Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n_w_f
Mar 31, 2010

Roydrowsy posted:

Any suggestions on which albums, what order to start listening to einsturzende neubauten? I picked up "Silence is Sexy" a few years ago and love it, but I have a feeling its far more minimalist than some of their other stuff, but i really don't know anything about them.

Their earliest output is far more minimal but could decieve people new to their sound with its reliance on noise and percussion. It wasn't until Halber Mensch (1985) that the band started becoming more comfortable with tangible song structure. I'd recommend that one next. Not always the best listen but seems to define the EN mission statement from that era.

Perpetuum Mobile (2004) is a really natural sounding progression from Silence is Sexy that hits a slightly better balance between Blixa Bargeld's ballad type songs and the interesting percussion the band is known for.

Tabala Rasa (1993) is the band in a transitional phase, and while it's not my favorite, it's arguably their most definitive release. There are songs that hint at the Bad Seeds influence Blixa was steadily carrying over, songs with really clever use of soft-to-loud dynamics and huge excursions into terrifying noise up their with their earliest works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Uncle Meat posted:

Where do I start with the Residents?
I think the general agreement is somewhere between Duck Stab, Third Reich & Roll, and Commercial Album. In general I think the residents are best enjoyed watching as much video as possible

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

JnnyThndrs posted:

I would start with the 2-CD compilation Bee Gee's Greatest Hits. Since the Bee Gees were always a singles bands, buying their albums is something only a completist or huge fan would wanna do. That album has everything from the late Sixties stuff all the way through the disco era.

Alternatively, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack has a ton of disco Bee Gees songs, plus some other interesting-in-a-period-sort-of-way stuff.

Thanks! I am a completist and normally don't like Greatest Hits albums, but I think I'll be taking your advice on this one.

tranceMD
Apr 25, 2006

Forsooth! Methinks thou art no ordinary talking chicken.
Just got referred to this thread and hey this thread is pretty swank! I bring requests.

Pet Shop Boys - Somehow they just flew over my head for a long time. I only recently heard West End Girls for the first time and loved it. So, I'd like more.

Dennis Brown - Very intimidating discography, favorite song off the top of my head would be Rasta Children. Also interested in any especially notable chill/ambient work he may have done.

Elton John - I love pretty much everything on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road but have never gotten around to digging through more of his work, and there is quite a bit of it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

tranceMD posted:

Elton John - I love pretty much everything on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road but have never gotten around to digging through more of his work, and there is quite a bit of it.

Honky Chateau and Madman Across the Water.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

tranceMD posted:

Pet Shop Boys - Somehow they just flew over my head for a long time. I only recently heard West End Girls for the first time and loved it. So, I'd like more.

I've been a PSB fan since the very beginning, so I'm tempted to say "get all of them!". But that's not very realistic, and there are a few not-so-hot ones in there.

I think their best album is Behavior. If you like that, move on to Please (the first album, with "West End Girls"), Actually, Introspective and Very. The next album, Bilingual, is pretty solid too.

After that it starts getting sketchier. There are good songs on all the subsequent albums, but there's a lot of duds too.

You could also go with a best of compilation. PopArt is a good one.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Where should I go with Lungfish? I listened to The Unanimous Hour and it didn't really grab me at all.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

tranceMD posted:

Start with Actually, it's their most accessible album. If you like that, move onto Behaviour and Very, their masterpieces (if that word can be applied to pop albums). After that, go back to the beginning (Please) and go chronologically from there. Really, though, the only bad album they've made is Nightlife and anywhere else would make a good starting point.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Where do I start with Phish? Or The Wildhearts? The Hold Steady?

Divorced And Curious fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 8, 2010

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I liked Mos Def's contributions to the BlakRoc album and noticed he has an extensive catalog.

Inform me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Fuklaw posted:

Where do I start with Phish? Or The Wildhearts? The Hold Steady?

The Hold Steady only have a relatively small amount of LP's, and all of them are pretty ok to great. However, I'd start with Separation Sunday, and then if you like what you hear check out Almost Killed Me and Boys and Girls in America. If that doesn't sate your jones for songs about teens doing teen stuff, go pick up the other two.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

-Atom- posted:

I liked Mos Def's contributions to the BlakRoc album and noticed he has an extensive catalog.

Inform me.

He really only has 5 albums. Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star, Black on Both Sides, and The Ecstatic are his best. As for the various collaborations he has done, you really can't go wrong with a Mos Def verse, he is almost always solid.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

SaintJacques posted:

What's a good place to start with The Gerogerigegege?

You might have heard of Tokyo Anal Dynamite, which is probably their most well known album, but it's really just them being silly in some venue doing "covers" of songs. I'd only check it out if you were super curious, there are probably snippets of it on youtube. Start with Singles 1985-1993, Saturdaynight Big Cock Salaryman, or 45 RPM Performance.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Post-Black Flag Henry Rollins, anyone? Met the guy after one of his spoken word shows the other night and figured I owe it to the man.

I love that this thread refuses to die. :)

Any and all of his Spoken Word performances are worth listening to. That said the very early ones (Human Butt, Live at McCabes, Big Ugly Mouth) tend to have some massively down/depressing moments. If you want his more "funny" style start with The Boxed Life and go forward. The Talk Is Cheap series, [/b]Eric the Pilot[/b] and Think Tank are my personal favorites.

As for Rollins Band. The End of Silence, Weight and Come In And Burn are probably the best places to start. Everything before and after I found to be excessively boring.

Tortilla Tequila
Nov 4, 2009
Where do I start with Ariel Pink?

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life

The Duck of Death posted:

I'm looking to explore some country outside JC and Willie Nelson looks like a good artist to start with, but his body of work is overwhelming. Can anyone help me out?

If you're still there:

Willie Nelson - Countryman

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

back in college I LOVED what I could find of "The Birthday Party", but I've yet to really explore Nick Cave's work with The Bad Seeds.

Where does one starts with Nice Cave and The Bad Seeds? Would Murder Ballads be best?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

If you like the Birthday Party, you should just start with From Her To Eternity and work your way through the discography. If you don't wanna do that and just want one single album as a starting point, I would recommend Tender Prey.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Roydrowsy posted:

back in college I LOVED what I could find of "The Birthday Party", but I've yet to really explore Nick Cave's work with The Bad Seeds.

Where does one starts with Nice Cave and The Bad Seeds? Would Murder Ballads be best?

Murder Ballads has a few solid tunes, but also a bunch of poo poo, so I wouldn't start with it. Tender Prey is easily his best, then I'd give the '80s stuff a whirl if you're into BP.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Roydrowsy posted:

Everyone starts with Murder Ballads it seems, I did and it its a great album but Henry's Dream is my favorite.

While you're at it, Nick Cave's other band "Grinderman" album is pretty great if you like Nick Cave when he's focusing on rocking.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Ufomammut?

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Where can I start with Yo La Tengo and Built to Spill?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Harry Privates posted:

Where can I start with Yo La Tengo and Built to Spill?

YLT has a pretty solid discography if you ask me, but I recommend starting at I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One. If it doesn't grab you (or even if it does) then try And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

For Built to Spill I'd suggest There's Nothing Wrong with Love. It has less long songs than subsequent albums, which are more hit or miss in my opinion.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

where do I start with Sun Ra?

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

People will tell you either the late 50s/early 60s material or the late 60s/early 70s material. I like the latter more. Heliocentric Worlds, Magic City and Atlantis should be easy to find (if nothing else, almost all of it's on emusic).

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What Prince album should I go for next?

Ones I already like: Around The World In A Day, Controversy, Dirty Mind, 1999, Purple Rain, Lotus Flower.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Wheres a good place to begin with Pat Metheny?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What Prince album should I go for next?

Ones I already like: Around The World In A Day, Controversy, Dirty Mind, 1999, Purple Rain, Lotus Flower.

Sign of the Times

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Where should I begin with the post-punk/industrial band Chrome? It looks like they had a solid string of albums and I don't know which would be best to start with.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
"Half Machine Lip Moves" is easily the most "rockin" of the Chrome albums and has some cool garage-y sounding production. Most of the songs completely change directions in the middle and go from (almost) straightforward garage rock to weird, almost danceable rhythm things with guitar solos over them.

My favorite is "Red Exposure," though that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion. It has more "warm" production, but is a lot creepier, and even has an almost-pop song on it ("Electric Chair").

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

m0therfux0r posted:

"Half Machine Lip Moves" is easily the most "rockin" of the Chrome albums and has some cool garage-y sounding production. Most of the songs completely change directions in the middle and go from (almost) straightforward garage rock to weird, almost danceable rhythm things with guitar solos over them.

My favorite is "Red Exposure," though that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion. It has more "warm" production, but is a lot creepier, and even has an almost-pop song on it ("Electric Chair").
Half Machine Lip Moves is also readily available as a double album with Alien Soundtracks; those two are what got me into Chrome, and the beginning of their career is a pretty good place to start.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

-Atom- posted:

Inform me.

His last album is excellent.

And, IMO, his contribution to the last Gorillaz record was the best track on the album, though many disagree, I guess?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I had never heard of Chrome before but they're awesome. Thanks to the person asking about them and the person who provided the suggestion. I bought the double MP3 album on Amazon for $7.99 :)

me your dad fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 4, 2010

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Farts Domino posted:

I think the general agreement is somewhere between Duck Stab, Third Reich & Roll, and Commercial Album. In general I think the residents are best enjoyed watching as much video as possible

This is the truth. I'd also recommend picking up a copy of Eskimo if you're into the more conceptual, storytelling side of things. I also find Tweedles! to be a great, recent album of theirs which loosely tells the story of a psychopath / failed clown.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do I start with John Zorn? I already have Naked City and love it, but can't find more of his music.

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT
Where do I start with:
Steely Dan
Thee Silver Mt. Zion
?

ARE CHILDREN
Nov 11, 2007

Where do I start with The Fall?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Return to Sender posted:

Where do I start with:
Steely Dan

I don't think there's one obvious entry point. Their first five albums are all strong, each with its own minor variations. I would recommend sampling some of each. Since you have to start somewhere, I'd say Countdown to Ecstacy but I think Katy Lied or The Royal Scam would also do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ARE CHILDREN posted:

Where do I start with The Fall?

I started with Grotesque (After The Gramme) and Hex Enduction Hour, the latter being my favorite, but you really can't go wrong with any album from the stretch of studio work beginning with Live At The Witch Trials through Bend Sinister imo.