Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dubs posted:

I thought it looked like the tyre is going to hit the bottom of the forks.

Ahh, yeah, my RMZ front end looks like it won't clear too. I had to shave down the rock guards because otherwise they'd hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I might be throwing a GSXR-1100 intake cam in my Bandit this weekend (time allowing). Heres to hoping I dont put it in wrong and bend all my intake valves :downsbravo:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

I might be throwing a GSXR-1100 intake cam in my Bandit this weekend (time allowing). Heres to hoping I dont put it in wrong and bend all my intake valves :downsbravo:

I suppose a good tip is to spin the crank carefully by hand a few times before firing up and launching hard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

I suppose a good tip is to spin the crank carefully by hand a few times before firing up and launching hard.

Yup. I double check most things when I work on bikes, but I triple check cam timing.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

My roommate picked up a nice used GS500E. Great bike, perfect for newbies. Except it has one problem. The front suspension is so incredibly stiff and bouncy, it's like a loving pogo stick. I put 20 miles on it, and any series of rough pavement makes you feel like you're going to be tossed up in the air. I own a 599 with stock suspension and an 01 GSXR with a fully tricked out racing setup, and neither of them are anywhere close to this stuff.

The forks are only adjustable for preload. I'm no suspension guru, but my best guesstimate is that someone put much heavier fork oil in this. Could I be right? What's the best way to find out what's wrong, and what's the best way to set it up for it's new rider?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pagan posted:

My roommate picked up a nice used GS500E. Great bike, perfect for newbies. Except it has one problem. The front suspension is so incredibly stiff and bouncy, it's like a loving pogo stick. I put 20 miles on it, and any series of rough pavement makes you feel like you're going to be tossed up in the air. I own a 599 with stock suspension and an 01 GSXR with a fully tricked out racing setup, and neither of them are anywhere close to this stuff.

The forks are only adjustable for preload. I'm no suspension guru, but my best guesstimate is that someone put much heavier fork oil in this. Could I be right? What's the best way to find out what's wrong, and what's the best way to set it up for it's new rider?

Not heavier fork oil, heavier springs and lighter (or stock) fork oil. Heavier fork oil wouldn't let it rebound like crazy. I'd say you're probably going to need to get the correct springs for it, and when you replace the fork springs, I'd go back to the stock fork oil, or see what a company like racetech recommends. If it's stiff as poo poo, the springs are definitely not stock as you could put 30w oil in the front and it'd still dive like a mofo.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Z3n posted:

Not heavier fork oil, heavier springs and lighter (or stock) fork oil. Heavier fork oil wouldn't let it rebound like crazy. I'd say you're probably going to need to get the correct springs for it, and when you replace the fork springs, I'd go back to the stock fork oil, or see what a company like racetech recommends. If it's stiff as poo poo, the springs are definitely not stock as you could put 30w oil in the front and it'd still dive like a mofo.

Alright, now I know what to look into. I'm just shocked at how BAD the suspension is. The bike has some minor upgrades; a new exhaust, better grips and levers, and all of it is pretty nicely done without being over the top. Except the forks; someone had no loving idea what they were doing.

Edit : Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The speedo is off, by about 15%. I followed my buddy home, and wondered why the hell he was going so slow; 60 to 65 the whole way. He said the speedo read 70 to 75 the entire time. However, the speedometer / odometer cable goes to the front wheel hub, so it's not like an aftermarket sprocket would make a difference. Any ideas? Can a speedometer be adjusted?

Pagan fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 21, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pagan posted:

Alright, now I know what to look into. I'm just shocked at how BAD the suspension is. The bike has some minor upgrades; a new exhaust, better grips and levers, and all of it is pretty nicely done without being over the top. Except the forks; someone had no loving idea what they were doing.

Edit : Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The speedo is off, by about 15%. I followed my buddy home, and wondered why the hell he was going so slow; 60 to 65 the whole way. He said the speedo read 70 to 75 the entire time. However, the speedometer / odometer cable goes to the front wheel hub, so it's not like an aftermarket sprocket would make a difference. Any ideas? Can a speedometer be adjusted?

Could also be that they had stiffer springs for their weight, with thicker fork oil, and it hasn't been changed in forever and has gotten all broken down and watery, reducing the damping.

Speedo being off is pretty standard...could be made worse if it's running a smaller profile front tire. If someone put a 110/60 on there it'll be off.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Z3n posted:

Could also be that they had stiffer springs for their weight, with thicker fork oil, and it hasn't been changed in forever and has gotten all broken down and watery, reducing the damping.

Speedo being off is pretty standard...could be made worse if it's running a smaller profile front tire. If someone put a 110/60 on there it'll be off.

Haha, speedometer being off is par for the coarse. I got me machine serviced back last year - rode back to my apartment with my buddy whom gave me a ride following me . I thought I was stretching the legs a bit and did indicated 80 most of the way back- we got to my place and I was informed I was actually kicking along around 100. OOPS.

Be glad yours reads high and not low.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Another question that's popped up. How do you adjust your mirrors? In a car, even a big truck or van, I can get my mirrors adjusted to where I feel comfortable that I can see everything going on around me. But not on my bike. If I have them adjusted so I can see cars to the side, then I can't see behind me and get surprised by cars overtaking. Any tips?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pagan posted:

Another question that's popped up. How do you adjust your mirrors? In a car, even a big truck or van, I can get my mirrors adjusted to where I feel comfortable that I can see everything going on around me. But not on my bike. If I have them adjusted so I can see cars to the side, then I can't see behind me and get surprised by cars overtaking. Any tips?
I usually have them so I can see behind me, shoulder/arms just out of sight in the mirror. To the side you can flick your eyes or turn your head.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Chris Knight posted:

I usually have them so I can see behind me, shoulder/arms just out of sight in the mirror. To the side you can flick your eyes or turn your head.

This. Sit in a normal riding position, and adjust them out until your shoulder disappears. Also make sure that they aren't pointed up too much - you don't care about low flying planes. You should still be able to see behind you (unless you have a Ducati or something with useless mirrors).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mine are a PITA to adjust. They don't rotate a lot on the stalk, so if the mirror doesn't go out too far, I have to unscrew the stalk and turn it. However, if I turn it too far, the mirror sees nothing but sky.

The best I've gotten is seeing behind me with the right mirror and a bit to the side with the left. I think it works okay as a) that's how I use the mirrors in my car (rear view mirror on my right, left side mirror on my left) and b) there's usually no one on my right side because I stay in the right lane unless passing.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Retard question ahoy.

I'm selling my Ninja 250, I've got all my title and registration paperwork sorted. I just have a question on the bill of sale. Is there a template somewhere I should use or just type one up?

Anything else I should take note of? I'm new at selling things.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Retard question ahoy.

I'm selling my Ninja 250, I've got all my title and registration paperwork sorted. I just have a question on the bill of sale. Is there a template somewhere I should use or just type one up?

check the website of your state's dmv

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Slow is Fast posted:

Retard question ahoy.

Just write out

I, (name) sold (yyyy) Ninja VIN # (nnnnnnnnnnn) to (buyer name) on (dd/dd/dd) for ($$$$).

Have both parties sign it. Keep a copy for yourself. If you're feeling really paranoid, copy the buyer's divers license, but I've never done that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also, check plate regulations in your state. Back home in Alaska, when you sell a vehicle, there's a tab you tear off the title which you and the buyer sign, which basically transfers the plate to their name instantly, in case they wreck the bike or something. Obviously, you give them the plate with the bike.

In Iowa and Nebraska, however, you keep the plate, and the buyer has 90 days to ride without any sort of plate at all, provided they carry the title and bill of sale on their person while riding.

Coming from Alaska's method and buying a bike down here was a little nerve-racking, since I had to drive over a hundred miles to get the bike home, and every time I saw a cop I was absolutely sure I was going to get pulled over and cited for no plates or something. But yeah, it's a state-by-state thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Retard question ahoy.

Where are you located? I would toss in a clause about how the bike is sold as is, with no warranty or anything of the sort.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Where are you located? I would toss in a clause about how the bike is sold as is, with no warranty or anything of the sort.

Absolutely this. The phrase "as-is condition" is standard.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I got my Shadow Spirit 750, my first ever bike, about a week ago. It was, of course, a lot bigger than what we used in the MSF course, and I had to pluck up a lot of courage to ride it. But I did, every day it wasn't raining, since I got it, just going up and down my street and maybe a few other residential streets nearby in the late evening when traffic was lowest. Today I had to get it inspected, and take it out on a "real road" to get to the shop, which really terrified me. All this time I've been feeling like I was 16 and learning to drive a car all over again emotionally; I hate left turns! I hate other cars! Why would anyone ever want to go faster than 20 mph??

Well I did it, and made it back, with no problems at all. I started from stops, made left and right turns at speed, and dealt with traffic (including a lady who slammed on her brakes all the sudden to make an emergency turn into Wendy's right in front of me) and crappy road conditions. On my way back home another rider gave me the wave, and I was feeling so good about myself that I made 3 more loops around the neighborhood in moderate traffic before I brought it in.

My confidence has grown a lot in a week, and while I know I have a lot more to go in terms of skill, maybe I'll be accomplishing my ultimate goal of taking the highways and making my bike my daily commuter sooner than I thought.

Just wanted to share that with you guys as a novice rider!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nice one!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Z3n posted:

Maine.

Yeah, I want to put as is no warranty just to make sure. The bike is a 1988 model, so even though I've rebuilt the carbs and done a ton of work, I still want to make sure it's not my problem after I've sold it.

Thanks for the info guys.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

The Bramble posted:

I got my Shadow Spirit 750, my first ever bike, about a week ago. It was, of course, a lot bigger than what we used in the MSF course, and I had to pluck up a lot of courage to ride it. But I did, every day it wasn't raining, since I got it, just going up and down my street and maybe a few other residential streets nearby in the late evening when traffic was lowest. Today I had to get it inspected, and take it out on a "real road" to get to the shop, which really terrified me. All this time I've been feeling like I was 16 and learning to drive a car all over again emotionally; I hate left turns! I hate other cars! Why would anyone ever want to go faster than 20 mph??

Well I did it, and made it back, with no problems at all. I started from stops, made left and right turns at speed, and dealt with traffic (including a lady who slammed on her brakes all the sudden to make an emergency turn into Wendy's right in front of me) and crappy road conditions. On my way back home another rider gave me the wave, and I was feeling so good about myself that I made 3 more loops around the neighborhood in moderate traffic before I brought it in.

My confidence has grown a lot in a week, and while I know I have a lot more to go in terms of skill, maybe I'll be accomplishing my ultimate goal of taking the highways and making my bike my daily commuter sooner than I thought.

Just wanted to share that with you guys as a novice rider!

Congrats! my first ever bike was a Shadow 750. I had a lot of fun on that. One thing I remember, and it still makes me smile, is how full throttle on that bike seemed so OMFG fast. Like it was a terrifying thrill to crack it open all the way. After a while, I got used to it. Then I bought my 599, and it was that HOLY poo poo feeling all over again when I gave it full throttle. Got used to it; then bought a track only, tricked out GSXR 600. I'm still not used to that one.

I guess my point is, the fun and excitement never stops. As you get better at one set of skills, new sets open up for you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I found this Bill of Sale for my folks when they sold their car. Some of the stuff isn't appropriate for bikes, but it seems pretty comprehensive.

http://www.hooverwebdesign.com/free-printables/free_motor_vehicle_bill_of_sale_template_hoover_web_design.pdf

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Some Googling and asking around at work seems like I should just ignore my speedometer being high. Is there really no solution? I just don't like not being able to glance down and monitor my speed without having to think about it. It looks like the speedo measures off the front wheel so, like someone else said maybe the front wheel is out of spec?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

How reliable are late 90's BMW F650s? I'm finding some at surprisingly affordable prices.

Almost 50k miles:
http://peoria.craigslist.org/mcy/1696134279.html
Under 10k miles:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/1755248038.html

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
BMWs are p reliable

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Some Googling and asking around at work seems like I should just ignore my speedometer being high. Is there really no solution? I just don't like not being able to glance down and monitor my speed without having to think about it. It looks like the speedo measures off the front wheel so, like someone else said maybe the front wheel is out of spec?

Every motorcycle I've ever driven has read high. Always 10% Slap on a gps or bicycle cpmputer if you really want to know your true speed

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Elendil004 posted:

Unless you have the wrong size tire on or something, I can't see how it could be "out of spec". How much higher does it read? That's very normal. Mine reads 3mph higher, so it's not all that bad, but sometimes if traffic is really moving fast I have to adjust. Otherwise, it's just a 3mph buffer I have when possibly getting a ticket.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Elendil004 posted:

Depends on local laws - some countries require speedos to be accurate within a given range of error.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I was reading 70-75 and the car trailing me was saying 60-65, so about 10-15%.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Elendil004 posted:

I was reading 70-75 and the car trailing me was saying 60-65, so about 10-15%.

Seems like a bit much. Do you have any of those radar speed signs around? I used one of those to tell me my difference (and my GPS later confirmed it).

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
So today I saw something interesting during my ride. There was a red convertible on the other side of the highway from me that was on fire. It wasn't just smoking either, oh no. There were flames shooting out of it at least 5 feet high. I didn't realize that happened in real life, it looked like something out of a movie.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Doctor Zero posted:

Seems like a bit much. Do you have any of those radar speed signs around? I used one of those to tell me my difference (and my GPS later confirmed it).

I think I'm going to kill two birds with one stone. I want a dash mounted GPS anyways so I'll just get one.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
https://www.gpscity.com

Got all three bikes mounted up thanks to them. I love ram mounts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did 130 miles today on the RV90. My rear end hurts, I reek like two stroke, and I never did more than 50mph through the whole thing, but drat if I didn't have fun!

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Well I just got back from working a two day event, a Hare Scrambles and the Enduro my friend was running. We had a little over 40 riders there and a few guys ran it with dualsports. I even got to see one of those crazy backwards European motors that Yamaha copied.

My friend being occupied with running a race all day left his 200EXC available for quite a while, makes me want to get my ATK rebuilt.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Just some observations.

I've done a fair amount of riding now with noise isolating ear buds and I can't get over what a difference they make for me. I never realized in these last six years of riding that noise = higher anxiety for me. With all that crap blocked out and serene music playing I find my rides actually calming me down. Somehow the wife's play list was selected and I was listening to mostly Dido. I was actually disappointed when it switched to something else.

Yesterday I was flying down the interstate doing 85 mph and I started messing with the volume on my iPhone through my jacket... this is a big deal for me. I mean, I'm no stranger to the interstate but being so comfortable at that speed and allow myself to take a hand off of the handlebars to fiddle with anything is like WOW.

I really wish I had not turned my nose up at sport bikes for all these years. I had no idea that they could be as comfortable, fun, and relaxing as a cruiser.

I'm nervous about the ride from Detroit to Nashville. I put about 2 hours in the saddle yesterday and I'm a little stiff today. WTF am I going to feel like after a full day in the crotch rocket position?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Crayvex posted:

I'm nervous about the ride from Detroit to Nashville. I put about 2 hours in the saddle yesterday and I'm a little stiff today. WTF am I going to feel like after a full day in the crotch rocket position?

Short stretch breaks help A LOT. I had a day where I drove 400 miles round trip; on the way there, I didn't take a single break, and I felt like exhausted crap when I got there. However, on the way back, I'd stop every 40-60 miles just to walk around a bit, grab a drink, etc.

Just like with noise-isolation at speed, it completely removed any physical exhaustion and by the time I got back, I was still fresh and up for more riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Crayvex posted:

I've done a fair amount of riding now with noise isolating ear buds and I can't get over what a difference they make for me. I never realized in these last six years of riding that noise = higher anxiety for me. With all that crap blocked out and serene music playing I find my rides actually calming me down.
I found the same thing when I hooked up my iPhone and used some in-ear headphones. Much, MUCH calmer.

quote:

WTF am I going to feel like after a full day in the crotch rocket position?
Prediction: You'll be juuuust fiiiine - so long as you don't mind sleeping on your side, pillows piled up between your knees and arms and under your head, locked in a full on tuck position.
It'll definitely be the FASTEST sleep you've ever had. =)

I plan on taking lots of short breaks on the ride back from Fort Worth this weekend. Leave it to me to have my first post-MSF ride be 790 miles. On a holiday weekend, no less.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 24, 2010