Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My hatred of you knows no bounds. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It's not the wheel that pisses me off, it's the carefully organized bins of yarn off to the right.

Ohhhh, you think you're hot poo poo with your yarn all put away nicely in organized bins, eh? WELL YOU KNOW WHAT?

SCREW YOU!

I spent several hours last weekend cleaning up my yarn stash only to give up about 75% of the way thru because it was just annoying me to untangle everything. I pretty much throw all the acrylic stuff into one big bin and leave it. Only the nicer yarn is actually put away carefully.

I had read about it in here so it SHOULDN'T have been a surprise but I went to Beverly's last weekend and for a split second I thought "What, they're carrying Noro now?" It was the lion brand stuff. I'm not really a snob about acrylic- I'm also not spellbound by Noro the way some are- but man, it looks gross and FEELS gross as well. I wonder if it will actually "work" to rip it off so blatantly. The people who are fond of Noro wouldn't really be taken in by a lion brand ripoff, right?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I actually love untangling messes of yarn. It de-stresses me for some reason. I wish people would outsource their stash untangling to me.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Ozma posted:

It's not the wheel that pisses me off, it's the carefully organized bins of yarn off to the right.

Ohhhh, you think you're hot poo poo with your yarn all put away nicely in organized bins, eh? WELL YOU KNOW WHAT?

SCREW YOU!

I spent several hours last weekend cleaning up my yarn stash only to give up about 75% of the way thru because it was just annoying me to untangle everything. I pretty much throw all the acrylic stuff into one big bin and leave it. Only the nicer yarn is actually put away carefully.

Mine went in stages. First it was in the bin with the good yarn. Then it was in one of those underbed storage things, you know, so I wouldn't really have to look at it but by GOD I'm not throwing away YARN! Even if it does look like vomit! Even if it's NOVELTY YARN. Even if I got it for a dollar in a craft store in Canada and already used half of it on a pair of socks I obviously didn't even like enough to not lose somewhere.

Then the good yarn stash just got too loving big so I had to cannibalize the underbed storage for that and of course we can't put them in together because the good yarn looks nice. Ok, bad yarn you get to live in a trashbag on top of the piano. I'M STILL NOT THROWING IT OUT THOUGH. OR USING IT.

It's gone now but you know what? I don't think I threw it out either. I think it's in a drawer. I think I have issues.

PS I want a spinning wheel too. I don't even have time to loving knit and I want to add several days worth of work to the whole process. Brilliant!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Look Under The Rock posted:

I actually love untangling messes of yarn. It de-stresses me for some reason. I wish people would outsource their stash untangling to me.

I enjoy it to a point. When I spent about an hour detangling one tiny bit of cotton yarn, I started to get a loving headache.

And I'm the same way about throwing away bad yarn. I know I have absolutely no use whatsoever for a ton of it but can't throw it away all the same.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Oh God yarn sorting.

Here's how I did it for all. My stash is only "medium sized" (takes up the bottom two rows of a large bookshelf) so it wasn't too painful.

First everything got thrown into a large laundry basket. I sorted it into five smaller cloth boxes (which I keep them in): Felting Wool, Cotton, Acrylic, Special, and GET RID OF.

The get rid of is either sold, donated, or made as part of a yarn-swap.

Speaking of which, would people be interested in a summer-time yarn swap soon? :v:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Definitely interested in a summertime yarn swap! I have got yarn to swap, i tells ya.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

:saddowns:

That's only the good stuff... all the red heart and crap is under the bed. It was all overflowing one basket on that side of the room; there wasn't even space for me, much less a wheel, without organizing it. Between me, husband and the two cats I can guarantee it won't stay that way long.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Look Under The Rock posted:

I've got good news for you!

Join this group and post your location so local knitters with tangles can contact you.

I just found out that Sweet Georgia has added a Yarn of the Month Club in addition to their Fiber of the Month club. I'm not a spinner but I adore her yarn and colors so I'm tempted to drop the cash but I'm always hesitant to spend money on mystery items. $65 for 3 skeins of 4 oz yarn in an exclusive colorway...should I risk it?

I finished sock #3 (the first half in a pair for my boyfriend). It definitely came out better than my first pair but I think they're still a bit tight (they fit me pretty well but my boyfriend swears he loves the fit). I tried doing the ribbing on 2.0 mm needles and switching to 2.25 for the rest but I think next time I freeform a sock I'll knit it all on the same size needles and just do a round of increases after the ribbing.

(my boyfriend's foot, not my, for the record).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
loving stash, man.

I try to keep mine respectable -- I don't usually buy yarn without knowing exactly why, exactly what project it's for. The issue is that I'm recently out of college so I'm moving. Smaller apartment? Better put the waiting yarn in storage. Then I finish my current project and oh poo poo, yarn's in storage, what am I going to knit with now? Better get some more yarn! Then it's "oh poo poo, this is a good sale and it'll make a really good sweater" and "good price and my mom says she loves that mitten pattern" and now I'm basically at the point where I don't need to buy any new yarn for about three years.

I wish I had the time to actually knit any of it. I just like to pretend I'm responsible because it's all earmarked for specific projects. Really, not so responsible.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Anne Whateley posted:

loving stash, man.

I try to keep mine respectable -- I don't usually buy yarn without knowing exactly why, exactly what project it's for. The issue is that I'm recently out of college so I'm moving. Smaller apartment? Better put the waiting yarn in storage. Then I finish my current project and oh poo poo, yarn's in storage, what am I going to knit with now? Better get some more yarn! Then it's "oh poo poo, this is a good sale and it'll make a really good sweater" and "good price and my mom says she loves that mitten pattern" and now I'm basically at the point where I don't need to buy any new yarn for about three years.

I wish I had the time to actually knit any of it. I just like to pretend I'm responsible because it's all earmarked for specific projects. Really, not so responsible.
I am exactly the same with mine. Every skein in my stash is earmarked for a project, even though my stash space is overflowing. I have a couple of dozen projects that I'll be starting "eventually."

And on an unrelated note...

The good news: I finished the very harlot poncho. The yarn is a lovely green Misti Alpaca, butter soft and very, very warm.

The bad news: I do not look good in ponchos. At all. This thing makes me look like a watermelon with legs. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Izzy posted:

The bad news: I do not look good in ponchos. At all. This thing makes me look like a watermelon with legs. :smith:

That was the downfall of knitted ponchos. They were everywhere like six-seven years ago everyone made one and realized they looked terrible in it.

I made a pink one out of homespun. :gonk:

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
My yarn stash is fairly organised since ive been buying yarn by lots of ten in sealed bags recently however if one of those bags were opened or it was one of my random yarn buys...

My cat LOVES dragging balls of yarn around the house which unravels them, tangles them and makes me cry. She's even gotten up on the table and dragged things while they're on the needles and completly wrecked it :suicide:
She can get into ANYWHERE!!! She's like a yarn ninja and sadly i've been known to leave a dummy ball out if im working on a complicated project :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

That was the downfall of knitted ponchos. They were everywhere like six-seven years ago everyone made one and realized they looked terrible in it.

I made a pink one out of homespun. :gonk:

Mine was a lovely dark blue something plus mohair or angora perhaps. I shed more than three cats in that thing.

Still in my closet because of course I'm not going to throw away something hand knit! No matter how much it makes me look like a huge pile of rear end. A huge pile of shedding rear end.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
scarfery darfery doo

I actually finished this one in April but only just now got it off my camera.

Finished this one about ten minutes ago :woop:

And I started this one last night! Two balls of Taiyo, colors 3 and 5. Making stripey things with Noro is like crack, I swear.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I was trying to do this shawl: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/growing-leaves-shawl and i'm on my third repeat of the third chart and I managed to gently caress up on the one row I never counted. Now I have to rip back 8ish rows. FML.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
So I decided that the Greek Key Lace Scarf is not working out - I won't have enough yarn and the needles are so small it was hard to do a lot of the stitches. Plus, even though I put in a life line, I had to frog the whole thing twice because the stitches got so tight on the life line that I couldn't pick them back up. But I really want to use up this Patons Silk Bamboo I have so I was looking through the projects people have used it for on Ravelry and found this: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Robinnoel/basic-bra.
Bask in the horror.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

ElScorcho posted:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Robinnoel/basic-bra.
Bask in the horror.

quote:

How much?
2 skeins = 478.0 yards (437.1m)

Bullshit

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
there....is nothing alright about that

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Oh, it gets worse.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Robinnoel/condom-amulet-bra

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Robinnoel/grr-string

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Horror-fest aside I am currently addicted to the short, easy projects that are dishcloths. If anyone has any they'd like to recommend or share I'd love to see them - personally I'd prefer that they be one piece construction, because the last one I made with 6 separate wedges was such a pain in the rear end to stitch together for a dang washcloth. :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Things I will never understand: bras, dishcloths, socks.

Although I've got to admit, one of the main reasons I'd like to be smaller -- it would take so much less time, effort, and material to make clothes. Yes, this is a dumb as hell reason.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I had free balls of worsted cotton and I move in a week so I can only work on small projects. Seemed like a fine idea to me!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

Things I will never understand: bras, dishcloths, socks.

Although I've got to admit, one of the main reasons I'd like to be smaller -- it would take so much less time, effort, and material to make clothes. Yes, this is a dumb as hell reason.

You and me both, brother/sister :hf:

Every time I see someone knit dishcloths or socks (or bras :gonk:) I can't help but hear my father's voice in the back of my head pointing out I can get like a few dozen socks/dishcloths really drat cheap.

Then again I tend to wear boots all of the time so there go nice socks, and I'm rather cruel to dishcloths.

...God drat IT why do only the fatest of the fat chicks knit bras on ravelry? You of all people need good support! :cry:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I had free balls of worsted cotton and I move in a week so I can only work on small projects. Seemed like a fine idea to me!
I'm not judging you -- there are five million people knitting socks; if I went around judging them all I'd never be able to do anything else -- I just don't get it myself. If dishcloths are your thing, have a ball! People are doubtless baffled by my thing for gloves.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I like socks cause they're not that much of a commitment (like knitting a king sized afgan or something). I do get the "you know you could buy those right" thing, but hand knit socks are actually much nicer to wear.

Well, I can feel a difference, anyway.

For what it's worth, I mostly use the hand knit socks for lounging around the house and sleeping, not wearing to work. I don't wear anything nice to work because my job is kinda filthy anyway.

Those panties are a Lovecraftian horror, though. Jesus Christ.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I like knitting socks with really nice colorful yarn and pairing them with flats so everyone can see my handywork! but then I also wear a lot of bright colors and manage to be the The Weird Kid at my film school, so there you go...

(i honestly don't know how it happened, i didn't think i was that weird...)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I don't make dishcloths but I do make plenty of potholders because we're constantly misplacing them.

I make washcloths on occasion too because I like to have seed stitch washcloths that are nubbly enough to scrub well but airy so I can steam my face a bit with them and still breathe at the same time.

I will never, ever knit underwear or bras. The very notion of having even good yarn on my privates gives me the creeps.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

I gagged. I actually gagged.

I have never had such a strong reaction to a knitting pattern, which is saying something when you consider my mother's vast collection of 80s horrors.

As for knitting and privates... I have a friend who likes to get kinky with a cat o' 9 tails she knitted from mohair. Lord knows what came over her when she thought that one up, but she also crocheted tit-tassels so it's pretty obvious that the girl aint right.

In other new, heat wave means it's too hot to knit. Suggestions? I'm making a wool sweater :gonk:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

In other new, heat wave means it's too hot to knit. Suggestions? I'm making a wool sweater :gonk:

I would put the wool sweater down for a bit. :gonk:

Summer for me means knitting Christmas presents (and helping my Mom shop for them, I guess it runs in the family). They're always very small, and are easy to take along on any trips/vacations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

madlilnerd posted:

I gagged. I actually gagged.

I have never had such a strong reaction to a knitting pattern, which is saying something when you consider my mother's vast collection of 80s horrors.

As for knitting and privates... I have a friend who likes to get kinky with a cat o' 9 tails she knitted from mohair. Lord knows what came over her when she thought that one up, but she also crocheted tit-tassels so it's pretty obvious that the girl aint right.

You could make a washcloth. :downs: My current project is hoping that the rest of this ball of Sugar n' Creme lasts long enough to finish my Princess Peach washcloth.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
...sweet loving Jesus. It's like she doesn't know what the purpose of a bra is. :gonk:

I have to admit that I actually considered knitting my own bras at one point, simply because finding ones that fit me properly is difficult at best. Didn't take long to find out it wasn't even slightly practical though.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

I opened this window in a new tab, forgot about it, and just came back to it 2 hours later. Bad surprise. :(

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

You could make a washcloth. :downs: My current project is hoping that the rest of this ball of Sugar n' Creme lasts long enough to finish my Princess Peach washcloth.

Ooooh I have about 5 balls of Peaches n' Creme in an offensive eye raping rainbow shade they like to call "Fiesta", I believe. It might be time to make a million wash cloths.

Or knit the world's ugliest cotton tank top.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I would put the wool sweater down for a bit. :gonk:

Summer for me means knitting Christmas presents (and helping my Mom shop for them, I guess it runs in the family). They're always very small, and are easy to take along on any trips/vacations.

It's a sweater I'm making for my boyfriend, and it's too small for him anyway (he's losing weight so fingers crossed will fit into it when it's finished. I know that sounds really mean but I can't afford to make clothes that take a million balls of wool and all he's got to get down to is a 40inch chest which is pretty darn reasonable). I tried knitting on the roadtrip we took down route 101, but twisty roads and trying to count stitches made me feel more than a bit queasy. Turns out I can do anything in a car, including beating the computer at Peggle, apart from knitting which makes me want to puke. :( I knew we should have taken the train!

Also, Sex Hobbit, I love that cabled scarf you made. Is it the Irish Hiking Scarf?

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I need an experienced eye to take a glance over my knitting. I'm trying to do this pattern:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tempest

At the moment I'm looking at my lace cuff and then the cuff in the pictures and feeling so inadequate. (Which is normal I guess!) Does lace tend to sort itself out a bit with blocking? At the moment it looks like something a spider spun when drunk!

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I'm really enjoying making this though! It's the first time I've knitted anything this big or ambitious. It'll be nice when autumn/winter comes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I can't see pictures on my phone that well, but chances are you're good -- blocking is magic! Go on Ravelry and look up the before & after blocking thread. It's unreal.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Serenity Dove posted:

I need an experienced eye to take a glance over my knitting. I'm trying to do this pattern:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tempest

At the moment I'm looking at my lace cuff and then the cuff in the pictures and feeling so inadequate. (Which is normal I guess!) Does lace tend to sort itself out a bit with blocking? At the moment it looks like something a spider spun when drunk!

I'm really enjoying making this though! It's the first time I've knitted anything this big or ambitious. It'll be nice when autumn/winter comes.

Lace looks COMPLETELY different after blocking. It totally opens up and looks "right". If it looked right while you were doing it you'd be magic or something.

Looks fine to me. :)

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Thank you very much guys! I'll take a look on Ravelry and see what the before and after's are like. The blend of wool I'm using is 10% wool, 10% mohair and 80% acrylic. What is normally the best way that you guys have found blocking?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

madlilnerd posted:

Ooooh I have about 5 balls of Peaches n' Creme in an offensive eye raping rainbow shade they like to call "Fiesta", I believe. It might be time to make a million wash cloths.

Or knit the world's ugliest cotton tank top.

I had to look up that colorway because my JoAnn did not have it and hot drat I would never make a wearable garment out of that. However, I would make as many washcloths as it would let me. How did you even get a hold of that stuff? :psyduck:

There's also knit Swiffer covers around (I can link one or two I found if you want) if you use one of those. Kind of grody to wash but more eco friendly? :downs: It's one of the things I planned on making soon since I have a Swiffer and some laminate tile / hardwood flooring.

Five balls of it no less! :gonk:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

I had to look up that colorway because my JoAnn did not have it and hot drat I would never make a wearable garment out of that. However, I would make as many washcloths as it would let me. How did you even get a hold of that stuff? :psyduck:

Sweet Jesus you weren't kidding! :psyduck: It's like a clown threw up!