Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

polycount is literally the second greatest forum on the internet, next to something awful. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fearian posted:

polycount is literally the second greatest forum on the internet, next to something awful. :colbert:

You spelled Cg Hub wrong. :smug:

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
CGHub is probably one of the nicest places I've ever seen. Occasionally when I favorite an image, I'll get a message back from the artist falling over themselves to thank me. It's weird and cool.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

keyframe posted:

You spelled Cg Hub wrong. :smug:

CGHub doesn't have the greatest forum, it has the best gallery. Besides the hundreds of people who just take pictures of females and paint over them.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

CG Hub is awesome but I stant by my :colbert:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Saw this article floating around today:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1990803,00.html

It's pretty accurate, but the last comment about a VFX artist getting billing is pretty silly. There's way too many people involved in a shot for one person to take credit for it.

Then again... :doh:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

BigKOfJustice posted:

Saw this article floating around today:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1990803,00.html

It's pretty accurate, but the last comment about a VFX artist getting billing is pretty silly. There's way too many people involved in a shot for one person to take credit for it.

Then again... :doh:

Good read, I agree with most of what they are saying there. I don't think VFX artists will ever get star billing. It doesn't make any sense. Joe public doesn't give a poo poo who made the blue people or who flooded New York as long as it looks good. It would be nice to see our names further up the credits though.

The capacity argument is interesting though. If it really does reach the point that a movie can't be made because there isn't enough capacity it could give the VFX houses more bargaining power. There does seem to be a shortage of experienced people at the moment. I know of a good half dozen studios that are trying to find FX-TDs and having a really hard time.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Check out this sweet animation and models for the london olympic mascots guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KatN365jaBg

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I wasnt sure how to feel about that first, then I threw up a little bit.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

keyframe posted:

Ugh, that's nasty.

For some reason I really can't stand it when characters have ridiculously oversized* bobble-heads, especially when they drift around weightlessly like that.

That really belongs in the GBS "hokey old computer graphics" thread.

*A little bit of stylised oversized-head-ness is OK, but too much and it just looks fugly.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

The capacity argument is interesting though. If it really does reach the point that a movie can't be made because there isn't enough capacity it could give the VFX houses more bargaining power. There does seem to be a shortage of experienced people at the moment. I know of a good half dozen studios that are trying to find FX-TDs and having a really hard time.

That's why a few studios are concerned about US based studios shutting down.

I've seen major, MAJOR projects that was going to be done in LA or San Francisco and had to go elsewhere because they were bidding at a time when all the local vfx houses were fully booked.

A few producers are planning ahead and will start preproduction earlier in order to get their foot in the door.

As for credits, if I recall correctly, on one big summer blockbuster film a few years back, we got a Visual effects by.. single card credit right at the start of the credits, with our studio getting additional credits immediately after the cast but before the grips, best boys, gaffers, caterers, dog walkers, etc.

I'm not sure how we pulled that one off, it's very rare. These days, your names at the butt end of the credits reel with everyone credited under Digital Artists and 4 columns of names projectile vomited at the screen.

It could be worse, you can work your rear end off for a few years and never get a credit at all. I worked on one film in 2005 which had over 1000 crew at our company alone. Only half got credited. It's pretty common actually come to think about it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

keyframe posted:

:barf:

loving god drat. A perfect example of how design by commitiee doesn't work.

I found an article that stated the final design was vetted by focus groups, so either young kids really digged this design, or the others were worse and this was the "best" option. :doh:

Horrible.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Focus groups are nearly always housewives and 5-10 year old kids. Both of which have awful taste and shouldnt be allowed to make decisions...

I did some more afterburn testing :)
Think this might be good enough now, we're actually a lot further out than I thought.

in other news, my catchpa for this image was 'car drove', lol

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BigKOfJustice posted:

It could be worse, you can work your rear end off for a few years and never get a credit at all. I worked on one film in 2005 which had over 1000 crew at our company alone. Only half got credited. It's pretty common actually come to think about it.

Yea even though we were the only studio for a feature I worked on we had to do a lottery to see whose names will get into the credits because they didnt have enough spots. It is loving retarded.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

Good read, I agree with most of what they are saying there. I don't think VFX artists will ever get star billing. It doesn't make any sense. Joe public doesn't give a poo poo who made the blue people or who flooded New York as long as it looks good. It would be nice to see our names further up the credits though.

Any in LA? :v:

Heading back there in June and starting to look around at what's going on.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

keyframe posted:

Yea even though we were the only studio for a feature I worked on we had to do a lottery to see whose names will get into the credits because they didnt have enough spots. It is loving retarded.

That's a dumb way. You always get people who get the shaft on these things [programmers and pipeline] even though their work is more important in some ways to ensure work gets done otherwise artists would be sitting around screaming nothing is working.

At work the process is a bit more secret, but generally it involves how many hours you billed to a show, your seniority, and how much work you did and whatever or not you got shafted on a previous big project.

Because theres a degree of critical evaluation there, they keep the process secret to avoid people getting butt hurt. I agree with factoring in the hours assessment.

Want to know if your studio has too many chiefs and not enough indians? Or that titles are bullshit? If you are credited under Digital Artists, it's either the official reason "We need to do this to fit as many credits on our part of the reel as possible" or... "Oh poo poo, we gave out bullshit titles in lieu of raises, and we can't have 10 leads, 10 supes and 2 shot td's :v:"

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ratmann posted:

Any in LA? :v:

Heading back there in June and starting to look around at what's going on.

Hmm I think Hydraulix was a month or so ago, are they in LA?. But the ones I am thinking of are London and Vancouver. MPC London and Vancouver, Framestore, Dneg, Image Engine.

I've had a pretty good run with credits over the last few years. The only stuff I have been uncredited on have been short jobs where it was outsourced work from another studio.

Avatar is the last big fx movie I can remember where VFX is well up the credits.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Anybody going to Siggraph? I have decided to go on the spur of a moment. We should have a goon meetup. :v:

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

mashed_penguin posted:

Hmm I think Hydraulix was a month or so ago, are they in LA?

Santa Monica.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Is Hydraulix a houdini house?

I know DD/R+H/Asylum usually look for F/X td's on a semi regular basis.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Two boring videos of my Spaceman rig, facial is still in progress of course.

http://www.puppetstring.com/rig_videos/body_rig_1.swf

http://www.puppetstring.com/rig_videos/facial_rig_1.swf

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

keyframe posted:

Anybody going to Siggraph? I have decided to go on the spur of a moment. We should have a goon meetup. :v:

I'd be down for going, but i'm(my boss) isnt sure what relevant info i'd gain from it that I wouldnt find out a month later.
Although we might just not be in it's target market/location...

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I just finished a render of the Gama Issa House and thought I would post it to get everyone's comments and critiques. Im going to do a few more renders of it at some point, specifically one of the stair area.

Click here for the full 1200x931 image.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wow that's really nice!
Only thing that looks somewhat off to me is the reflectiveness of the chair and the lamp. It just doesn't look 'right'.
I think the chair could do with reflectivity reduced a little, not sure on what to do with the lamp though?
Really nice render though dude.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretty nice. I dont mind the lamp reflection but yeah the chair doesnt look quite realistic. Maybe some soft, large scale bump on the surface to make it less of a perfect sphere reflection, and desaturating the reflection a bit?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

TouchToneDialing posted:

I just finished a render of the Gama Issa House and thought I would post it to get everyone's comments and critiques. Im going to do a few more renders of it at some point, specifically one of the stair area.

I want to live in there with my supermodel girlfriend. Thats a awesome render :3:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

TouchToneDialing posted:

I think that looks awesome except for the chair lamp (as has been said). Not only because it's unrealistically reflective, but because it is very clearly reflecting a completely empty house. That lamp is a bit shiny and the reflection of the dark blue chairs(?) in the lamp make the lamp look like it has some jagged edges as if it's the only part of the image without AA. That aside, nice job.

edit: there are some artifacts along the far wall at the ceiling.

sorry for pointing out all the flaws.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 23, 2010

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

TouchToneDialing posted:

This is really beautiful. However, if you're after a "I can't believe that's not a photograph" look, there are a couple things I notice. First, you added some chromatic aberration, so you're obviously trying to recreate the look of a real lens but your geometry is perfectly straight while even the nicest lenses will have some barrel distortion. Artistically, I love how the shot is framed by the architecture so you could just think of it as being corrected in post. Second, you can see from the chair's reflection (which I agree is a bit too much) that there is no camera. I bet you'd really fool people if you could just make out a photographer standing behind a tripod in the shadows.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I'd actually kill the aberation altogether. It's nice for adding the distortion when you're faking hand-held camcorder shots, but not for something like high-end architectural photography. Otherwise, the shot is really well composed and the glow is nicely applied, if a little on the overexposed side.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Can anyone direct me to a good MoCap tutorial and possibly some data that I can use with it?
It seems like a lot of companies ask for that in animation positions.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Starting to combine a bunch of effects for the environment. I have a few more sets of particles to work out still. (mainly a bunch of softer horizon snow dust clouds and also character floor interaction particle systems)

And a not-tweaked-well video of particles and tree blowing in the wind:

https://www.puppetstring.com/environment_test_1.mov

Actually here's another tree, closer up. Materials not final or anything, but trees are a pain and I might as well show it.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hackuma posted:

Can anyone direct me to a good MoCap tutorial and possibly some data that I can use with it?
It seems like a lot of companies ask for that in animation positions.

Animate something badly, bake all of it to keys, then try to make it look good by deleting all of the keyframes again and re-animating it.

Seriously though it depends a lot on how good the mocap quality is. If it's good, you should just go with the flow and let it do its thing without trying to reanimate it all. Sometimes though you do have to just blow away large chunks of keys and re-animate. Also get used to dealing with animation layers.

Aygtets
Nov 8, 2005

I'll fluff your Garfield if you know what I mean.
Has anybody else tried Sculptris yet? It's loving INCREDIBLE. At least for beginners. (Me) And it's free, so why the gently caress not?

This is my first attempt at anything.

It's not amazing or anything, but I did it in about an hour and a half, and again in my first try. Oh, this is also only the second time I've tried to use a 3D modeling program. They're usually clunky and hard to use, this one is so loving easy. The only problem is that now I think I've got to change my major. :(

Aygtets fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 24, 2010

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like Zbrush?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Looks like Zbrush?

Voxels baby.

Edit: Been working on a sculpt in my free time, not supposed to be exact human anatomy but ehh: http://www.curtbinder.com/beastly.jpg

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

tuna posted:

Animate something badly, bake all of it to keys, then try to make it look good by deleting all of the keyframes again and re-animating it.

Seriously though it depends a lot on how good the mocap quality is. If it's good, you should just go with the flow and let it do its thing without trying to reanimate it all. Sometimes though you do have to just blow away large chunks of keys and re-animate. Also get used to dealing with animation layers.

Hm... So basically, if I can key by hand I'm good? I just don't want to lose any opportunities over this.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Ha! I was going to post a link to Sculptris last night. That thing is popping up all over the place. The guy who made it has only been working on it for 6 months or so, too, which is extra impressive.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Hackuma posted:

Hm... So basically, if I can key by hand I'm good? I just don't want to lose any opportunities over this.

Look for some ASF/AMC files out there on google at various universities, look for raw capture data. Take that and try to clean it up with keys, and then try to link up different motions together. Try to be able to troubleshoot hosed up axis's if they aren't consistent [which is more of a rig issue/solution than animation].

As for opportunities, mocap is kind of the lowest end job for animation, typically thats the job you give first timers, although more experienced animators will have to take mocap and run with it, even to the point where they have completely reanimated it.

Thing is you still need to have strong animation skills, so keying by hand is still important. A lot of animators hate working with mocap, but with movies with realistic CG characters it's a requirement.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

BigKOfJustice posted:

Is Hydraulix a houdini house?

I know DD/R+H/Asylum usually look for F/X td's on a semi regular basis.

Yeah I heard that Hydraulix is using Houdini, though some of the ads I've seen they say Max and Maya, weird.

Yeah I'm about to head back and see what might be going on at those shops, not in a big hurry, as I need some time off from this project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Sculptris is a blast. I played with it just now for 10 minutes and have already created what I consider to be the pinnacle of my art career.

Top view of a chicken (laminated, apparently) that a third grader could have easily created:

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 26, 2010