Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Whitezombi posted:

coooooooooooool

e: okay more specifically, this does what you see a million photos TRY to do, and does it well: it makes the clouds the subject, and you can FEEL them. They have presence. The slice of Petroglyph below is probably the best way I've seen those three little mountain thing portrayed. They feel small as they are in the context of New Mexico, a footnote to the glorious sky that was around this weekend.

Really, really, like it because it's what I see when I look at that skyline from a distance, but never thought to portray it like that.

Anyway, a made a few token shots while on a trip

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Interrupting Moss posted:

coooooooooooool

e: okay more specifically, this does what you see a million photos TRY to do, and does it well: it makes the clouds the subject, and you can FEEL them. They have presence. The slice of Petroglyph below is probably the best way I've seen those three little mountain thing portrayed. They feel small as they are in the context of New Mexico, a footnote to the glorious sky that was around this weekend.

Really, really, like it because it's what I see when I look at that skyline from a distance, but never thought to portray it like that.

Thanks. I see that every day when I bike/drive to work. I picked a friend up from work and this is the view from the parking lot. I had been looking for a really good place to shoot the volcanoes on the west mesa and I stumbled upon it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Don't know if it would have been possible, but I'd like to see this shot from lower...I think if you could have framed that tree against that sky it would have made a more powerful image. The colors are really, really nice.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I posed these in SAD a little while ago; I really like them so I'm posting them here, too.

And I agree with torgeaux. That is a stunning shot, but down lower and a little tighter would really give the trees some weight. Is that sort of weather pattern hard to come by? Might be worth a re-shoot if it isn't.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Didn't see that you had added these. What was the deleted one? Where did you shoot these?

A couple from today.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

octane2 posted:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
2.5s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso100

Click the images to view them on a black background so shadow detail is revealed.

H

That's a great shot, worth the set-up/wait.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Went to the beach to try capture a storm, it didnt fully develop but still made for some nice dull depressing shots.

Something different, I rarely use shallow dof in any of my shots, so I am trying to experiment incoporating it into my photos and open up more possibilities.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

octane2 posted:

Cheers for the compliments re: my waterfall image.

Here's a couple more to open my New Zealand, 2010 - Part 1 campaign.

Ohau Falls are found approximately 30 km north of the beautiful seaside township of Kaikoura.

You might think, "another waterfall". But, that's just it -- this place isn't just a placeholder for another waterfall. What makes this place special is the presence of colonies of baby seals -- the pool that has formed under the falls is a nursery and playground for these little critters. They make their way up from the ocean to play away from any natural predators (there are whales off the coast of Kaikoura) whilst mum and dad are out fishing and capturing meals. These beautiful little creatures are inquisitive, curious and just don't sit still. They are happy to come right up to you and give you cute glances which make you want to reach out and touch them.

I made this image under some interesting lighting conditions -- the image was made about an hour and-a-half prior to sunset. The falls and pool are nestled in a rainforest area; once the sun gets on the west of the mountain it gets dark, very quickly. I waded out into the water making sure I wasn't getting in the seals' way or intruding too much, to get a little extra reach in order to frame the scene as I had anticipated. I kept having to dry my circular polarizer as the splashes from the little ones doing their thing kept getting spray on the camera.

RAW blend for water and shadowed regions.

2s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso100

The first rays of dawn begin to ignite Mount Tasman and Mount Cook, approximately 20 km in the distance, whilst the crystal clear steely mirror image is reflected on the calm and tranquil waters of Lake Matheson.

I almost thought that this morning would be a write off as there was an enormous amount of mist and low-lying cloud blocking the view. Just as I thought it was all over, the clouds seemed to disperse right before first light.

This image was made on an incredibly cold morning.

Note the first rays on all the tallest peaks and the waterfall in the distance.

Click the images to view them on a black background so shadow detail is revealed.

H

:drat:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

octane2 posted:

H
The waterfall is a nice exposure, but it would be nice if it had something to do with the seals you mentioned.

The mountain sunrise, though, has all the pieces. Excellent.

fenner posted:

Fantastic.

Whitezombi posted:

Didn't see that you had added these. What was the deleted one? Where did you shoot these?
The deleted one was a crappy shot from Santa Fe; gonna look at it again this week. The other two were up near that Ghost Ranch place, I reckon. I agree that the tree shot is best, but there were fences below I didn't want to cross; I wasn't sure how protective people may have been in the area.

----

So I finally found out, two weeks later than anticipated, that I won a place in a week long access to Valles Caldera the first week of June. I have no clue what I'm doing. My only real plan is to wake up at 4AM every morning to be in place for specific shots every day, and repeat the same thing in the evening. I just ordered a few more batteries and CF cards; anyone have any other advice for this sort of thing?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

So I finally found out, two weeks later than anticipated, that I won a place in a week long access to Valles Caldera the first week of June. I have no clue what I'm doing. My only real plan is to wake up at 4AM every morning to be in place for specific shots every day, and repeat the same thing in the evening. I just ordered a few more batteries and CF cards; anyone have any other advice for this sort of thing?

I hate you. :argh: Congrats! So you are taking me right!?!?

I hope I win the September lottery. Have you ever camped in the Jemez area before?

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 17, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Son, I haven't even been camping since I was 14, and that was in a nice prepared camping area.

I'm going to die.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Son, I haven't even been camping since I was 14, and that was in a nice prepared camping area.

I'm going to die.

Well it sounds like you need a guide and it just so happens I am free that week. lol

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Reichstag posted:

This is fantastic. The lines in this are great.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Reichstag posted:

This is fantastic.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Nice Reichstag, always nice to see something different and unique executed well.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Those are all amazing.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

Those are all amazing.

Thanks!

I just found this awesome tool and thought some of you would be interested. Basically it shows the direction of the sunrise/sunset/moonrise/moonset overlayed on google maps, along with the time. Makes it nice and easy for judging where the light rays are going to hit before you even go somewhere.

http://stephentrainor.com/tools

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Thanks fenner, that's a great tool.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
As the sun relinquishes for another day, it does so with a glorious goodbye. On this particular Saturday afternoon, it left me with some of the most amazing light I have ever witnessed. The heavens were to open above Sydney not 30 minutes after this image was made.

Made off some of the finest coastline Sydney has to offer.

2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso100

Click the image to view it on a black background.

H

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

octane2 posted:

Echoing others, this is a really great image, but please, please, please do not burn blown highlights: it ruins the image. A little trick, especially for reflections, is to copy, invert, paste, and blend in some detail. Also, a bit of vignetting added in your favorite RAW editor and overlayed on a duplicate exposure can sometimes salvage detail without compromising highlights, but keep those whites white.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

octane2 posted:

As the sun relinquishes for another day, it does so with a glorious goodbye. On this particular Saturday afternoon, it left me with some of the most amazing light I have ever witnessed. The heavens were to open above Sydney not 30 minutes after this image was made.

H

Another utterly fantastic photo, Octane2. The cloud that's being illuminated reminds me of a famous painting that I cannot place at the moment and the 2s exposure time adds to effect by making the water look like a painting as well.

Do you have a portfolio or Flickr? The work you've posted here is quite amazing.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Just going through a couple more from a few days ago.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Hey fenner, octane2 is calling you out.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Fenner vs. octane2 vs. Dread Head in breathtaking landscape octagon battle to the death.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

octane2 posted:

H
Son of a bitch, my jaw literally dropped when I scrolled past this. How much postwork do you usually do on your stuff?

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

HPL posted:

Hey fenner, octane2 is calling you out.

I know octane2 in real life and I let him know about this location, hes a worthless photographer who just steals other peoples locations! :angel:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Some of my newer stuff.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Just got back from China and am wondering what to do with these shots from the Great Wall. The weather was really rainy and while some shots have a good atmosphere to them, some are just plain hazy. I'm not really sure what I need to do in post to get rid of the color cast in them.

Momonari kun fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 3, 2010

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

scottch posted:

This is nice, I have always wanted to go to the East Coast of Canada.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
I'm in St. John's, the eastern side of the island. We have some pretty beautiful views, but nothing close to what it's like on the west coast. I'm hoping to make a camping trip this summer or next. I grew up there, so I've got a million ideas already. Cannot wait.

But on the other hand, there are dozens and dozens of great hiking trails within a 30 minute drive of St. John's (some still in the city), so it's great when I unexpectedly get a bit of free time, leave an hour or two before sunset, and have plenty of time to get setup.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Momonari kun posted:

Just got back from China and am wondering what to do with these shots from the Great Wall. The weather was really rainy and while some shots have a good atmosphere to them, some are just plain hazy. I'm not really sure what I need to do in post to get rid of the color cast in them.

The second to last one is the most atmospheric, but the haze is mostly annoying in the other ones. Even if it wasn't rainy the generic air pollution haze can be kinda bad around Beijing and other big cities (actually, right after a big rain is the best time to take photos in those sort of conditions).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Jesus Christ. I may shoot Nikon SLR, but I am definitely getting an S90 next time I need a P&S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Momonari kun posted:

I actually have to deal with this issue a lot in concert photography. The key thing to remember is that fog and haze reduces contrast so you have to try to restore that contrast. I don't know what program you're using for image editing, but in Photoshop Elements, it's not very difficult to do. It can be as simple as using auto contrast, auto color correction then tweaking the levels until you get the desired effect.

Another thing to remember when shooting on a hazy or overcast day is to watch your histogram as conditions like that usually fool the light meter and make the camera underexpose.

Here's a quick mod I made in a minute or two. Not the greatest and there are still a few outstanding issues, but you get the idea:

Only registered members can see post attachments!