Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
If you have a problem where your fingers are often changing size the I would recommend the FingerMate. They work great and solve the problem elegantly. http://www.fingermate.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

JohnnyRnR posted:

If you have a problem where your fingers are often changing size the I would recommend the FingerMate. They work great and solve the problem elegantly. http://www.fingermate.com/

I wrapped the ring in Parafilm, a really neat plastic wrap used in labs, and got it to fit perfectly. I think that they sell little plastic inserts for rings, I might do that over doing the more extreme expandable shank thing. Especially since the ring you sold Doc Faustus has such nice detail around most of the shank.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AnnaBanana posted:

Although my current boyfriend and I aren't planning on getting married, we've discussed differences in marriage customs. He is an Iranian Baha'i, and they do an engagement period of 3 months. Is this in any way enough time to plan a wedding? I've read parts of the thread, and all of my friends who are/were engaged do it for at least a year so all the planning goes well.

Ours is being comfortably organized in under four months, though we did get a planner to help us. Two months left now and basically music and a few small details need to get done (40 person secular wedding in a hotel).

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

So, my goonfella and I are engaged and I have NO idea where to start wedding planning. Any ideas for what to plan first? Sorry if this has already been asked, but it's a big ol' thread.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

dopaMEAN posted:

I wrapped the ring in Parafilm, a really neat plastic wrap used in labs, and got it to fit perfectly. I think that they sell little plastic inserts for rings, I might do that over doing the more extreme expandable shank thing. Especially since the ring you sold Doc Faustus has such nice detail around most of the shank.

That is a great idea. We have tons of Parafilm in the lab, and the fiancee's ring is slightly large on her.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
My boyfriend is joining the AirForce and we had been talking about marriage anyway for a long time. We just decided to order a ring to solidify what is pretty much already an engagement. (this one)

Anyways since it's short notice I was thinking about just getting married in the courthouse with our parents as witnesses and then doing a celebration or family gathering type thing for the rest of our family afterwards.

We just don't want to spend a ton of money or planning time to be honest. Do any of you have experience with something like that? I'd like to hear some ideas or suggestions.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Bewildrbeast posted:

So, my goonfella and I are engaged and I have NO idea where to start wedding planning. Any ideas for what to plan first? Sorry if this has already been asked, but it's a big ol' thread.
Congratulations! Goon love really is the best love. :)

I'd recommend reading here to get a lot of the basics. I tried reading other wedding websites and they all just made me feel bad about being poor.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

calandryll posted:

That is a great idea. We have tons of Parafilm in the lab, and the fiancee's ring is slightly large on her.

It gets *filthy* shockingly quickly, and I wear gloves all day long.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Awesome Kristin posted:

My boyfriend is joining the AirForce and we had been talking about marriage anyway for a long time. We just decided to order a ring to solidify what is pretty much already an engagement. (this one)

Anyways since it's short notice I was thinking about just getting married in the courthouse with our parents as witnesses and then doing a celebration or family gathering type thing for the rest of our family afterwards.

We just don't want to spend a ton of money or planning time to be honest. Do any of you have experience with something like that? I'd like to hear some ideas or suggestions.

I don't have any advice for you re: wedding, but I wanted to let you know that you should REALLY return that ring. You just paid $500 for $15 worth of cheap Russian brilliant CZs and a really light weight gold setting. DNL is well known for their fraudulent advertising and shoddy practices. Sorry you guys got sucked in.

If you guys want to go with simulated stones, I strongly recommend going with https://www.moissaniteco.com for Moissanite or https://www.ashadiamonds.com for some excellently cut, diamond coated CZs (they stand up much better over time and look SOOOO much nicer and more realistic). Here's a thread with a bunch of comparison pictures of a DNL stone and an ASHA stone http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/433134/fpart/1

Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up. Congrats on your engagement!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Lannie posted:

I don't have any advice for you re: wedding, but I wanted to let you know that you should REALLY return that ring. You just paid $500 for $15 worth of cheap Russian brilliant CZs and a really light weight gold setting. DNL is well known for their fraudulent advertising and shoddy practices. Sorry you guys got sucked in.

If you guys want to go with simulated stones, I strongly recommend going with https://www.moissaniteco.com for Moissanite or https://www.ashadiamonds.com for some excellently cut, diamond coated CZs (they stand up much better over time and look SOOOO much nicer and more realistic). Here's a thread with a bunch of comparison pictures of a DNL stone and an ASHA stone http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/433134/fpart/1

Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up. Congrats on your engagement!

Oh man thanks. I'll look into that stuff. I feel so terrible now though. And I needed that ring soon. =(

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Awesome Kristin posted:

Oh man thanks. I'll look into that stuff. I feel so terrible now though. And I needed that ring soon. =(

Don't feel terrible! Feel glad you're not getting a ripoff ring!

As for needing it soon-- remember: your engagement is in your heart, not on your finger. I still sympathize. How frustrating!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Awesome Kristin posted:

Mike (the owner of both sites) has a great team and they're pretty fast. I've has a necklace made by them in the past and it took about a week between production, shipping, and receiving it.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Lannie posted:

Mike (the owner of both sites) has a great team and they're pretty fast. I've has a necklace made by them in the past and it took about a week between production, shipping, and receiving it.

Thank you. That's pretty comforting. We're visiting my fiance's family out of state next month which is why I wanted it so soon.

I guess for my price range this might be a good alternative. http://www.moissaniteco.com/6prong-trellis-round-moissanite-solitaire-ring-p-8244.html

It's one of the few with a stone that isn't poking out a mile above the band. I'll cancel my order tomorrow with DNL and hopefully they will get my money back to me quickly.

Awesome Kristin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 24, 2010

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Bewildrbeast posted:

It's really hard to tell someone where to start, because it depends on what is important to you. If you're really set on a city hall ceremony, look at what the procedures are. If you're really attached to a particular date, see what venues are available and then pick from what is available. If you're really attached to a particular venue, see what dates it is available. If you're doing a religious ceremony, look into what restrictions there are (e.g. if you're Jewish, you can't get married on Saturday, etc.). Set a budget right away, but make sure you're a little bit flexible with that budget because you'll probably spend more than what you originally think you will. Also make sure your budget reflects what you can pay for. Please don't start your marriage in debt because you absolutely have to ride down the aisle on a white horse. (Hint: you don't absolutely need that.)

But the first part is juggling the venue/place of worship (if applicable)/your calendar/your budget. After a date and venue are secured and you have a lot of out of town guests, look into getting a block of rooms at a nearby hotel. My fiance and I waited too long and now we're stuck telling people to look on expedia and travelocity for deals in conjunction with flights.

Be forewarned: there will be some things that you think will be completely unnecessary. Things I thought I didn't need but wound up realizing I would need:

- a color scheme
- centerpieces
- the ability to listen to people's ridiculous ideas while remaining gracious.

No matter what you do, someone will find something wrong with it or want you to do something differently. Just remember that all that matters is you and your future spouse. If it's perfect to you, then who cares what others think, right?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Holy poo poo, wedding in 13 days!
:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Lannie posted:

I take great exception to your post for a couple reasons:

1) Gemology lab tests have shown that the "diamond coating" on CZ's means absolutely nothing. In most cases the coatings are so thin that they are impossible to detect. Coating is solely done for marketing purposes and product differentiation.

2) A diamond coating on a CZ will not make it stronger. Diamond coatings on CZ add zero benefit. There are numerous published papers to back these facts up.

3) CZ's are a great diamond simulant on their own. Their color is often in the E-F range, and there are many different qualities of CZ. Hand cut CZ will be beautiful, but it will always be less durable than diamond. There is nothing inherently wrong with CZ.

4) The thread you linked to suggest that an Asha CZ is better than a DNL CZ is hosted on a forum owned by the people behind the Asha CZ. Honestly - It's marketing, and particularly bad marketing at that.

5) The fact that there exists a commerce website named "Asha Diamonds" when the products being sold are clearly diamond simulants is, in my opinion, a purposeful attempt to be deceptive and in no way establishes the higher moral ground that you claim exists over Diamond Nexus Labs.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
This is a perfect example of why good communication is important when buying jewelry. There are a million misconceptions that exist in the marketplace (some accidental, and some outright deceptions for money).

Jewelry markets bear similarities to the markets for insurance, art, or financial instruments. If you don't know what you're doing then you really need someone who makes it their job to know the ins and outs.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

JohnnyRnR posted:

I take great exception to your post for a couple reasons:

1) Gemology lab tests have shown that the "diamond coating" on CZ's means absolutely nothing. In most cases the coatings are so thin that they are impossible to detect. Coating is solely done for marketing purposes and product differentiation.

2) A diamond coating on a CZ will not make it stronger. Diamond coatings on CZ add zero benefit. There are numerous published papers to back these facts up.

3) CZ's are a great diamond simulant on their own. Their color is often in the E-F range, and there are many different qualities of CZ. Hand cut CZ will be beautiful, but it will always be less durable than diamond. There is nothing inherently wrong with CZ.

4) The thread you linked to suggest that an Asha CZ is better than a DNL CZ is hosted on a forum owned by the people behind the Asha CZ. Honestly - It's marketing, and particularly bad marketing at that.

5) The fact that there exists a commerce website named "Asha Diamonds" when the products being sold are clearly diamond simulants is, in my opinion, a purposeful attempt to be deceptive and in no way establishes the higher moral ground that you claim exists over Diamond Nexus Labs.

I have Asha, Signity, and other misc stones, and there's a definite visual difference between them. The Ashas are cut to near hearts and arrows proportions and I've yet to have one cloud up on me. Signities and my misc stones have no cut uniformity and several have clouded within a few months of wear. Hand cut doesn't necessarily mean well cut.

I never said that the Asha's coating would make it stronger, I said they hold up better over time. I was referring to cloudiness, I suppose I could have specified that. My bad. I also said it based on personal experience, not from anything I've read from others or based on marketing.

I fully agree with you that there's nothing wrong with CZs and I agree that they're less durable than diamonds. I'm not sure what the point in saying that was though, seeing as I never made a statement comparing them to diamonds.

I'm a member of the forum I linked to, and that thread isn't there for "marketing" purposes. It's based on actual customer opinion. Neither Less (the owner of Asha and BetterThanDiamond), nor anyone else that works for him created the thread. I linked to the pictures because there is a clear visual difference between the Asha and DNL stones.

Mike, the owner of ashadiamonds never tries to hide the fact that the product he's selling is a CZ. I don't particularly like the name of his company, but it wasn't created to be deceptive. I'm well acquainted with him and his wife and believe you me they aren't sneaky people.

I'm totally down with other brands of CZs. As I've mentioned, I have a bunch. They range from $2 stones to $200 stones. From my own personal experience I fully endorse that Ashas hold up extraordinarily well (I have several going on 3+ years with heavy use and 0 visual wear). The fact that DNL fraudulently states that they're "man made diamonds" and tries to sneak around the fact that they're really plain old CZs is just disgusting. For that reason alone no one should buy from them. Then on top of that, their CZs are poor quality and to waste SO much money on a product that won't hold up more than 4 - 5 months is just unfortunate. In addition to their CZs being crap, they use lightweight settings that aren't anywhere near the value of what the customer is being charged. I know ashadiamonds uses high quality settings and that the customer isn't being gorged on their purchase. That's why I recommended them in specific. I know there are plenty of other CZ retailers, but I'm gonna recommend what I know and trust.

I can also recommend Wink Jones' work (https://www.freecz.com) and "his brand" of CZs. I can't recall offhand who the maker is, only their cutter.. They're also fantastic CZs and not coated (if that makes you feel better, Johnny). They're much less expensive than Ashas and they hold up well. From what I've been told by friends (who have had both Ashas and Wink's stones for longer than I've had mine) they don't hold up quite as well as Ashas, but they're very satisfied regardless. I know that his production time is generally longer than Mike's, but he does a lot of wonderful custom work.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
So the pre-wife and I are doing a rehearsal dinner and a day-after-wedding brunch. There will be around 200 people invited to the wedding; about 90 of them will be invited to the brunch, but only 60 to the rehearsal dinner. Everyone going to the rehearsal dinner will be going to the brunch, but of course, not vice versa.

We'll be sending out invites in a few months, and in the invites we'll be including inserts inviting people to the brunch and rehearsal dinner, just a simple "you're invited to the brunch, please rsvp, blah blah blah."

We can envision people getting pissy at us at some point if person A is invited to the brunch, person B is not, and person A says "see ya at the brunch tomorrow!" or something like that to person B.

We're running into a roadblock, though. How do we phrase it to let people know that if they're invited to the brunch, to maybe not tell other people in case the person they're talking to isn't invited to the brunch? We've been told to phrase it as "you're invited to a small gathering of family & friends" but I'm concerned that isn't blunt enough. The other option we're considering is the "gently caress it" option and just treating it like a normal invite and letting the chips fall where they may. Most of the people not attending the brunch are on the periphery or semi-periphery of our lives and it wouldn't make us feel too badly at all if they had a moment of feeling shunned. We're people pleasers, though, and would love to avoid this with some creative wording.

Thoughts?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Zaftig posted:

Congratulations! Goon love really is the best love. :)

I'd recommend reading here to get a lot of the basics. I tried reading other wedding websites and they all just made me feel bad about being poor.

Awesome, thanks! I can't stop looking at that site now, so many neat ideas!

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.

Abbeh posted:

Holy poo poo, wedding in 13 days!
:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

I know the feeling!! It feels so not right to be saying "Gosh, I hope all this rain clears up before next weekend." Exciting though! Are you all ready?

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Awesome Kristin posted:

I did that sort of thing first time I got married--we had the immediate family come by our apartment, got a JOP, etc.. It was mainly because we couldn't afford anything else at the time. I'm getting remarried this summer, and we're doing the most budget-minded wedding we can, but not to that point. (I changed in 20 years, this time I want a really nice dress, some friends, some food, some cool centerpieces and I want to throw a party. How loving expensive that has allllllll become.)
You'll have a great time no matter where or how you get married, you're marrying your sweetheart, there's nothing better than that. What I would do first is find out what date is most convenient for your family and your boyfriend's schedule--if a bunch of them live out of town, you'll want to find out what day/night/weekend/whichever way you're doing it will work best for them. After that, it's pretty open. You can get a small cake at any bakery, or you can make one yourself, or maybe a relative will volunteer. When you do your wedding without the hoopla and bells and whistles, it's quite a cheap affair. I think we spent a few hundred bucks for the Justice of the Peace and the cake and my dress, and I *think* maybe my ex got a new tie? But that was about it.
Good luck and congrats!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Sneaky Monkey posted:

I know the feeling!! It feels so not right to be saying "Gosh, I hope all this rain clears up before next weekend." Exciting though! Are you all ready?

As ready as I'll ever be! Luckily (well, mostly luckily) my mom stepped in and took over the job of wedding planner, so as far as we can tell everything's all set. The only thing not completely planned is the reception back at our house for our friends - we have 35 confirmed but about 20 people have read the invite but not responded :argh: just say no, it's ok.

There's going to be an awful lot of cars on our lawn...

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

errol _flynn posted:

Good luck and congrats!

Thanks for the info. :)

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Would the custom-make be worth the extra cost that will go into the purchase just because I'm not trusting of a site that has exactly what I want?
I was able to buy the engagement ring custom made for a cheaper price than it would have cost me buying it retail.

Significantly cheaper.

Custom does not seem to equal expense when it comes to engagement rings.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Pardon me if this has been asked somewhere in the last 80 pages... :)

Any idea where one would look for trying to find some company / person capable of making a custom ring design, as in "from scratch, here's the design I'd like to have made" ? I keep finding things with 'custom' stuff where it's really just throwing together a few pre-existing sets of components, and that's not really what I'm looking for.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My best friend is getting married this weekend and she asked me to be her maid of honor a while back. She asked if I could be prepared to make a speech/toast, and I said of course, but I've never been to a wedding! I have no idea what I'm supposed to say. She moved away when we were juniors in high school (2005) and I have only physically seen her once since then, two years ago, for a week when I met her now-fiance so I don't really have any stories of the two of them. All I can think of is saying I'm happy for them and wishing them luck. What do I say?? :confused:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Well, from what I've seen at weddings, keep the speech as short and sweet as possible and that oughta be fine.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

drat Bananas posted:

My best friend is getting married this weekend and she asked me to be her maid of honor a while back. She asked if I could be prepared to make a speech/toast, and I said of course, but I've never been to a wedding! I have no idea what I'm supposed to say. She moved away when we were juniors in high school (2005) and I have only physically seen her once since then, two years ago, for a week when I met her now-fiance so I don't really have any stories of the two of them. All I can think of is saying I'm happy for them and wishing them luck. What do I say?? :confused:

To get some ideas, start with a simple Google search. I was maid of honour at my sister's wedding, and we've never been incredibly emotionally close or inseparable-like, though we do get along well. I'm also terrible at speeches. I was able to find a variety of ideas online ranging from mushy super-close to "I haven't seen this person in years" -- don't copy them outright (unless you don't care about that sort of thing), but use them for ideas, combine different aspects of different speeches, etc. I was able to alter some ideas I saw with things I wanted to say and deliver a short but awesome speech. Good luck!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

drat Bananas posted:

I'd say one thing to avoid is the speech that goes like this:
I'VE known Sally for TEN YEARS and WE ARE BEST FRIENDS and I LOVE GOING SHOPPING WITH HER AND WE ARE SO CLOSE and oh she's marrying this guy.

I hear that at maybe every other wedding... and usually from the girls.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
oh god, I'm getting married in exactly one month. what have we forgotten and who have we not invited and will the photos come out ok and will we be able to dance by then and poo poo I have to cut checks now and and :byodood:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

ixo posted:

oh god, I'm getting married in exactly one month. what have we forgotten and who have we not invited and will the photos come out ok and will we be able to dance by then and poo poo I have to cut checks now and and :byodood:

Hey one month buddy. :)

Take a deep breath and remember: it's all good. Especially if you just accept that the dancing thing is a total loss, ha.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

ixo posted:

Wow, I'm feeling this way and it's 6 months out...in one month I may be absolutly insane.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Nine days! :gonk:

Welcome to the week of petty stupid fighting over every little thing because we're just too stressed out to get along.

You washed the rugs with the clothes!? HOW COULD YOU!? :argh:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How long would it take for dance lessons to make us reasonably competent? Getting married in 2 months, but I'm not going to see her after June 15 until the wedding itself.

Lost cause, at this point?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

FairGame posted:

How long would it take for dance lessons to make us reasonably competent? Getting married in 2 months, but I'm not going to see her after June 15 until the wedding itself.

I don't think it'd be a lost cause. I took dance lessons with my boyfriend a couple years ago and we still remember the basic foxtrot at least. I imagine if you worked at it and practiced, you'd have it pretty well down.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

FairGame posted:

We literally took one dance lesson, learned an easy box-like step that turned in a circle so that we weren't just staying in one place. We apparently didn't look like complete imbeciles on the dance floor. To be clear neither my husband nor I had ever danced before.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Fire In The Disco posted:

We literally took one dance lesson, learned an easy box-like step that turned in a circle so that we weren't just staying in one place. We apparently didn't look like complete imbeciles on the dance floor. To be clear neither my husband nor I had ever danced before.

How did you manage to do that? My fiance and I looked into lessons, and all we were offered was a minimum of five lessons for $400, and that seems a little pricey and inflexible. (What if we only need two or three lessons before we feel comfortable enough?)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

vanessa posted:

How did you manage to do that? My fiance and I looked into lessons, and all we were offered was a minimum of five lessons for $400, and that seems a little pricey and inflexible. (What if we only need two or three lessons before we feel comfortable enough?)

One of the bridal expos in our area had a dance studio giving out one free lesson. Might to look around to see if they offer anything like that in your area.

Speaking of which we still haven't decided on a song. My fiancee wasn't too keen on the idea of dancing to Stayin' Alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
The studio we went to offered a "try us out" lesson at a discounted price. My mother in law paid for us to go.