot, as far as I can tell. Clunks hard on most roads and you can hear a rattle from the suspension from a city block away... sort of embarrassing when driving through quiet neighborhoods.

Problem is, I just lost my position and work and am going to be making half as much as I was beforehand. What are my cheapest/best ways to get this replaced? I've never done suspension work and its all a mystery to me, so I will need to get someone else to do it, but what is the bare minimum I should be investing on the parts side?

I'm pretty sure the struts are what is shot, the body is about an inch or less above the rear tires and RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE is all you hear when driving... along with lots of bounces and there's just an overall lovely, rough ride.

Basically I'm asking if anyone has advice to fix this on the cheap. :(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

I finally worked out why my diff is moving - the frigging rubber mounts are leaving this planet. Actually, just about all the rubber bushings are hosed in the rear.

Looks like I have a cast iron excuse to change the whole lot for poo poo a lot better. What exactly I'm not sure as yet.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

Anyone know anything about ISC coilovers? I'm thinking of buying them off some guy who had them on his Legacy GT for 500 miles, but is selling them because he thought they were too stiff. I've never driven a car with coilovers before, am I going to be in a world of ultra stiff suspension hurt?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Sabotaged posted:

Anyone know anything about ISC coilovers? I'm thinking of buying them off some guy who had them on his Legacy GT for 500 miles, but is selling them because he thought they were too stiff. I've never driven a car with coilovers before, am I going to be in a world of ultra stiff suspension hurt?

Don't do it.

Why do you want coilovers in the first place? Thats the deciding factor.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

Yeah I'm thinking I shouldn't. Some budget coilovers that not many people seem to have, probably not a good idea. It might be fun to autocross once in a while, but I primarily just want to firm up the stock suspension.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sabotaged posted:

Yeah I'm thinking I shouldn't. Some budget coilovers that not many people seem to have, probably not a good idea. It might be fun to autocross once in a while, but I primarily just want to firm up the stock suspension.

Then just do normal stiffer springs. Coilovers are a complete waste of time for you - and budget coilovers are always worthless poo poo.

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

Right, a plan; let me put on my slightly larger glasses.
Not sure if this is the right place, but I figure it's worth a shot.

I have a stereo (a Panasonic CQ-C1335U) that I took out of my 1990 Legacy (R.I.P old friend) and am trying to install in the 1999 Legacy Outback that I just bought. Now, I know: "what the hell were you thinking ripping open your car's stereo if you don't know anything about car audio or electronics?!" I am curious and I like to learn.

So, now that I'm at this point, I'm realizing that it's a bit harder than I anticipated. What comes out of my car looks like this:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

(I think it's this).

What comes out of my stereo currently (the one I want to install, which was ripped from a '90 Legacy) looks like this:

The back of the stereo with nothing plugged in at all looks like this:

Questions:
Any tips on what I need to connect the two?
In the car's console, what does that small two-pin connector do?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You need a wiring harness like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701773/Subaru-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?search=subaru+harness&ssi=0
to splice onto your radio's harness. It probably already has the older Subaru connectors soldered or crimped on.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wahey, I bought my first new car.

I got a Subaru Impreza R Sedan with a Sport Body kit and Leather interior. Over here in Australia, a R Sedan goes for 23k, an RS goes for 35k. I got my R sedan for 26k. I'm quite happy with the price.

Now I just need to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive. This wait is going to kill me.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I think my struts are going. I've got some kind of clunking sound when I leave my driveway in the morning. What's the best way to check them out? 126K miles, stock. Seen it's tours of snow, pavement, and dirt.

If they're toast what should I be look for? GR2? AGX? D-spec? What ballpark are they priced at, Google shopping seems hilariously inconsistent. Car sees both rallycross and tarmac.

I've also got to do something about my rear diff clunking around...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

I think my struts are going. I've got some kind of clunking sound when I leave my driveway in the morning. What's the best way to check them out? 126K miles, stock. Seen it's tours of snow, pavement, and dirt.

If they're toast what should I be look for? GR2? AGX? D-spec? What ballpark are they priced at, Google shopping seems hilariously inconsistent. Car sees both rallycross and tarmac.

I've also got to do something about my rear diff clunking around...

Doubt I could assume you've got a N/A bugeye wagon by your avatar, could I?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

Doubt I could assume you've got a N/A bugeye wagon by your avatar, could I?

Close, sedan.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A clunking sound is probably not the struts on your car but at 126k they're gone anyway. Gr2 is the stock replacement, agx is the slightly better adjustable that gives you the option for stiffer springs, d-spec is the current preferred strut upgrade, and koni inserts are a step above that. Whatever you do, don't buy lovely coilovers. Also we might have some sti springs at the shop if they didn't get thrown away. They' be a good cheap match for nrw struts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

Ummm.... was that you saying that you have the same situation? I'm having a Sheldon Cooper I dont understand moment.

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

CharlesM posted:

You need a wiring harness like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701773/Subaru-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?search=subaru+harness&ssi=0
to splice onto your radio's harness. It probably already has the older Subaru connectors soldered or crimped on.

Awesome. I got it, re-wired the new stereo, and plugged it in to test it (it works!). I just need to get a longer antenna cable and I'll be in business. The antenna port on my old deck is on the opposite side as the new one, and the current cable doesn't reach.

One other question. My old stereo was 2 decks, and my new one is only one. Does anyone know the name of the cubby or even just a blank panel that I'd put in place of the second deck? Ideally I'd like the little cubby thing. I have no idea what it's called, or how to search for one though.

Diagram in case I'm not clear:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
DIN cubby or DIN pocket. Aftermarket ones are common, but I'd look to see if Subaru originally sold the car with a single DIN radio (standard height instead of double) and get the pocket from that, which will then match the color and have a nifty door on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You want a DIN pocket: https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=630

It's designed for the Forester, but it should work fine with the Impreza. There's a black one for the earlier Imprezas (pre-2002) as well. You might need to fiddle around with it (drilling holes, etc) to make it look great, but I'd say that's worth the time.

While you're at it, get the armrest extension.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 25, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I usually just crawl through the junkyard for a bit until I find one of those universal DIN cubbies. Bonus if you find an upmarket trim of your car and get all the expensive options off it. Thats how I got a Homelink garage door opener in my Maximas visor for $2.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Where can I find high res versions of previous year model subaru pictures?
I want to put a nice walpaper on this PC I just built for my buddy, and he is getting an 06 impreza wagon, in that darker silver color. Ideally I would have that exact car, but a really nice professional picture of it.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

ab0z posted:

Where can I find high res versions of previous year model subaru pictures?
I want to put a nice walpaper on this PC I just built for my buddy, and he is getting an 06 impreza wagon, in that darker silver color. Ideally I would have that exact car, but a really nice professional picture of it.

Something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/suprdevil/2457538061/ ?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
No I'm looking for the original subaru press photos, I know there's a set of this exact car, but I can't find good high res versions of it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Ummm.... was that you saying that you have the same situation? I'm having a Sheldon Cooper I dont understand moment.

My sti struts clunk a little because the inverted shaft sticks on the housing. In his case it's probably a bad ball joint or tie rod or bushing

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

CharlesM posted:

DIN cubby or DIN pocket. Aftermarket ones are common, but I'd look to see if Subaru originally sold the car with a single DIN radio (standard height instead of double) and get the pocket from that, which will then match the color and have a nifty door on it.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You want a DIN pocket: https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=630

It's designed for the Forester, but it should work fine with the Impreza. There's a black one for the earlier Imprezas (pre-2002) as well. You might need to fiddle around with it (drilling holes, etc) to make it look great, but I'd say that's worth the time.

While you're at it, get the armrest extension.

Thanks guys! I ended up getting a generic one (I understand that an original one probably would have been better, but I was getting tired of not having a stereo, and I don't trust myself to disassemble and reassemble all that stuff twice without breaking something). It was pretty easy to install, and I don't think it looks out of place:

Click here for the full 673x507 image.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow! Glad I could help. Nice job :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
http://www.badgeofownership.com/Default.aspx

Pretty much all of you have to sign up for the lower-left badge. Unfortunately, it seems like it's US-only.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

http://www.badgeofownership.com/Default.aspx

Pretty much all of you have to sign up for the lower-left badge. Unfortunately, it seems like it's US-only.

Dear Lord shoot me now. Whatever the hell happened to accquiring "World Champion 1995, 2001, 2003" badges?

Edit : gently caress I was going to make a snide Lesbian joke but there is indeed a badge -_-. gently caress this poo poo, who wants me to make "Rally" badges?

Edit2 : Is it just me or is this Photoshop material?

quote:

My sti struts clunk a little because the inverted shaft sticks on the housing. In his case it's probably a bad ball joint or tie rod or bushing

No, I was meaning where you quoted me bringing up the rally car's diff rubber issue. Having a similar issue?

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 27, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Dear Lord shoot me now. Whatever the hell happened to accquiring "World Champion 1995, 2001, 2003" badges?

Edit : gently caress I was going to make a snide Lesbian joke but there is indeed a badge -_-. gently caress this poo poo, who wants me to make "Rally" badges?

Edit2 : Is it just me or is this Photoshop material?
There's a "performance" badge, but I was hoping for stuff like "second complete respray" or "third head gasket." Maybe those fall under "mechanical."

You could do a whole series of defect badges for other automakers - I know Volvo does mileage badges and Mercedes used to, but imagine the potential.

Acura: Car stolen 2 times
BMW: Had a major service that broke four figures
Chevy: Abrupt convertible conversion
Mazda: Better fuel economy than oil economy
Mitsubishi: Slid into a concrete barrier while jumping a hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
GM: Windows wont roll down, AC doesn't work, fans stuck on highest setting