Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I'm guessing he's talking about cloak and run silent. I got both, and I used them together quite a few times. If you have them upgraded to the max, it doesn't waste energy too fast.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Run Silent is crap because you can just pick the speed aug and walk. Alternately distract things by shooting the wall in front of them with the crossbow.

Anyway, I've cleared this game like 3 times and I can't loving figure it out: Where is the code to the room underneith the police station in Hong Kong?

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

DVD Drive posted:

Do you mean Cloak and Radar Transparency? Aren't they mutually exclusive?

Yes, but only on a per-can basis. Skip the ballistic/EMP protection early in the game, install your choice from the VersaLife labs, then install the other after a visit to a hard-to-reach location on the superfreighter.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Frankosity posted:

I'm doing a stealth run and I was curious as to whether it's worth getting both of the subdermal stealth augmentations. They're pretty prohibitive in energy cost but I can imagine having both of them would let you ghost pretty well through tight spots.

You don't need them, really. I only used cloak like 5 times in my entire stealth game. Radar Transparency is just as useless. Just shoot out cameras and poo poo with your silenced sniper/hack computers. And the few bots you can't avoid love to snack on some EMP nades.

e: on the other hand, the other option (ballistic/energy protection) is quite useless in a stealth run, so go for the double cloak!

OneEightHundred posted:

Run Silent is crap because you can just pick the speed aug and walk. Alternately distract things by shooting the wall in front of them with the crossbow.

Anyway, I've cleared this game like 3 times and I can't loving figure it out: Where is the code to the room underneith the police station in Hong Kong?

IIRC, Maggie Chow gives it to you when you accept her quest to find out about the corrupt policemen.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 22, 2010

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I never understood why Maggie sends us there when the only info we find is their suspicions of Maggie's involvement in the red arrow assassination and her possible association with versalife.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

I am Zim posted:

I never understood why Maggie sends us there when the only info we find is their suspicions of Maggie's involvement in the red arrow assassination and her possible association with versalife.

1. Breaking into the police station is a pretty surefire way to get shot at. Being an enemy of the Hong Kong police would be inconvenient for JC.

2. Gives her time to get out of town.

What I don't get is why she tries to attack you later on completely alone when her previous action here shows that she's smart enough not to try and take on JC alone. It felt kind of like an excuse to let the player kill her for stabbing them in the back like that without paying enough attention to proper characterization.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 22, 2010

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
She's advising you to go break into a police station... I doubt she planned on ever seeing you again.

edit: beaten

jonjonaug posted:

2. Gives her time to get out of town.
The time it takes you to walk from her front hall to the living room is all the time Maggie Chow needs to activate her super go-go boots and book it back to the VersaLife labs. Remember, this is a woman who can leap from her penthouse windows and land perfectly fine on the streets below.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 22, 2010

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jonjonaug posted:

1. Breaking into the police station is a pretty surefire way to get shot at. Being an enemy of the Hong Kong police would be inconvenient for JC.

The great thing about that is that 'inconvenience' is really all the Hong Kong police is to JC Denton.

Anyway, I'm doing a low-tech run, and it's surprisingly easy. Crowbar/Sword/Dragon's Tooth in combination with Zyme and a Gas Grenade solves pretty much any situation with only minor damage (to JC).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

zombieman posted:

"You have severed the thread of prophecy."
"What a shame."

Okay this wins out of all the Morrowind jokes.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been screwing around with DX (for Steam) + Biomod + the DirectX 10 renderer on Windows 7, and I can't get the resolution to work right. Any resolution below 1680x1050 seems to run ok, but when I bump it up to my screen's size of 1680, it renders everything in 640x480, I think. I've edited the .ini, used the dxfix util, nothing. Help?

Anyone had a similar problem? I can't seem to find stuff online.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

John Dough posted:

Zyme
Wait Zyme's actually good for something? I thought all it did was make you super-drunk?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

OneEightHundred posted:

Wait Zyme's actually good for something? I thought all it did was make you super-drunk?

In Shifter, zyme gives you 10 or so seconds of bullet time before the drunkvision kicks in.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been screwing around with DX (for Steam) + Biomod + the DirectX 10 renderer on Windows 7, and I can't get the resolution to work right. Any resolution below 1680x1050 seems to run ok, but when I bump it up to my screen's size of 1680, it renders everything in 640x480, I think. I've edited the .ini, used the dxfix util, nothing. Help?
At resolutions past 1240x1024 Deus Ex renders the HUD elements at 2x size to scale with the higher resolutions. There's a thing on the OTP website to make the game not scale the hud, but at 1680x1050 this may make it look ultra tiny and difficult to read.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CaptainWinky posted:

In Shifter, zyme gives you 10 or so seconds of bullet time before the drunkvision kicks in.

When that happens I always huddle in a corner until it's over. After clearing the MJ12 barracks in the helicopter base in Hong Kong I had JC shower until the effect wore off. I like to realistically portray junkie JC for some reason.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 19, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DVD Drive posted:

Oh, I had always assumed you could only install each can type once.

Chest is the only exception because there are two slots.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

John Dough posted:

When that happens I always huddle in a corner until it's over. After clearing the MJ12 barracks in the helicopter base in Hong Kong I had JC shower until the effect wore off. I like to realistically portray junkie JC for some reason.

Imagine a "Functional Alcoholic JC" mod. Start JC at the Liberty Island dock as usual, then have him gradually gain the drunk effect and the only way to get rid of it is to find more booze. Most maps have booze scattered around but I'm sure JC would often have to grab all the bottles lying around a bar and stockpile them for the next map.

JC DENTON
My liver is augmented.

CaptainWinky fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 23, 2010

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I want that mod so badly now :(

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

CaptainWinky posted:

Imagine a "Functional Alcoholic JC" mod. Start JC at the Liberty Island dock as usual, then have him gradually gain the drunk effect and the only way to get rid of it is to find more booze. Most maps have booze scattered around but I'm sure JC would often have to grab all the bottles lying around a bar and stockpile them for the next map.

JC DENTON
My liver is augmented.

It would give me a use for the pile of forties I carried with me from Hell's Kitchen to the end.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Is it ever worth installing the Aqualung/Environmental protection augs?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
How could you not want Aqualung? Thing of all the swimming you do in Deus Ex.

Oh.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

redleader posted:

I gather that if you have Shifter, Aqualung causes your bio-energy to recharge while you're underwater. Which is pretty sweet.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Chest is the only exception because there are two slots.

There are two subdermal and three torso slots. If you keep a slot free until you find a second unit of the same canister, you can install the second augmentation it containts.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Just started replaying it and Liberty Island is so great. Incredible how, once you know what you are doing, this level is so much fun. Gotta love taking that TNT crate at the docks (the one with the informant), jumping up on the container pile and tossing it at the the two guys standing guard there.

Should I go augmenting the 10mm pistol or the silenced one? Also, what about accidentally losing your customized pistol, how does that happens?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

VisAbsoluta posted:

Just started replaying it and Liberty Island is so great. Incredible how, once you know what you are doing, this level is so much fun. Gotta love taking that TNT crate at the docks (the one with the informant), jumping up on the container pile and tossing it at the the two guys standing guard there.

Should I go augmenting the 10mm pistol or the silenced one? Also, what about accidentally losing your customized pistol, how does that happens?

As long as you never drop them, the only time your modified weapons could be accidentally lost is after escaping the MJ12 prison. Dump any new weapons you find before picking up your old ones from the armory. If you hang on to the pistol you stole from the prison guard, for instance, and you pick up your modified pistol it will be destroyed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

OneEightHundred posted:

Also enemies don't have time to react to you if you run up with the speed aug and hit them with the Dragon's Tooth from behind.

*clip clop*

"What was-"

*clip clop slash*

"ARGH!"

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

BattleMaster posted:

As long as you never drop them, the only time your modified weapons could be accidentally lost is after escaping the MJ12 prison. Dump any new weapons you find before picking up your old ones from the armory. If you hang on to the pistol you stole from the prison guard, for instance, and you pick up your modified pistol it will be destroyed.

Also don't give it to daddy Renton to shoot JoJo with.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

The Rat posted:

Or Gunther.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BattleMaster posted:

There are two subdermal and three torso slots. If you keep a slot free until you find a second unit of the same canister, you can install the second augmentation it containts.

I was never properly trained in its operation.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

The Rat posted:

Sometime I've got to give that guy a flamethrower.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Should I go augmenting the 10mm pistol or the silenced one?

stealth pistol has a dramatically larger clip, rate of fire and much lower recoil, but much less base damage and slightly less base accuracy. You can still kill enemies with headshots if you're at Advanced skill with the stealth pistol, so I'd say if you're going for a pistol-centric run and you want to be stealthy it's definitely worth it. If you couldn't care less about keeping quiet just amp up the Pistol, or if you're playing with Shifter keep them until you get your hands on the Magnum, which is even more absurdly powerful.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Rat posted:

K8.0 posted:

Or Gunther.

Oh yeah, the best way to get around that is to keep a combat knife in your inventory and drop all weapons except for those before talking to them.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Frankosity posted:

stealth pistol has a dramatically larger clip, rate of fire and much lower recoil, but much less base damage and slightly less base accuracy. You can still kill enemies with headshots if you're at Advanced skill with the stealth pistol, so I'd say if you're going for a pistol-centric run and you want to be stealthy it's definitely worth it. If you couldn't care less about keeping quiet just amp up the Pistol, or if you're playing with Shifter keep them until you get your hands on the Magnum, which is even more absurdly powerful.

Getting ridiculously loud and far-away headshots with the Magnum is so satisfying in Shifter. I dumped a couple of clip size mods into it to make it a little formidable whenever I feel like making a fuss.

Seriously, the thing is almost as powerful as the unmodded Sniper Rifle, and fairly accurate too.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

redleader posted:

Environmental protection at level one will let you waltz through gas grenades without taking damage (though JC still coughs like a middle school stoner). It also protects against karkian poison and the grey's radiation blasts, rendering both of them laughably weak once you've tossed a few upgrade cans into it. Of course, it does what it says on the tin as well: protects against hazardous environments.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Astroturf Man posted:

Sometime I've got to give that guy a flamethrower.
Time for me to load up a save, methinks :flame:

edit: "I'm not carrying anything you could use effectively." :argh:

newsomnuke fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 24, 2010

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better
Give him the prod with a lot of ammo. He tortures the poo poo out of Jojo :science:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

That's why Renton knows his poo poo. Prodding with the prod.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
And that's why Shifter is the best mod.

In Shifter you can hand armable NPCs any weapon with the Drop Weapon key (default: Tab).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I just finished the second mission on my first playthrough, the warehouse one. Holy crap this game. Why hasn't this design philosophy ever been followed up on? This is more sandbox than sandbox games.